Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD upgrade

Options
  • 30-09-2020 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm running what is now a 4 year old machine

i7-6700k at 4Ghz
    asus maximus VIII hero
    Nvidia 1080 GTX
    16Gb ram
    Corsair 750w psu
    Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD

I've recently upgraded to a new 165hz Dell IPS monitor (and may ugprade the graphics to nvidia 3 series or the new navi) however today i'm consider an SSD upgrade mostly due to capacity.

I've not followed the market here recently other than to see there is a new samsung 980 pro and the sabrent rocket (and I don't have PCI 4.0 right?)

If I wanted to upgrade to a 1TB or 2TB SSD what would offer better performance at higher capacity?

Not sure my mother board has two slots then to replace the drive. What would be the best way to clone the existing windows install?

Intel® Z170 chipset :
    1 x M.2 x4 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)*1

Thanks,

Woden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If it's for gaming the difference between even a SATA SSD and a PCIe 4.0 one is negligible.

I have the Sabrent RocketQ and find it excellent. Wouldn't he suitable for something like video editing as its QLC NAND.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Think you'd have to get an m.2 to sata adapter to clone the existing m.2 onto a new one, like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6PMZLW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZSkDFbPGF94H2 or else if you had another normal sata drive lying around you could clone the old m.2 to that and then clone that to the new m.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Think you'd have to get an m.2 to sata adapter to clone the existing m.2 onto a new one, like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6PMZLW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZSkDFbPGF94H2

I don't think it will work. His m.2 SSD is an NVMe model, and will not work in a SATA enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

JoyPad wrote: »
    I don't think it will work. His m.2 SSD is an NVMe model, and will not work in a SATA enclosure.

Yep you're right completely forgot about that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hmm I do have 3TB HDD that I could partition perhaps. Then clone the existing SSD onto that and then clone back from the the HDD to a new SSD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

That would work, will take time to process to HDD.
    And what will you do with Sams 950 ?

If get compatible enclosure can use for clone and then as external storage...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=external+enclosure+for+Samsung+950+PRO+512GB+SSD&ref=nb_sb_noss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Woden wrote: »
    Not sure my mother board has two slots then to replace the drive. What would be the best way to clone the existing windows install?

I've used Acronis, which is included when you buy most Crucial products and it's super easy to use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

a complete new install will be faster you can download it from Microsoft on usb stick
    no intel cpu does not support PCI 4.0
    maybe in 2021 they say 1tb will be faster than
    512 gb drive.if your mother board has nvme slot
    you can install faste nvme drive its slightly faster than ssd nvidias nes cards will be in short supply.some of them have cheap capacitors so fail when overclockin the 3080 and 3090
    Asus puts the good capacitors in but i have never seen NVidia Asus gpu video card

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-stability-woes-faulty-capacitors

Advertisement