Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump tests positive for Coronavirus (Mod warning in the op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's quite sad, and telling, that there is need for a mod note in the OP telling idiots it's wrong to wish death on Trump.
    There are many people out there with hearts filled with hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Billy Mays wrote: »

Pence has to stand in for trump in a round of golf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

biko wrote: »
    It's quite sad, and telling, that there is need for a mod note in the OP telling idiots it's wrong to wish death on Trump.

One thing the internet has shown is that when people have anonymity the veil drops and the nasty side of people is there to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Pence has to stand in for trump in a round of golf?

That's the joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Panrich

Why a golf course? What of Trumps duties necessitate him being there in particular? Is he needed to replace Trump for a fourball?

Whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Between wishing death and virtue signaling, it's terrible!

Can't help but think you reap what you sow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Perhaps you are someone who automatically and unquestionably ascribes your own managers' positions to their genius and their leadership ability

Not really...

I recognised how useless Leo was as a leader, even before he got into the big office... his contrived media persona/image never once fooled me into thinking he was fit to lead our country. And so it transpired.

Same with the venerable CMO Dr. Hoolahan, I was never fooled by the public fawning over him or the appeals to give him some slack because "he has a tough job"... He may very well have a tough job, but he was/is still a poor leader.

I recognise Trump as an effective leader, because I know what that means... and I don't get tripped up by the negative rhetoric that surrounds him or the agenda that fuels most of the character assassinations that have plagued his presidency. I have the ability to see past all of that BS... it's unfortunate more people do not have that ability or even just the motivation to try! :)

km991148 wrote: »

Can't help but think you reap what you sow..

And just to be clear that does not mean I wish death on Trump. But if you trade in mocking others, are unable to show empathy, generally happy to fuel Ill will for personal gain and generally add to the decline in public debate and basic human decency, then you can't cry fowl when you are on the receiving end of such treatment.

Of course, Trump won't care anyway, it's all just another round of his name in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

And many more out there, full to the brim with virtue signalling .

• Advertisement

.. it's unfortunate more people do not have that ability or even just the motivation to try! :)

Fair enough, you liyve Trump, but all this holier-than-thou nonsense is keeping you closed off from trying to understand others points if view.

Because someone doesn't see it your way means you are dismissive of their views.

Stop being mean to the man who's spent his whole life being an absolute c*nt to others

Virtue signalling right wingers are a sight to behold

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stop being mean to the man who's spent his whole life being an absolute c*nt to others
    Ah, here's one now.

Ah, here's one now.
    Good morning squire

Anything happening in Sweden this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

km991148 wrote: »
    Fair enough, you liyve Trump, but all this holier-than-thou nonsense is keeping you closed off from trying to understand others points if view.

Because someone doesn't see it your way means you are dismissive of their views.

Love? lol

I've already stated that I don't agree with everything he says or does.

Why does it have to be reduced to either loving Trump or hating him to the point of thinking he's evil and wishing death on him? :rolleyes:

Where has the actual balance gone from public discourse?

It's like society is digressing when it comes to these type of discussions. More people from previous generations could disagree with someone else's politics or world views, and yet still manage to not be filled with hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m not going to lie, when I Initially heard he had it a part of me hoped he get it really bad or terminally. It’s a human trait to have an instinctive reaction to something like this that may be a bit extreme but it doesn’t need to define us all. There is a tendency online for people to act and react to things as if they are perfect and always respond to things in a balanced manner. The quality that most people lack is self reflection.

As I watched that clip of him getting onto the helicopter and he sort of tapped the top of the hand rails, I immediately thought of my dad for some reason. I think Trump is scared and tapping the top of the rail was a tell. Even in his pre hospital tweet speech “I think I’m doing well” (or something like that), he’s shown a vulnerability (he’s not sure) that he never shows. It humanised him to me and honestly I don’t want him to die or be left chronically ill.

I feel better not being angry at him, it’s a lesson that took me a long time to learn. Anger, while normal and instinctive, becomes corrosive and self destructive after a prolonged period of time. I do hope this experience changes Trump (although we hoped the same with Boris and it didn’t work!) and how he conducts himself. People have died because of his brazen and irresponsible attitude to COVID, that will not and shouldn’t be forgotten regardless of his outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I recognise Trump as an effective leader, because I know what that means... and I don't get tripped up by the negative rhetoric that surrounds him or the agenda that fuels most of the character assassinations that have plagued his presidency. I have the ability to see past all of that BS... it's unfortunate more people do not have that ability or even just the motivation to try! :)

Of course, the amount of people in his administration that have either been fired or resigned in the last almost 4 years is an excellent indicator of his leadership abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Not really...

I recognised how useless Leo was as a leader, even before he got into the big office... his contrived media persona/image never once fooled me into thinking he was fit to lead our country. And so it transpired.

Same with the venerable CMO Dr. Hoolahan, I was never fooled by the public fawning over him or the appeals to give him some slack because "he has a tough job"... He may very well have a tough job, but he was/is still a poor leader.

Since you mentioned Dr Hoolahan as well as Leo here, I assume you're speaking in terms of leadership with regards to the Coronavirus. It would seem clear to me that Leo and Dr Hoolahan have been far more effective than Trump in conveying the dangers and informing the public. They were very clear in their social distancing instructions and actually PRACTICED what they preached.

They stood at socially distanced podiums whilst informing the public of what measures were needed to take and spoke with empathy, meanwhile, Trump appeared to be cramming as many people as possible up on stage, rarely wore a mask, recommended untested drugs, spoke about injecting disinfectant and held indoor rallies.

Trump is a horrific leader and the only surprise is that he didn't get this horrible virus sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

All this rubbish of “don’t be wishing bad on anyone”

Not for me.
    Trump has mocked people for every conceivable reason from race, disability, age, family status, name and probably a host of other reason.
    He has kids in cages where they are being denied medical treatment and abused by their warders.

He’s a bad human, evil I’d say. I wish bad things on him in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

_Brian wrote: »
    All this rubbish of “don’t be wishing bad on anyone”

Not for me.
    Trump has mocked people for every conceivable reason from race, disability, age, family status, name and probably a host of other reason.
    He has kids in cages where they are being denied medical treatment and abused by their warders.

He’s a bad human, evil I’d say. I wish bad things on him in return.

Dramatic.

Hope you get lots of likes for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Love? lol

I've already stated that I don't agree with everything he says or does.

Why does it have to be reduced to either loving Trump or hating him to the point of thinking he's evil and wishing death on him? :rolleyes:

Where has the actual balance gone from public discourse?

It's like society is digressing when it comes to these type of discussions. More people from previous generations could disagree with someone else's politics or world views, and yet still manage to not be filled with hatred.

Exactly this and the problem is people are being lead into this division and hatred by the media. Look at both Fox and CNN in America. There is no grey anymore, everything is black or white.

I do hope we don't enable these left and right wing extremist views to take hold here.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Exactly this and the problem is people are being lead into this division and hatred by the media. Look at both Fox and CNN in America. There is no grey anymore, everything is black or white.

I do hope we don't enable these left and right wing extremist views to take hold here.

CNN call out Trump on his lies and his bull****.

Fox amplifies his lies and bull****.

Which is the more responsible reporting here?

Comparing CNN to Fox is phenomenal mental gymnastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think we have it already.

The 'banning' of Richard Dawkins from a Trinity debate being a good example. I wouldn't agree with all that he says but not allowing him to speak is ridiculous. He should be challenged not cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Panrich wrote: »
    Why a golf course? What of Trumps duties necessitate him being there in particular? Is he needed to replace Trump for a fourball?

Mike joins in whenever Melania wants an oul' fourball session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m not going to lie, when I Initially heard he had it a part of me hoped he get it really bad or terminally. It’s a human trait to have an instinctive reaction to something like this that may be a bit extreme but it doesn’t need to define us all. There is a tendency online for people to act and react to things as if they are perfect and always respond to things in a balanced manner. The quality that most people lack is self reflection.

As I watched that clip of him getting onto the helicopter and he sort of tapped the top of the hand rails, I immediately thought of my dad for some reason. I think Trump is scared and tapping the top of the rail was a tell. Even in his pre hospital tweet speech “I think I’m doing well” (or something like that), he’s shown a vulnerability (he’s not sure) that he never shows. It humanised him to me and honestly I don’t want him to die or be left chronically ill.

I feel better not being angry at him, it’s a lesson that took me a long time to learn. Anger, while normal and instinctive, becomes corrosive and self destructive after a prolonged period of time. I do hope this experience changes Trump (although we hoped the same with Boris and it didn’t work!) and how he conducts himself. People have died because of his brazen and irresponsible attitude to COVID, that will not and shouldn’t be forgotten regardless of his outcome.

He's definitely feeling vulnerable for sure and seems to already have been humbled. His latest couple of tweets show that.

A lot of his behaviours are very childlike.

I don't have sympathy for the position he and his administration are now in. The reality is they have brought it on themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

KaneToad wrote: »
    I think we have it already.

The 'banning' of Richard Dawkins from a Trinity debate being a good example. I wouldn't agree with all that he says but not allowing him to speak is ridiculous. He should be challenged not cancelled.

Then if it's already here we are in a very bad place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

People have been told over and over and over and over again how offensive Trump is and now they are all wandering around permanently indignant and offended, for what? People are morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭On the Beach

Donald Trump is a magnificent man. He's probably the greatest leader the world has ever seen. He's heroic. He's modest. He's a world class peacemaker. He should win the Nobel peace prize ten times in a row. He really cares about, not just the citizens of America, but the citizens of the world. Yes Donald is just great and we should all pray for him.

I'm trying to be level 11 of sarcasm here but that is the level of delusion of some of his fanboys on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not really...

So Donald Trump is a leader, and this is proven because he is someone who was born into a fortune and proceeded to get elected in a system where you need hundreds of millions to have any chance to run an effective campaign

Whereas Varadkar is not a leader and that is because he got elected under a different system where you don't need hundreds of millions to run an election. And Holohan is not a leader because he was promoted up to do a job.

I am merely pointing out the contradiction in your "logic"

I suppose that maybe the answer is subjective in that you are merely telling us what attracts you to a person as a leader. I suppose it is like the way that they always say that some women are attracted to men that treat them like shite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

briany wrote: »
    I can't help but suspect this. Time will tell - faking a bit of a headcold is one thing, but faking a potentially debilitating respiratory disease which is particularly dangerous for the elderly?

Of course it is easy. He could literally not bother to pretend he has any symptoms and it would fall in line with the vast majority of people's experiences (they are asymptomatic). And since when is 74 "elderly"? Did I fall asleep and wake up in the middle ages?

Sorry to break it to you but the strong likelihood is that he will suffer nothing worse than a head cold.

Advertisement