Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump tests positive for Coronavirus (Mod warning in the op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Penn wrote: »
    Let's not forget Herman Cain was hospitalised early July after testing positive a few days before, felt like he was recovering a few days later, and passed away by the end of that month. He'd have decent access to whatever healthcare he would have needed too.

As I said previously, I hope Trump recovers, because I'd much rather see him recover from Covid, lose the election, and be faced with legal and finanical ramifications for his actions from before and during his presidency.

But given his age, weight, and the pressures/stress of the election which may even be making him force himself to ignore doctors' advice in order to get back out campaigning... he needs to be f*cking careful, and I say that with all sincerity. He needs to be willing to do what his doctors say, because it's his own life that's at risk.

The trouble with Coronavirus is that cross comparisons between individuals are rarely helpful tbf

Cain
    .. was first hospitalized with COVID-19 that this was going to be a rough fight. He had trouble breathing and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. We all prayed that the initial meds they gave him would get his breathing back to normal, but it became clear pretty quickly that he was in for a battle," the statement said.

The statement noted that Cain, who survived a battle with Stage 4 colon cancer, had been “pretty healthy in recent years” but was considered to be in a “high-risk group” for COVID-19 complications due to his history with cancer.

He also spent most of July in an Atlanta-area hospital before dieing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/former-gop-presidential-candidate-herman-cain-dead-coronavirus-n1235312

Not a fan of Trump btw but imo he looks ok for his age and it would appear to take at least some moderate exercise in playing golf. His BMI seems to be borderline according to reliable reports. It was detailed that his medical care will continue at the White House under the supervision of medical staff.

Not at your comment but I reckon there's a hell if a lot of wishful thinking and bs being repeated as fact in this thread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

everlast75 wrote: »
    This whole thread is about Trump mismanaging COVID, preaching others to "open up" their State, he catches it, keeps it quiet, goes to events where others might get it, then when diagnosed, gets the best possible treatment in the world and then encourages others to do what he did (which they can't), over 200,000 dead..... and you bring up Hillary ****ing Clinton and foreign policy???

Possibly the worst attempt at whataboutery I've ever seen.

JFC.

It's all there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's all there isis what it is.

FYP, but yeah, deflection and whataboutery is the defense of the #IMPOTUS for the last 4 years. What accomplishments he might've had with the economy have crumbled. Nothing else positive on his watch. Disaster, basically.

Igotadose wrote: »
    FYP, but yeah, deflection and whataboutery is the defense of the #IMPOTUS for the last 4 years. What accomplishments he might've had with the economy have crumbled. Nothing else positive on his watch. Disaster, basically.

He inherited a comfortable position from the previous administration where that's concerned.

It's telling though, that all the Trumpistas have when trying to shill for him is "But...**insert Democrat here**". Even four years into his term.

When that's the only string in your bow, something is very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It is not biased. He is a ****ing idiot. Taking all quantitative and qualitative facts into account that is the conclusion I have made.

I really pity anyone that cannot see what is staring you them in the face.

You misunderstand.

I'm not saying he doesn't do and say stupid things (he does).

I'm saying you spin everything into a negative.

For example, his medical team say he is well enough to leave hospital and he says he's feeling good, and you spin this into they're all wrong and he's going to get really sick.

I suspect he could cure cancer and you'd find a way to complain about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

He's doubling down

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1313449844413992961

Crazy but it might work unfortunately!

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    He's doubling down

And despite over 200,000 having died from Covid, compared to flu high of 100,000. What he has tweeted isn't wrong technically.

He's doubling down

I know there's a lot of teenagers and people living with their parents here, so they don't really care about the economic collapse from this virus, but Trump is correct in that life needs to get back on track otherwise a lot more people are going to lose their jobs and that is far more dangerous than this virus.

Of course the old and sick should continue to stay at home and take every precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

And despite over 200,000 having died from Covid, compared to flu high of 100,000. What he has tweeted isn't wrong technically.

Unfortunately by Xmas or late Winter predictions are 350-400,000 dead from Covid.

Predictions from CNN.

This paints a different picture but he won't mention the predicted figure.
    100,000 from flu versus 400,000 from Covid looks a lot worse

He's doubling down

In most population far less lethal? WTF is that, victim blaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well except for the fact that it only currently the start of October, when the flu number would cover a full year.

An that going back as far as 2010, the numbers of deaths for Flu are nowhere near 100k. 61k in 2017/18 is the highest

• Registered Users Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I know there's a lot of teenagers and people living with their parents here, so they don't really care about the economic collapse from this virus, but Trump is correct in that life needs to get back on track otherwise a lot more people are going to lose their jobs and that is far more dangerous than this virus.

Of course the old and sick should continue to stay at home and take every precaution.

If only there had some been someone, like a person in charge, sort of like a CEO, a President of similar, that could have actually done something about the clear threat earlier and reduced the impact.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Well except for the fact that it only currently the start of October, when the flu number would cover a full year.

An that going back as far as 2010, the numbers of deaths for Flu are nowhere near 100k. 61k in 2017/18 is the highest

No except. It's still less fatal in some populations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Going by your figure above.

After this Winter Season
    61,000 flu versus 400,000 Covid

Trump's spin on it
    100,000 flu versus 200,000 Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Most experts say that in the first 2 years of an administration any economic ups and downs are the result of the last administration as the new teams policy will not yet have had an impact

You're talking about a country that voted Bush Jr in...twice.

The second time primarily due to a campaign of lies ("Swift Boat" numpties.) But, GWB hadn't cratered the economy as badly as the #IMPOTUS nor had he quite so many deaths on his watch.

If only there had some been someone, like a person in charge, sort of like a CEO, a President of similar, that could have actually done something about the clear threat earlier and reduced the impact.

I do find it astonishing that almost every western country is continuing their same stupid policy over and over. Instead they should be learning from Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Where is the over 100,000 coming from?

(I just find it hard to believe a word out of his mouth sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You can check peoples' join dates but I think that that dig of yours may be a little silly. This "more dangerous than the virus" idea is easily debunked when you think for just a moment about the consequences on human behaviour of an uncontrolled and potentially fatal virus running around unchecked. The restrictions are a way for the economy to continue functioning and not something being sacrificed to save lives.

• Advertisement

Where is the over 100,000 coming from?

(I just find it hard to believe a word out of his mouth sorry!)

If you go back far enough (decades) you'll find it. Spanish flu caused over 600,000 US deaths, so technically he's not wrong. He needs to be called out on his stats though.

You can check peoples' join dates but I think that that dig of yours may be a little silly. This "more dangerous than the virus" idea is easily debunked when you think for just a moment about the consequences on human behaviour of an uncontrolled and potentially fatal virus running around unchecked. The restrictions are a way for the economy to continue functioning and not something being sacrificed to save lives.

When you think through what you've said for two seconds it falls apart as we know these restrictions aren't necessary. Look at Japan and Hong Kong. Almost no restrictions, very few deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I do find it astonishing that almost every western country is continuing their same stupid policy over and over. Instead they should be learning from Asia.

Go on then - tell us about this great wisdom from Asia. The only thing really been asked of us recently has been to wear a mask and keep a bit of distance. Has that happened in "Asia" vs what happens here.. where suddenly 25% of the population have chronic anxiety or asthma and don't think the rules apply..

If you must generalise about Asia, a region that has had several outbreaks of contagious viruses over the years - is that they know what to do when something like this comes and generally toe the line.

Your throw away one line comment is not particularly useful, doesn't really offer grounds for comparison and is at best disingenuous.

But I suspect you know this and are just looking for some argument for the sake of it :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The second time primarily due to a campaign of lies ("Swift Boat" numpties.) But, GWB hadn't cratered the economy as badly as the #IMPOTUS nor had he quite so many deaths on his watch.

Well deaths of Americans at least. About the closest I will ever get to giving Trump a compliment is to say that he wasnt as bad as Bush in terms of military engagements

km991148 wrote: »
    Go on then - tell us about this great wisdom from Asia. The only thing really been asked of us recently has been to wear a mask and keep a bit of distance. Has that happened in "Asia" vs what happens here.. where suddenly 25% of the population have chronic anxiety or asthma and don't think the rules apply..

If you must generalise about Asia, a region that has had several outbreaks of contagious viruses over the years - is that they know what to do when something like this comes and generally toe the line.

Your throw away one line comment is not particularly useful, doesn't really offer grounds for comparison and is at best disingenuous.

But I suspect you know this and are just looking for some argument for the sake of it :-D

I live in Japan and travel around Asia for work.

Take Hong Kong as an example. Large number of old people, large number of obese people.

From near the beginning wearing a mask was a legal requirement, there was a massive amount of contact tracing (tracing everyone who was around an infected person during their illness), strict quarantining, and common sense social distancing so life could continue almost as normal.

7.5 million people living on top of each other. 105 deaths in total. On a bad day double digit (less than 15) new cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,795 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Of course it does. No one is arguing that it shouldn't.

It is how he, as leader of the Country, is dealing with the crisis.

How do you think things would be if he told people from the beginning to

1) wear a mask
    2) practise social distancing
    3) practise good hygiene

Imagine if he did simply the above, nothing more. There would have been bi-partisan instructions to minimise risk of infection.

Such an easy thing to do, and yet he ****ed it up!

Instead, he and his spokespeople made it a political issue, spewed misinformation, endangered lives and punished those that spoke up.

He is utterly out of his depth, tragically ill equipped mentally to deal with the situation. Hopefully he will be voted out before there is much more damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Take Hong Kong as an example. Large number of old people, large number of obese people.

From near the beginning wearing a mask was a legal requirement, there was a massive amount of contact tracing (tracing everyone who was around an infected person during their illness), strict quarantining, and common sense social distancing so life could continue almost as normal.

7.5 million people living on top of each other. 105 deaths in total. On a bad day double digit (less than 15) new cases.

I agree that mask wearing and some basic things like quarantining visitors and mass testing would allow the economy to continue functioning. This is why I think that Trump discouraging masks and testing makes him stupid. The reason that Asian countries are able to go about their business is because they are doing things that Trump actively discourages.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Of course it does. No one is arguing that it shouldn't.

It is how he, as leader of the Country, is dealing with the crisis.

How do you think things would be if he told people from the beginning to

1) wear a mask
    2) practise social distancing
    3) practise good hygiene

Imagine if he did simply the above, nothing more. There would have been bi-partisan instructions to minimise risk of infection.

Such an easy thing to do, and yet he ****ed it up!

Instead, he and his spokespeople made it a political issue, spewed misinformation, endangered lives and punished those that spoke up.

He is utterly out of his depth, tragically ill equipped mentally to deal with the situation. Hopefully he will be voted out before there is much more damage done.

Don't disagree.

The only thing I'd add is the democrats also turned it into a political thing.

Remember when he banned visitors from China? "He's a racist!!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again.'"

• Advertisement

When you think through what you've said for two seconds it falls apart as we know these restrictions aren't necessary. Look at Japan and Hong Kong. Almost no restrictions, very few deaths.

So you know that they wear masks even when someone has a slight cold.

Advertisement