Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump tests positive for Coronavirus (Mod warning in the op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1315414353105960960

Video was manipulated you lying jumbotron

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭maebee

220,000 of your population dead = a “phenomenal” job. Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

maebee wrote: »
    220,000 of your population dead = a “phenomenal” job. Mental.

He just needs to keep repeating it for some to believe, how many times on a DT thread has somebody said the numbers are similar to other countries? Other countries that are doing terrible too. They want to believe so will and no rational explanation will change their minds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

These tweets show that Trump took Faucis words and used them out of context and that wasn't a wise thing to do.

https://twitter.com/thebadseed2/status/1315350307686227969?s=19

https://twitter.com/MarshallCohen/status/1315415827844419589?s=19

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1315358285550284801?s=19

Dr Fauci also said this
    https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/us-news/trump-news/2020/10/12/anthony-fauci-trump-ad/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
    In my nearly five decades of public service, I have never publicly endorsed any political candidate,” Dr Fauci said in a statement on Sunday (US time). “The comments attributed to me without my permission in the GOP campaign ad were taken out of context from a broad statement I made months ago about the efforts of federal public health officials.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

In my nearly five decades of public service, I have never publicly endorsed any political candidate,” Dr Fauci said in a statement on Sunday (US time). “The comments attributed to me without my permission in the GOP campaign ad were taken out of context from a broad statement I made months ago about the efforts of federal public health officials.”

Doesn't really matter tho - The people that need to see it have already done so. The places that they consume media won't highlight this story much. The positivity gained from associating with Fauci is done.

Its not like Fauci (or anyone else) is going to run a highly targeted facebook (etc) campaign to spread the word that this was his name/quote taken out of context. In fact it wouldn't even be possible to target the same people as only the GOP know who they targeted.

Edit - this is going off trump for Trump/COVID thread - but the way these systems work, your average guy on the street doesn't have a clue. That not the usual "Those against Trump calling Trump supporters idiots" - that's me as someone with just a very basic awareness of data science/ mass targeting - concepts that I don't think many really understand, but fall into the traps of being manipulated by them.

• Advertisement

km991148 wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter tho - The people that need to see it have already done so. The places that they consume media won't highlight this story much. The positivity gained from associating with Fauci is done.

Its not like Fauci (or anyone else) is going to run a highly targeted facebook (etc) campaign to spread the word that this was his name/quote taken out of context. In fact it wouldn't even be possible to target the same people as only the GOP know who they targeted.

Edit - this is going off trump for Trump/COVID thread - but the way these systems work, your average guy on the street doesn't have a clue. That not the usual "Those against Trump calling Trump supporters idiots" - that's me as someone with just a very basic awareness of data science/ mass targeting - concepts that I don't think many really understand, but fall into the traps of being manipulated by them.

Good point

So Trump's team weighed up the damage that using Faucis words would cause and calculated that it will work on the people they are targeting and that's all that counts.

They know they don't have the support of the people who will complain anyway and the people they are targeting won't see the criticism so go right ahead and brazenly do it

They know they don't have the support of the people who will complain anyway and the people they are targeting won't see the criticism so go right ahead and brazenly do it

Exactly.

Same with the whole bs following his COVID diagnosis. Its how the whole campaign worked so far.

And while everyone is arguing the toss out of whatever wacky sh!t is in the news that day, this point is continually overlooked (The exact targeting of online ads etc) because no one really understands it.

The only slight issue with this strategy - there were far many undecided ones before, not so many now, so it really is just re-enforcing the beliefs of the ones that already support him (although that will have consequences if he does loose as there will be bs legal battles, riots
    etc for weeks after the counts becasue everyone has been whipped up to frenzy status).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Good point

So Trump's team weighed up the damage that using Faucis words would cause and calculated that it will work on the people they are targeting and that's all that counts.

I think you are giving them far too much credit.

I doubt anyone weighed up anything. Trump needs to lift his disapproval ratings for COVID, people trust Fauci, stick Fauci in the ad.

That was it, I reckon. It doesn't matter if its true or not, what the context is, just do it.

They are in full panic mode. There is a good opinion piece on Politico about the ack of expertise at the very heart of the WH, and how this leads to small but continuous errors, which tell the truth of how loose the whole administration is https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/11/amateur-hour-trump-white-house-428533

They have little game plan, everyday is simply a rehash of the day before. There doesn't seem to be a roadmap in terms or communication strategy.

Exactly.

Same with the whole bs following his COVID diagnosis. Its how the whole campaign worked so far.

And while everyone is arguing the toss out of whatever wacky sh!t is in the news that day, this point is continually overlooked (The exact targeting of online ads etc) because no one really understands it.

The only slight issue with this strategy - there were far many undecided ones before, not so many now, so it really is just re-enforcing the beliefs of the ones that already support him (although that will have consequences if he does loose as there will be bs legal battles, riots
    etc for weeks after the counts becasue everyone has been whipped up to frenzy status).

Does Miller drive this?

Leroy42 wrote: »

I doubt anyone weighed up anything. Trump needs to lift his disapproval ratings for COVID, people trust Fauci, stick Fauci in the ad.

That was it, I reckon. It doesn't matter if its true or not, what the context is, just do it.

They are in full panic mode. There is a good opinion piece on Politico about the ack of expertise at the very heart of the WH, and how this leads to small but continuous errors, which tell the truth of how loose the whole administration is https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/11/amateur-hour-trump-white-house-428533

They have little game plan, everyday is simply a rehash of the day before. There doesn't seem to be a roadmap in terms or communication strategy.

They wouldn't have needed to weigh up anything this time as this is what happens all the time. The spend millions on very targeted advertising. Right down to very specific demographics.

• Advertisement

Does Miller drive this?

I would assume he shapes their spending policy on ads etc, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

And even if they did see Fauci's latest update on a TV / paper somewhere they've probably been told that said TV / paper is fake news anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

Leroy42 wrote: »

The Trump mantra has always been keeping pushing good news stories about him or damaging remarks about rivals. It doesn't matter how untruthful or damaging. Once its out there its not going back in the box and months later you hear people parroting his exact words from a tweet or press conference. It even happens amoungst the paddies that for some reason "support" him on here. He sets a narrative and everyone runs around for months trying to disprove it. Meanwhile he has 50 other falsehoods thrown out into the ether. Hes top of everyones newsfeed everyday. Its the oxygen he needs and craves, so yes its his "strategy", he's been the same since he first came to prominence back in the late 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

threeball wrote: »
    The Trump mantra has always been keeping pushing good news stories about him or damaging remarks about rivals.

This is Republican politics in a nutshell these days. It's a constant barrage of insult and nonsense about the other side. It's an extremely rare thing to actually hear anything from a Rep. politicians mouth (especially Trump) that isn't something denigrating.

The Dems do it too, let's not pretend that they don't. But the Republicans have it at the top of their bag in any and all situations. But the Dems are in a situation where they have to offer at least some information on what they're proposing to do for people if they get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

everlast75 wrote: »
    Nonsense! He cleared things right up... ish

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1314726995863900160?s=19

He is so "intelligent".
    The world was lucky that he was born.

Jesus his Doctor is an asshole. He hasnt got it in him to specify what days he was tested on.

Although he's probably under orders

Some Doctor all the same

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1315774000275034113?s=19

In response to your inquiry regarding the President's most recent COVID-19 tests, I can share with you that he has tested NEGATIVE, on consecutive days, using the Abbott BinaxNOW antigen card," Conley wrote, noting that those tests were taken "in context with additional clinical and laboratory data."

That additional data, Conley said, included "viral load, subgenomic RNA and PCR cycle threshold measurements, as well as ongoing assessment of viral culture data."

PCR suggests a polymerase chain reaction test, which looks for any evidence of the virus, although Conley did not say clearly what type of test was run.

It is also unclear on which consecutive days Trump tested negative -- and the Abbott BinaxNOW test might not be completely accurate. It's only been validated in people within the first seven days of symptom onset. Trump, who first announced he tested positive on Thursday, October 1, is more than 10 days out, and the US Food and Drug Administration has said it does not know how accurate the test is at that point.

Plus

I'd say Fauci and Trumps relationship is definitely over. Fauci wants him to take down the Ad and warns him off posting the 2nd one.
    https://twitter.com/DanRather/status/1315772420058312704?s=19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

It's so morbid to watch them over there now that it actually bores me.

Trump showed total disregard for peoples safety at the rally last night.

Senator Mike Lee did the same a Barrrets swearing in. He wore a mask initially but then removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I find it a little strange that Trump's doctor has the letters D.O. after his name.
    That means that he is a Doctor of Osteopathy and not a Doctor of Medicine.
    ( In the USA D.O.s claim to be able to treat all medical conditions that Doctors of Medicine do).
    (Perhaps an Osteopath is needed to straighten Trump out ?)

I find it a little strange that Trump's doctor has the letters D.O. after his name.
    That means that he is a Doctor of Osteopathy and not a Doctor of Medicine.
    ( In the USA D.O.s claim to be able to treat all medical conditions that Doctors of Medicine do).
    (Perhaps an Osteopath is needed to straighten Trump out ?)
    So I did actually Google this, apparently they do a complete medical degree so you could be a top notch doctor effectively and also be trained in pseudo science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Unlucky 13! Wife of Trump's labor secretary becomes the latest person to test positive for COVID-19 after attending super-spreader White House Rose Garden event

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trump showed total disregard for peoples safety at the rally last night.

Senator Mike Lee did the same a Barrrets swearing in. He wore a mask initially but then removed it.

Another rally last night in Pennsylvania. Same sh!t, different flies.

BREAKING: BARRON TRUMP had coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

BREAKING: BARRON TRUMP had coronavirus.

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As I read the article - he tested positive and have since tested negative.
    Good for him that kids generally don't seem to get it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭maebee

biko wrote: »
    As I read the article - he tested positive and have since tested negative.
    Good for him that kids generally don't seem to get it bad.

Orange kids are in a different category:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Being mean to children isn't cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I'm glad they didn't mention it earlier, the child has enough problems without being made a laughing stock - children are off limits IMO

Advertisement