Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas during Covid times

Options

Comments

jrosen wrote: »
    Is this a serious question?

You cant see how households mixing will lead to the spread of covid?

It could spread to the older person yes, although all precautions will minimise that risk. But that's it. The older person sees no one so therefore won't spread it further or back to the family.

Supermarket workers are seeing thousands of people evey day and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Considering the enormous positives from this and the serious negative mental health implications I believe it's a risk worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    They intend to lock us down again no matter what we do. Even if we were sticking to these restriction with military like precision the Govt would still find a reason to lock us down again. They even just said that we will spend most of 2021 in and out of lockdowns.

I don't blame people for wanting to give these clowns the middle finger for Christmas.

Judging by the news headline on TodayFm 20 minutes ago, it seems like you may be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Covid is not going to take a little mini holiday because its Christmas. It will still be there. We all know limiting our contacts is what we need to continue to do.

So all of this now. All this sacrifice will be for nothing. Because from December 1st, assuming we see the level reduce to 2/3 thousands of people will start mingling again.

People will be out of work again, surgeries will be postponed, school closures will continue.

Schools are open..what are you on about?
    Most surgeries are going ahead also.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,508 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Do people not think older people have no right to decide the level of risk they want to take? At advanced years each one could be your last, or at least your last in good health and sound mind. I know what I'd choose at that age.

I certainly do.
    Some people like to mollycoddle their parents and make them out to be totally helpless.
    Some elderly people are lying to their kids about their movements now they tell them they are staying at home when in fact they are out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Schools might be asymptomatic spread?

Surgeries are dependent on a negative Covid Test. Just know this because OH had surgery recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Schools have closed, classes have been sent home. Its been well reported on. If we continue making poor choices community transmission will increase and we will see more of this.

Surgeries are being cancelled. People who are in cancer remission are having their post treatment check ups over the phone. Breast check was stopped for a period of time.

Naas hospital was only in the paper this week over their covid crisis. 45 staff members unavailable for work. When hospitals face staffing losses it directly impacts their services.

Only some weeks back prime-time had people on who are awaiting transplants/hip replacements and their wait time has increased due to covid.

Only some weeks back prime-time had people on who are awaiting transplants/hip replacements and their wait time has increased due to covid.

Normal wait for a hip replacement in the public system is 1 year to see a consultant and then 2 years on an official waiting list. I shudder to think what it will be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It could spread to the older person yes,

And that's no harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭AlohaLights

bloopy wrote: »
    Judging by the news headline on TodayFm 20 minutes ago, it seems like you may be right.

Which headline is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

ixoy wrote: »
    People are going to meet regardless. No use trotting out the line, "The virus doesn't care.." because it'll make little difference. What I'm hoping is they maybe try and tackle it with a bit of common sense and maybe make strong recommendations that people who are meeting up over Christmas restrict their movements as much as possible beforehand (something I'd be happy to do if needed), at least in terms of social interactions. Won't get everyone but might make a difference.

Or how about dont meet up and continue to abide by government restrictions so this ****e isnt going on for any long than it needs to.

Some kind of public advertising campaign under a heading like " You are not special. It's a global pandemic"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Rebels won't take any notice of Government restrictions. Ever.

So those of us who try to do the right thing are wasting our time. We are helping but the rebels are not.

It is a bit of a battle really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Which headline is this?

Just on there on the 10 o clock headlines again.
    Health experts believe that level 5 restrictions may not be enough to stem the tide of Coronavirus cases.

And that's no harm?

Read my other posts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Or how about dont meet up and continue to abide by government restrictions so this ****e isnt going on for any long than it needs to.
    Nope, it needs to be planned that people *will* meet up at Christmas so act on that understanding and maybe encourage people to meet but meet only without mixing more than two house holds), do it in a more controlled manner - be that having windows open, encouraging shorter visits, ask for people to restrict movements in the lead up beforehand, etc. Saying "don't meet up" will not be followed by a huge chunk of the population (including lots who have been good so far, so best thing to do is be practical about it - otherwise you're burying your head in the sand (and it's irrelevant if you think people are doing so).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

We're headed for a lockdown in Jaunary and I for one think it's a great idea... needs though to be like the first one, not the nonsense we have at the minute

Need to get the mandatory quarantine for travellers set up too....

If this isn't done we're going to be locking down every few months and might not get out of level 3 for a long long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Wouldn't it be too premature to be making plans to meet up for Christmas especially plans for a large group meet up?

NHPET was hoping to get the case numbers down low for December and I can't see how the numbers are going to come down low in 2/3 weeks time and in time for Christmas. Retail will have to open up too and that will bring about an increase in movement and more than likely an increase in case numbers.

People will still need to keep their close contacts low for December and also Christmas otherwise they are risking the viral covid infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

ixoy wrote: »
    Nope, it needs to be planned that people *will* meet up at Christmas so act on that understanding and maybe encourage people to meet but meet only without mixing more than two house holds), do it in a more controlled manner - be that having windows open, encouraging shorter visits, ask for people to restrict movements in the lead up beforehand, etc. Saying "don't meet up" will not be followed by a huge chunk of the population (including lots who have been good so far, so best thing to do is be practical about it - otherwise you're burying your head in the sand (and it's irrelevant if you think people are doing so).

That's what responsible people will do. The pandemic and recent months has shown up a lot of greedy and irresponsible people and behaviours like the person who came back on holidays and thought about only themselves and their own social lifes and infected 56 other people.

owlbethere wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be too premature to be making plans to meet up for Christmas especially plans for a large group meet up?

NHPET was hoping to get the case numbers down low for December and I can't see how the numbers are going to come down low in 2/3 weeks time and in time for Christmas. Retail will have to open up too and that will bring about an increase in movement and more than likely an increase in case numbers.

People will still need to keep their close contacts low for December and also Christmas otherwise they are risking the viral covid infection.

I've been working from home for months and am only planning to see my mother who is 84 and lives alone in an isolated area and some on here were horrified suggesting I should wave at her through the window. I couldn't imagine anything crueller if I tried.

I won't be doing any parties over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Cases going up past few days.
    Why can't people behave...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

i have no expectations....usually we visit people ..i doubt this will happen. it will feel muted im sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Rodin wrote: »
    Cases going up past few days.
    Why can't people behave...

NPHET should be using hip young influencers to get their message across

tenor.gif?itemid=4060111

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Some kind of public advertising campaign under a heading like " You are not special. It's a global pandemic"

The biggest lie being peddled this year. Vaccinating the population is the only thing that ends this. People not abiding by the rules doesn't make it last any longer.

So, as I live in Dublin, by December I won't have been allowed to see my family for 3 months. Why shouldn't I see them then? Because, shock horror it'll lead to more lockdowns? I'll have been under restrictions for 3 months already, why would I give a ****?

So I should continue to not see my family because seeing my family would lead to me not being able to see my family? lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

You have a husband and child don't you Antares? I have a fiancé and happy home. It doesn't stop me from feeling sad for people alone, for women who want a child and feel time is running out. Now they have what seems like never ending restrictions to deal with.
    Covid is serious and so are peoples needs and hopes and wishes.
    I think you should refrain from bringing people's personal circumstances into the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

eviltwin wrote: »
    Its not worrying about the human race ffs, its worrying about everyday life. People want to be out doing normal things, having relationships, planning families, going to work or college, just stuff.....its those things that make life worth living. That's all paused and people are entitled to feel a loss over it no matter how trivial it seems.

We're not designed to be educated via zoom, work from the kitchen table or meet our relatives through a glass window. We can't have people afraid to be in the world in case they bring this home to a vulnerable person, we can't go around with our faces partially obscured by masks or queuing to buy a loaf of bread. We'll do it for so long because that's what we need to do right now but we're doing it in the hope that it will soon come to an end.

Long term ,its just not an option.

"FFS" the post I replied to most certainly did focus mostly on procreation, er "f*cking" I believe was the term, a mention of inbreeding because people would not be allowed to sleep with those beyond 2 metres etc.

We've all made sacrifices, and continue to do so. You might show me where I advocated for a long term lockdown?

Then they just end up standing in a big group outside the shop. If more shops were open there would be less crowds.

Ah the old “but they’re forcing me to go to a house party” argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Other than not being able to head to the pub, I'll have a pretty normal Christmas meeting up with friends and family.

Even on the pub-front, I'd imagine there'll be a couple open for locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

bloopy wrote: »

I like Today FM, but the standard of their hourly news reporting is only a smidgen above tabloid papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'm not going to see my elderly parents because they're more comfortable with me not going. We had a conversation about it, and that's what we decided on.

There is a Long thread on Catholic Answers forum on travelling for Thanksgiving and this wise and caring attitude is one of those expressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

AdamD wrote: »
    The biggest lie being peddled this year. Vaccinating the population is the only thing that ends this. People not abiding by the rules doesn't make it last any longer.

So, as I live in Dublin, by December I won't have been allowed to see my family for 3 months. Why shouldn't I see them then? Because, shock horror it'll lead to more lockdowns? I'll have been under restrictions for 3 months already, why would I give a ****?

So I should continue to not see my family because seeing my family would lead to me not being able to see my family? lol.

the restrictions are so more people don't get covid and die and we don't collapse the health service.

do people still not understand this?? it's basic basic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

froog wrote: »
    the restrictions are so more people don't get covid and die and we don't collapse the health service.

do people still not understand this?? it's basic basic stuff.

I don't see to many here not understanding that, it's the level of restriction that's up for debate - L5: cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer.

Advertisement