Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump tests positive for Coronavirus (Mod warning in the op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Jeehaysus, the chief medical officer for the most important person in the world is an osteopath. I've seen it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Danzy wrote: »
    Shocking.

It's people like your good self that should be acknowledged and given one of the most important medical roles in one of the best hospitals in the world.

Failing that you should send them a list of recommendations to act on.

his top doctor didn't know whether he had oxygen today. if he genuinely didn't know this guy should be nowhere near the medical team of a US President. and if he was scared to answer the question he should be nowhere near a microphone giving press conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why do the doctors keep saying how proud they are to treat the President, does that indicate they are willing to lie for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

why do the doctors keep saying how proud they are to treat the President, does that indicate they are willing to lie for him?

Because they're under instruction to make sure they always give the impression that Dear Leader Trump is a big strong boy and this is anything but serious. Wouldn't want to undermine their 8 months of lies downplaying the worst public health crisis in modern history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    Because they're under instruction to make sure they always give the impression that Dear Leader Trump is a big strong boy and this is anything but serious. Wouldn't want to undermine their 8 months of lies downplaying the worst public health crisis in modern history.

Nah it's just American bs. Proud to serve the position of president, i.e. the country etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

well its when they said they are proud of their team that Im suspicious it suggests that they are trying to say the doctors are good even if the situation and pressure thay are under to lie is not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i'm no doctor but i would think throwing multiple drugs, some unproven, at a patient is roll of the dice stuff. normally you would be worried about unknown drug interactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

froog wrote: »
    i'm no doctor but i would think throwing multiple drugs, some unproven, at a patient is roll of the dice stuff. normally you would be worried about unknown drug interactions.

More than likely is that they are confident that there won't be any side effects even if it doesn't work. And if there are, for someone in their 70's, it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference anyway.

If you give it to someone in their 20's and it takes 20 years for the side effects to manifest, then that is a big deal. Give it to someone in their 70's and they'll likely be pushing up daisies before those 20 years are up anyway.

Being put on steroids means it's a hell of a lot more serious than it's being portrayed. Also pretty sure he won't be getting out tomorrow.

I've been put on steroids for chest infections on average once a year for the last 18 years and have never needed to go into hospital for it. He'll be getting dosed up with everything they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Give it to someone in their 70's and they'll likely be pushing up daisies before those 20 years are up anyway.

Even for a man's man like Trump? :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I think it’s probably a bit hard for Irish people to get inside the head of your average American. My experience of them is they are brought up to be uncritically patriotic.

I spent time there as a kid and there’s a lot of pledging to flags and civics lessons about how great American democracy is. It’s never an analysis of it in your younger days in school, but more a bit like learning catechism in a Catholic school here in the 60s

Irish people see the Taoiseach as someone to be kept check on. Often they’re pretty scathing about him. They don’t revere the office. It’s just a job. The Brits are the same with the political classes, but forelock tug to royalty. The French barely tolerate the President and anyone who gets too cocky or reminds them of a monarch needs to pull their horns on fast!

The Americans however revere the office of President in a very odd way. It’s almost like an elected king. Insulting the President (in certain circles) gets you dirty looks or you’ll be told off. You’re expected to be patriotic, respect the military, probably be willing to be cannon fodder.

On the president’s side, they were usually at least statesmanlike, even if not always someone you’d agree with on policy. So there’s a bit of an odd relationship of deference. In some ways I would argue it’s a bit like how the Irish population used to view bishops.

Trump has smashed that and debased the office and you’re finding a lot of Americans now a bit lost. The left wing types would tend to be far more critical and we can relate to them. The right wing types, are desperately trying to patch up the respectability of the office. It’s a bit like the way certain people here would have tried to gloss over a corrupt or incompetent Catholic bishop 50 years ago or how some British people can’t abide a notion that royalty can do wrong. They know it’s wrong, but it doesn’t compute because that’s what they were brought up to believe. The American right wing behave around Trump very much like the Irish conservatives of the old days behaved around the imploding church scandals. They didn’t want to hear it and it didn’t fit their world view.

It’s odd with Trump as you can see the emergence of a kind of giddy freedom to ruthlessly mock the establishment. It emerged here with comedy like Dave Allen and then Father Ted and in Britain, particularly wirh with Spitting Image. I’ve never seen it in USA mainstream until Trump and I think maybe he’s done them a favour by causing them to step into an era where they can really begin to self criticique.

So you’ll see that element in the US who are trying to get behind their “commander in chief” no matter how incapacitated , how corrupt or how incompetent he might be. They go into this blind patriotism mode and many of them can’t even see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    Because they're under instruction to make sure they always give the impression that Dear Leader Trump is a big strong boy and this is anything but serious. Wouldn't want to undermine their 8 months of lies rdownplaying the worst public health crisis in modern history.
    Plus the drivel means less time to answer questions from the press. Personally found the self-abasement the most loathful moments in the presser. Moreso than the laughing confirmation of yesterday's obvious lies about O2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Jeehaysus, the chief medical officer for the most important person in the world is an osteopath. I've seen it all now.

From NPR
    Osteopathic medicine is a field geared toward a holistic approach, focusing on the role of lifestyle and environmental factors.

Frankly, if more doctors came from this area we'd be a far healthier people. For better to understand lifestyle and environmental factors than to simply prescribe the latest over priced drug.

On Trump, this looks to be a wheeze. I would guess that at worse he had mild effects, but its been made look like it is more serious.

He then gets a couple of treatments and he's back tweeting and roaring by middle of next week and claiming that a cure is so close and he's the leading example.

This will then give him a boost and make the race closer than we think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I’d say it’s real alright but they will milk it for *every drop* of political advantage. That you can be sure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Did you manage to write that rubbish without cringing?

I've having a craic with ye, there are some fierce holy Joe's in the anti Trump camp.

Lot of people pile on the Trump support, it's like having a craic off the type of personality years past that protested outside strip clubs saying the rosary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

440Hertz wrote: »
    I’d say it’s real alright but they will milk it for *every drop* of political advantage. That you can be sure of.

Any political party that wouldn't is run by fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The constant fawning over him is sickening. It's also very transparent.

They're almost as bad as Pence crawling up to him.

You would imagine Doctors would not feel the need to do that but some of them(if not all) are Military Doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

The constant fawning over him is sickening. It's also very transparent.

Indeed, the cure for covid must include ego massage too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

froog wrote: »

Plus I would say that for the team of presidential doctors around him there is a strong element for their own professional careers that they dont want to be associated with the death of a president. So they are more likely to take more risks with various medicines than they would do with a normal person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Plus I would say that for the team of presidential doctors around him there is a strong element for their own professional careers that they dont want to be associated with the death of a president. So they are more likely to take more risks with various medicines than they would do with a normal person.

That fear could have worked the other way and made them more cautious but they have taken the risk.

There is a risk with both trial drugs and how they react with one another plus how they react with Dexamethasone and others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

screamer wrote: »
    Indeed, the cure for covid must include ego massage too

Superego massage?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,491 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

saabsaab wrote: »
    Superego massage?

Naughty!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It’s odd with Trump as you can see the emergence of a kind of giddy freedom to ruthlessly mock the establishment.

When Biden complained about drug prices, billionaires not paying taxes, and a broken justice system Trump said 'you've been in politics for over 40 years why haven't you done anything about it'? I mean, he's 100% correct. Not only has Biden not done anything about it he's been actively complicit in it.

Trumps is the Democrats' swamp monster too and until Americans learn that Dems are little more than 'Republican Lite' then nothing will improve for the majority. I gave up on US politics after Obama's re-branding exercise of USA Inc, the US can't change from the top down, it needs to change from the bottom up.

I think it’s probably a bit hard for Irish people to get inside the head of your average American. My experience of them is they are brought up to be uncritically patriotic.

I spent time there as a kid and there’s a lot of pledging to flags and civics lessons about how great American democracy is. It’s never an analysis of it in your younger days in school, but more a bit like learning catechism in a Catholic school here in the 60s

Irish people see the Taoiseach as someone to be kept check on. Often they’re pretty scathing about him. They don’t revere the office. It’s just a job. The Brits are the same with the political classes, but forelock tug to royalty. The French barely tolerate the President and anyone who gets too cocky or reminds them of a monarch needs to pull their horns on fast!

The Americans however revere the office of President in a very odd way. It’s almost like an elected king. Insulting the President (in certain circles) gets you dirty looks or you’ll be told off. You’re expected to be patriotic, respect the military, probably be willing to be cannon fodder.

On the president’s side, they were usually at least statesmanlike, even if not always someone you’d agree with on policy. So there’s a bit of an odd relationship of deference. In some ways I would argue it’s a bit like how the Irish population used to view bishops.

Trump has smashed that and debased the office and you’re finding a lot of Americans now a bit lost. The left wing types would tend to be far more critical and we can relate to them. The right wing types, are desperately trying to patch up the respectability of the office. It’s a bit like the way certain people here would have tried to gloss over a corrupt or incompetent Catholic bishop 50 years ago or how some British people can’t abide a notion that royalty can do wrong. They know it’s wrong, but it doesn’t compute because that’s what they were brought up to believe. The American right wing behave around Trump very much like the Irish conservatives of the old days behaved around the imploding church scandals. They didn’t want to hear it and it didn’t fit their world view.

It’s odd with Trump as you can see the emergence of a kind of giddy freedom to ruthlessly mock the establishment. It emerged here with comedy like Dave Allen and then Father Ted and in Britain, particularly wirh with Spitting Image. I’ve never seen it in USA mainstream until Trump and I think maybe he’s done them a favour by causing them to step into an era where they can really begin to self criticique.

So you’ll see that element in the US who are trying to get behind their “commander in chief” no matter how incapacitated , how corrupt or how incompetent he might be. They go into this blind patriotism mode and many of them can’t even see it.

I got an email from a friend married to an American and living there for years. At the bottom of the email was in big letter: God Bless President Trump & God Bless America. Mr Trump is the best." I put in my reply "God Bless Ireland" with a smiley, but stopped short of "God Bless Taoiseach Micheál Martin". My friend is very religious and considers Ireland to have gone to hell, and that we are all sheep followed the path to satan. I said in my reply, as a half dr ent human would, that I hoped Mr Trump would make a good recovery. I got a further response with a kind of "hooray, you are not a sheep, you see the virtues of Mr Trump". Peculiar way of thinking, but if you have left Ireland in the era of bishop worshipping, then by going to US and being wed to a person who would be of similar thinking (or not opposed to it), then it seems you remain in a time warp.

That fear could have worked the other way and made them more cautious but they have taken the risk.

There is a risk with both trial drugs and how they react with one another plus how they react with Dexamethasone and others

I suspect they must have had some knowledge of precedence where the combo had overall better outcomes than otherwise in his cohort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I wonder does he really have it they say he might be out Monday
    He got it Wednesday

It takes 15-30 days to go sometimes 60

If he leaves hospital after 6 days it's all fake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    I wonder does he really have it they say he might be out Monday
    He got it Wednesday

It takes 15-30 days to go sometimes 60

Leaving hospital

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/president-trump-covid-19-positive-test-latest-news-2020-10-04/#app

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭briany

There's no way you'd be throwing experimental treatments at someone of Trump's stature unless A) You had a >90% certainty they'd work, or B) It was the last roll of the dice, or C) Trump genuinely believes his own b*llsh*t and demanded anything that could possibly help be administered.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,491 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When Biden complained about drug prices, billionaires not paying taxes, and a broken justice system Trump said 'you've been in politics for over 40 years why haven't you done anything about it'? I mean, he's 100% correct. Not only has Biden not done anything about it he's been actively complicit in it.

It's really for the Biden camp to rebut, with his record. Though, to be fair, the claim is nebulous. "You've done nothing" is taken literally, untrue for example. The argument is a bit of a smokescreen because it involves decades of congressional record, from votes to bills to speeches to filibusters to etc etc.

But making the claim that he's been actively complicit actually seems to beg much more specificity. Where was Joe Biden "actively complicit" in the drug prices (1) billionaires not paying taxes (2) and breaking the justice system (3)? And for each response what is the context around the decision, ie. did Joe vote on a spending bill that cut taxes to keep the government open etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Some people brush it off in days, others have zero symptoms, for the weak it can linger longer, it's fake news to be shouting fake without an ounce of proof.

Advertisement