Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas during Covid times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

bladespin wrote: »
    I don't see to many here not understanding that, it's the level of restriction that's up for debate - L5: cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer.

Nothing else works. People's behaviour has shown that.
    And the sledgehammer isn't being swung hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Rodin wrote: »

Nothing is going to stop crowds of young boozers ... it's gonna happen. Christmas will be bananas, the one thing that may curb it is ****e weather.

tough Enforcement is not there and likely not possible...we are not a police state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

Christmas meet up with friends on 19th in a house, Christmas day dinner with myself and herself heading to my parents and the sister is back from London to join us too. Take it easy besides for that, go to the spa and eat a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I'll go visit my parents as per their wishes but intend to self isolate for the 14 days beforehand to be sure i don't bring covid to them.

I can do without meeting friends and others this year. Can do that for many years to come. Parents are different.

A lot of people I know are doing the same. I expect to be ridiculed for this post but if it makes my parents happy and reassured that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'll go visit my parents as per their wishes but intend to self isolate for the 14 days beforehand to be sure i don't bring covid to them.

I can do without meeting friends and others this year. Can do that for many years to come. Parents are different.

A lot of people I know are doing the same. I expect to be ridiculed for this post but if it makes my parents happy and reassured that's all that matters.

Why would you be ridiculed? You’re making sure you dont bring anything into your parents - nothing wrong with that. I still live at home and my parents are in their early 70’s, I don’t see myself meeting up with a lot of people over Christmas, bar maybe 2/3 friends for a walk or outdoor hot chocolate...it’s been like this for me, more or less, for the past 8 months anyway, might as well hang on for another few months and hopefully the vaccine will be distributed to them at least anyway, as well as others in at risk categories. It’s draining but what can we do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

leahyl wrote: »
    Why would you be ridiculed? You’re making sure you dont bring anything into your parents - nothing wrong with that. I still live at home and my parents are in their early 70’s, I don’t see myself meeting up with a lot of people over Christmas, bar maybe 2/3 friends for a walk or outdoor hot chocolate...it’s been like this for me, more or less, for the past 8 months anyway, might as well hang on for another few months and hopefully the vaccine will be distributed to them at least anyway, as well as others in at risk categories. It’s draining but what can we do?

Thank you. The reason I expected ridicule is because a few people have told me it's excessive & a friend reacted badly that I'll miss her annual Xmas party, which she has cut down to 10 people in an attempt to justify it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I'm in the States and missing Christmas at home for only the second time in my life. This was decided a long time ago, along with other trips home, as its just not worth the risk until it is completely safe to travel for both me and the people I'll meet on the other side. Its unfortunate, but its the reality of this situation.

Everyone has their own circumstances, and I have no judgement to make on others decisions to travel, but I do think that every precaution should be taken if you go down that route, whether coming from abroad or popping down the road.

For myself, I plan to get on video calls to have a few beers with friends and family over the Christmas period, and to talk to my nieces and nephews on Christmas morning to see what Santa brought. There are 3 other Irish lads here who work from home and restrict their movements, and I plan to host a get together on Christmas Day and cook a ham (can't be bothered with turkey at the best of times), and again, a few beers. Might even get a tree for once and make the house a bit more festive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I'm in the States and missing Christmas at home for only the second time in my life. This was decided a long time ago, along with other trips home, as its just not worth the risk until it is completely safe to travel for both me and the people I'll meet on the other side. Its unfortunate, but its the reality of this situation.

Everyone has their own circumstances, and I have no judgement to make on others decisions to travel, but I do think that every precaution should be taken if you go down that route, whether coming from abroad or popping down the road.

For myself, I plan to get on video calls to have a few beers with friends and family over the Christmas period, and to talk to my nieces and nephews on Christmas morning to see what Santa brought. There are 3 other Irish lads here who work from home and restrict their movements, and I plan to host a get together on Christmas Day and cook a ham (can't be bothered with turkey at the best of times), and again, a few beers. Might even get a tree for once and make the house a bit more festive.

Good for you!

Have had to do that a few times when working abroad for Christmas , many moons ago , and it was ok, and just a different type of celebration . While I missed family I have to admit I didn't miss some of the sxxx that goes with it :)
    Do the ham and the decorations , and get the zoom calls over early in the day and enjoy the day with your friends afterwards .
    Will be plenty more Christmasses at home for you when things are hopefully safer .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Going to throw a few Christmas parties, 30 people invited on the 19th and then again on the 26th, looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Thank you. The reason I expected ridicule is because a few people have told me it's excessive & a friend reacted badly that I'll miss her annual Xmas party, which she has cut down to 10 people in an attempt to justify it!

Just curious but why is a vaccine considered a safe threshold for you to see your parents. Have you done an iRobot like risk assessment and deduced a certain percentage fatility possibility that is acceptable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Will be plenty more Christmasses at home for you when things are hopefully safer .
    a lot of people may not be around next Christmas

ISOP wrote: »

Especially if people don’t show a thought for others and flout around spreading this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭facehugger99

No such thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

Especially if people don’t show a thought for others and flout around spreading this virus.

Under the age of 85, we'll have around 540 less people in the population due to covid taking them out from now until this time next year. Hardly earth-shattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Rodin wrote: »

I don't know, for senseless destruction maybe but to curb the virus doubtful, especially if you consider the actual figures.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm with you. An elderly relative with vulnerabilities has been on her own since March. She hasn't complained once. But I'll be damned if I'm sitting at home with my family enjoying it all knowing she'll be on her own. So, we both are working from home, we don't plan to go anywhere except necessary shopping and even then I'll switch to online 2 weeks before Christmas where possible. There will be no other gatherings with any other households - all other family on both sides are fine with that. I plan on keeping my son off school and doing lessons at home for those two weeks, and we live in a low-population area with very few covid cases, so it's relatively safe for her to come and stay with us for the full Christmas, until the schools go back. She needs that. It's been a difficult and isolating year for her. She's getting Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Neyite wrote: »
    I'm with you. An elderly relative with vulnerabilities has been on her own since March. She hasn't complained once. But I'll be damned if I'm sitting at home with my family enjoying it all knowing she'll be on her own. So, we both are working from home, we don't plan to go anywhere except necessary shopping and even then I'll switch to online 2 weeks before Christmas where possible. There will be no other gatherings with any other households - all other family on both sides are fine with that. I plan on keeping my son off school and doing lessons at home for those two weeks, and we live in a low-population area with very few covid cases, so it's relatively safe for her to come and stay with us for the full Christmas, until the schools go back. She needs that. It's been a difficult and isolating year for her. She's getting Christmas.

Love this, I'm sure she's looking forward to it and will really enjoy her Christmas. It's a great example to set for your son as well. :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Love this, I'm sure she's looking forward to it and will really enjoy her Christmas. It's a great example to set for your son as well. :)

He knows that it means not playing with the next door kids for several weeks and he's fine with that, excited even. I could not be prouder of him.

I'll be spending Christmas day with my dad. Then I'll make a visit to my aunt and uncle. The only thing different about the day will be no vist to the nursing home to see mammy. Stephens Day will be spent with the in laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here the delivery slots are reserved for older people living alone. Also SuperValu is expensive.

It was but it has changed. I was surprised too; I cannot shop and they are the only supermarket near enough to deliver. I was dreading it as I had avoided SV like the plague

Have a look a their online shopping page? They are competitive with the "big four" now . And have smartened up too.. Excellent range and value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

I've resigned myself to the fact that i won't get home for Christmas this year, only my 2nd Christmas not being home. The first time was in 2014 as our first child arrived (the lovely staff in CUMH gave me a dinner with the wife as they didn't want me eating chirstmas dinner alone).

I've been home once this year in July and was really hoping to take the family up for the holidays and share the joy of Santa etc with my parents, but it's not to be.

If restrictions are loosened I'll go up myself for a weekend in December, if not i plan to do my shopping online in shops where i am from and get them sent to my homeplace so that the family are looked after as are buisnesses in Donegal.

Luckily my parents are in great health with no signs of slowing down, so next year all going well we'll have a proper Christmas.

Ah the old “but they’re forcing me to go to a house party” argument.

I'm nearly 50 - well past any house parties. Have been WFH since March. Don't see anyone except my immediate family. Still have to queue for over an hour to get into my local Dunnes stores when doing the family shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

for me christmas isn't a great time of year, working retail so only one guaranteed day off and don't have much of an appealing family situation with parents seperated and no young kids around really other than cousins who aren't local.

bit of a grinch take for those who it's a special time of the year, but i'm hoping for fairly tight restrictions so we definitely won't need level 5 again in january and can maybe even see restrictions lowered again sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

for me christmas isn't a great time of year, working retail so only one guaranteed day off and don't have much of an appealing family situation with parents seperated and no young kids around really other than cousins who aren't local.

bit of a grinch take for those who it's a special time of the year, but i'm hoping for fairly tight restrictions so we definitely won't need level 5 again in january and can maybe even see restrictions lowered again sooner.

Nah, I can see your point of view. Especially if you work in retail and Christmas isn't a big deal for you.

I'm getting more blase about it as time goes on. If we have to have Christmas at home with just ourselves, it'll still be lovely. It'll probably be less stress not cooking for four other adults to be honest. And the added bonus would be if there was stricter restrictions around Christmas, the shops would stay open for longer post-Christmas, which is good for everyone.

I'm going to roll with it either way.

ISOP wrote: »

Certainly true , if some having parties and then inviting elderly relatives over for dinner .

Neyite wrote: »

This is just the way to do it . Am impressed by you and your son .

I am working in a hospital so wouldn't be going to anyone's house for Christmas , and have been more or less isolated to immediate family since this started .
    So it'll be Christmas at home just us , and zom calls with the extended family .
    Just hope I am not rostered to work , don't know yet :(
    No elderly relatives , am sorry to say, anymore, but a few close are vulnerable so they will be celebrating with their nuclear families also.
    Don't feel we can do much more in the context of what is happening , but yes it is a sacrifice for this year .

I am working in a hospital so wouldn't be going to anyone's house for Christmas , and have been more or less isolated to immediate family since this started .
    So it'll be Christmas at home just us , and zom calls with the extended family .
    No elderly relatives , am sorry to say, anymore, but a few close are vulnerable so they will be celebrating with their nuclear families also.
    Don't feel we can do much more in the context of what is happening , but yes it is a sacrifice for this year .

That sounds tough. I've a sibling who work in a hospital and like that, they are just hunkering down for a quiet Christmas just the immediate family, and she's missing the wider family that she's not seen since the beginning of the first lockdown. She lives too far away for even socially distanced visits unfortunately.

Certainly true , if some having parties and then inviting elderly relatives over for dinner .

I think that poster meant some people may die before next Christmas and it won't be due to Covid.

I think that poster meant some people may die before next Christmas and it won't be due to Covid.

I don't know what he meant but it's very likely that if people don't restrain themselves from partying before they visit elderly or vulnerable relatives before Christmas there will be a rise in cases in hospital in the first week of January .
    It's not funny at all .

No problem if people are being careful , and visiting family this Christmas like yourself .
    I just know I am mixing with too many potentially infectious on a daily basis to visit my extended family and none of them are alone so it's not an issue .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Hope whatever you do, you’ve a nice Christmas break after a year like no other.

Advertisement