Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Level 3 and Gyms

• 01-10-2020 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Maybe someone in DUblin or Donegal can answer this but do gyms close in Level 3? It says individual training but what does that mean? Is it just personal training that goes on or is it just train by yourself inside the gym?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mengele wrote: »
    Maybe someone in DUblin or Donegal can answer this but do gyms close in Level 3? It says individual training but what does that mean? Is it just personal training that goes on or is it just train by yourself inside the gym?

Gyms still open.

Classes aren't. Using the gym is essentially individual training.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

I'm in Donegal. As a side effect of this I've noticed my gym a lot busier since level 3 - people who would usually be in group classes are now individual training as well. I left early one evening during the week as it was too crowded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

mengele wrote: »

This is clear in the government guidelines. Gyms will close at level 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭caviardreams

sp00k wrote: »
    I'm in Donegal. As a side effect of this I've noticed my gym a lot busier since level 3 - people who would usually be in group classes are now individual training as well. I left early one evening during the week as it was too crowded.

I've noticed the gym much busier the last few weeks too - maybe the september effect, as classes had been limited to 6 people the previous few weeks anyway iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Are gyms still allowed to operate with classes under level 3? Is there a max number of people per class or something? I thought gyms were only allowed open for individual training..if anyone could clarify. Cheers

• Advertisement

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    Are gyms still allowed to operate with classes under level 3? Is there a max number of people per class or something? I thought gyms were only allowed open for individual training..if anyone could clarify. Cheers

No classes at level 3.

No classes at level 3.

Strange our place is still doing classes 6 upstairs, 6 downstairs...

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    Strange our place is still doing classes 6 upstairs, 6 downstairs...

'Individual training only' means no classes. The guidance says no exercise or dance classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

some gyms are running out door classes, obviously a bit ropey this time of the year

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

'Individual training only' means no classes. The guidance says no exercise or dance classes.

Thats what I thought was the case, but our gym is still doing classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

silverharp wrote: »
    some gyms are running out door classes, obviously a bit ropey this time of the year

I’m attending an outdoor one.

Yesterday was the first day where you’d feel like winter is starting to be on us. I’d sort of preempted it by getting some insulated fleecy tracksuit tops, Adidas are doing a good range. Talking to the guy in charge he has booked heaters and canopies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Our gym is still doing classes too. Limited numbers as per usual but they're on. Gym floor is booked out now in the afternoons - first time I see it. People must be rushing to get their xmas bodies ready before the next lockdown. But look who's talking - I'm there almost everyday too (the only sane place left in this sad world).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 mammy2two

My gym is still doing classes of 12 people in a small un-ventilated space. The gym has no limit on the number of people in the gym and instead of making space between equipment they've bought loads of new equipment (some fab new machines ) so now if you reach out your hand anywhere you can touch the person next to you.
    I really don't want to have to give up as I love the gym and it is so good for my head.
    I'm trying to find the quite time which used to be at 6am but now there are three sets of classes and group strength sessions all over the gym. I don't think they believe they are doing anything wrong and are normally so accommodating but it just doesn't feel safe anymore. Who normally gives guidance to gyms for stuff like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Cill94

mammy2two wrote: »
    My gym is still doing classes of 12 people in a small un-ventilated space. The gym has no limit on the number of people in the gym and instead of making space between equipment they've bought loads of new equipment (some fab new machines ) so now if you reach out your hand anywhere you can touch the person next to you.
    I really don't want to have to give up as I love the gym and it is so good for my head.
    I'm trying to find the quite time which used to be at 6am but now there are three sets of classes and group strength sessions all over the gym. I don't think they believe they are doing anything wrong and are normally so accommodating but it just doesn't feel safe anymore. Who normally gives guidance to gyms for stuff like this?

There is no official body for gyms or trainers to get guidance on this issue. While the guidelines for gyms have been painfully vague, it sounds like your gym isn’t doing themselves any favours. I’d suggest you let them know your concerns. Might give them a kick up the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 mammy2two

Cill94 wrote: »
    There is no official body for gyms or trainers to get guidance on this issue. While the guidelines for gyms have been painfully vague, it sounds like your gym isn’t doing themselves any favours. I’d suggest you let them know your concerns. Might give them a kick up the ass.

Thanks Cill94
    I agree, I've mentioned it to a few of the trainers but was informed that they are operating a POD system that was permitted. they've been really cool with me since then
    I might write in formally to the Manager. I really don't want to get them in trouble as I like training in there also and the original gym users are all trying to comply its just the classes and the volume of new members that have joined that is making it difficult. I did find a quite corner this morning to train in far from everyone and I will just continue to make sure I do everything right but I'm worried that a cluster could develop here.

Advertisement