Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locks and keys for interior doors

Options
  • 30-09-2020 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct section of Home and Garden for this.

Do the locks for interior doors (Basta, Yale, etc.) have unique keys or can pretty much any Basta, Yale, etc indoor key open them?

If so can anyone suggest a lock that would have a unique key?

Or is there such a thing as a lock that would respond to a fob where the that lock is second lock without needing to change the first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Okay so as I thought yes if someone has been hoarding keys for years then chances are they have a key that will open any of those standard interior mortice locks.

So I’m looking for suggestions for a lock that would fit in the slot to replace a Union mortice lock but that would have a unique key.

Or suggestions for second but discreet lock with a unique key.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Afaik the Yale and Basta domestic range are basically a set of approx 20 keys from each manufacturer that are on the market so they are not exactly high security by any means.

You would be best off contacting a local locksmith and they could advise you, I know for example that Chubb have a range of mortice locks and it would all depend on your budget as to what way you go.

kub wrote: »
    Afaik the Yale and Basta domestic range are basically a set of approx 20 keys from each manufacturer that are on the market so they are not exactly high security by any means.

You would be best off contacting a local locksmith and they could advise you, I know for example that Chubb have a range of mortice locks and it would all depend on your budget as to what way you go.

Thank you.

I didn’t consider a locksmith as I thought the whole thing so unusual that the only possible solution would be online.

Do you think a locksmith would have have secure mortice locks in stock or are you thinking h they might customise one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Thank you.

I didn’t consider a locksmith as I thought the whole thing so unusual that the only possible solution would be online.

Do you think a locksmith would have have secure mortice locks in stock or are you thinking h they might customise one?

I would.imagine they would have something in stock, however the lock might be a different size than the one you need replaced.
    If you are handy with wood work happy days, if not then get the lock Smith to swap it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bring the old lock with you to a hardware store or locksmith shop. They will probably have a 3-lever or 5-lever lock of the same dimensions in stock.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would.imagine they would have something in stock, however the lock might be a different size than the one you need replaced.
    If you are handy with wood work happy days, if not then get the lock Smith to swap it out.

Is there a 5-lever BS3621 lock to fit the door and handle you have?

Something like this?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/smith-locke-satin-stainless-steel-bs-5-lever-mortice-sashlock-78mm-case-57mm-backset/2992g#product_additional_details_container

It sounds like a Bs3621 lock is the sort of thing you are after. It will have some minimum number of key patterns in manufacture and there are some anti-pick features. (Will take a half-decent locksmith 5 to 10 minutes to pick it.)

Getting advice and a lock from a locksmith’s store is a good idea.

I can do some things and have no problem getting a man in when I don’t know how :)

Esel wrote: »
    Bring the old lock with you to a hardware store or locksmith shop. They will probably have a 3-lever or 5-lever lock of the same dimensions in stock.

Thank you.

Is there a 5-lever BS3621 lock to fit the door and handle you have?

Something like this?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/smith-locke-satin-stainless-steel-bs-5-lever-mortice-sashlock-78mm-case-57mm-backset/2992g#product_additional_details_container

It sounds like a Bs3621 lock is the sort of thing you are after. It will have some minimum number of key patterns in manufacture and there are some anti-pick features. (Will take a half-decent locksmith 5 to 10 minutes to pick it.)

Getting advice and a lock from a locksmith’s store is a good idea.

Thank you.

I actually scrolled passed those locks on screw fix yesterday thinking they were ordinary mortice locks.

Thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement