Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Min Thickness plywood for hanging on steel shed wall?

• 01-10-2020 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

I am planning on attaching plywood to the wall of my steel shed to hang some tools, etc. I have suitable steel beams to attach the plywood to and suitable screws to attach wood to steel with my impact driver.

My question is, what is the minimum thickness plywood advisable I can use that will allow hooks to be screwed to and hold a bit of weight, is 5mm too thin?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Yes. Light stuff might be OK, but anything with any weight to it, say a hammer, will pull the hook through.

I lined my workshop with 18mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Probably get away with 12mm, but 18mm would be quite strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I lined my shed throughout in 12mm pine shuttering ply, fixed to softwood battens. Where very heavy items were to be hung I fixed 18mm ply or chipboard between these battens before lining with the 12mm board, resulting in an overall thickness of 30mm- plenty of screw holding ability with that. 12mm is fine for lighter stuff, but I certainly wouldn't hang much off 5 or 6mm ply, unless you're hitting studs behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Purgative wrote: »
    Yes. Light stuff might be OK, but anything with any weight to it, say a hammer, will pull the hook through.

I lined my workshop with 18mm.

Ditto, but I made the mistake of using 5.5 red rawl plugs and 3.5 screws to fix it onto rendered cavity block.
    No good, ended up coming away but at that stage it was well overloaded with levels, planes, chisels.
    M10 *60 coach screws now, so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Done my steeltech shed with 10 mm ply onto 45 x 20 battens. Loads of different tools n shelves hanging off it. Plenty strong so far after 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Same size as the screw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Ditto, but I made the mistake of using 5.5 red rawl plugs and 3.5 screws to fix it onto rendered cavity block.
    No good, ended up coming away but at that stage it was well overloaded with levels, planes, chisels.
    M10 *60 coach screws now, so far so good.

18mm ply attached using 8mm galvanised mushroom fixings.

Hasn't budged in 8 years and I have many heavy items hanging off it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭boardtc

@Corkey123 What was the reason to used galvanised fittings? I had not heard of those mushroom jobs.

I used a sheet of 15mm for the tools and also a strip of 25mm I had lying around to hold bike hangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Corkey123

I might have used a local name (or my own) for these. There are the fitting used for fixing plaster board insulation.

I used these because I built my shed using 9" cavity blocks. When fitting the plywood (or anything for that matter) it can get very messy if you hit a cavity and at the same the time bearing the weight of the sheet.

So place the sheet against the wall drill through the sheet into the block and hammer in the fitting - pity easy and very effective. I have tonnes of stuff hanging off these sheets of plywood - and no bother yet

I used galvanised in case of any moist getting through the sand and cement finish, the blockwork and the barrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm going with 12mil OSB. The 18mil is a lot heavier per sheet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement