Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting shooting

• 30-09-2020 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

A chairde

I'm looking to get involved in shooting but have no experience(I've shot a gun once or twice in my life) and only know a handful of hunters. I had hoped to do a competency course this year but they've been cancelled due to covid19 so that has to wait to next year in the mean time I want to start doing a bit so was thinking of asking the one or two lads I know who do a bit if I could come along just to get that experience.

any other suggestions or anyone in the general north Tipp area willing to help someone get into hunting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Good way to start might be clay pigeon shooting. Gets you used to handling a gun, meet like minded people, probably will drive you to buy a gun and equipment. Then just reach out to club members, local gun club or local landowners and go from there. I'm lucky as it was always a family pastime so it came easily to be, but I can understand how difficult it is to stay from scratch with little or no contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

mallards wrote: »
    Good way to start might be clay pigeon shooting. Gets you used to handling a gun, meet like minded people, probably will drive you to buy a gun and equipment. Then just reach out to club members, local gun club or local landowners and go from there. I'm lucky as it was always a family pastime so it came easily to be, but I can understand how difficult it is to stay from scratch with little or no contacts.

Do most clay shooting clubs have facilities for non licensed shooters? I know one of the local gun clubs organises clay shoots but it's always advertised as open 'to all licensed shooters' I suppose theres no harm in checking.

I'm not a million miles from Lazy dog in Limerick either so could check with them as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Yes some of the bigger ones encourage it. I'm on the east coast, so courtlough would be handy enough for me. I've brought bunches of people from work on staff socials and I'm the only shooter in the bunch. Club supplied the guns and guidance and at least four people that I know off since bought their own guns and now shoot away themselves. One now does more hunting than I do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

A chairde

I'm looking to get involved in shooting but have no experience(I've shot a gun once or twice in my life) and only know a handful of hunters. I had hoped to do a competency course this year but they've been cancelled due to covid19 so that has to wait to next year in the mean time I want to start doing a bit so was thinking of asking the one or two lads I know who do a bit if I could come along just to get that experience.

any other suggestions or anyone in the general north Tipp area willing to help someone get into hunting

Ask the lads you know and you will probably be surprised how willing they are to help out a newcomer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

There is a 2 clay ranges up that way. There is thurles clay shooting grounds. And Jim Barry has a grounds a couple of miles outside of nenagh. It would be a good place to start. Do you know anybody that shoots at all? They could bring you to either place and get some practice for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

A chairde

where abouts in north tipp.,if you dont mind telling me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

where abouts in north tipp.,if you dont mind telling me

I'm living near Templemore

Advertisement