Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowds gathering in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The only thing Im annoyed about is the lack of response from the Gardai.

All you hear from them is Lack of resources, lack of man-power and lack of powers.

So you're really telling me they dont have the power to disperse crowds during a pandemic? Pull the other one.

AGS don’t give a ****e- they know they can’t police or punish people having a good time standing on a bloody street.
    If they go in all heavy handed, beyond their brief (like the fanatic fringe are baying for) the outcome will be enormously negative and damaging to their reputation in the future.
    People such as yourself are going to have make your own choices from here on in- you can stay at home cowering away in fear “bring safe from C-19- which certainly no one is stopping you from doing. Or you can accept it’s part and parcel of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

the mollycoddling of young people nowadays knows no bounds. i mean what's wrong with calling out poor behaviour?? they shouldn't be having massive house parties in the middle of a pandemic. it's that simple. parents should step up. and media types should stop this "you're villifying them!" , "it's hit them the hardest!!" stuff. it's tough for everyone. it won't last forever. everyone needs to get on with it and do their bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,820 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think it's more to do with the singing, hugging, crying, shouting, fighting, kissing, high five'ng etc etc that the dreaded drink makes you do... rather than the actual gathering, which is still wrong in a Pandemic even if they kept their mouths shut!?

Yes exactly. People have been sitting in parks all through covid and have been going to pubs recently and these students could have done any of those and we wouldn't be having this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A lot of these darlings were too precious a few weeks ago to sit exams. They got a free pass and now are planning on infecting the rest of us.

Stay in and protect yourself then.

Or, realise that unless you're in the 5% of people actually at risk (in which case you should be limiting contacts anyway) you'll be fine.

Infections/cases != serious consequences or deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,539 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

froog wrote: »
    the mollycoddling of young people nowadays knows no bounds. i mean what's wrong with calling out poor behaviour?? they shouldn't be having massive house parties in the middle of a pandemic. it's that simple. parents should step up. and media types should stop this "you're villifying them!" , "it's hit them the hardest!!" stuff. it's tough for everyone. it won't last forever. everyone needs to get on with it and do their bit.

Christ the last thing that any parent wants to do nowadays is actually raise their child.

Thats someone elses job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

froog wrote: »

I'm all in favor of calling out stupidity, and this was stupidity, but the calls to set the army on them and kick them out of college for doing what 18 year olds do is ridiculous. If we did that to every 18 year old who acted the bollix I wouldn't have made it to 19.........neither, I suspect, would the majority of posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Liosaffinity

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Stay in and protect yourself then.

Or, realise that unless you're in the 5% of people actually at risk (in which case you should be limiting contacts anyway) you'll be fine.

Infections/cases != serious consequences or deaths.

Why should I have to adapt my life to live with covid if they dont? Restrictions for some but not for others. We'll all go back to normal, let it run through the community. There might be enough icu beds but if theres not, **** it its survival of the fittest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

The gathering of students didnt' really shock me because

1) The news has been telling us all that young people (with the very odd exception) are not an 'at risk' group. They're not stupid, it's what has been repeated throughout the media for nigh on 6 months
    2) Many of them do not live with elderly relatives
    3)It's freshers week in Galway...

and

4) They're young, really young. I'm working with Teens, mostly over 16 yrs and they have no spacial awareness. They keep forgetting to socially distance. And no, they don't think of the front line workers or the economy because most young people don't 'think'.

Young people need to socialize a lot.... I cannot imagine how I simply 'had' to go out every week for a big night out, every bloomin' week for about five years..... if not twice a week.... out out out!!! We'd no money mind...

As my father said of the church trying to ban dancing during lent in the 50's... 'Stopping young people from like dancing is like stopping the tide coming in... impossible'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Why should I have to adapt my life to live with covid if they dont? Restrictions for some but not for others. We'll all go back to normal, let it run through the community. There might be enough icu beds but if theres not, **** it its survival of the fittest.

Because those who are at greatest risk should take the largest steps to protect themselves - hence why we were advising the elderly and vulnerable to cocoon back in March/April. Similarly if you work with those people or have them in your family, you should bear that in mind and act accordingly.

However it's neither sustainable nor necessary to force restrictions on the overwhelming majority of the population to protect them from something they may not even realise they had. All that will do mid-long term is worsen the situation for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I find this pandemic interesting to see how it plays out in people's attitudes. Young people to me would have seemed previously to be very concerned about others, the future etc. A lot would be concerned regarding the homeless, mental health, the environment, housing affordability etc. A very outward looking view on the world.

Now we are seeing something different. A very hard-nosed, tough, inward looking attitude where individual's own life comes above all else, where we are told we just need to get on with things.

From Greta Thunbergs to Waren Buffets or Michael O'Learys in a short space of time.

I'm fairly certain that a lot of that concern was slacktivism. They didn't actually have to sacrifice anything, just hold the right opinions. Actually missing out and not seeing your friends as much is actually hard. And I sympathise, but we're all doing it. I haven't seen some of my friends since before the lockdown.

And it's not all students acting like this, but the ones that are are contributing to increased spread, resulting in increased load on the health service, lockdowns and restrictions, with a knock on effect on businesses and jobs. It's pretty damn selfish that people think house parties are more important than protecting people's lives and livelihoods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that a lot of that concern was slacktivism. They didn't actually have to sacrifice anything, just hold the right opinions. Actually missing out and not seeing your friends as much is actually hard. And I sympathise, but we're all doing it. I haven't seen some of my friends since before the lockdown.

And it's not all students acting like this, but the ones that are are contributing to increased spread, resulting in increased load on the health service, lockdowns and restrictions, with a knock on effect on businesses and jobs. It's pretty damn selfish that people think house parties are more important than protecting people's lives and livelihoods.
    Bit the nail on the head there. Happy to take part in the school strike for Climate Change, but unwilling to give up the ski holiday.

The caring generation? Yeah, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

3xh wrote: »
    Hyperbole, much?

If it was the local Lions Club of grannies out playing dominos with no masks on, fair enough.

But they’re students, after starting college and not in the at-risk group basically living in the same house/block. Outside too.

At this stage of the show, you either follow all things NPHET/RTÉ or you can decipher for yourself what’s worth tut tutting at and what isn’t.

You can be sure there’s vested interest people taking to twitter et al now calling for all sorts against those students.

I am sure those that work with them, teach them, provide them services, healthcare etc will also be as delighted for them as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

A large group gathered to drink because they have nothing else to do and broke no laws in doing so. What’s the issue? Are we to sit in our houses and do damn all until a vaccine is found?

I know a girl, she’s mad into posting on Reddit about coronavirus and how terrible it is and how we should all be staying indoors and wearing masks and all the rest. But she’s out nearly every weekend at a party or inviting the rest of us over to hers. The perpetually outraged online are sometimes very different people in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A large group gathered to drink because they have nothing else to do and broke no laws in doing so. What’s the issue? Are we to sit in our houses and do damn all until a vaccine is found?

I know a girl, she’s mad into posting on Reddit about coronavirus and how terrible it is and how we should all be staying indoors and wearing masks and all the rest. But she’s out nearly every weekend at a party or inviting the rest of us over to hers. The perpetually outraged online are sometimes very different people in real life.

Which is exactly why the numbers are rising .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Good point..

This thread could be renamed to "Crowds gathering in....Ireland"

It's happening everywhere, so unless people want marshall law imposed on the under 25's then stop complaining and stay away from crowds in public and when you see them online... Young people are being hit hard by this, they're losing jobs, education is suffering and future hopes of getting a job well paying enough to buy a place of their own to live and start a family is slipping further away the longer these Lockdowns are maintained...

recovery rates for Covid in the U.S are 99.997% for young people so cut the Karen overreaction and get on with looking after yourself physically and mentally..

Actually they do want Martial law imposed in Galway:
    He said he cannot comprehend these actions and agreed with suggestions by Senator Ollie Crowe that the army should be deployed to assist gardaí in the city.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/senator-calls-for-army-to-take-to-streets-as-videos-show-hundreds-of-students-flouting-public-health-guidelines-in-galway-39572290.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Liosaffinity

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Good point..

This thread could be renamed to "Crowds gathering in....Ireland"

It's happening everywhere, so unless people want marshall law imposed on the under 25's then stop complaining and stay away from crowds in public and when you see them online... Young people are being hit hard by this, they're losing jobs, education is suffering and future hopes of getting a job well paying enough to buy a place of their own to live and start a family is slipping further away the longer these Lockdowns are maintained...

recovery rates for Covid in the U.S are 99.997% for young people so cut the Karen overreaction and get on with looking after yourself physically and mentally..

People of all ages are losing jobs and older people are more likely already have mortgages and children to feed, already having been through the crash.

What has been so hard on the young ones who didnt even have to sit a leaving cert and are having the time of thier lives at spanish arch having spent the summer at mammys house? A few weeks ago they were probably frothing at the mouth about the golf event.

Did you hear the radio interview on rte on monday. The 2 girls from kerry who had moved to galway for university, and where partying in packed pubs since the previous wednesday? They didnt seem too concerned.

I dont think we have to lock everyone down, but a bit of cop on goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah we've been on lockdown long enough so if they are still afraid of the virus then they should continue to live in a self imposed lockdown and let the rest us get on with our lives and not continue to live in fear of the virus.

Well all that means is that a vigilante group might be formed armed with baseball bats or hurls and you will be bludgeoned back to your house or flat to save the Gardai the hassle.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Tenzor07 wrote: »

It’s kind of refreshing to see this actually. If there is one thing thats been consistent from the moment I set foot in Galway for freshers week in the mid nineties, it’s local officials complaining about the behaviour of students. Very “old normal”

People of all ages are losing jobs and older people are more likely already have mortgages and children to feed, already having been through the crash.
    What has been so hard on the young ones who didnt even have to sit a leaving cert and are having the time of thier lives at spanish arch having spent the summer at mammys house? A few weeks ago they were probably frothing at the mouth about the golf event.
    Did you hear the radio interview on rte on monday. The 2 girls from kerry who had moved to galway for university, and where partying in packed pubs since the previous wednesday? They didnt seem too concerned.
    I dont think we have to lock everyone down, but a bit of cop on goes a long way.

I suppose if all the mass coverage of young people gathering in groups with booze bought at off-licences kept people's minds off unimportant things like mortgage lenders are no longer required to provide payment breaks to people financially impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic, the pandemic payment rates dropping away by €50 a time, the flattening of a 1916 leaders historically protected home, and what former minister and Fine Gael Senator Michael D’Arcy has been up to these past few days then it's grand....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Well all that means is that a vigilante group might be formed armed with baseball bats or hurls and you will be bludgeoned back to your house or flat to save the Gardai the hassle.

Good one, will they be socially distancing in the back of the white van?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

There are no stats on the longer term effects because it hasn't been around that long and any stats that are presented as showing the long term effects can't possibly be true because enough time hasn't passed to measure the long term effects of it..

This is patently untrue. You must just be wilfully ignoring it.

You are correct that Covid-19 has only been around for a short time. However
    - other Coronaviruses have been around much longer eg SARS and MERS. There is plenty of evidence from those viruses of long term effects.
    - it depends on your definition of long term. There are sufficient numbers of cases in Ireland and around the world to know that the effects of the disease are longer and more serious than the current flu. ie long term effects. Effects that can keep you out of work for 6 months, unable to climb the stairs without being short of breath, diabetes and long term anticoagulant issues.
    - Whatever about your lack of a granny - other people have grannies. And grannies are people too. The viruses doesn’t travel along familial lines. You can pass it to anyone.

If you’re gonna not bother to adhere to the recommended rules, then don’t. But don’t pretend that you’re making some sort of evidence based decision to do so.

Covid19 wrote: »
    I was shocked to see, first hand, the total lack of responsibility shown by the students on the opening night.
    What will it take to get younger folk to view the current crisis more seriously?
    Will loved ones or relatives need to die before they cop on?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EddieHoareFG/status/1310697801211351040

Even deaths won't make selfish idiots like these cop on.

If someone dies they'll just say "oh, they must have had underlying conditions / they were old / they would have died soon anyway."

The Gardai should be there, breaking it up. No excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Just seen the report on rte news about the gathering, the first interview by that fella....."is it any wonder they're gone cracked" was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Bit the nail on the head there. Happy to take part in the school strike for Climate Change, but unwilling to give up the ski holiday.

The caring generation? Yeah, sure.

Yes I do sometimes wonder how many of the younger generation taking part in house parties etc were also marching for climate change or will be joining college societies aimed at improving the world in this way and the other.
    Meanwhile they refuse to sacrifice their partying to save lives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Yes I do sometimes wonder how many of the younger generation taking part in house parties etc were also marching for climate change or will be joining college societies aimed at improving the world in this way and the other.

I suppose you would have went to school while all your mates went protesting for the day? And students join societies for the most part for the social aspect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The students getting awful grief but not a thing said about towns and villages packed at the weekend, with parishs celebrating winning GAA championships.

I know as I live close to one and fair play them. The major party's have ended but the pub seems lively driving past still

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think that should be Martial .

No, they want Covid Marshals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

It's a harsh generalisation to say this but with the younger generation, it's my opinion that a lot of them simply won't have any limits on their personal freedoms.

They've done things like vote for same sex marriage and repel abortion. These are limitations on personal freedom. When it comes to observing covid-19 guidelines, they won't. They see covid-19 as something that won't kill them. It's an old person's problem. They are young, why should they suffer?

They don't see it as an national effort.

Advertisement