Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

Does anyone know who my son in law can contact about this , he was told it would be 6 weeks but now almost 6 months, he is nervous driving around with just a licence number he was given. He has emailed Ndls a good few times with no reply
    He is worried ìf stopped by garda he will be in trouble any advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Hi, my license expires at the end of next month-when should I apply to renew it? Also, I dont have a public service card, but I do have a MyGov acount as I am on the PUP. I'm in the West, in case that makes a difference to wait times! Thank you..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

Has anyone ever had to return a license/permit before and if so what was the wait time?
    I recently got my motorbike Lerner back in early April(completed theory before they shut in December). Having seen the date of expiry was wrong (05/12/21) I sent it back to Cork with a hand written letter saying it should be good for 2 years. It's over a month later and I called and after half an hour on hold the woman said it was still in processing. I know covid but a month still seems too long . Anyone else get a misprinted license/permit before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Hi. I have to renew my license. What do I need to bring on the day. I looked on the website but it wasn't clear......

Proof of address etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you have a public services card you can do the entire thing online, much quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Hi. I have to renew my license. What do I need to bring on the day. I looked on the website but it wasn't clear......

Proof of address etc?

Bring on the Day - so you are scheduling a visit?

If the address on the your current license hasn't changed - bring that and the fee. If scheduling a visit you do not need a PS Card or MyGovID, I certainly didnt!

That's all I needed. Renewing online is hassle if you dont have the PS Card.

I have an appointment on Friday in citywest

My address is the same

Bring on the Day - so you are scheduling a visit?

If the address on the your current license hasn't changed - bring that and the fee. If scheduling a visit you do not need a PS Card or MyGovID, I certainly didnt!

That's all I needed. Renewing online is hassle if you dont have the PS Card.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its pretty clear in all fairness:

- A Public Services Card and verified MyGovID.
    - Proof of your address dated within the last six months if your current address differs from the one you provided when you applied for your PSC..........
    - Fully completed medical report form dated within one month, if required in your case.....

As I said, not that clear.

I don't have a PSC. Never applied for one. So do I need proof of address? Do I have to have a PSC?

How do I know if I need a medical cert? An eye exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

khaldrogo wrote: »
    As I said, not that clear.

I don't have a PSC. Never applied for one. So do I need proof of address? Do I have to have a PSC?

How do I know if I need a medical cert? An eye exam?

Is your address now different to the address printed on your licence? If yes, bring proof. If not, don't.

Do you have a medical condition? Do you drive trucks or buses? Are you over 70? If you answer yes to any of those 3 questions, bring a medical report.

Is there a 01 code on your licence? If there is and you no longer wear glasses, bring an eyesight report.

And no, you don't need PSC for in person application.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

An extension has been announced.

Any licence holder, who had not already renewed, and whose licence expired between 1 March 2020 and 31 May 2020 will have a new expiry date of 1 July 2021. These licences will be due for renewal now.

Any licence holder, who has not already renewed, and whose licence expired between 1 June 2020 and 31 August 2020 will have thirteen months (which includes the previous extension) added to their expiry date. By way of example a licence which expired on 31 August 2020 will have a new expiry date of 30 September 2021.

Any licence holder, who has not already renewed and whose licence expiry date is between 1 September 2020 and 31 October 2021 will have an extra ten months added to their expiry date. By way of example a licence which expires on 25 September 2021 will have a new expiry date of 25 July 2022.

https://www.ndls.ie/#new-extension-period-for-driving-licences-and-learner-permits-find-out-more

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It looks like they are not replacing people's licenses that have expired and they don't allow you to renew. This means if you are going to another country e.g. an EU country, you will be carrying what seems to be an out of date driving license. They say they are notifying the gardai but that's no use to someone abroad. Not very well thought out.

Anyone know if they are issuing replacement licenses for change of details or lost etc? And do those replacements have the newer date is expiry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

They spoke about this on the radio yesterday and random callers suggest this work around, to declare you licence as lost. However I don't know if this will work and how long it could take to arrive. Presumably there is a massive backlog anyway.

The radio caller suggested they were attempting to hire a car in Spain and contacted ndls who posted them a letter explaining the situation but when both car hire companies were emailed the better they claimed it would not suffice and they would need licence to not be expired. There was talk of it being a European wide issue with lots of extensions given but you would think hire companies would then be aware?!

I did a change of details as it's free and got a confirmation email that the new license will be with me in 3 weeks. Hoping it shows the new expiry date - I'd expect it to but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

this company is useless and inefficient at providing driving licences was there for a replacement as i lost my original, it was 4 weeks ago paid walked away thinking i might get it in the post, nothing

Rang the support line with my ref no. spoke to a rep left hanging then dropped

Made a appointment to go back to the clowns working in the center again on thurs they do not know what they are doing

who gave this contract to a bunch of incompetents.

they, as i expected should give a licence on the day u pay in the centres

For many people who may be out of the country from time to tme the exts are useless should have allowed both options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It couldn't be more clear. Just read the website and provide what's stated. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'm sure they're going to go out of their way to help you when you refer to them as "clowns". Who's the clown?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My son did his Theory Test online three weeks ago, on a Friday.

Monday we applied for his LP, online.

LP arrived on the Wed week, 9 days later.

Entire process less than 2 weeks.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

It seems that I have misplaced my licence so i need to apply for a new one!

It was up at the end of this year anyway so not so bad will i get a renewal notification for my liscence or should i just apply as a lost liscence?

Can both be done online?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭smilgy

How did this work out? Did the new license arrive with the new expiry date or the old one?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I don't have a MyGov ID, my driving licence expired last March but is extended until mid-January 2022, I am planning a trip abroad (Non-EU) and want to renew my licence. The earliest renewal is opening next week so I want to get the ball rolling.

I have a public services card with my photo, this photo was taken in 2013 and it very out of date. As I don't have a MyGov ID; I don't understand how it works, could I take a selfie and then upload it to their website and renew the licence this way?

• Advertisement

Got the license within 2 weeks or so and it has the new extended expiry date

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭smilgy

Thanks for letting me know! I've ordered a replacement as well through change of details. Will report back once it arrives (in 3-6 days no less!)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Seems to be a massive double standard in how online (GovID) applications and in person applications are being processed.

My learner permit expired in August so went along to the centre to renew (Aug 21) and got a confirmation email on the Monday saying nothing further required. Got an email a few days later saying I had not submitted an ID 🙄 and asking me to post my passport to a PO box (feck off!!). Sent the expired permit and had proof of delivery on Aug 30th. Rang last Friday (Oct 22 - 2 months on from appointment) and after an hour on hold was told its still "in processing" and the operator couldn't get anyone to give me a timeline, just we apologise for the delay, keeping waiting until the day after whenever to receive it.

I wish I'd been a good little citizen and got my PSC so I could apply online with my golden ticket except that at the time my local Intreo office was not taking appointments....

Fortunately I have a full car licence (permit is for the bike) so I haven't been left stranded by this bureaucratic nightmare....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi my husband got a letter to renew drivers licence. It he doesn’t have a psc card or mygov id…. I can’t see a number to ring and I can’t see how to make an appointment without a mygovid… is this the case or am I missing something please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Under the renew online option there is a renew in person option. Book the appointment. I did mine on Tuesday and received the licence on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ibeeby

I moved to Ireland from UK in October. I have a PSC and a validated MyGov ID so once I had obtained an eye test I applied on line to exchange my licence. The on-line process seemed to work well and I had a receipt to print out and a form to send off with my licence which I did the next day. Since then nothing. Time line is: Eye Test - 12.10.21; On-line application - 12.10.21; Post licence to NDLS - 13.10.21. Its now 20.11.21 and I have heard absolutely nothing.

NDLS don't answer the 'phone and don't respond to e-mails.

Needless to say I am disappointed. All other processes seem to have worked well - transfer of car registration etc flawless and trouble free.

Has anyone any idea how long UK licence exchanges are supposed to take? The NDLS web site FAQ suggests a pre-Brexit delay of 10 days which is clearly (in my case) wrong now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ibeeby

UPDATE: This morning, 24.11.21, I have received an "Application Approved" e-mail. Thank goodness. I take it that the delay is best described as "around six weeks".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Is it possible to get a replacement licence for a lost licence without a public services card or mygov.ie id??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Just to document my horrendous lack of service I've experienced from NDLS...

I applied for my full drivers license renewal in person at the Parkway Shopping Centre, Limerick on the 22nd of October past (I don't have a Public Services card or MyGovID card).

I received an email back from them on the 4th of November stating the following;

"Your application has been approved we will now proceed to issue your driving licence/learner permit.

Delivery by post normally takes 3-5 working days from the date of dispatch, however on rare occasions it can take longer. If your licence or permit has not been received and 10 working days from the date of dispatch has elapsed, please contact us by email here or by phone on 0761 087 880 and quote your application number."

No sign of it coming through my letterbox by the 24th of November so called them. It was acknowledged by them that a mistake was made on their part. She was to speak to her Supervisor and get the drivers license posted out.

No sign of it by the 9th of December so called them back. Guy I spoke to was very apologetic that the mistake had not being rectified and that the license would certainly be with me within 5 working days.

Still no sign of by 22nd of December (2 days ago) so called them back again in the morning. Again it was acknowledged that a mistake was made and again she was going to escalate the matter to her Supervisor. She also said she would get her Supervisor to give me a call back either that day or the following day (but I would likely hear from the Supervisor that day). Still no word from the Supervisor and she did tell me they would not be operating today, Christmas eve.

Each time I spoke to them I told them my license was out of date since early November, I do a lot of driving, risked meeting Garda checkpoints, in particular this time of year and may likely be in hot water if I was involved in a road traffic accident....pretty much all of which they should know already of course. Wrote them an email on the 22nd also to at least document everything in case such were to happen.

So here I am, 6 weeks after the very latest I should have received my license and still no license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Anyone know if NDLS are doing walk ins, or is appointment only?

Website says latter only but have heard of people walking in during Covid.

Advertisement