Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump tests positive for Coronavirus (Mod warning in the op)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

briany wrote: »
    There's no way you'd be throwing experimental treatments at someone of Trump's stature unless A) You had a >90% certainty they'd work, or B) It was the last roll of the dice, or C) Trump genuinely believes his own b*llsh*t and demanded anything that could possibly help be administered.

Or D) The doctors know they're a fairly benign combination and won't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i'd say he could well be back in the whitehouse tommorow, just for appearances but basically being in the same medical situation. i'm sure they can set up whatever they need in the whitehouse. I'll be honest i was surprised the white house didn't have a tricked out medical centre in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

It’s a very dysfunctional system that’s been lobbied to death over the years and I think that’s been the reason Trump rose. He got a lot of votes from blue collar Americans, under false promises and being a wolf in sheep’s clothing and plenty of dog whistling.

That came about probably because of a perceived failure of the corporate side of Democrats in part, but they also tend to over credit and blame presidents for absolutely everything as they seem to think they’re magic strong man leaders who can deliver anything.

A huge amount of what happens in American politics is about Congress and state level government and big programmes also take time, but they tend to both credit and blame the last or incumbent president for absolutely everything.

Healthcare falls down on partisan issues between the two sides in the House and Senate. Obama couldn’t deliver a complete system because the House & Senate didn’t want it. So they blame Obama.

The reality is a president probably shouldn’t even be delivering those kinds of policies. They’re very much things that belong in the legislature.

I mean look at the insanity that went on with government lockdowns during the Obama presidency.

That pattern repeats and repeats.

It’s just a very broken system and it’s more about just two bunkers shouting at each other and they’ve no real appetite to really critique or reform it, so I’ve no doubt you’ll see more crazy in the USA over the years ahead, no matter which of the two parties has which bit of power at any time.

I wouldn’t hold out an awful lot of hope for the US as a stable democracy in the next 50 years unless it really gets down to modernising and reforming its democracy and curtailing the money in Washington DC. If it doesn’t, I think you’re looking at more chaos and future Trumps gaming the system.

To my mind Trump isn’t a Republican, he’s just in it for power and influence. The GOP have just been the stooges that let him climb in as a celebrity candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

humberklog wrote: »
    Or D) The doctors know they're a fairly benign combination and won't do any harm.

The treatments he is receiving have been standard protocol for a while now, in the US at least. Not sure about ireland. Doctors are actually getting a pretty good handle on treating it and now what works and what doesn't at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

It’s all about the optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would someone please explain to me what the Electoral College Votes are.

I have read and read about it but it is just a mystery to me. Do Americans understand it. Or maybe they are just a bit dense like me.

Anyway, the US seems to be in a pickle now for many reasons. Not least of which is the uncouth Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    I wonder does he really have it they say he might be out Monday
    He got it Wednesday

It takes 15-30 days to go sometimes 60

If he leaves hospital after 6 days it's all fake

That's not correct though.

The one thing certain of Covid19 is its variability in symptoms and outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Overheal wrote: »
    But making the claim that he's been actively complicit actually seems to beg much more specificity. Where was Joe Biden "actively complicit" in the drug prices (1) billionaires not paying taxes (2) and breaking the justice system (3)? And for each response what is the context around the decision, ie. did Joe vote on a spending bill that cut taxes to keep the government open etc.

I'm speaking to a general sense of a major player in the Democratic party being part of a machine that has brought the US to where it is with its massive prison population, militarised police forces, concentration of wealth in fewer and fewer hands, and so on.

An example:

“The truth is,” Mr. Biden had boasted [a year before the 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act] in a speech on the Senate floor, “every major crime bill since 1976 that’s come out of this Congress, every minor crime bill, has had the name of the Democratic senator from the State of Delaware: Joe Biden.”

nytimes.com

I'm sure, if I could be bothered, I could put together a pretty convincing argument that the Joe Biden has done little to 'drain the swamp', as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

froog wrote: »
    i'd say he could well be back in the whitehouse tommorow, just for appearances but basically being in the same medical situation. i'm sure they can set up whatever they need in the whitehouse. I'll be honest i was surprised the white house didn't have a tricked out medical centre in the first place.
    the doctors have other patients at walter reed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have read and read about it but it is just a mystery to me. Do Americans understand it. Or maybe they are just a bit dense like me.

Anyway, the US seems to be in a pickle now for many reasons. Not least of which is the uncouth Trump.

The public vote for which ever candidate on a state by state basis. So say california people voted marginally for trump by even a 1 vote majority. That state is then fully lost to the other candidate. Each state has a certain number of electoral college votes and whoever wins the public vote (by even 1 vote) gets all the electoral college votes for that state. Electoral college votes are what elect the president.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I wonder does he really have it they say he might be out Monday
    He got it Wednesday

It takes 15-30 days to go sometimes 60

If he leaves hospital after 6 days it's all fake

When they say he’s “leaving hospital”, he’s not going home to a wife and 2 kids in a three bed semi, and having to self isolate in the spare room that also houses the cross-trainer no one uses and a stack of boxes, while worrying about whether he can get a Tesco delivery slot

The White House has a full medical facility, and a full time team of doctors and nurses - which can be further supplemented by any medical professionals in the entire US, or any medical equipment.

Being discharged from hospital to the White House means little.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you are going to post a link like that please make a genuine attempt to discuss the content. Do not simply make an inaccurate statement that does not reflect the underlying article. It says is he "could leave hospital as early as Monday"

If you don't want to discuss, do not post

mickdw wrote: »
    The public vote for which ever candidate on a state by state basis. So say california people voted marginally for trump by even a 1 vote majority. That state is then fully lost to the other candidate. Each state has a certain number of electoral college votes and whoever wins the public vote (by even 1 vote) gets all the electoral college votes for that state. Electoral college votes are what elect the president.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. But sadly I'm still none the wiser re the Electoral College.

I suppose it is a throwback to something or other, but honestly it is just a mystery. And I am very sure it is the same for US voters too.

Why it is just not majority vote without Electoral College is an ongoing mystery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Each state is assigned a number of Electors. Some have more than others. Together they make up the Electoral College.

The popular vote in each state determines how the Electors in each state vote in the Electoral College. (Electors can go rogue, and vote against the popular vote in their state, but it's very unlikely to happen.)

Once you have received the votes of 270 Electors, you've won the election.

It's how you can be elected without getting the overall popular vote in the country.

It's why the swing states (neither traditionally Republican or Democrat, or an unusually high number of electors based on population) are so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Danzy wrote: »
    That's not correct though.

The one thing certain of Covid19 is its variability in symptoms and outcomes.

True. The recent case of George Floyds death. (And not being dismisive of that brw) highlights that.
    Floyds post mortem revealed that he had several "significant conditions" including heart disease, high blood pressure and intoxication from the powerful opioid fentanyl, as well as recent methamphetamine use. The post mortem also noted that a nasal swab sample collected from Floyd's body came back positive for COVID-19, and that Floyd had also tested positive on April 3, nearly eight weeks before his death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

440Hertz wrote: »
    I wouldn’t hold out an awful lot of hope for the US as a stable democracy in the next 50 years unless it really gets down to modernising and reforming its democracy and curtailing the money in Washington DC. If it doesn’t, I think you’re looking at more chaos and future Trumps gaming the system.

Great! :D

I think Trump has been a breath of fresh air in US politics, and world politics too... he's ripped up the establish order of things, and that has sent many in society into a tailspin. But that's hopefully a good thing in the long run!

So who do you forecast will be the next Donald J Trump in the white house, since you think he's only first of many over the next few decades?

It would be great to think that some more influential people from the business world could enter politics and continue to shake things up, but I'm not quite as confident of that as you. I think Trump is a bit of outlier in many respects, but he could very well leave a big enough mark to alter the landscape after he leaves office and perhaps inspire others to follow his lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,716 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thank you for taking the time to reply. But sadly I'm still none the wiser re the Electoral College.
    I suppose it is a throwback to something or other, but honestly it is just a mystery. And I am very sure it is the same for US voters too.
    Why it is just not majority vote without Electoral College is an ongoing mystery to me.

Unless an electoral college voters goes rogue, it is a simple system it's really just a way of giving candidates an incentive to campaign in smaller states - so they get all the state's votes. Otherwise they would just end up campaigning in the largest states. In comparison each state no matter how small gets 2 senators and the house of representatives is based on population. It is a state-based federal system.
    EU voting by comparison is Byzantine.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

This is bad and shows how craven Trump's circle is.

Kelly Anne Conway infected her daughter . She never warned here she had covid.
    https://twitter.com/SantaBarbara007/status/1312846715515539456?s=19

Cannot understand why the votes of those who can vote are superseded by the Electoral College in some states. Baffled, but barmy lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is bad and shows how craven Trump's circle is.

Kelly Anne Conway infected her daughter . She never warned here she had covid.
    https://twitter.com/SantaBarbara007/status/1312846715515539456?s=19

The daughter sounds delightful. Somehow don't think they saw eye to eye somehow even before this ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minneapolis-police-autopsy-idUSKBN23B1HX

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Those who founded the United States and wrote the Constitution didn’t fully trust democracy. They were afraid that a majority of the electorate could vote in such a way as to elect a President that would be at odds to the ideals of republicanism. So they proposed that the people vote to give instruction to delegates to the Electoral College - but the delegates do not have to follow the people’s instruction. So if the majority of the people voted for some wannabe despot, the idea was the the Delegates to the Electoral College could intervene and vote someone else as President. They saw it as a kind of sanity check on democracy.

There was other reasons too - small states favoured it as it gave them more leverage than the direct vote of their populations would. And Southern states were wary of using the popular vote, as they had big populations, but a smaller electorate (slaves were disenfranchised), so a popular vote would not give them the same clout as states that had the same population but no slaves. The number of EC Delegates is ultimately based on population of the state (not the electorate). It also means that if a particular state has a very low turnout in the election, it doesn’t lose influence- as it will still retain its number of delegates.

A lot of the “advantages” they saw in the system are gone now. There’s universal suffrage, some states require their Delegates to vote as per the popular vote, and even for those that don’t, it’s convention that they do now, and so the EC is basically a formality. But the US is stuck with it as it’s very hard to change the Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1312810008070049800?s=19

https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/1312859038733008897?s=19

Anyone who thinks this guy is getting a sympathy vote from any undecided voters is deluded. Selfish *****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

Minimal Twitter activity. He’s definitely not well!

Wait, he just came out in a car to wave to his fans and has returned to hospital. Couldn’t make this up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1312810008070049800?s=19

https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/1312859038733008897?s=19

Anyone who thinks this guy is getting a sympathy vote from any undecided voters is deluded. Selfish *****
    Will this be the moment Donnie's disciples finally realise he doesn't care about anyone but himself?

Probably not :(

omega man wrote: »
    Wait, he just came out in a car to wave to his fans and has returned to hospital. Couldn’t make this up

Seriously?? Are you making it up?

omega man wrote: »

On sky news now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Advertisement