Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelled Sky -Looking for free TV installer

• 30-09-2020 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All

I have cancelled sky and looking to get somebody to install a replacement system that will show all irish and free UK channels.

I can't do it myself so I am looking for somebody to do it. I have sky+ installed so I still have a dish if that helps.

(If posting in public is against the rules of boards.ie , please DM me if you have got it done recently and are happy with new setup)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

I went with Radek from MyTV.ie ( https://mytv.ie/bill-free-tv/combo_box/ ).

He switched out the LNB on the dish, installed an aerial and the combo box.

Set up is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

ygaurav wrote: »
    Hi All

I have cancelled sky and looking to get somebody to install a replacement system that will show all irish and free UK channels.

I can't do it myself so I am looking for somebody to do it. I have sky+ installed so I still have a dish if that helps.

(If posting in public is against the rules of boards.ie , please DM me if you have got it done recently and are happy with new setup)

thanks

You are really going to need to say where you live, a Cork based installer isn't going to be interested in a job in Donegal. Realistically you won't get anyone to travel much more than an hour from their base, the job wouldn't be worth the time or expense.

If you have sky+ <NOT Sky Q> then the dish+LNB+cabling is already suitable to use any satellite box with, it is just a matter of plugging it in. The Sky+ remains useable for watching but not recording most of the free channels after your subscription has expired.

For Irish tv you will need an aerial, you may be close enough to a transmitter to get away with a cheap indoor aerial, or you may need an outdoor fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

Hi All

thanks

If you have Sky+ rather than Sky q your existing dish and lnb should be fine for UK FTA channels,. If you have a Sky+ rather than a Sky HD box, unplug the box, remove your sky card and plug in the box again, you should now have UK channels from 101. Depending on the age of your TV it may have a Saorview tuner and just require an aerial, an outdoor aerial is recommended but you may get away with an indoor aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ygaurav

Of-course. I am based in south side of Dublin.
    Vic_08 wrote: »
    You are really going to need to say where you live, a Cork based installer isn't going to be interested in a job in Donegal. Realistically you won't get anyone to travel much more than an hour from their base, the job wouldn't be worth the time or expense.

If you have sky+ <NOT Sky Q> then the dish+LNB+cabling is already suitable to use any satellite box with, it is just a matter of plugging it in. The Sky+ remains useable for watching but not recording most of the free channels after your subscription has expired.

For Irish tv you will need an aerial, you may be close enough to a transmitter to get away with a cheap indoor aerial, or you may need an outdoor fitted.

Thank you. I will do that so that we will get FTA channels from UK. I have a Samsung TV around 2 years old. The model number is ue55mu8000.

Thanks for all the advice. this is wonderful.
    decor58 wrote: »
    If you have Sky+ rather than Sky q your existing dish and lnb should be fine for UK FTA channels,. If you have a Sky+ rather than a Sky HD box, unplug the box, remove your sky card and plug in the box again, you should now have UK channels from 101. Depending on the age of your TV it may have a Saorview tuner and just require an aerial, an outdoor aerial is recommended but you may get away with an indoor aerial.

• Advertisement

Ideally I would like a single box solution which can

a) where I can connect cable coming from sky and antenna
    b) have a possibilty to record as well.

thanks

Thank you. I will do that so that we will get FTA channels from UK. I have a Samsung TV around 2 years old. The model number is ue55mu8000.

Thanks for all the advice. this is wonderful.

Checking the spec on that tv, it should have a satellite tuner built in, so you should not need an external box. Check if it has a satellite connection,( f type, screw on), if so you can connect your TV directly to your dish and by inputting a UK postcode,( I use SW72AP, Albert hall), you will have Freesat, giving you BBC 1 on 101 etc. By connecting an aerial you tune in the Saorview channels, giving you Irish and UK channels through you tv without external boxes.

thanks a million. I will check.

Apologies this might sound dumb, few questions regarding aerial
    - where shoould I connect the aerial
    - can i put the aerial inside the house? If yes then is there any recommendation

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

One word of warning. I have a Samsung of similar vintage.
    Whereas it can receive the UK Freesat service via the LNB and receive Irish terrestrial via aerial, switching between both is very difficult I've found and just don't bother with Irish terrestrial at all.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

- can i put the aerial inside the house? If yes then is there any recommendation

thanks

I have a zgemma H7s. It's a combi tuner, so you can attach two sat cables, and an antennae cable for saorview. Saorview and the free uk channels all set up in one menu, with recording series link etc. Setup was a bit of a learning curve, but I would look to any local satellite installers in your area.

Have a look at these two threads, if you're interested in what they look like..
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057925678
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2058029916

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm a happy customer of https://www.satellite.ie/ their advice was good and charge was fair. Quick to get back to you if you have any queries and very helpful with a minor issue subsequently.

Based in south Dublin too.

thanks

See photos, connect tv aerial (Saorview) on right, regular aerial plug and satellite connection, screw on type, on left. An outside aerial is recommended but if you are in South Dublin you may get away with an indoor aerial pointed towards 3 rock mountain.

decor58 wrote: »
    Checking the spec on that tv, it should have a satellite tuner built in, so you should not need an external box. Check if it has a satellite connection,( f type, screw on), if so you can connect your TV directly to your dish and by inputting a UK postcode,( I use SW72AP, Albert hall), you will have Freesat, giving you BBC 1 on 101 etc. By connecting an aerial you tune in the Saorview channels, giving you Irish and UK channels through you tv without external boxes.

Thanks a million, Decor. I have now connected it to the TV and I am getting all UK channels. thanks a million again.

Hi All

thanks everybody. I now have UK free to air channels by connecting the Sky TV cable directly to my TV and it allows me to record to USB as well.

Now I just need Irish channels. Can help?

thanks

Advertisement