Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary move from Dublin to Cork - Good or bad idea?

Options
  • 01-10-2020 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope everyone is coping with the current situation.

I have been living in Dublin for years and the current sanitary crisis got me thinking about possibly moving to another location on a temporary basis (until we can all go back to an office setting etc..).

I have been living with two other roommates (which hasn't been easy) and I no longer see the point in being stuffed in an apartment with two other people if I can go somewhere else and rent on my own for a bit cheaper.

I've been to countless one bedroom apartment viewings in Dublin and I've never seen something like this. On top of the prices still being high (shocker) despite the drop in rate, every single time, there were about 15 people waiting to view the property. It is an absolute joke at this point.

I'm sure Cork is slightly cheaper than Dublin, but still expensive. However, the quality of life might be a bit better. I've never lived in Cork (only in Limerick and Dublin), so I don't have much exposure to the cost of living etc... That said, my big fear is that when things go back to "normal" (whatever this means), there will be a huge influx of people moving back to Dublin and prices will skyrocket again.

Appreciate if anyone could provide any insight.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

It’s never a bad idea to move to Cork!

I think rent is somewhat cheaper. It will be hard to find somewhere but maybe not *quite* as bad as Dublin. We don’t have a huge supply of one bed places if that’s what you’re looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I cant provide much special advice around the area of getting foot in the door for renting - but will just say for what your looking for I would really suggest getting somewhere centrally where you can move around town on foot or bike or something. Cork is less well served by PT than Dublin so you dont want to be stuck in a house in some suburb with a trek into town. Im sure youre doing it but there are decent places along some of the quays in Cork so have a good look for those. Also big new student accommodation on South Main street, and possibly others are ****ting it without student take up this year and looking to get permission for holiday rentals - in that environment they might do a deal to fill a space so worth talking to them. Maybe even B&Bs, loges or hotels would do something in this climate, it could end up being useful.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40051148.html

I think its a good plan, I'm a Cork native but spent many years in Dublin so would hope you can save *some* money and change the scenery a bit here. Its not radically different to Dublin outside of rent, you might get change out of a fiver for a pint of stout but nothing drastic. By all accounts Cork centre is less dead than Dublin at the moment, with the major asterix of upcoming phase 3 restrictions possibly coming in here (I dont think even wet pubs are affected by that though).

Best of luck, happy to answer anything that might come up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Getting your own place instead of sharing and getting out of Dublin, if you don’t need to be there does sound like a good idea.
    However, I imagine Cork is the second most expensive place to rent. So not sure how much you would save, considering you will be paying all the rent yourself instead of sharing.

Another thing to think about is the lease and notice period. If work only give you a few weeks notice to return to the office, will you have time to leave Cork and find somewhere else back in Dublin?
    But ya I can see where you are coming from, you don’t need to be in Dublin at the moment.

Shops/bars/restaurants etc are good in Cork. Also, plenty of nice places to visit in the county. If you manage to get over the border before lockdown :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Thank you, all. Really appreciate the input.

Our company has already warned us that we won't be going back until there is a vaccine, so it won't be until Q3 of 2021 at the earliest all going well. Then again, we don't know how this is going to evolve. We could be stuck of another year or things could start moving again in 3 months. It's unsettling.

Given the fact that I am already looking for my own place in Dublin and the average rent is €1.6/1.7K for a one-bedroom, I think I can find a similar sized apartment in Cork for about €300 less. Of course, it is always cheaper to share and save money, but I'm trying to get out of shared spaces at the moment. It's almost impossible to find a decent one bedroom in Dublin these days given how competitive the search has become. Dublin has always been subjected to a shortage of housing, but I've never seen 10 people queuing to view one-bedrooms. Agencies and landlords tell me tons of people are move out of their shared spaces etc.. It has been a hassle and most one-bedrooms aren't even up to standards.

I'm not too fond of Cork's weather, but I can deal with that. Then again, my main issue is the return to Dublin once all of this is over as I'm sure rents will inflate significantly and housing shortage will be even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Corks weather is brutal alright compared to dublin

• Advertisement

Level 42 wrote: »

Yeah - every single time I visited, it was lashing rain! I always pictured Cork as an area where it rains a lot, well it certainly didn't disappoint!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Level 42 wrote: »

Do you reckon? I have never thought they were very different, which is to say their both awful for 5/6 months of the year. That may be down to my experiences in Cork being more car centric living outside of the city, whereas in Dublin I have searing memories of being whipped by cold rain waiting for LUASes, taxis, buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Do you reckon? I have never thought they were very different, which is to say their both awful for 5/6 months of the year. That may be down to my experiences in Cork being more car centric living outside of the city, whereas in Dublin I have searing memories of being whipped by cold rain waiting for LUASes, taxis, buses.

Dublin is generally colder and dryer in the winter than Cork, in my experience.
    It rains more in Cork and is milder.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Dublin is generally colder and dryer in the winter than Cork, in my experience.
    It rains more in Cork and is milder.

I'd agree with that. It never really gets cold in Cork. Dublin is definitely colder. I live in Kilkenny now, and that blows both out of the water for coldness. However, summers here are genuinely warmer.

Appreciate the responses, but it would be great if the thread's core topic remains the OP, not the weather :) I know the weather is a legitimate topic in this country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Cork is a great spot, as a Dub I love it. Great vibe and great people.

But it is not the same anywhere now with Covid. And Cork is climbing in the infection stats now too.

As others have said RAIN is an issue, it is always raining in Cork. Always! Speaking from expat Dub experience here!

Best of luck to you I am guessing it is Apple on the Northside near the Traveller place. But hey just guessing.

Choose where you live carefully, as we all try to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭langer91

Recently moved from Dublin back to Cork a few months ago for similar reasons, paying 1,200 for a nice 2 bed apartment in the city. In Dublin it was 950 all in for 1 bedroom out of 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Clazbeag

The few places I know.
    Ballincollig has developed a lot recently- plenty of cafes and places to eat. Good high street buzz and close enough to town.

Bishopstown is filled with families and OAP couples- nice and safe but it's missing a "high street" feel where you can go for brunch at the weekend or grab a coffee. The Wilton shopping centre is the closest you would get!

St Lukes seems really buzzy at the moment- more young people moving in there and little cafes popping up/the Montenotte hotel for brunch and drinks.

You're lucky your work has given you such a steer on dates- totally helps with your planning!

It definitely helps with the planning. That's the reason why I was thinking about temporarily relocating.

It could be I will move to Cork and wonder "what the heck am I doing in this dump" :) (Cork isn't a dump). I still want to be in a somewhat "big city" without the stifling atmosphere of Dublin at the moment. Or maybe I just need to move to Malahide and call it a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

In terms of where to live - city centre is great, but there's not very much choice of apartments around town.

I prefer the older areas just a little outside the city centre, so St. Luke's / Wellington Road / Gardiner's Hill; or Sunday's Well area, or around the Lough. Other than that, being on the 220 bus route (24 hour route from Ballincollig to Crosshaven, via the city centre) would be a big plus. If you're ok with being a bit away from the centre, but want someplace with a bit of a buzz, then probably Douglas or else Wilton/Bishopstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

as a Dub myself , i would recommend living in Cobh - it has a bad rep. with cork people so rent likely to be cheap - people from outside cork like the place - in normal times busy with tourists at w ends - lovely people

goochy wrote: »
    as a Dub myself , i would recommend living in Cobh - it has a bad rep. with cork people so rent likely to be cheap - people from outside cork like the place - in normal times busy with tourists at w ends - lovely people

Why does it have a bad rep with the people in Cork?

Cobh is a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

say that to a cork person - i live in youghal and while theres a bit of dereliction in main street - its a nice place but if you asked alot of cork people they would raise their eyes to heaven at the mention of the place
    As cobh is a tourist place its friendly to outsiders - cork is clannish thats for sure - but once you are in with them - you are in with them .
    no fake friendships like in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

My wife & kids just moved to Cork (I'm still commuting a bit).
    I love it here, its a really beautiful place and the people are really sound (apart from the comments on my accent etc!).

I would def recommend it for a try if I was at your age & stage, especially if you know it only need be for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cork city is a great place. It has good rail and motorway links and while aviation is out at the moment it has good links into London Hub. There is no point though in moving to Cork and living out in Douglas, Bishopstown, Ballincollig etc. If you could get a place along the Western rd near the college or between the two branches of the Lee you would be in the centre of social life. With the increase in employment in the city though it can be difficult grtting the right place

• Advertisement
Advertisement