Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Recognition Act 2015.

Options
  • 01-10-2020 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

The following article is about the Gender Recognition Act of 2015 but doesn't address the question I ask here.

https://sandraduffy.wordpress.com/2020/10/01/the-gender-recognition-act-2015-a-long-time-coming/

Does the Gender Recognition Act let human beings who are biologically male (i.e. still have penises) but identify as female use females-only spaces, i.e. toilet rooms, changing rooms at gyms and at swimming pools?

Did our government not give any thought to the risk that a biological male might pose to women and girls in a females-only space? The following case in Scotland illustrates the concerns of people who criticise legal provision for self-declartion of gender identity.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/16/transgender-woman-18-sexually-assaulted-girl-10-morrisons-toilet-8914577/
    A transgender woman threatened to stab a 10-year-old girl’s mother during a terrifying sexual assault in the female toilets of a Morrison’s supermarket. Katie Dolatowski, 18, admitted grabbing the youngster by her face and forcing her into the cubicle before demanding she take her trousers off at the store in Fife, Scotland, on 4 March. She carried out a similar attack just weeks earlier, on 8 February, when another young girl using the toilet at an Asda store in Halbeath spotted Dolatowski using a mobile phone to spy on her over the partition wall.

PS: Although this issue has been discussed recently on another thread on this forum, I have started this thread because this isn't specifically about the reaction to what JK Rowling writes or tweets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

That this farce was snuck in under the radar should concern everyone.

The UK has held off on self-id, and for good reasons (Karen White for example). That it was ushered in here with little to no consultation just to show how wonderfully accepting we are was ridiculous.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Darwin's law will eventually win out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sounds to me like the issue is with Katie Dolatowski. It has nothing to do with however they id themselves.

A biological male should not be allowed enter a female designated bathroom or shower. Irrespective of what gender he identifies as. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The big calling cry over here in Britain is that self-ID has presented no issues in Ireland.

<Snip>

No siree bob, no issues there at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A good way to take the p*ss out of this would have been to self-ID as a female legally, apply for one of those Mary Mitchell O'Connor women-only professorships at an Irish university - win the job and thumb your nose while having an awesome Tom Selleck moustache.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Op your question would be best answered in the Legal Discussion forum

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

Also, I would advise people not to reference a current case that is before the courts as part of the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement