Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowds gathering in Galway

Options
  • 29-09-2020 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I was shocked to see, first hand, the total lack of responsibility shown by the students on the opening night.
    What will it take to get younger folk to view the current crisis more seriously?
    Will loved ones or relatives need to die before they cop on?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EddieHoareFG/status/1310697801211351040

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Covid19 wrote: »
    I was shocked to see, first hand, the total lack of responsibility shown by the students

Really? Honestly how can anyone be surprised at this?

It's a weekly if not daily occurrence around the country at this stage, last week it was the lot in the flats in dublin, the week before it was the group that gathered for the golfing event.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

I was shocked to see, first hand, the total lack of responsibility shown by the students on the opening night.
    What will it take to get younger folk to view the current crisis more seriously?

Hyperbole, much?

If it was the local Lions Club of grannies out playing dominos with no masks on, fair enough.

But they’re students, after starting college and not in the at-risk group basically living in the same house/block. Outside too.

At this stage of the show, you either follow all things NPHET/RTÉ or you can decipher for yourself what’s worth tut tutting at and what isn’t.

You can be sure there’s vested interest people taking to twitter et al now calling for all sorts against those students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Delighted to see them out living their lives.

How long do you expect them to put their lives on hold for?

It's already been 6 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

I wasn't shocked at all OP. Country is full of selfish self entitled gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

https://twitter.com/RomanShortall/status/1310862126614032384

I think this is a reasonable point. They're at the same risk as the teenagers (i.e none). There might have been a bit more singing and spraying. If anything, they'll have less spread going back to their student pods than the kids going home to parents and grandparents.

Best reply: "The students on Spanish arch are enjoying themselves, something strictly forbidden in Covid Ireland."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

What are the consequences for non compliance with the guidance? That's right. Fcuk all.
    It appears to me that most people are saying one thing and going another. Rules are for thee and not for me.
    Start cracking skulls or just abandon this charade and get back to living again. No half measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

3xh wrote: »
    Hyperbole, much?

If it was the local Lions Club of grannies out playing dominos with no masks on, fair enough.

But they’re students, after starting college and not in the at-risk group basically living in the same house/block. Outside too.

At this stage of the show, you either follow all things NPHET/RTÉ or you can decipher for yourself what’s worth tut tutting at and what isn’t.

You can be sure there’s vested interest people taking to twitter et al now calling for all sorts against those students.

Again, there is the constant line "but they are in the not at risk group". These not at risk young adults will pass the virus to the more compromised demographics, who may die from it. It's pretty simple Science.
    I'm sure you are a reasonably intelligent person, but excusing a blatant disregard for those at risk by saying that its ok, the kids will be alright, is crazy.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Really? Honestly how can anyone be surprised at this?

It's a weekly if not daily occurrence around the country at this stage, last week it was the lot in the flats in dublin, the week before it was the group that gathered for the golfing event.

Actually, that's not the case. I live in the West and there is widespread compliance across the board, Galway being the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

3xh wrote: »
    Hyperbole, much?

That does not give them a pass. They still have to adhere to the guidelines set out.

Do you think all these people have no family settings and do not return home? No elderley relatives or family friends in their communities.

Cop on ffs. Fair enough, they are young and its tough for them but they still need to exercise some degree of common sense.

One case has been the case of 56 cases. Think about that impact for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

How long do expect them to put their lives on hold for?

Too right, and to see some of the comments people have been making on facebook, absolute joke, one person commented saying "make them dig the graves for the People that die from covid", people are very weird lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Governments fault for wanting the colleges open but the colleges themselves don't want to open. We've students with probably 2 hour of classes a week in college and the rest of the week free. Can't blame them for filling their time like this. If the government just said that colleges can't open then that would reduce house parties considerably

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How long do expect them to put their lives on hold for?

Imagine the elderly across Europe that are still alive who lived during WW2, and maybe the ones old enough to actually have served in WW2 seeing these arguments now. They must thing this generation are very soft altogether if these "lockdowns" are too tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How many are planning to visit their granny in the next fortnight?

Hulk Hands wrote: »

I think this is a reasonable point. They're at the same risk as the teenagers (i.e none). There might have been a bit more singing and spraying. If anything, they'll have less spread going back to their student pods than the kids going home to parents and grandparents.

Best reply: "The students on Spanish arch are enjoying themselves, something strictly forbidden in Covid Ireland."

In fairness, those of us with children in school and older folk at home would have to agree with him.

The bottom line is, nature will take it's course. Either there will be a huge spike in deaths and in reports of it spreading, or the virus is nothing like we are led to believe. In my opinion, groups like the one in Galway shouldbe monitored to see exactly what effects, if any, such a gathering will have in two weeks within their extended families and communities. It's the only definitive way of knowing what the virus is actually doing at the moment. It would be an interesting study.

Actually, that's not the case. I live in the West and there is widespread compliance across the board, Galway being the exception.

Did you not see the same scenes in Kilkee a couple of months back? I've heard of huge house parties in a couple of Mayo towns. Galway city had basically none of the disease numbers up until this weekend, Loughrea was the source of cases in the county. Nowhere is fully compliant

Righty wrote: »
    Too right, and to see some of the comments people have been making on facebook, absolute joke, one person commented saying "make them dig the graves for the People that die from covid", people are very weird lately.

Stop it's gone beyond a joke at this stage we all need to get on with our lives and learn to live with it rather than in fear of it.

I hold no ill will towards those students as they are just doing what most young people do, just out having a good time with some friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Again, there is the constant line "but they are in the not at risk group". These not at risk young adults will pass the virus to the more compromised demographics, who may die from it. It's pretty simple Science.
    I'm sure you are a reasonably intelligent person, but excusing a blatant disregard for those at risk by saying that its ok, the kids will be alright, is crazy.

Something doesn't miraculously become 'science' just because you call it that. I think the word you were looking for is 'conjecture'.

titan18 wrote: »
    Imagine the elderly across Europe that are still alive who lived during WW2, and maybe the ones old enough to actually have served in WW2 seeing these arguments now. They must thing this generation are very soft altogether if these "lockdowns" are too tough.

Yeah cos fighting a war against the Nazis is the same thing as fighting a Pandemic that has a 0.01% chance of killing them give me a break ffs :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Governments fault for wanting the colleges open but the colleges themselves don't want to open. We've students with probably 2 hour of classes a week in college and the rest of the week free. Can't blame them for filling their time like this. If the government just said that colleges can't open then that would reduce house parties considerably

How would colleges not opening reduce house parties in the slightest ?

There's been house parties throughout when colleges were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Blame the colleges. They take the money of thousands of kids, insist that they pay for their accommodation and then leave them without absolutely nothing to do.

Why open the colleges? Why make these kids pay their deposits? The colleges have brought them all down to Galway, left them with nothing to do at all and then get surprised when they have a few cans.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    That does not give them a pass. They still have to adhere to the guidelines set out.

Do you think all these people have no family settings and do not return home? No elderley relatives or family friends in their communities.

Cop on ffs. Fair enough, they are young and its tough for them but they still need to exercise some degree of common sense.

True. That occurred in Elphin. Near where I live. One pub owner infected 56 people in a 40 minute period, while knowing he had tested positive. Yet we still see people scoffing at the veracity of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

What about the people they interact with? are they all at zero risk too? These people have clearly shown they don't care about the restrictions so why would they be distancing from people that are at risk. They want to have a bit of craic and balls to potential consequences.

Something doesn't miraculously become 'science' just because you call it that. I think the word you were looking for is 'conjecture'.

And right there folks is what we are dealing with.

Which is more important - kids going to school or students going on the piss?

This is what so many do not get with talk of schools and 9 euro meals etc etc etc. Some things are deemed more important than others, that's why some activities have very strict rules while similar activities virtually none. We have judged some important enough to be allowed to continue with lower levels of restrictions . Its not about stopping every infection, its about stopping enough to keep things relatively under control

Sconsey wrote: »
    What about the people they interact with? are they all at zero risk too? These twats have clearly shown they don't care about the restrictions so why would they be distancing from people that are at risk. They want to have a bit of craic and balls to potential consequences. Bunch of twats.

Did you read what was posted? What about the people the school kids interact with. Are they all zero risk too?

It was simply pointing out yet another Covid hypocrisy that this will be a massive scandal yet teenagers two years younger than the people in the videos are made to gather in large groups on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Did you read what was posted? What about the people the school kids interact with. Are they all zero risk too?

It was simply pointing out yet another Covid hypocrisy that this will be a massive scandal yet teenagers two years younger than the people in the videos are made to gather in large groups on a daily basis

And I am pointing out that just because they are low risk does not mean it ends there, they are inclresing the risk of it spreading to others who may not be low risk. Not saying schools are much different, just saying them personally being low risk is not the end of the chain of infections, and it should not have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How would colleges not opening reduce house parties in the slightest ?

There's been house parties throughout when colleges were closed.

I'm surprised you can't see how students living by themselves having house parties compared to students living at home with their parents and not allowed to house parties wouldn't have any outcome on house parties.

I think you'd argue grass isn't green just for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yeah cos fighting a war against the Nazis is the same thing as fighting a Pandemic that has a 0.01% chance of killing them give me a break ffs :rolleyes: .

I mean the death rate in ww2 as a percentage for lots of countries was small too, but that's beside the point.

One generation in their youth were willing to pay a price for society. The current generation aren't willing to do that.

Pubs and restaurants will likely be shut down this week or next in Galway and Cork, and whilst they don't get all the blame(there's plenty of other selfish ****s in other age groups too) students will have to shoulder some of it for those scenes last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

ChikiChiki wrote: »

There is no way you know those figures for a fact. You’ve been told them, yes?

Let me ask; of those 56 positive results, how many were people coughing and spluttering, struggling to breathe? How many were actually false positives owing to the fallibility of the test unit themselves?How many were positive results owing to the test picking up on the so called virus debris from a Covid contraction the person had weeks ago, were asymptomatic at the time and were now only being tested because of known-contact tracing procedures?

I think that poster on page 1 with the twitter link sums it up; what is the difference between this student example and all the kids back in school. In classrooms, for that matter. It was an absolute target of government and NPHET to reopen schools. But this is different?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Blame the colleges. They take the money of thousands of kids, insist that they pay for their accommodation and then leave them without absolutely nothing to do.

Why open the colleges? Why make these kids pay their deposits? The colleges have brought them all down to Galway, left them with nothing to do at all and then get surprised when they have a few cans.

This is the most Irish comment ever. It's up to people themselves to practice personal responsibility. I'm sick of hearing the "it's someones elses fault" mantra.

Advertisement