Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Cycling Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I watch them less and less now days due to the repetitive nature of their content, the regular presence of
    Manon Lloyd doesn't help either. She seems like a lovely girl, but she's a terrible presenter, with very poor delivery. Connor was very bad at first too, but he's improved greatly. Manon doesn't seem to be improving at all though.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Like other posters, I preferred it when it was Dan, Matt & Simon. I still watch some of the new content occasionally, mostly Conor Dunne's videos.

I just googled Simon Richardson there now and he won the Ras in 2009. I didn't know that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭redlead

Like other posters, I preferred it when it was Dan, Matt & Simon. I still watch some of the new content occasionally, mostly Conor Dunne's videos.

I just googled Simon Richardson there now and he won the Ras in 2009. I didn't know that

Did you watch the introducing the presenters video for James/Hank? The actual house he grew up in is the Downton Abbey House. I think all the presenters are likeable to be fair to them. There is one for Simon too which is pretty interesting. I think he lost the yellow Jersey on the second last day of the Ras the year before he won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

In his 'Meet the Presenters' vid he said winning the "Rass" was the highlight of his career and mentioned it was the only time he experienced what it's like to have a full team working on his behalf.

I watch it and enjoy it. But then, I like to dream that one day I will be able to do a sportive around a the mountains of Qatar with Jenson Button like Ollie did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I used to watch each video as they came out and found it a good balance of informative and fun. Now though it's all about that presenter Ollie, by God he is annoying after a while. As soon as I see him or the girl presenting I just switch off. It's really gone downhill, the old tech guy was great. This thread has reminded me to unsubscribe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

redlead wrote: »
    Did you watch the introducing the presenters video for James/Hank? The actual house he grew up in is the Downton Abbey House.
    a bit before that, it was the house from poldark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

To be honest I didn't really check the dates of the videos, and hadn't realised how old some of them were. Like most replies on here I found them interesting but repetitive. Having been away from the sport I'm amazed at how much as changed......
    Gravel Bikes !!! I'm afraid I just don't get them, sounds like 'corporate speak' for getting more sales...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

swarlb wrote: »
    To be honest I didn't really check the dates of the videos, and hadn't realised how old some of them were. Like most replies on here I found them interesting but repetitive. Having been away from the sport I'm amazed at how much as changed......
    Gravel Bikes !!! I'm afraid I just don't get them, sounds like 'corporate speak' for getting more sales...

To be honest, the last couple of posts I've read of yours seem to be mostly concerned with telling us all how you "don't get the new fangled stuff"

In the above post you "don't get" gravel bikes. What is it you don't get? The concept of not cycling on roads? Or is it the "I was doing gravel cycling when it was just dirt rides on 19mm tyres" sentiment I've seen on various forums? I doubt that it's the hipster gravel element, as that seems to be mostly American, and hasn't really taken off here that I've seen

I understand that many in the industry or involved in the sport see gravel bikes as a further bifurcation of an already overly divided market, and there's definitely a heavy dose of marketing gone into the "gravel scene", but that's to be expected from any private company looking to make a profit. The initial impetus behind gravel riding, however, seems to have been a conscious move away from the more traditional aspects of sport cycling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

GCN did a faintly provocative video where they argued that the rise in popularity of gravel bikes is due to mountain bikes becoming too capable. if you want to cycle through your local woods, a modern MTB is a bit much, but you won't want to do it on slick 25 or 28mm tyres either. so a gravel bike is now the happy medium - more akin to how mountain bikes were in the 90s.

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    To be honest, the last couple of posts I've read of yours seem to be mostly concerned with telling us all how you "don't get the new fangled stuff"

In the above post you "don't get" gravel bikes. What is it you don't get? The concept of not cycling on roads? Or is it the "I was doing gravel cycling when it was just dirt rides on 19mm tyres" sentiment I've seen on various forums? I doubt that it's the hipster gravel element, as that seems to be mostly American, and hasn't really taken off here that I've seen

I understand that many in the industry or involved in the sport see gravel bikes as a further bifurcation of an already overly divided market, and there's definitely a heavy dose of marketing gone into the "gravel scene", but that's to be expected from any private company looking to make a profit. The initial impetus behind gravel riding, however, seems to have been a conscious move away from the more traditional aspects of sport cycling.

What I 'don't get' is the need to label everything. I apologise for not coming from an era where tubulars were wider than 19mm (apart from cyclocross, which were).
    There was one GCN clip, where (I think it was Ollie) took a spin on a 'steel bicycle with downtube gearlevers, and toeclips'. He confessed that he'd never ridden one before, and expressed concern that he'd be able to ride the thing at all. In the end, he seemed happy enough, having discovered that all it was, after all, just a bicycle... albeit a different one to the one he was used to'
    It's nothing to do with not being used to 'new fangled stuff', more the need for the bicycle industry to change in order to sell more 'stuff'.
    There is very little 'new' in cycling, just 'change'. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in ten years time someone rediscovers rim brakes, or indeed skinny tyres.
    If you'd prefer me not to post on here, just because I 'don't get' modern cycling, then that's not a problem.
    I thought cycling was inclusive, not exclusive.... maybe I was wrong.

What I 'don't get' is the need to label everything. I apologise for not coming from an era where tubulars were wider than 19mm (apart from cyclocross, which were).
    There was one GCN clip, where (I think it was Ollie) took a spin on a 'steel bicycle with downtube gearlevers, and toeclips'. He confessed that he'd never ridden one before, and expressed concern that he'd be able to ride the thing at all. In the end, he seemed happy enough, having discovered that all it was, after all, just a bicycle... albeit a different one to the one he was used to'
    It's nothing to do with not being used to 'new fangled stuff', more the need for the bicycle industry to change in order to sell more 'stuff'.
    There is very little 'new' in cycling, just 'change'. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in ten years time someone rediscovers rim brakes, or indeed skinny tyres.
    If you'd prefer me not to post on here, just because I 'don't get' modern cycling, then that's not a problem.
    I thought cycling was inclusive, not exclusive.... maybe I was wrong.

I think that cycling should be absolutely inclusive. To the point where all and any type of cycling is acceptable to everyone. That's why I happily proclaim that I don't shave my legs, haven't joined a cycling club, and I've never stopped while out for a spin at the weekend for coffee.

I don't know an awful lot about bike eras, as I only started cycling regularly (not for commuting) about 2 years ago. At 40 years old, though, I realise that there's always change

I'm not looking for an apology, just curious about the "back in my day" elements of your posts. When you unlock your car with the central locking button on your keys, do you look at it and marvel that back in the day you had to put the key in the door?

When you're shopping and it's time to pay, do you "not get" the card tapping capabilities, on the basis that you used to use cash?

Everything in every aspect of life moves on. You could absolutely cycle through the woods on a road bike with 19mm tubulars, but it's more comfortable on a gravel bike with wider tyres, and perhaps a tubeless setup.

As regards you posting here, it's a public discussion site, and I figure anyone who puts up an opinion does so with the understanding that it is open to being challenged or questioned by anyone who cares to.

That's not to suggest you shouldn't post here at all. In fact, the very opposite. If we all didn't post with our varied ideas, opinions and life skills, it would be a rather dull place. I mean, it's not like my wife is going to talk to me about bikes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Why would someone as young as Ollie have ridden with down tube shifters? Probably as alien to him as Gravel bikes are to you...

it's simple, gravel bikes are basically CX bikes with more relaxed geometry.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Why would someone as young as Ollie have ridden with down tube shifters? Probably as alien to him as Gravel bikes are to you...

What was 'alien' was the fact that he actually said.... 'I wonder will I be able to ride this'....
    I realise he said it for the humour aspect, but still....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

What was 'alien' was the fact that he actually said.... 'I wonder will I be able to ride this'....
    I realise he said it for the humour aspect, but still....

They totally ham it up in those videos, I've seen a few on GCN that are the same. Matt Stephens struggling up a little hill on Stephen Roche's Battaglin...pure ham.

:D:D:D

I'd forgotten about those ads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

I like GCN. Some presenters are a bit average and churn out fillers, but overall I think they have a lot of good content. Si Richardson usually does quality videos. Emma Pooley was amazing, shame she left after a short stint. The US guy has his heart in it too. New kids, well they might get better over time. Conor of course is a breath of fresh air and good to see Ireland represented. Overall I believe they provide amazing content, for free. I have nothing but thanks to that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

And GTN too, struggling with viewership I think but they are alright themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Conor Dunne’s appreciation of his own county is mesmerising to me considering I live in a better neighbouring county. I can’t help but feel he is misleading what I would guess is a mainly British audience. At the same time I don’t really care. Rant over.. His content is fantastic. Especially how naive he was taking on the 555

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

bingobars wrote: »
    Conor Dunne’s appreciation of his own county is mesmerising to me considering I live in a better neighbouring county. I can’t help but feel he is misleading what I would guess is a mainly British audience.

Sorry - you'll have to explain this - are you referring to Conor's love of Waterford?

And what county are you in?

I'm confused about bingobars post myself. Are you saying that he's pretending to like Waterford? Or he's pretending that Waterford is nice to fool English people? Or are you just surprised that he likes Waterford?

Any chance you're from Cork?

tbf, waterford is clearly the best county of (waterford+any county which borders it)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

I don’t want to derail the thread but yeah Waterford isn’t all that on a bike IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭redlead

bingobars wrote: »
    I don’t want to derail the thread but yeah Waterford isn’t all that on a bike IMO

The copper Coast is an amazing cycle. I've done it many times and it never gets old. The scenery is beautiful the whole route and its full of testing little ramps. The loop he did along the copper Coast and up Mahon Falls is a great cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

redlead wrote: »
    The copper Coast is an amazing cycle. I've done it many times and it never gets old. The scenery is beautiful the whole route and its full of testing little ramps. The loop he did along the copper Coast and up Mahon Falls is a great cycle.

I'm from Tipp and I think Waterford is one of the best counties for cycling!

As above Copper Coast, Mahon Falls. Then the Comeraghs and by far the best greenway in Ireland in Waterford as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Its funny I hated that Waterford video, he was so over the top about how beautiful it was throughout

cletus wrote: »
    I think that cycling should be absolutely inclusive. To the point where all and any type of cycling is acceptable to everyone. That's why I happily proclaim that I don't shave my legs, haven't joined a cycling club, and I've never stopped while out for a spin at the weekend for coffee.

I don't know an awful lot about bike eras, as I only started cycling regularly (not for commuting) about 2 years ago. At 40 years old, though, I realise that there's always change

I'm not looking for an apology, just curious about the "back in my day" elements of your posts. When you unlock your car with the central locking button on your keys, do you look at it and marvel that back in the day you had to put the key in the door?

When you're shopping and it's time to pay, do you "not get" the card tapping capabilities, on the basis that you used to use cash?

Everything in every aspect of life moves on. You could absolutely cycle through the woods on a road bike with 19mm tubulars, but it's more comfortable on a gravel bike with wider tyres, and perhaps a tubeless setup.

As regards you posting here, it's a public discussion site, and I figure anyone who puts up an opinion does so with the understanding that it is open to being challenged or questioned by anyone who cares to.

That's not to suggest you shouldn't post here at all. In fact, the very opposite. If we all didn't post with our varied ideas, opinions and life skills, it would be a rather dull place. I mean, it's not like my wife is going to talk to me about bikes :D

OK, I'll give you a bit of insight... the last time I rode my bike (or any bike for that matter) was sometime in early 90's, the last time I raced it was in the late 80's.
    As with many people during these Covid times, and during the initial lockdown, I dusted one of them off, pumped up the tyres, oiled the chain and went for a spin. On the road near my house (I live in the country) I spotted another cyclist, and we stopped, at a distance to have a natter. He had a (to me, modern looking bike), carbon frame, minimal flat spoke wheels, deep flanged rims, and the most striking bit to me, a huge looking tooted set of rear sprockets. We spoke about mostly the differences between the bikes, the more we looked, the more we saw. he had fatter tyres, mine were thinner, he had a small inner chainring, mine was larger, he had a greater spread of gears, 11 rear sprockets, mine was a 12/18, with a 53/42 up front, and I was thinking to myself that my 'mountain' set up of 13/21 would be totally over geared by todays standards.
    So, when I got home I googled a few things to see how things have changed, and among other things discovered GCN, hence my original post.
    And no, I don't marvel at using a central locking button to open the doors on my car, I actually marvel at the cleverness of Peugeot to leave the facility in being able to insert the key in the door to open the damn thing.
    As much as I can I use cash... amazingly enough so do lots of other people, including my bank, who have yet to refuse my deposits.
    And no, I don't 'get' gravel bikes.... and probably never will.

I attach a photo of my car key.... for your perusal.

• Advertisement

OK, I'll give you a bit of insight... the last time I rode my bike (or any bike for that matter) was sometime in early 90's, the last time I raced it was in the late 80's.
    As with many people during these Covid times, and during the initial lockdown, I dusted one of them off, pumped up the tyres, oiled the chain and went for a spin. On the road near my house (I live in the country) I spotted another cyclist, and we stopped, at a distance to have a natter. He had a (to me, modern looking bike), carbon frame, minimal flat spoke wheels, deep flanged rims, and the most striking bit to me, a huge looking tooted set of rear sprockets. We spoke about mostly the differences between the bikes, the more we looked, the more we saw. he had fatter tyres, mine were thinner, he had a small inner chainring, mine was larger, he had a greater spread of gears, 11 rear sprockets, mine was a 12/18, with a 53/42 up front, and I was thinking to myself that my 'mountain' set up of 13/21 would be totally over geared by todays standards.
    So, when I got home I googled a few things to see how things have changed, and among other things discovered GCN, hence my original post.
    And no, I don't marvel at using a central locking button to open the doors on my car, I actually marvel at the cleverness of Peugeot to leave the facility in being able to insert the key in the door to open the damn thing.
    As much as I can I use cash... amazingly enough so do lots of other people, including my bank, who have yet to refuse my deposits.
    And no, I don't 'get' gravel bikes.... and probably never will.

I attach a photo of my car key.... for your perusal.

You forgot indexing gears!!!! What a pain in the hoop that is these days.

For me Park Tools is my favorite youtube channel. I know they are trying to sell me stuff but doesn't feel like it vs the amount of good information I get from Calvin.

Advertisement