Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stove installation Advice

• 01-10-2020 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I’m quite tempted to put in a new stove - straightforward wood burning stove.

I’m wondering - how much would you save with self installation rather than getting a fitter.

Appreciate any insights.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Maybe 450, depending on work: you should get chimney swept first by a certified sweeper and get the the receipt for your HI file.
    Are you far from Tullamore? PM the answer

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Maybe 450, depending on work: you should get chimney swept first by a certified sweeper and get the the receipt for your HI file.
    Are you far from Tullamore? PM the answer

Does a chimney not need lining ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No mention of a fireplace! Maybe it's an up and out through the wall job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Private Joker

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all

I’m quite tempted to put in a new stove - straightforward wood burning stove.

I’m wondering - how much would you save with self installation rather than getting a fitter.

Appreciate any insights.

Get it done by an OFTEC certified installer. The money you spend will be worth it for the peace of mind that your family won't be poisoned by carbon monoxide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

would anyone really think about getting one installed if the writings on the wall for burning timber at home. Im not saying its right or wrong or that its going to come in tomorrow. but it seems money pissed up a wall. money that should be spent on insulation or heating improvements.

• Advertisement

Solid fuel burners will be around for a while yet, even if the grade of wood changes by law (for what's that's worth in practise). I'm strongly thinking of putting one in myself next year.

Solid fuel burners will be around for a while yet, even if the grade of wood changes by law (for what's that's worth in practise). I'm strongly thinking of putting one in myself next year.

Why though? whats the benefit of this over actually sorting out your homes heat retention issues . Genuine question - surely a modern efficient boiler of whatever variant and better insulation / airtightness is a smarter decision short and long term.

Id spend the money on a home survey tbh

Not a fan of that glow on a winters evening then?:)

Not a fan of that glow on a winters evening then?:)

He's clearly better than the OP

listermint wrote: »
    Why though? whats the benefit of this over actually sorting out your homes heat retention issues . Genuine question - surely a modern efficient boiler of whatever variant and better insulation / airtightness is a smarter decision short and long term.

aesthetics, when its not on and when its on you cant beat the flame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭karlitob

Get it done by an OFTEC certified installer. The money you spend will be worth it for the peace of mind that your family won't be poisoned by carbon monoxide.

You’re 100% right. I won’t be stupid.

Just want to balance doing it right, cost and just wanting to do it myself (within my skill set).

I want to do the hearth and new fireplace and all that also. Good to get the advice. Thank you.

Good questions.

It’s not my primary heating source. I have a fireplace currently in that I rarely use. Mainly cos there’s no heat from it.

So aesthetics is one reason. Sense of cosiness is another - along with a whiskey and a book.

Radiators weren’t put in good places in two rooms - two are behind large couches. At the time, we went cheap on all radiators so didn’t have the tall ones that could go in awkward space and won’t be block. So I want to move three of them to better spots. I also think the kitchen/living (which is large is underpowered so a bigger one needed. That’s on the plan.

It’s a new boiler (10 years) but it’s not a battered thing and gets serviced yearly.

We’re fairly well insulated for a 50s house. Attic done. External insulation. Piped insulation between both leaves of front house (brick and block). New windows. Sub floor fully insulated.

Have a BER cert. that was before we put our windows in. Will get it out again though. Good point.

No mention of a fireplace! Maybe it's an up and out through the wall job?

Sorry. Yes fireplace, and simple up the flue job.

What’s all this about? Grade of wood changes?

He's clearly better than the OP

You are an absolute head case, stop following me around threads you weirdo. Go talk about haunted houses or other nonsense.

Good questions.

It’s not my primary heating source. I have a fireplace currently in that I rarely use. Mainly cos there’s no heat from it.

So aesthetics is one reason. Sense of cosiness is another - along with a whiskey and a book.

Radiators weren’t put in good places in two rooms - two are behind large couches. At the time, we went cheap on all radiators so didn’t have the tall ones that could go in awkward space and won’t be block. So I want to move three of them to better spots. I also think the kitchen/living (which is large is underpowered so a bigger one needed. That’s on the plan.

It’s a new boiler (10 years) but it’s not a battered thing and gets serviced yearly.

We’re fairly well insulated for a 50s house. Attic done. External insulation. Piped insulation between both leaves of front house (brick and block). New windows. Sub floor fully insulated.

Have a BER cert. that was before we put our windows in. Will get it out again though. Good point.

what ber did you get prior to the windows if you dont mind me asking.

What’s all this about? Grade of wood changes?

I'm thinking about wet wood, very bad for particulates. Dunno what the current legislation is but it'll only get tougher I'm sure.

what ber did you get prior to the windows if you dont mind me asking.

From E1 to a C1 before Windows.

Cracked open the report. They suggest a closed in stove to prevent heat loss - ha!

Our internal insulation is 80mm in some places rather than 100. And the Subfloor insulation could be better though plan On doing that when I upgrade the floors.

I'm thinking about wet wood, very bad for particulates. Dunno what the current legislation is but it'll only get tougher I'm sure.

Thanks. Is the general point that fossil fuels are going and that’s why not to install a stove?

From E1 to a C1 before Windows.

Cracked open the report. They suggest a closed in stove to prevent heat loss - ha!

Our internal insulation is 80mm in some places rather than 100. And the Subfloor insulation could be better though plan On doing that when I upgrade the floors.

Yes they don't like fireplaces they don't like light bulbs :P

Tbh I'm a big fan of ignoring BER and working to get a good comfort level in the building . Many methods of doing this that you won't get the BER gains. It's a guide system but had many flaws. Fireplaces are bad though.

• Advertisement

Yes they don't like fireplaces they don't like light bulbs :P

Tbh I'm a big fan of ignoring BER and working to get a good comfort level in the building . Many methods of doing this that you won't get the BER gains. It's a guide system but had many flaws. Fireplaces are bad though.

Absolutely the BER is flawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

Thanks. Is the general point that fossil fuels are going and that’s why not to install a stove?

Not really - more to do with solid fuels; coal, wood and peat. All of them create nasty airborne particles when burnt which are bad for the health of the people in the room and also the people in the wider neighbourhood. In the case of wood, the amount of particles that are created depends on its moisture content, i.e., how wet it is. It is likely in the next few years that new rules will come in so that only dried or 'seasoned' wood can be burnt. It may also be the case that the burning of wood will be controlled or even banned in urban areas.

You are an absolute head case, stop following me around threads you weirdo. Go talk about haunted houses or other nonsense.

Kinda hard considering you chime in on every thread on boards.ie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

ted1 wrote: »
    Does a chimney not need lining ?

Depends on the chimney..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

KaneToad wrote: »
    Depends on the chimney..

Not really, never seen a traditional chimney that wouldn't benefit from lining.

You can get away without lining a chimney and plenty of people do, but it does increase the chances of problems, particularly if you don't understand whats going on.

Most if not all as built brick and pot lined chimneys are designed for open fires because they have too much thermal mass. To get the chimney to clear all the soot and tar you have to loose 60% of your heat to the chimney. The chimney has to be hot with a good movement of air to stop the tar condensing.

A wood burning stove is too fuel efficient and far less heat is wasted up the chimney which leaves the chimney cold. So now instead of going straight out into the atmosphere much more of the soot and tar is deposited on the inside of the chimney. Thats OK if you sweep your chimney more often but people don't.

The other issue is that the adapters that are often used to connect into the bottom of the chimney can collect soot and tar between them and the chimney wall creating a good location for starting a chimney fire.

The lower thermal mass of a liner helps slowdown the build up of tar.

Wake me up when it's all over.

would anyone really think about getting one installed if the writings on the wall for burning timber at home. Im not saying its right or wrong or that its going to come in tomorrow. but it seems money pissed up a wall. money that should be spent on insulation or heating improvements.

I’ve had a good think about this suggestion and I think you’re right.

I had a look at a quote that I was given - €4500 (with marble fireplace). But I do have problems with radiators in the wrong spot and I think underpowered for the size of the room. I didn’t tell you (cos I wanted you to say go ahead with installing the stove myself) but the builders ‘forgot’ to put internal insulation on a 1x3m section of wall in the kitchen which one of the two radiators is up against.

So I might open up another thread if everyone doesn’t mind about radiators.

Cost, position, how to move them, can I buy and install myself and then get a plumber to drain and reconnect. That sort of thing.

Seems a shame that I have to do it after the house was renovated but there you are - I didn’t know enough back then. The cost of ignorance.

Kinda hard considering you chime in on every thread on boards.ie :rolleyes:

Its a discussions board, you have some issues you need to deal with. as i said. stop following me around. Its getting boring.

I’ve had a good think about this suggestion and I think you’re right.

I had a look at a quote that I was given - €4500 (with marble fireplace). But I do have problems with radiators in the wrong spot and I think underpowered for the size of the room. I didn’t tell you (cos I wanted you to say go ahead with installing the stove myself) but the builders ‘forgot’ to put internal insulation on a 1x3m section of wall in the kitchen which one of the two radiators is up against.

So I might open up another thread if everyone doesn’t mind about radiators.

Cost, position, how to move them, can I buy and install myself and then get a plumber to drain and reconnect. That sort of thing.

Seems a shame that I have to do it after the house was renovated but there you are - I didn’t know enough back then. The cost of ignorance.

In the same boat myself plenty of times, Its the cost of learning rather than ignorance i see it as. Means you are better tooled the next time. ;)

Advertisement