Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Sligo

Options
  • 01-10-2020 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Visiting Sligo this weekend. What's the story with the pubs in town. Do you need to book a table? Is there a time limit?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

sheamie brennans in tubbercurry great spot,the call him red :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Same as elsewhere really.

Booking is recommended most places but you could walk in too to larger places I'd say.

Wet pubs don't have time limits as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'm in Sligo at the moment on a break. Thomas Connolly's is a nice spot if you like something traditional, you can book a slot on their website.
    Walker's is quite new bar but we managed to get in without booking even on Saturday without booking. Some great restaurants, I'd recommend Knox, Bridgefoot House, Hooked and Walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Stay away from Andersons and Blind Tiger, allegedly.

Stay away from Andersons and Blind Tiger, allegedly.
    There’s no “allegedly" about it..

.. they've admitted a member of staff has tested positive and will be closing while remaining staff get tested and give the premises get a deep clean.

That’s the best a place can do in the current climate and they should be commended, and not chastised, for it.

Would you rather they said nothing?

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »

.. they've admitted a member of staff has tested positive and will be closing while remaining staff get tested and give the premises get a deep clean.

That’s the best a place can do in the current climate and they should be commended, and not chastised, for it.

That's only one place you've mentioned.
    We'll see how many cases arise out of it but that's how it started in Donegal too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I was in the Blind Tiger on Monday night, they could certainly do with a deep clean, we left after one drink as there was an overpowering smell of vomit where we were sitting. Inside the bar seemed safe from a Covid pint of view but there was a constant crowd outside the door.

Anything to add?

54731689.jpg

^

Did I indicate there wouldn’t be further cases anywhere?

Do you know for a fact it’s related to those businesses directly?

Did the establishment in question not act with the safety of their customers and public in mind once they discovered a positive case?

Do you want a pat on the back?

^

Did I indicate there wouldn’t be further cases anywhere? Did I say you did?

Do you know for a fact it’s related to those businesses directly? Yes

Did the establishment in question not act with the safety of their customers and public in mind once they discovered a positive case? Not at the time it mattered no

Do you want a pat on the back? No, as it wouldn't be appropriate in the current climate

• Advertisement

I haven't been in a pub since well before March, probably some time in 2019 for a couple of hours of an early Friday evening when waiting to pick up a Ho Wong.

Kennedys it was. I had 2 pints of Arthur and a packet of salted nuts, and very nice it was too. The wife was driving so all was good.

Have pubs changed much since then? I suppose the bar flies have gone?

Do I have to book or anything? How long can you stay in? Do you have to drink X number of pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I think with Connolly's you have to check with them on FB first

Haven't been in one in Sligo since re-opening. I was in a pub in Tipperary last Friday night and it was miserable. about 30 people in a pub that would normally be heaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I haven't been in a pub since well before March, probably some time in 2019 for a couple of hours of an early Friday evening when waiting to pick up a Ho Wong.

Kennedys it was. I had 2 pints of Arthur and a packet of salted nuts, and very nice it was too. The wife was driving so all was good.

Have pubs changed much since then? I suppose the bar flies have gone?

Do I have to book or anything? How long can you stay in? Do you have to drink X number of pints?

You would want to be quick for a sit in pint today, some have also announced they are closing as it's not feasible to stay open with the new restrictions for the next few weeks. (Outside serving for max 15 people at a time)
    Lillies for one have said they are closing (But might be doing takeaway cocktails)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

I think that's probably me done with pubs for a good while, years maybe. I can't see the point. I'll miss the meeting people social aspect of it, but to book and then having to squeeze into a time slot and/or having to socially distance with all the other restrictions and possibly risks just isn't for me. So it's an ironic "Cheers and good luck" from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I think that's probably me done with pubs for a good while, years maybe. I can't see the point. I'll miss the meeting people social aspect of it, but to book and then having to squeeze into a time slot and/or having to socially distance with all the other restrictions and possibly risks just isn't for me. So it's an ironic "Cheers and good luck" from me.

It'll never be the same. I used often go to Moran's in Grange for a couple after work. Didn't bother during the recent reopening. If you can't sit at the counter and have the crack with the lads it's not worth it. 14e to sit and drink 3 pints at a table on my own.

Advertisement