Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Relief on pensions where employer contrinues

• 30-09-2020 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭

So i'm in the 30-39 age group and according to citizens information, can get relief on upto 20% of my salary. Cool

Employer contributes 8% though.

So... does that mean i can only do my own 12% to get the tax free on all it or do i get a way with self-contributing 20% on top of their 8%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Most pension contribution relief is done via net pay arrangement. That is, your contribution does not count towards your taxable pay - it comes out of your gross salary. In this case, there's no additional relief.

If you contribute outside your payroll, ie. you get paid and then you arrange to pay it into your pension yourself, then you can avail of tax relief.

Check your payslip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Employer's contribution isn't counted towards your relief, so if your employer pays 8%, 10% or 12% etc you can still pay in up to 20% and avail of the tax relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Employer's contribution isn't counted towards your relief, so if your employer pays 8%, 10% or 12% etc you can still pay in up to 20% and avail of the tax relief.

it can be counted on some PRSA arrangements

Advertisement