Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump tests positive for Coronavirus (Mod warning in the op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,795 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Don't disagree.

The only thing I'd add is the democrats also turned it into a political thing.

Science says wear a mask. Democrats do that. Republicans don't.

Compliance with science is not "making it a political thing".
    Remember when he banned visitors from China? "He's a racist!!"

1) He is racist. That's not even debatable at this point.
    2) The ban was a dog whistle to racists. People know this because he followed it up by calling it the China virus, despite the fact that the asian community were being targeted by ignorant bullies. The virus was in the Country. The virus was coming from different parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

gozunda wrote: »
    I reckon there's a hell if a lot of wishful thinking and bs being repeated as fact in this thread tbh.

You mean labelling driving around in a golf cart as moderate exercise ?.... I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

From near the beginning wearing a mask was a legal requirement, there was a massive amount of contact tracing (tracing everyone who was around an infected person during their illness), strict quarantining, and common sense social distancing so life could continue almost as normal.

Exactly - this and only this all day long - they know what to do - the shutdowns were only supposed to be temporary - you would think that was enough to force people to cop on - not a chance - too selfish over here. Bring politics into if you like (as all political sides at least want to be *seen* to do the right thing), but really a lot of people just were too lazy/stupid/selfish for containment strategies to work.

Now we add Trump on top of it who brings his own narcissistic win-at-all-costs (to the point where he will advise people to do the wrong thing to boost his own popularity) and its an utter mess.

When Trump tweets - he is not speaking to a nation in a region where people know what to do to minimise the spread of a potentially deadly virus. Most western countries have no one alive who can remember such outbreaks.

So yes - there has to be balance with regards to not completely tanking the economy, but Trumps approach is not aimed at that - he wants the economy to do well as its a status symbol for him- i.e. as usual he doesn't actually care about anyone else. Otherwise he would find a way to get the economy working and keep people safe (like the Asian countries you speak of). And that doesn't happen by encouraging people not to mask up and diminishing the threat as nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

everlast75 wrote: »
    1) He is racist. That's not even debatable at this point.
    2) The ban was a dog whistle to racists. People know this because he followed it up by calling it the China virus, despite the fact that the asian community were being targeted by ignorant bullies. The virus was in the Country. The virus was coming from different parts of the world.

Jesus Christ. TDS on full display.

When he tries to reduce the rate of the virus coming to the country by banning visitors from China (which every country ended up doing btw, and China still has banned all foreigners from coming to China), it's a dog whistle to racists?

And I'm sorry to say it is very much debatable that he's a racist. He's obviously not. He a brutish clown, but he's not a racist. There's no evidence he's a racist. I fully understand you think being a brutish clown means he's a racist, but that's because of TDS.

km991148 wrote: »
    Exactly - this and only this all day long - they know what to do - the shutdowns were only supposed to be temporary - you would think that was enough to force people to cop on - not a chance - too selfish over here. Bring politics into if you like (as all political sides at least want to be *seen* to do the right thing), but really a lot of people just were too lazy/stupid/selfish for containment strategies to work.

Now we add Trump on top of it who brings his own narcissistic win-at-all-costs (to the point where he will advise people to do the wrong thing to boost his own popularity) and its an utter mess.

When Trump tweets - he is not speaking to a nation in a region where people know what to do to minimise the spread of a potentially deadly virus. Most western countries have no one alive who can remember such outbreaks.

So yes - there has to be balance with regards to not completely tanking the economy, but Trumps approach is not aimed at that - he wants the economy to do well as its a status symbol for him- i.e. as usual he doesn't actually care about anyone else. Otherwise he would find a way to get the economy working and keep people safe (like the Asian countries you speak of). And that doesn't happen by encouraging people not to mask up and diminishing the threat as nonsense.

At least you now admit there is a better system than the one Ireland is doing, and it comes from Asia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Deshawn wrote: »
    "There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again.'"

My favourite is
    "They misunderestimated me"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump could be proof that those new treatments he was put on did indeed work, and work fast. That would be amazing, need to get them approved and available asap if that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 19,795 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Jesus Christ. TDS on full display.

When he tries to reduce the rate of the virus coming to the country by banning visitors from China (which every country ended up doing btw, and China still has banned all foreigners from coming to China), it's a dog whistle to racists?

And I'm sorry to say it is very much debatable that he's a racist. He's obviously not. He a brutish clown, but he's not a racist. There's no evidence he's a racist. I fully understand you think being a brutish clown means he's a racist, but that's because of TDS.

I'm out.

everlast75 wrote: »
    I'm out.

I know. When you have to think through your opinions for two seconds, they fall apart. But you'll still continue believing he's a racist because you aren't an independent thinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Trump could be proof that those new treatments he was put on did indeed work, and work fast. That would be amazing, need to get them approved and available asap if that's the case
    That would be a great outcome but is there even a hope of the rest of us getting anything similar if this thing runs rampant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That would be a great outcome but is there even a hope of the rest of us getting anything similar if this thing runs rampant.

Yes, whole point is to have it available for billions of people, that is where the money is. Not just providing it for one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I know. When you have to think through your opinions for two seconds, they fall apart. But you'll still continue believing he's a racist because you aren't an independent thinker.
    Loads of evidence of him being a racist has been posted on here on multiple occassions on multiple threads

Only someone who isn't an independent thinker would think he wasn't a racist

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Loads of evidence of him being a racist has been posted on here on multiple occassions on multiple threads

Only someone who isn't an independent thinker would think otherwise

Nope. The evidence was either edited clips (e.g. "good people on both sides") or things which aren't racism.

Now, if you want to argue that he has said a lot of stupid, ignorant, and rude things, then I agree with you.

This new concept of pretending everything is racism has to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Yes! ... well maybe give it ten more days :)

Nope. The evidence was either edited clips (e.g. "good people on both sides") or things which aren't racism.

Now, if you want to argue that he has said a lot of stupid, ignorant, and rude things, then I agree with you.

I think saying TDS has to stop too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I don't really think he is personally racist, but he has absolutely no problem using racists to get what he wants.
    Hell he would use anyone if he thought it would benefit him.
    He is actually seeing white supremacists as his own personal army at this stage.

By all accounts he definitely does not like poor people.

They are beneath him, they are unsuccessful and failures to him.
    And a lot of poor people in US would be black, hispanic, immigrants and he sees them with distain.
    That together with his pandering to the far right wingers for support definitely makes him come across as racist.
    But if he was the real racist everyone positions him as, there would be no way in hell he would have a Jewish son-in-law.

But he is odious in other ways, he sees POWs as failures.
    He can't see how heroic the likes of John McCain was because he is the antithesis of Trump.
    He did something for the greater good and not purely for personal gain.

He doesn't care about anyone, but himself.
    I am not a psychologist or shrink, but to me he looks like a grade A narcissist with sociopathic tendencies thrown in.
    He doesn't give two sh**s about anyone else and is quite happy to walk all over anyone to get what he wants.

I am not allowed discuss …

At least you now admit there is a better system than the one Ireland is doing, and it comes from Asia.

What *are* you on about?

When did I say otherwise? Or are you one of these people that like to group everyone together in the same camp because they dare to criticise Trump??

UK and Ireland have totally fukced up. A combination of policy and stubbornness of people not willing to take sensible precautions- but that's nothing to do with Trump and his extra layer of bs.

Of course Asian countries know what to do, they've been down this road a few times..

jmayo wrote: »
    I don't really think he is personally racist, but he has absolutely no problem using racists to get what he wants.
    Hell he would use anyone if he thought it would benefit him.
    He is actually seeing white supremacists as his own personal army at this stage.

By all accounts he definitely does not like poor people.

They are beneath him, they are unsuccessful and failures to him.
    And a lot of poor people in US would be black, hispanic, immigrants and he sees them with distain.
    That together with his pandering to the far right wingers for support definitely makes him come across as racist.
    But if he was the real racist everyone positions him as, there would be no way in hell he would have a Jewish son-in-law.

But he is odious in other ways, he sees POWs as failures.
    He can't see how heroic the likes of John McCain was because he is the antithesis of Trump.
    He did something for the greater good and not purely for personal gain.

I am not a psychologist or shrink, but to me he looks like a grade A narcissist with sociopathic tendencies thrown in.
    He doesn't give two sh**s about anyone else and is quite happy to walk all over anyone to get what he wants.

He probably isn't racist, not the same way as others are at least, because even being racist requires thinking about the possibility of other people... He really isn't capable. It's probably more akin to asking someone paralised from the waist down to get up out their wheelchair and walk across the room..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I never wished for Trump to be seriously ill from this virus but this is a dangerous outcome now.
    I know people here are intelligent enough to understand that even a 5% fatality rate, with a highly infectious disease, in over 70s would be very high and a national emergency.
    That still means that if you take a single random patient they are far more likely to make a full recovery than not.
    That is the problem here. Some people, Trump included, start extrapolating from a sample size of one and reach the conclusion coroanavirus is harmless.

It is quite frankly idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

nthclare wrote: »
    Whether I like someone or not, no way would I wish them death.
    That's what mob mentality is like and thinking like that is very medieval and a horiffic way to be thinking.

What a scummy way to be, if someone in my circle were at that I'd be reviewing my friendship.

It's obvious people don't like him, but it's not his fault that people are dying.

He downplayed Covid 19 from the start.
    He pushed back against sustained lockdowns.
    He undermined the message coming from medical experts.
    He held in person rallies in the midst of a pandemic.
    He made fun of someone wearing a mask all the time.
    He left hospital to occupy a vehicle with SS personnel for a drive by of supporters.
    He told people not to let the virus dominate their life.
    He removed his mask and walked amongst White House personnel knowing that he had the virus.

If you don't think that someone doing the above while in a position as influential as the President of the United States is does not hold some responsibility for the impact the virus has had on people, up to and including their deaths, then you probably won't change your mind now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What do you think Fauci, or other medical experts would say on this?

I would think that they would say that a sample size of 1 in a non controlled study or environment is no basis by which to direct effort and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I'm not talking about edited clips.

He was prosecuted by the Nixon Administration for housing discrimination against African Americans

The birther thing (not sure how you missed that, it basically got him his start in politics). Maybe you'll claim it was just a coincidence that the only president to have their birthplace questioned was the black man with the funny name

Telling non white American senators to go back to their own country

That's 3 off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more though.

jmayo wrote: »
    I

Exactly. Hard to diagnose, but I would say multiple cases for various serious personality disorders with narcissism featuring heavily.

There really needs to be more education on this stuff..

I'm not talking about edited clips.

He was prosecuted by the Nixon Administration for housing discrimination against African Americans

The birther thing (not sure how you missed that, it basically got him his start in politics). Maybe you'll claim it was just a coincidence that the only president to have their birthplace questioned was the black man with the funny name

That's 3 off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more though.
    And the problem with quoting Trump is.. often both sides are right as he will say X on one day and the opposite of X the next day. You cannot trust a single thing he says and when he does change his mind (because his original opinion doesn't poll well or has been disproven or whatever) then it's a sea of deflection and excuses.

Try it, pick a topic or quote and pretty soon you will find something that he has said that directly contradicts it.

What *are* you on about?

When did I say otherwise?
    Go on then - tell us about this great wisdom from Asia.

Your throw away one line comment is not particularly useful, doesn't really offer grounds for comparison and is at best disingenuous.

But I suspect you know this and are just looking for some argument for the sake of it

I hope this isn't how you talk to people in the real world.

That business was run by his father.

Maybe his father was a racist. I don't know.

I'm not going to blame you for the sins of your father.

Claiming someone was born in another country isn't racism.

Do you even understand what racism is? Seems you don't.

A highly ignorant comment by him, but he claims he meant to direct it at Ilhan Omar who is a refugee who was saved by the US, handed everything, and now spends her time talking about how crap the place is.

Again, he's ignorant, a brute, a clown, but he's not a racist.

I hope this isn't how you talk to people in the real world.

Sorry da

(Nice deflection btw, I thought there was about to be some conversation to be had. Wrong place I Guess)

True*, but I meant finding quotes that seem to support the alternative narrative.

He is 100 percent a racist, but he doesn't really mean it because he doesn't care. It's kinda worse really because it just fans the flames for other racist to go in to do more sh!tty racist things.

*I think someone deleted a post- I was replying to someone that said he is still a racist even if you say both racist and non racist things

T

Claiming someone was born in another country isn't racism.

Do you even understand what racism is? Seems you don't.

Come on your so close. Why did he claim it?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is about Trump getting Covid-19

There are other threads where you can discuss his politics, the election and indeed how he got to where he is

Advertisement