Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowds gathering in Galway

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Governments fault for wanting the colleges open but the colleges themselves don't want to open. We've students with probably 2 hour of classes a week in college and the rest of the week free. Can't blame them for filling their time like this. If the government just said that colleges can't open then that would reduce house parties considerably
    Some students might have two hours a week and these are most probably studying courses such as business or arts. These lend themselves to on-line lectures. However, what about students who are studying in the areas of engineering and science? These students which require substantial amount of face-to-face time in practicals, workshops and labs. Should their studies come to an end until and if a vaccine is found and made available to all? Colleges must remain open for these students.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Some students might have two hours a week and these are most probably studying courses such as business or arts. These lend themselves to on-line lectures. However, what about students who are studying in the areas of engineering and science? These students which require substantial amount of face-to-face time in practicals, workshops and labs. Should their studies come to an end until and if a vaccine is found and made available to all? Colleges must remain open for these students.

I studied a scientific discipline and I don’t know how online teaching would have fared. We had at least one or two practical labs per day right through to 4th year, pretty much a 9-5 schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

road_high wrote: »
    I studied a scientific discipline and I don’t know how online teaching would have fared. We had at least one or two practical labs per day right through to 4th year, pretty much a 9-5 schedule
    Studying engineering and science can be heavy going and students need to have hands-on practicals, labs and workshops to support their more theoretical subjects. Also, the IOT's, in particular, are concerned about student retention rates. Having students studying on-line only would, i believe, lead to a greater number of students dropping out of college. The highest drop-out rate in any college are first year students. Colleges must remain open while operating a blend of on-line and face-to-face learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Covid19 wrote: »
    True. That occurred in Elphin. Near where I live. One pub owner infected 56 people in a 40 minute period, while knowing he had tested positive. Yet we still see people scoffing at the veracity of the virus.

None of that is true.

Yer man was awaiting test results and didn't self isolate. Tested the Friday worked that Saturday night at the party and got the result on Sunday. Some other infections have come about as a result but definitely not 56 in 40 minutes that's a ludicrous statement.

He was an idiot but still not as bad as you're making out.

I'm near certain the one person to 56 cases is linked to one of the outbreaks in Donegal. Involving a domino effect of linked social gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I suppose you would have went to school while all your mates went protesting for the day? And students join societies for the most part for the social aspect.

"Protesting."
    It was a fücking lark that's all it was, and quickly forgotten too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,251 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement