Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home business insurance- crafts

Options
  • 29-09-2020 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I was renewing home insurance today and they asked if we conduct any business from home, I mentioned since lockdown my partner has been making fairy houses she sells in the local craft shop.

They said this would invalidate our cover so I said she would just stick to it as a hobby (she only made around €20 from selling them so no big deal). I would have thought something like this wouldn’t matter, I mean if I make cakes for the school fair will that invalidate my home insurance?

Just wondering does anyone know any company that would cover this kind of craft business if she wanted to continue, I’d be happy to pay like €50 as an add on as she enjoys it and it’s a good confidence booster.

Thanks Guys
    Tagged:

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would ring up and talk to them again, as this doesn't sound right to me. Maybe you just got the wrong person on the phone? There are hobbyists all over the place who make items at home and sell them for a few quid.

I could understand if she was running a full manufacturing facility in your living room, but this seems a bit nuts IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Making cakes for the school fair as a one off or couple of times a year won't invalidate your insurance but making a couple of cakes a week and selling them would require your home insurer to be advised, they may or may not cover it or charge extra.

There is craft insurance to be got, I have some but it's 170 a year I think, try Pike Insurance Brokers, Dublin, they cover lots of things like this.

Having said that I can't see why that sort of business would cause any increase in policy as there are no people calling to house I presume and I presume you have not any separate facility other than the rooms you use for normal household things. A seperate garage for example kitted out for the business would be a different story.

As for craft insurance that has an element of public liability, I suppose in case someone injures themselves on a piece of her art! Compo society and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 standtwo

phormium wrote: »
    Making cakes for the school fair as a one off or couple of times a year won't invalidate your insurance but making a couple of cakes a week and selling them would require your home insurer to be advised, they may or may not cover it or charge extra.

There is craft insurance to be got, I have some but it's 170 a year I think, try Pike Insurance Brokers, Dublin, they cover lots of things like this.

Having said that I can't see why that sort of business would cause any increase in policy as there are no people calling to house I presume and I presume you have not any separate facility other than the rooms you use for normal household things. A seperate garage for example kitted out for the business would be a different story.

As for craft insurance that has an element of public liability, I suppose in case someone injures themselves on a piece of her art! Compo society and all that!

Thanks everyone it does seem a bit mad especially as it’s paper mache hardly a fire risk 😂. I’ll ask again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wondering how many market traders know this? We paid trading insurance for that but the making at home?

An how many hand knitters?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wondering how many market traders know this? We paid trading insurance for that but the making at home?

An how many hand knitters?

Yeah seems a bit mad I tried them again but there not budging so I’ll contact a broker.

• Advertisement

Just a though but we have a busy Arts and Crafts forum on boards and many there sell their work from home?

Maybe ask there?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just a though but we have a busy Arts and Crafts forum on boards and many there sell their work from home?

Maybe ask there?

Thanks Grace,

I called a broker and they checked with the insurer and said it’s grand as we don’t have people calling to the house, keep large sums of cash (I wish) or you any kind of heavy equipment (I wish I could post a picture of what she makes to show how crazy that sounds).

I’m putting this down to poor Customer Service training “if in doubt say no”

standtwo wrote: »
    Thanks Grace,

I called a broker and they checked with the insurer and said it’s grand as we don’t have people calling to the house, keep large sums of cash (I wish) or you any kind of heavy equipment (I wish I could post a picture of what she makes to show how crazy that sounds).

I’m putting this down to poor Customer Service training “if in doubt say no”

lol... But I mean think of how easily eg I could seriously injure myself by accidental impaling on a knitting needle!

Advertisement