Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does upgrading this make sense?

Options
  • 30-09-2020 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I was planning on building a new PC this year, but I got an older PC from work that I can use for work, but can also do what I want with it. Just wondering if there is any sense in upgrading it. I haven't hooked it up yet, so can only report on the specs I know for certain:
    • Motherboard: Asus H81M-PLUS
    • CPU: Intel core i74790 @ 3.60 GHz
    • RAM: 16 GB (no idea of speed yet)
    • SSD: 256 GB (Samsung Evo I think, again, no idea for certain)
    • HDD: 4 TB for some reason
    • GPU: MSI 750 Ti
    • PSU: Corsair VS350

Quick google tells me the motherboard is maxed out at 16GB of RAM. The PSU I would imagine is the biggest issue if I was to try to alter the GPU?

Any suggestions/ideas/comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah, with that PSU I wouldn't go for any GPU that requires more power; i.e. no higher than GTX 1050 Ti / 1650.

Wouldn't hurt to throw it into a nice case, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

For 60fps 1080p gaming, that machine will be more than plenty with a PSU and GPU upgrade. Maybe look at some second hand cards like an RX 580 which can be gotten below 140eur, would be a solid machine at low cost. For a PSU I'd happilly go for something like this: https://www.cclonline.com/product/231736/KL-C600/Power-Supplies/Kolink-Core-Series-600W-80-Plus-ATX-Power-Supply/PSU1437/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

djan wrote: »
    For 60fps 1080p gaming, that machine will be more than plenty with a PSU and GPU upgrade. Maybe look at some second hand cards like an RX 580 which can be gotten below 140eur, would be a solid machine at low cost. For a PSU I'd happilly go for something like this: https://www.cclonline.com/product/231736/KL-C600/Power-Supplies/Kolink-Core-Series-600W-80-Plus-ATX-Power-Supply/PSU1437/

Thanks for this. My target would be just that - 60fps 1080p. Not a shooter fan, I do enjoy GTA/RDR2/Civ type games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

A GTX1650 Super would be fine, PSU isn't great but it's fine for lower-end cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

Agreed, come to think of it, given that the 1650S will max out around 95W, you're probably better off going Nvidia over the cheaper RX 580 and keep the power supply.

The AMD cards are hugely power hungry and a 1650S can be got new for around 160EUR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What sort of performance would you expect to see with that card? How would it compare to a PS4 (which is my only benchmark right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

It would be good bit better than PS4 Pro.

Advertisement