Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank planting

Options
  • 29-09-2020 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭

What have people done around their septic tanks? Ours is about 3m from the boundary wall, about half way down the garden.

If I was to plant a mixed hedge between the wall and tank, would that be too close to the tank?

Also, would planting a corkscrew Hazel planted about 3 or 4m up from the tank be too close?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I wouldn't have too much issue planting right beside a septic tank, nothing too tall but I'd be happy with most shrubs and perennials. I'd always keep the usual suspects that are know for invading drains well away.

Where I wouldn't plant is anywhere near (keep say 5 m for shrubs and 10 meters for trees - my figures) is the percolation area. That is because the pipe work in the percolation area is open to the soil to allow the liquid from the septic tank out and this is great for invading roots to get in.

Some good info here and from personal experience I'd add Magnolias, Metasequoia and Taxodium to the list of shrubs/trees to keep away from any drains.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Thank you for your reply!

What you have said and your link has reassured me regarding the hedge. We haven't finalised what will go into it yet, although Holly is on the list, so I'll keep that in mind for the area closest to the tank.

The corkscrew Hazel though I'm still not sure about. It will be about 3 or 4m up from the tank and the tank is another ~1m or so before the percolation area. I'll have to look into it a bit more, maybe see if I can move it further up from the tank. Id love to make it work, it would be at the 'back' of the kids play area and I think it would be a nice full stop between garden areas. We'll see though!

scarepanda wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply!

What you have said and your link has reassured me regarding the hedge. We haven't finalised what will go into it yet, although Holly is on the list, so I'll keep that in mind for the area closest to the tank.

The corkscrew Hazel though I'm still not sure about. It will be about 3 or 4m up from the tank and the tank is another ~1m or so before the percolation area. I'll have to look into it a bit more, maybe see if I can move it further up from the tank. Id love to make it work, it would be at the 'back' of the kids play area and I think it would be a nice full stop between garden areas. We'll see though!

I think Hazel should be OK. My experience is that it has a shallow spreading root system.

Thinks this proves it https://academic.oup.com/jof/article-abstract/26/8/1046/4753535?redirectedFrom=PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

Remember that you may need access for a tractor and tanker for pumping it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

blackbox wrote: »
    Remember that you may need access for a tractor and tanker for pumping it out.

Ya that would all be fine, they would have a clear run to the tank. The tractor would be coming at the tank from the other side. The tree would be 'above' the tank and the hedge the far side of where the tractor would be.

• Advertisement

scarepanda wrote: »
    Ya that would all be fine, they would have a clear run to the tank. The tractor would be coming at the tank from the other side. The tree would be 'above' the tank and the hedge the far side of where the tractor would be.

Don't worry about it a genuine contractor will have enough suction pipes to gain access to some really awkward location.

Advertisement