Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 switch 2 way switch socket wiring

Options
  • 30-09-2020 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

I have a socket I want to wire but all the wires are brown. Anyone know how to wire the switch back on

Comments

cena wrote: »
    I have a socket I want to wire but all the wires are brown. Anyone know how to wire the switch back on

Is there only one switch ?
    Most likely you have 2 lives (one in,one out) and one switch wire (to your lamp).
    You will have 2 wire in common and one in L1.
    Best thing you can do is guess ,if it doesn't work just try a different combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Best thing you can do is get an electrician. You've obviously got no idea what you're doing if you're calling a light switch a socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Is there only one switch ?
    Most likely you have 2 lives (one in,one out) and one switch wire (to your lamp).
    You will have 2 wire in common and one in L1.
    Best thing you can do is guess ,if it doesn't work just try a different combo.

3 switchs on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

3 switchs on it

One of the wires will we a permanent live which needs to be looped between the three common terminals on the switch marked "c". The other wires will be switch wires which go to either L1 or L2 on the switches.

Unless the permanent live is marked then the easiest way to identify it is to turn the power on and use a multimeter to check which one is live. This is not something someone without experience should do so I'll repeat my above advice and say you're better off getting an electrician. It can also be done by trial and error by trying different combinations of wires across the switches until you figure out the permanent live but if you don't know what you're doing this could take a while.
    Always turn the power before attempting to come into contact with the wires.

Are any of the switches two wayed to another switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Did you take a picture before you took the switch off. I assume you are talking about a switch here and not a socket? Is there only one switch controlling this light?

It might be better to get an electrician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

alan4cult wrote: »
    Did you take a picture before you took the switch off. I assume you are talking about a switch here and not a socket? Is there only one switch controlling this light?

It might be better to get an electrician.

That's it. I didn't take is apart. I wouldn't be here if I took a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That's it. I didn't take is apart. I wouldn't be here if I took a photo.

Nobody can answer your question without a lot more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Call an electrician.

Advertisement