Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish National Road Races

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

ratracer wrote: »
    I’m sure there will be Gardaí and Moto Marshalls operating rolling road blocks to traffic on the route, same as happens at any road racing in the country.

Nope, it was on an open road. Saw the start zone for a while - some seriously fast and big trucks whizzing past on a road I wouldn't use too often because of the volume of traffic on it.

Orwell Wheelers have videos posted in their FB page, might be from RTE News, and shows the traffic. I tried to add a photo but it doesn't seem to be working

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Anyone finding any decent updates of road race anywhere other than the few by CI. The update twitter doesnt seem to be giving any updates??

Ger Campbell seems to be doing a better job of it than CI and the update account - https://twitter.com/gerardcam

Thanfully updates picked up since posting. Im following:

https://twitter.com/CyclingIreland
    https://twitter.com/gerardcam
    https://twitter.com/LkCycleDesign
    https://twitter.com/knockaderry2020

Its a pity there wasnt some foresight to designate a # for anyone posting updates so would be easier to follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

1.55 to healy according to CI - gap has been going out for a while - about 25 or so k to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

lennymc wrote: »
    1.55 to healy according to CI - gap has been going out for a while - about 25 or so k to go.

He definitely has world tour potential. On a great run the past few weeks.

up to 2.20 now

17k to go, nico chasing, gap 'over a minute'

ben healy has won.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

lennymc wrote: »
    ben healy has won.

Maybe INEOS will come knocking ?

• Advertisement

It was a fairly strong performance alright - good future ahead hopefully. I would imagine he has caught the eye of some of the wt teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Maybe INEOS will come knocking ?
    INEOS roster full for 2021, maybe Nico can have a word with the bosses at Sunweb, they are fond of developing younger riders
    https://www.ineosgrenadiers.com/article/ineos-grenadiers-confirm-final-signings-to-complete-2021-roster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

cunavalos wrote: »
    INEOS roster full for 2021, maybe Nico can have a word with the bosses at Sunweb, they are fond of developing younger riders
    https://www.ineosgrenadiers.com/article/ineos-grenadiers-confirm-final-signings-to-complete-2021-roster

I think Nico Roche and Ben Healy have the same agent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I think Nico Roche and Ben Healy have the same agent.

which McQuaid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

godtabh wrote: »
    which McQuaid?

Andrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

godtabh wrote: »
    which McQuaid?

Think it's Andrew.

Isn't one of them also involved in the running of Trinity Racing which is expected to fold after Pidcock finishes his cross/MTB season at the end of February '21.

Ben Healy is some fella , wins the road race and then kicks a game winning penalty for Munster on the same day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Think it's Andrew.

Isn't one of them also involved in the running of Trinity Racing which is expected to fold after Pidcock finishes his cross/MTB season at the end of February '21.

Also Andrew I think. Trinity Racing is purely a vehicle for Pidcock to do his stuff. Strange to think that an agent can afford Pidcock, Healy and others riding around Europe - getting great results to be fair - purely to show their client to best advantage, without a main sponsor even. There must be a serious percentage going his way when the golden eggs are laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Also Andrew I think. Trinity Racing is purely a vehicle for Pidcock to do his stuff. Strange to think that an agent can afford Pidcock, Healy and others riding around Europe - getting great results to be fair - purely to show their client to best advantage, without a main sponsor even. There must be a serious percentage going his way when the golden eggs are laid.

Is it not abit like Swiss Tony ? ...when INEOS buys his guys he gets a nice chunk of money

Also would Trinity sport not have some sponsorship ?

Very hard to get a berth at WT at the moment with NTT out of sponsorship , Wanty & CCC merging ...also COVID is cutting budgets

Lotto Soudal are letting up to 10 of their more mature riders go and are concentrating on very young riders.Maybe Healy could get a place there

Seems everyone have seen Pogacar,Evenpol,Piddock and want a piece of that
    But wonder how long these guys will survive so young at such a high level

Maybe Healy could wait a couple of years more before going WT...it might be better in the long run

Mitchelton Scott maybe? there's a McQuaid connection there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ben Healy is some fella , wins the road race and then kicks a game winning penalty for Munster on the same day :D
    I liked a tweet from the Munster supporters club and only realised when I read you're post.
    MPFGLB wrote: »
    But wonder how long these guys will survive so young at such a high level

Maybe Healy could wait a couple of years more before going WT...it might be better in the long run
    I imagine few teams care, once they get there few years of high level performance.
    Mitchelton Scott maybe? there's a McQuaid connection there.
    Did I hear they maybe winding up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Mitchelton-Scott just signed Michael Matthews so they should be ok for next year

Meanwhile young Lara Gillespie won the women’s race

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Mitchelton-Scott just signed Michael Matthews so they should be ok for next year

Meanwhile young Lara Gillespie won the women’s race

Well done Lara Gillespie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

redlead wrote: »
    How common around Europe is it to have a national TT on a hard shoulder? I was kind of shocked to be honest. Is it cycling Ireland not putting the effort in? I see we didn't have any women at the worlds either.

It’s embarrassing , so kudos to Roche for even bothering to come back over to ride when he might do with a bit of a rest before the Vuelta, not to mention the whole isolation rules for Lockdown - I doubt it was a hard decision for Martin n Mullen not to come even if they were allowed by their team

How do the lads in the North do the ITTs? Aren’t they very big on firm trial races ?

All they need going really fast and even if the hard shoulder is clean and smooth and wide, is for an ignorant ****er in a big truck to sweap very close by and the whoosh of wind that comes with it ,totally put you off your pace

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Paralympic medals which is why you haven't heard of them. It's rare Ireland gets any kind of Olympic medal so you would have definitely heard of them if it was in the Olympics

Mark Rohan was a multiple world and Olympic para Olympian gold medalist for the hand bike thingy (excuse the lack of correct description) he became well known and how he became disabled. From a well known family in the Midlands and his career was definitely covered by the local press . He is now in Portugal running a bike business out of the success , more power to him

The Irish over all have an excellent record at both the Para and Special Olympics ,which is remarkable considering Ireland is not always known for the best sport facilities outside the big three sports

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭nilhg

Cycling Ireland don't run the national championships, they get a local club or committee to do it for them, AFAIK the club has to finance it themselves.

Having a road closed is expensive, I can't find a page for Limerick but have a look at the Dublin version, closing 11km of road for the TT would cost in the thousands.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-permits-and-licences/how-apply-temporary-road-closure.

Most TT's run in this country week in and week out are run on similar roads to the national TT, if you have enough marshalls it's not an issue for the riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,171 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mark Rohan was a multiple world and Olympic para Olympian gold medalist for the hand bike thingy (excuse the lack of correct description) he became well known and how he became disabled. From a well known family in the Midlands and his career was definitely covered by the local press . He is now in Portugal running a bike business out of the success , more power to him

The Irish over all have an excellent record at both the Para and Special Olympics ,which is remarkable considering Ireland is not always known for the best sport facilities outside the big three sports

Not at all saying its not remarkable some times even more so it will never get the same coverage as even a bronze at the Olympics and the post I was replying to was just a little misleading so I wanted to clear it up for another suprised poster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Watch the National champs program!

Advertisement