Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Errors in Leaving Cert predicted grades system

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭JDxtra

…and another point. I’m hoping EU data protection regulations were fully followed when the department decided to engage the services of this company. For all we know, this guy in Canada has the full details and exam history of 61,000 students sitting on an unencrypted laptop in his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

JDxtra wrote: »
    The problem here is that the department engaged Fernando Cartwright under the guise of his “company”. I don’t care if this guy is an expert in his field, that’s irrelevant. He’s a single person, and that’s a huge risk.

Many eyes should have been all over this - the algorithm, the coding and the most importantly the testing. It was too important to farm the whole process out to one guy.

Of course mistakes happen, but if this was done properly those mistakes would have been detected way sooner.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/firm-linked-to-errors-in-leaving-cert-results-paid-163-000-1.4369880
    The department said a full procurement process did not take place on the basis that there was “insufficient time” to do so.

The registered address for Polymetrika International Inc - 150 Hinchey Avenue - is a residential home in Ottawa, according to company records.

The company’s chief executive is Dr Fernando Cartwright, though it is not clear from the firm’s website or other records whether other employees or contractors are based at the address.

Fernando previously worked on Research papers for the Education and Research Centre in Dublin.

He was mentioned in this Debate in July by Thomas Byrne. Byrne denied having ever met him on Rte Radio yesterday.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2020-06-04/4/

Quote by Thomas Byrne
    I welcome much of what the Minister said today and acknowledge that some of the suggestions made by Fianna Fáil and other parties in Dáil Éireann over the last number of weeks have, in fact, been implemented.

I particularly welcome the role played by Dr. Fernando Cartwright in the process surrounding the calculated grades system, and the Minister's announcement of an independent monitoring committee for the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Thomas Byrne was Fianna Fail spokesman on Education earlier in the year and he wanted the exams cancelled before he became Minister of State for European Affairs later.
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/leaving-cert-thomas-byrne-1011403

Quote(from Article on 7th May)
    Fianna Fáil's Thomas Byrne publicly called for the cancellation of the exams last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What about money that's been wasted by kids parents going to places taking up 2nd offers who are now going to be offered their 1st place.
    What about people who got coorect points who would have got spots in courses only for students with Inflated grades to get their spot.

Their was a delay in these results coming out, as they were making sure they were correct.

They knew they were wrong but still went ahead with CAO offers the next day, 8 days later it came out and they had no answers to any solutions.

Today they stiill don't have any answers

But sure it's grand

Happens every year with appeals. I found that one of my kid's papers was only half-marked. That was well over a decade ago.

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    so my 7As
    were a mistake

I too had 7 As on leaving cert results morning, as I stood there with my head in my hands screaming......."AAAAAAA!!!!?!!!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement