Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pixel 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Someone a few pages back had issues tracking their headphones, I noticed you have to change the country to Ireland for it to work.

I received mine yesterday, setup was a breeze! Prompted to connect the P5 to my old phone, given option on what to transfer etc. Only did apps and settings, I'll manually copy over files after I delete some junk.

Will take a bit of getting used to the FP on the back (under screen on current phone) but I like it much better.

As already mentioned, the speakers seem fine with my limited testing, if you want good sound use those Bose cans you get with the promotion or other headphones!

Coming from a Xiaomi Mi 9T the screen feels flimsy, it's as it is hollow and fragile compared to my old phone. I assume this has something to do with the speaker being under the display.

I have nothing further to comment really, everything seems as expected to me based on the spec and promo, if it wasn't for the headphone deal (I cancelled an order for Sony wh-1000xm3 the day I found out about the Bose promo, will see if I like them) I probably would have went for the P4a.

Anyone able to tell me about add block and if it's possible to do some tweaks without root? Old phone has a swipe from L to R to change apps, little things like this I'll missing coming from Pixel Experience+

---edit---

I ordered this and this screen protector from Amazon, I don't like them because of the curved edge and it sticking out, send me a pm to arrange collecting one from me in Dublin if anyone wants one (might keep one spare in addition to the badly applied one I have now).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mesh123

My order from amazon has dispatched and says it will be here on Thursday next week, its been 14 days since I placed my order so am I able to start the claim on my headphones or do I need to wait until I get the device?

mesh123 wrote: »
    My order from amazon has dispatched and says it will be here on Thursday next week, its been 14 days since I placed my order so am I able to start the claim on my headphones or do I need to wait until I get the device?

Unless you have access to your IMEI already, I doubt you can claim.

Also, are you in the UK? Amazon wouldn't be eligible for a headphone claim in ROI.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Unless you have access to your IMEI already, I doubt you can claim.

Also, are you in the UK? Amazon wouldn't be eligible for a headphone claim in ROI.

The amazon terms and conditions page says it will work for anyone from the UK or Ireland

The amazon terms and conditions page says it will work for anyone from the UK or Ireland

Will be interesting to see how you get on. It says UK residents 18 or over in the ad, then in the Amazon terms, it says it's subject to google terms, and then says UK or Ireland.

Google terms say only Google and Vodafone are valid for Irish purchases.

Guess you can be the guinea pig :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

They refused a Samsung claim for me last week for same reason. Amazon said UK and Ireland but Samsung only stated Amazon as eligible for UK only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

dan786 wrote: »
    They refused a Samsung claim for me last week for same reason. Amazon said UK and Ireland but Samsung only stated Amazon as eligible for UK only.

Do you remember who ran the Samsung promotion?

Do you remember who ran the Samsung promotion?

I dont know the name of company but all these offers are managed by same company on behalf of manufacturers.

Samsung , Google and Huawei all use the same company. Thats why all promotional claim sites look exact same with exact same steps just working changed for each manufacturer/offfer.

I just spoke to Amazon support and was told that I will qualify for the bose headphones and when submitting my claim I should claim under Ireland even though Amazon is listed as a UK participating retailer.

I just spoke to Amazon support and was told that I will qualify for the bose headphones and when submitting my claim I should claim under Ireland even though Amazon is listed as a UK participating retailer.

When you claim under Ireland, I'm pretty sure you are only given Google and Vodafone as options in the drop-down to select where you purchased.

It's not an Amazon promotion, it's not their customer support you need to be speaking to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

When you claim under Ireland, I'm pretty sure you are only given Google and Vodafone as options in the drop-down to select where you purchased.

It's not an Amazon promotion, it's not their customer support you need to be speaking to.

Yeah they were the only two choices I could pick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

1 day on, absolutely no regrets here.

Delighted to be off samsung phones and back with a pixel. Good Lord the battery life is next level too. Currently just passed 4 hours SOT with 49% battery remaining. Ambient display took 8% overnight

Just spoke to Google support, at first they told me I would be eligible for the headphones as I bought from the UK and both Amazon and Google terms and conditions state ROI residents are eligible, but when I asked about claiming and shipping to an Irish address but claiming from a UK retailer, they had to contact higher level support and I am now waiting for an email response as "they have never had this question before".

You would think its pretty simple, I am eligible from all ends so therefore it shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully they get back to me soon so I know if I have to camp the Google store for a restock before the promo ends.

Just spoke to Google support, at first they told me I would be eligible for the headphones as I bought from the UK and both Amazon and Google terms and conditions state ROI residents are eligible, but when I asked about claiming and shipping to an Irish address but claiming from a UK retailer, they had to contact higher level support and I am now waiting for an email response as "they have never had this question before".

You would think its pretty simple, I am eligible from all ends so therefore it shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully they get back to me soon so I know if I have to camp the Google store for a restock before the promo ends.

It is simple, if you're in ireland you have to buy from Google or Vodafone for the promotion. You're trying to make a simple thing complicated, because you're going to have to deal with customer care people who only have a set script to work off.

Ultimately it's not even google customer support you have to deal with. It's the company they outsource the promotion to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Pretty clear in the terms and conditions that Amazon not included for Ireland. But you might get lucky...

https://pixel-offers.com/bose/en-IE/qualifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Can you not ship the headphones to Parcel Motel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    1 day on, absolutely no regrets here.

Delighted to be off samsung phones and back with a pixel. Good Lord the battery life is next level too. Currently just passed 4 hours SOT with 49% battery remaining. Ambient display took 8% overnight

Agreed, much better than the S9+ so far.

Pretty clear in the terms and conditions that Amazon not included for Ireland. But you might get lucky...

https://pixel-offers.com/bose/en-IE/qualifying

If you check the terms and conditions for UK, it says "This Promotion is only open to individuals with a shipping address in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland over the age of 18 ("Participant"). Businesses are not eligible to participate in this Promotion."

https://pixel-offers.com/bose/en-GB/terms

If you check the terms and conditions for UK, it says "This Promotion is only open to individuals with a shipping address in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland over the age of 18 ("Participant"). Businesses are not eligible to participate in this Promotion."

That's point 2. Point 1 has already stated which retailers are valid for each
    Subject to Participants pre-ordering or purchasing a new (not second hand or refurbished) select Google Pixel product as listed in Table 1 below ("Qualifying Product") from: Carphone Warehouse, Currys PC World, IDMobile.co.uk, Amazon, Mobiles.co.uk, E2Save.com or Dixons Travel, Currys eBay Store, EE, BT, Vodafone, Three, Argos, O2, Google G Store and JLP in the United Kingdom; and Vodafone IE & Google Store IE in Republic of Ireland ("Participating Retailers") between 30 September 2020 (19:31 - BST) to 19 October 2020 (23:59 - BST) ("Promotion Period")

• Advertisement

Hence why I am saying you might get lucky. However when they see you have an Irish address and the payment receipt shows Amazon, your entitlement ends.. But worth a try

Confused by your reply, I sent you the Irish terms and you replied with the UK terms?

Good luck either way!

Hence why I am saying you might get lucky. However when they see you have an Irish address and the payment receipt shows Amazon, your entitlement ends.. But worth a try

Confused by your reply, I sent you the Irish terms and you replied with the UK terms?

Good luck either way!

I replied with the UK one because I was told by both Amazon and Google support that buying from Amazon and living in Ireland makes me eligible for the headphones, the issue is Google support couldn't answer if it would be shipped to me, so I am waiting on an email back from them. I suppose if worst comes to worst I can use parcel motel or addresspal etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Experiencing something odd with my new Pixel 5. After a full charge, it shows 100% for hours afterwards, even though I'm using it all during that time. Battery usage since last full charge displays the message "Battery usage data isn't available". I could do a factory reset, but would rather not. Is there any way to reset just the battery monitoring on its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

My order is still pending, I ordered a Just Black on 4 Oct and my estimated delivery time is still 18/19 Nov.

I was onto Google Support and they said; "We’re experiencing an inventory shortage in EMEA for Pixel 5 devices. The shortage is driving a high number of contacts on device availability".

I told them I was more worried that I'll miss out on the Bose headphones and could they guarantee that I'd get a pair. They said that every Pixel 5 phone purchased before the 19 Oct will get a pair of headphones regardless on how late they submit their claim.

I asked about the "Limited Stock offer" in the banner on the Google Store page and was told; "Upon checking here there is no information for "limited offer only" under Pixel 5 but instead it is on Pixel 4a (5G) offer".

Make of that what you will

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

Alun wrote: »
    Experiencing something odd with my new Pixel 5. After a full charge, it shows 100% for hours afterwards, even though I'm using it all during that time. Battery usage since last full charge displays the message "Battery usage data isn't available". I could do a factory reset, but would rather not. Is there any way to reset just the battery monitoring on its own?

Maybe the battery is that good that after 4 hours it was still at 100%? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Does anyone have any suggestions for a headphone jack adapter with charging or a BT aux adapter.

Unfortunately work vans do not have built in BT and I can't/don't want to listen to 10 hours of Irish radio playing the same playlist of songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Mine arrived from Amazon today. Had to submit the claim for the Bose through the UK claim form and had to use Parcel Wizard's phone number and address. It wouldn't take my Irish number but seemed to take my Irish address but I changed it to Parcel Wizard before submitting to hopefully avoid any problems.

Will let you know if it's accepted it not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I see Vodafone have the Pixel 5 listed now for €629.99. Obviously a few quid more expensive but may be a route for anyone who missed it from other sources, assuming it also comes unlocked as the 3A did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Alun wrote: »

What's it like now?

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I see Vodafone have the Pixel 5 listed now for €629.99. Obviously a few quid more expensive but may be a route for anyone who missed it from other sources, assuming it also comes unlocked as the 3A did.

Its been up for a while now. The headphone offer is over so will be plenty on Adverts selling them for lower just to keep the headphones.

Edit: Actually it expires at 11.59pm today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

dan786 wrote: »
    The headphone offer is over

I thought that was open until 18th Nov (or until stock gone)??

• Advertisement

Panda5000 wrote: »
    I thought that was open until 18th Nov (or until stock gone)??

Actually it expires at 11.59pm today.

You need to buy Pixel 5 by 19th of October

Pixel 4a 5g buy between 5/11/2020 and 18/11/2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

Oh - I'll need to make a call on it today (via Vodafone) so! Didn't want black but don't want to miss out on the headphone offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

got my p5 black today from DHL (delayed with a redirect because our office is closed some days of the week). lovely device coming from a 3a, 90hz is very noticeable and appreciated for me, and the screen is generally higher quality as well.

nice to have a bit more storage headroom too @128GB. it's a fair bit snappier for me, especially the camera. the camera on the 3a had really begun to struggle for me recently, so this is a blessing.

feel is nice, but i've got a few kids so will be getting some kind of case for safety reasons anyway. hopefully it won't need to live on power saver mode permanently like my 3a. validation came through as well for the headphone offer today, it took a few days to validate for some reason and i was starting to get worried.

djr wrote: »
    got my p5 black today from DHL (delayed with a redirect because our office is closed some days of the week). lovely device coming from a 3a, 90hz is very noticeable and appreciated for me, and the screen is generally higher quality as well.

nice to have a bit more storage headroom too @128GB. it's a fair bit snappier for me, especially the camera. the camera on the 3a had really begun to struggle for me recently, so this is a blessing.

feel is nice, but i've got a few kids so will be getting some kind of case for safety reasons anyway. hopefully it won't need to live on power saver mode permanently like my 3a. validation came through as well for the headphone offer today, it took a few days to validate for some reason and i was starting to get worried.

You got your phone today, and you got your offer validated same day???? How'd you work that?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

You got your phone today, and you got your offer validated same day???? How'd you work that?

i had actually put through the bose offer application as soon as i got the imei on the shipping notice last week, and got a text message today to validate that the claim had been accepted today. took two business days for the bose claim to validate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I validated before the phone shipped!

Once it changes to being shipped, check the order details on the Google store and you'll see a serial number, that's your IMEI code, you should have everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rizzee wrote: »
    What's it like now?
    It's doing the same. I leave it on my Pixel stand at night so it's at 100% when I get up. It stays at 100% for about 4 hours and then starts to go down. It's currently at 69% after a good bit of use, so no complaints, but still a bit strange. I might leave it off the stand tonight and let it run down to empty and see if that sorts it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Still no movement on my order since 2am Friday when it departed the facility in Eidenhoven.

Edited to add - I ordered on launch night via the Google store. I was expecting it today or tomorrow now I don't know.

Still nothing for my order placed via Google on September 30th.

Order placed with Vodafone on Thursday now has tracking, so would expect it tomorrow or Wed at the latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Not going to get this bought before the offer ends it seems. Haven't been notified of any stock in at least two days, let alone the sage colour I want. Damn! So frustrating!

I'm actively trying to give them my money! :(

• Advertisement

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Not going to get this bought before the offer ends it seems. Haven't been notified of any stock in at least two days, let alone the sage colour I want. Damn! So frustrating!

You’ll see loads of stock appear once the headphone offer is over I’d suspect.

Vodafone had availability when I looked earlier

You're such a cynic. If there was loads of stock they're holding back due to the headphone offer, then they would have at least shipped orders like mine that were placed on the day of the announcement.

You're such a cynic. If there was loads of stock they're holding back due to the headphone offer, then they would have at least shipped orders like mine that were placed on the day of the announcement.

If they were competent at this then you’d have got yours before others that ordered later, regardless of stock or not.

Vodafone had availability when I looked earlier

Cheers, looking for unlocked version to use with 48 though.

Hmm, I'm not as hopeful of that either. The 4a 5G is getting a similar offer soon after and I'm getting one of those too. So maybe I'll pick up the headphones then.

Would have been nice to get the offer here though.

Cheers, looking for unlocked version to use with 48 though.

Already confirmed by someone on here that the Vodafone one is unlocked:
    Scirpt wrote: »
    Mine arrived today from Vodafone. Unlocked as well so well worth the extra 12 quid. Ordered it last week.

I'm on 48 also, and expecting one to come from Vodafone in the next day or two.

Already confirmed by someone on here that the Vodafone one is unlocked

Oh, I didn't know that! So I'd just buy a PAYG phone off Vodafone and it'll work?

I assume it'll be fine for the Bose offer too?

Oh, I didn't know that! So I'd just buy a PAYG phone off Vodafone and it'll work?

I assume it'll be fine for the Bose offer too?

Yup

Sorry for the stupid question, but is it possible to buy it without having a Vodafone account? Asking me for account numbers etc if I try to register.

EDIT: Vodafone live chat no help whatsover. Just keep telling me that the phone is locked.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the stupid question, but is it possible to buy it without having a Vodafone account? Asking me for account numbers etc if I try to register.

EDIT: Vodafone live chat no help whatsover. Just keep telling me that the phone is locked.

From memory, you just have to register with an email address when purchasing. I have had Vodafone accounts in the past, so I just registered with a dot missing from between my first and last name of my email address, so it registers as a completely new email as far as Vodafone are concerned.

Advertisement