Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland

Options
  • 02-10-2020 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys! We are moving to Dublin in a few weeks and wanted to ask if we travel through the UK what are the restrictions and do we need to have anything specific ready (paperwork etc other than usual passport) for borders etc. Also what is the definition of restricted movements there, is this stay indoors for two weeks solid there or are you allowed to go to shops for essentials etc? We could do that but would need to stock the car with food before leaving and space is tight so any help would be great!! Also is it easy to get home delivery slots there for food or do you have to book weeks in advance (we have to here). I also need to visit a bank in the city centre am I allowed within the first 2 weeks? I presume no but not totally sure.

Thank you!!

Comments

You might not get much info here about the UK since most people aren't travelling at the moment.

For travel advice and restrictions once you get here, here's the website: https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/75d92-covid-19-travel-advice/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e885b2-covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice/

For shopping, I don't get home delivery since COVID because other people need it more now, but from previous experience it differs depending on your location. Tesco and Supervalu would be two of the main large supermarkets with delivery. Pop your address into their sites and try to book a slot - it's the best way to know what to expect. You could even book a slot now in advance to make sure you can get the delivery once you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's no problem getting Tesco delivery slots in my part of Dublin. If you already have your address then you can order online from wherever you are and have it delivered on the day you arrive. I used to do that when we would travel and it was great.

You shouldn't go into a bank while self quarantining. You may be able to do a lot of what is needed over the phone and leave the in person stuff as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MJane wrote: »
    if we travel through the UK what are the restrictions and do we need to have anything specific ready (paperwork etc
    It probably makes sense to travel through as few countries as possible. There are various ferries from France to Ireland (I don't think there are car ferries to Ireland from anywhere other than the UK or France).

Where are you coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Victor wrote: »
    It probably makes sense to travel through as few countries as possible. There are various ferries from France to Ireland (I don't think there are car ferries to Ireland from anywhere other than the UK or France).Bilbao,Spain to Rosslare,twice weekly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 MJane

Where are you coming from?

From the Isle of Man

Advertisement