Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal Order conundrum

• 30-09-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

my brother was given a postal order made out in his name. He has no passport and doesn't drive. The post office will not redeem the money without ID like these. What is he to do??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

my brother was given a postal order made out in his name. He has no passport and doesn't drive. The post office will not redeem the money without ID like these. What is he to do??

He should consider getting some ID, it's not exactly the only time he is likely to need it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Has he a public services card?

On a side not, who in the jaysus pays for stuff with postal orders in 2020?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Lodge it in his bank account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

Try another Post office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,988 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Apparently those who have to pay for TVs in hospitals. If you are bored listen back to Liveline about this.

• Advertisement

who in the jaysus pays for stuff with postal orders in 2020?

A lot of rural based buyers and sellers on sites like donedeal and adverts do be wanting to use them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

amdublin wrote: »
    Lodge it in his bank account

Thanks but i suspect that this is incompatible with the banking system!

No he doesn't so this is the issue.

And he has the postal order - that's why i'm asking.

Postal orders can be logged into a back account, it's even written on it ffs, Acc payee or PO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭con747

Old boards post so unless he has no bank account either. https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056788661

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Apparently those who have to pay for TVs in hospitals. If you are bored listen back to Liveline about this.

Yes was €17 a week, couldn't believe it. No point in having a pension when you could have 50 rental tv's on the go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

I know someone who only last week had to buy a postal order to post off to pay car insurance as local office is closed due to pandemic, they don't do online, they don't have credit/debit card so no other option!

Postal orders can be lodged in a bank no problem if he has an account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Garda Age card?

Or just get a passport.

Garda Age card?

Or just get a passport.

Thanks but the chap has no interest in leaving the country and for the sake of getting a few bob from a Postal Order your suggestion seems extreme and costly.

I'll get him to lodge it in the bank if it's possible.

Postal orders can be logged into a back account, it's even written on it ffs, Acc payee or PO

Thanks for your kind help.

Nope, I don't believe so. Totally can be lodged into a bank account...it is like a cheque

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thanks but the chap has no interest in leaving the country and for the sake of getting a few bob from a Postal Order your suggestion seems extreme and costly.

I'll get him to lodge it in the bank if it's possible.

And when the bank asks him to provide identification for the purposes of MLA, he will do what? Let them freeze his account while he tries to get a passport...

Which they will at some point as required by law...

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And when the bank asks him to provide identification for the purposes of MLA, he will do what? Let them freeze his account while he tries to get a passport...

Which they will at some point as required by law...

I've never been asked to show ID when lodging into my account.

Opening an account, yes
    Withdrawing from an account, yes

OP, does your brother have a bank account? How did he open it without ID?

Opening an account, yes

He has a bank account but he's of the vintage where such a thing wasn't needed then.

This whole business raises an important issue of ID whereby, for some people who don't drive, travel abroad or have a public service need there is no real option to establish identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He has a bank account but he's of the vintage where such a thing wasn't needed then.

This whole business raises an important issue of ID whereby, for some people who don't drive, travel abroad or have a public service need there is no real option to establish identity.

In that case he's going to apply for a pension at some stage? Pretty sure he'll need ID for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In that case he's going to apply for a pension at some stage? Pretty sure he'll need ID for that.

+1 OP, when your brother gets to pension age, he is going to need a PSC card for free travel and to collect the state pension from the post office. Registering for a PSC card requires ID so he would be well advised to start thinking about getting himself an official form of ID with his photo on it.

Civil servant not required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Civil servant not required.

He won't get the free travel without a PSC card.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Opening an account, yes

As an account holder may be asked a random intervals to validate you identify..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

You don't need to drive to get a driver's licence. You don't need to travel to get a passport. You don't need to be on welfare to get a PSC.

If your brother chooses not to bother having ID, when there are a variety of options, then that is their choice. But they will have to exclude themselves from modern conveniences. And it is nobody's fault but their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

There should be a note on his account to show ID when he's next at the counter again. Every bank account is suppose to be validated no matter when it was opened. Had to do it for an old Bank of Ireland account recently.
    But maybe this is more bank dependent (Main banks)

Either way he should be able to lodge it without needing ID.
    Usually over the counter withdrawals need ID but depends on the cashier too.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

What about a birth cert?
    What age is he??? If an adult he must exist somewhere on paper - even a work ID with birth cert might help?

Failing that go to a different post office .

What about a birth cert?
    What age is he??? If an adult he must exist somewhere on paper - even a work ID with birth cert might help?

Failing that go to a different post office .

Work ID was refused.

Not sure if he or for that matter anyone carries their birth cert around.:D

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

So was your brother able to lodge the postal order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Saudades

He might be able to get a Public Services Card with his birth cert and without photo ID, as per their website;
    *If you are an Irish or UK citizen and do not have a Passport or Driving licence as identification, you may still be issued with a Public Services Card. When you attend you will have an in-depth interview and additional information gathered during this interview will be verified in order to confirm your identity.

For Irish citizens born in Ireland, birth details can be verified online in most cases with the General Register Office. However, in some cases, it is not possible to locate the birth registration, so the person will need to return with a copy of his/her birth certificate.

Advertisement