Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rotary Hammer Drill

• 30-09-2020 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations, I've various drills outside. And went through two cheap rotary hammers in quick succession. They were bought for specific tasks and tbf got a hammering excuse the pun.

Main use for a decent one will be that it can chip away at render or plaster and would chip away at a path if needed. Something that's not going to turn to mush quickly. Cheap ones did above but bearings for retaining the chisels in gave way.

Was thinking along these lines

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/makita-hr3210c-2-5-6kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-240v/51574

Anyone used one. Or similar recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I guess no one's uses hammer drills around here :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »
    I guess no one's uses hammer drills around here :P
    did you not notice the silence :D

I have 4 different ones, depending on jobs, from chisels on an sds drill up to the Hilti t1000 back breaker: I sold it to my brother in law but still get access to it
    One is a makita, "kango" only, no drill: works very well

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW I used a cheap corded Makita SDS drill with chisel bit to take down a wall and break up the foundations underneath and it worked great, but then it was stolen so I never found out how durable it was. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    FWIW I used a cheap corded Makita SDS drill with chisel bit to take down a wall and break up the foundations underneath and it worked great, but then it was stolen so I never found out how durable it was. :rolleyes:

Maybe it was stolen because its was durable :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My only concern about paying that sort of money for a good tool that the primary use is for chipping away at render or plaster would be that you are putting a lot if sideways pressure on the bit holder. That might be OK on a decent tool like that but on the cheaper tools its the quickest way I know to make the bit holder really sloppy.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

listermint wrote: »
    Any recommendations,...

.....Was thinking along these lines

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/makita-hr3210c-2-5-6kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-240v/51574

Anyone used one. Or similar recommendations

I picked up the smaller Makita HR2811 on amazon.de a few weeks back, mainly for removing old floor tiles and chipping away some old block work and plaster etc. found it excellent for these jobs, plenty of poke for the size of it.

I also had to chase a concrete floor for pipes as well, hired a heavy duty Hilti TE 70 & con saw for this, I would still be at it if I used the Makita :)

The Makita has hammer, rotary hammer & standard non-hammer rotary so I picked up a chuck and it worked great for mixing tiling adhesive with a paddle stirrer. I have a 22V hilti te4 for smaller stuff, but needed a mains drill with hammer only function, but the 240V Makita is dead handy for 14mm> with the SDS plus bits.

Advertisement