Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we need a new approach to Covid 19?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Can this be viewed anywhere apart from the RTE Player?

The amount of Ads on that thing is disgusting

Cheers

https://youtu.be/zKzQ-WqnZ50

I just did a search on YouTube, it’s only up a few hours. I never heard of Irish Citizens Journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

On paper I'm non vulnerable. 40, not overweight, exercise regularly (member of running club 30 years), reasonable diet, no known underlying conditions and I am fearful of picking this up. Rightly or wrongly listening to hse media I am anxious of this and of passing it on to others. Never worried about it seriously at all until the lockdown after St Patrick's Day. Cant put the genie back into the bottle now. It's just the media language at the moment. It's like it could be you in icu next narrative.

I don't get this at all. Am in 40s also, reasonably fit.
    I don't worry much about stuff, but if I was to worry about the stuff that could kill me or do serious damage, Covid would be well down the list.

I'd eat Covid for breakfast compared to something like pancreatic cancer or getting killed or badly maimed in a car crash etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

robbiezero wrote: »
    I don't get this at all. Am in 40s also, reasonably fit.
    I don't worry much about stuff, but if I was to worry about the stuff that could kill me or do serious damage, Covid would be well down the list.

I'd eat Covid for breakfast compared to something like pancreatic cancer or getting killed or badly maimed in a car crash etc

I think for a lot of people, its the passing it on to others that worries them. Specifically elderly parents. It would be difficult to live with.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think for a lot of people, its the passing it on to others that worries them. Specifically elderly parents. It would be difficult to live with.

I can certainly understand that. But the poster I replied to was specifically concerned for his own health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That is how I feel about it, but am not going to let it terrify me.

There are many things I can pass onto my parents that will cause bother including the cold and the flu, both of which can develop into something more deadly by weakening an immune system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

3xh wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/zKzQ-WqnZ50

I just did a search on YouTube, it’s only up a few hours. I never heard of Irish Citizens Journal.

Thanks for sharing, I wouldn't say anybody won that debate but good to see his points being aired. And even better to see McConkeys smile being wiped off his smug face, he's had an unchallenged voice for far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

prunudo wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing, I wouldn't say anybody won that debate but good to see his points being aired. And even better to see McConkeys smile being wiped off his smug face, he's had an unchallenged voice for far too long.

Picked up an old newspaper from July when everything looked calm, would be interesting to see McConkey being brought to task on his comments back then.

The thing with him is that he is making 'point in time' comments constantly, but is not held to account when he is wrong....in fact nobody really notices when he is wrong - as it takes two or three months for him to be proven wrong, and so he continues to hold court.

Very similar actually to what David McWilliams has been doing for decades now in the field of economic

Picked up an old newspaper from July when everything looked calm, would be interesting to see McConkey being brought to task on his comments back then.

The thing with him is that he is making 'point in time' comments constantly, but is not held to account when he is wrong....in fact nobody really notices when he is wrong - as it takes two or three months for him to be proven wrong, and so he continues to hold court.

Very similar actually to what David McWilliams has been doing for decades now in the field of economic

What has McConkey said that has not come true?

He said in July we should test at borders to become a Vietnam/Australia. We didn't and numbers rose. In July 20 per cent of cases were imported. Now probably less than 1 per cent. If government don't follow his advice how has he proven to be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

We need to stop reporting daily numbers. Its depressing, useless and is absolute madness.

They need to stop classifying people who went to hospitals with broken legs as covid hospitalizations if they test positive for covid once in the hospital...

NPHET needs to go. In the name "Emergency" team. Whats the emergency? is there something we dont know?? Is there an emergency?? Are hundreds dying per day? not even hundreds dying per quarter ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

wellwhynot wrote: »
    Yes we do. Of course we do.

The death rates since June in no way justify the complete over reaction by the government/NPHET.

Many, many more people will die from delayed screening or treatment than Covid. Hundreds of thousands will be unemployed by January. Who will pay for it all?

I fear the government have gone too far down the NPHET restriction rabbit hole to turn back now.

All working age people who are not vulnerable should be back at work in their offices. We should only be testing the sick. All the billions saved on testing snotty noses and PUP should be diverted to:

1. Increasing hospital capacity. Shocked they are only thinking of this now despite being given a blank cheque and 6 months of empty hospitals.

2. Rapid testing for all medical staff. Extra PPE/supports for nursing homes.

3. A national advertising campaign encouraging people to maintain a healthy BMI, eat better, take Vitamin D, Zinc and C to boost immune system.

4. Option for online schooling for vulnerable children/vulnerable parents.

5. Supports for elderly in the community. Strictly adhered to shopping and exercise times. A supply of PPE for visitors. Home help once or twice a week.

All that would probably cost a quarter of what we will spend keeping healthy people at home and closing businesses this winter.

Excellent post.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

wellwhynot wrote: »
    I fear the government have gone too far down the NPHET restriction rabbit hole to turn back now. ..........

You then have folk reckoning the schools should all close and the goverment are putting teachers at risk by keeping them open .........

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058101870

Loads of folk reckon we are living too much currently, frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Augeo wrote: »
    You then have folk reckoning the schools should all close and the goverment are putting teachers at risk by keeping them open .........

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058101870

Loads of folk reckon we are living too much currently, frightening.

The government now reaps what is sows. Their multi-million euro advertising campaign designed to provoke fear worked. It actually scared lots of healthy people. Those people want to close the schools and stay at home forever. None of us saw that coming...

You have to wonder who is advising them. Where are the PR companies in all of this? NPHET’s job is to advise yet for all intents and purposes they are in the spotlight running the country. The lack of critical thinking by the government and their advisors is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sydthebeat wrote: »

New Zealand closed down a whole city due to FOUR cases.

We'd never be out of lockdown if we tried the no covid approach

They got 4 new cases from out of the blue after 100 days of no community transmission. And they became 159+ cases very quickly.

And even before that happened anyone going in to NZ has to spend two weeks in quarrentine-prision ( and to pay for it themselves on many cases) - and this will continue for the foreseeable future.

Cannot see that working here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

He said in July we should test at borders to become a Vietnam/Australia. We didn't and numbers rose. In July 20 per cent of cases were imported. Now probably less than 1 per cent. If government don't follow his advice how has he proven to be wrong?

Its the old shoot the messenger syndrome. Some people don't like the message. They think there's a way back to where we were in January in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I was terrified until I went back to work and that was the middle of June. Now I know there is a risk of contracting it and I'm dealing with a few hundred customers each day in retail. Precautions are taken but tbh the fear of the virus is 90% gone. Caution is still taken but due to the messaging at the start, I was freaked. I'm 28 so I'm not in a high risk category but with the messaging I felt as if I was.

If there's one thing that should change is the message. Let's tell certain people that they will be ok. Let's tell others to take caution. Let's highlight some positives as they come. There is too much doom and gloom, and there are too many blanket restrictions, IMO

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I was terrified until I went back to work and that was the middle of June. Now I know there is a risk of contracting it and I'm dealing with a few hundred customers each day in retail. Precautions are taken but tbh the fear of the virus is 90% gone. Caution is still taken but due to the messaging at the start, I was freaked. I'm 28 so I'm not in a high risk category but with the messaging I felt as if I was............

I don't think that was due to any messaging, back in April and May we were all doing our grocery shopping without masks being compulsory ............. I don't think the majority of folk in your age group felt the way you did, I know I didn't and I'm a decade older.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

In July 20 per cent of cases were imported.

Have you got a source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's clear Governments new approach is to quietly ignore it I suspect, yesterday's shocking numbers and deaths got at best a whimper of a response, apparently having more than 6 vistors to your home will make all the difference FFS.

The approach to date is clearly not working and it will be very, very interesting what Tony Houlihans return on Monday will result in. I've gotten a sense Government were not taking Ronan Glynn seriously at all and the likes of Leo and his FG coherts cynical and dispicable undermining of NPHET over the past 3 months in particular will I hope bite them in the ass.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

He said in July we should test at borders to become a Vietnam/Australia. We didn't and numbers rose. In July 20 per cent of cases were imported.

Only 3% came from international travel in July. McConkey and the other zero covid fantatists have been consistently wrong about stuff like this.

https://www.thejournal.ie/green-list-travel-5154422-Jul2020/?amp=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Mind Boggles, another day of record numbers and Where's everyone? Obviously all planned a long weekend god bless them. This is getting out of control, shocking lack of any apparent concern from anyone in government this evening.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

On paper I'm non vulnerable. 40, not overweight, exercise regularly (member of running club 30 years), reasonable diet, no known underlying conditions and I am fearful of picking this up. Rightly or wrongly listening to hse media I am anxious of this and of passing it on to others. Never worried about it seriously at all until the lockdown after St Patrick's Day. Cant put the genie back into the bottle now. It's just the media language at the moment. It's like it could be you in icu next narrative.
    7 million caught it in usa

long term effects no sex you don't want sex this is for men was one side effect for ever

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-12/covid-19-s-health-effects-can-last-long-after-virus-is-gone

They’ve just thrown in the towel. They know the jig is up.

Golf gate, the Ryanair court case proving their ‘wording’ was deliberately misleading, Dr.Feeley’s appearance on PT, a clear change in social media tone from ‘stay safe, everyone’ to ‘open the damn country’

Good to see.

They’ve just thrown in the towel. They know the jig is up.

Golf gate, the Ryanair court case proving their ‘wording’ was deliberately misleading, Dr.Feeley’s appearance on PT, a clear change in social media tone from ‘stay safe, everyone’ to ‘open the damn country’

Good to see.

What had happened? Sorry I am running back to work from my break and can't check 😮

What had happened? Sorry I am running back to work from my break and can't check 😮

Sorry! Was a slightly tongue in cheek response to a poster.

All systems go still for NPHET.

As you were, funnydoggy.

Sorry! Was a slightly tongue in cheek response to a poster.

All systems go still for NPHET.

As you were, funnydoggy.

Ah thanks, I get ya!

Anyway I'm rushing back :D

Ah thanks, I get ya!

Anyway I'm rushing back :D

Would be nice though.

I see the Irish Independent are running with ‘......One further death’ on their website as top news item. Even though 6 are delisted at the same time. And no one can say when that citizen (RIP) died.

Disgraceful reporting actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

varadkar is great, at saying what he would do, always an expert on other peoples departments etc. Guaranteed if that fool were at the helm and you can argue, he is, things would be no different... I reckon you can write off 2021 aswell... let get realistic here!

This is actually an extract from that article!!!

"“Any death is regrettable, and our sympathies go to the families affected, but this second wave which is happening across Europe and Ireland is very different. As we speak now, only 1 per cent of our hospital beds have Covid patients in them and maybe 10 or 15 per cent of ICU. If it got three or four times worse, it would still be only using up a relatively small amount of our health service capacity.”

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Mind Boggles, another day of record numbers and Where's everyone? Obviously all planned a long weekend god bless them. This is getting out of control, shocking lack of any apparent concern from anyone in government this evening.

What record numbers were there today?

• Advertisement

Would be nice though.

I see the Irish Independent are running with ‘......One further death’ on their website as top news item. Even though 6 are delisted at the same time. And no one can say when that citizen (RIP) died.

Disgraceful reporting actually.

Disgraceful is a great word. I can think of another but I'll stay polite ;)

Advertisement