Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best ways we can deal with Antisocial Behaviour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

tastyt wrote: »
    Build more prisons

Don’t have scrotes with 50 convictions roaming the streets

Stop the bleeding heart / let’s help these poor unfortunates approach and get tough on crime and anti social behaviour

If they have no fear or respect for the guards or the law do you honestly think they will have any respect for the rest of us ?

This, enable the law to be a deterrent. In other words, have available prison places for those who commit crimes so that suspended sentences aren’t handed out like sweeties to hardened criminals, repeat offenders and those committing violent crimes.

I disagree about penalizing parents re: dole cuts, if a young person of 19, robs a car and wrecks it, and you hit the parents in the pocket, the parents have a 16 year old and a 13 year old also, you are hitting those kids too, they need a holiday, clothes, food, school books, entertainment, essentials....

It’s crap if a parent fails, but you are putting the opportunity for them to fail their other kids by taking away resources with which to help and parent.

Then again maybe the parents did a great job and the kid, well, fûcked up ! All on him / her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Force is the only thing some of them understand. Corporal punishment for crimes would immediately stop a lot of anti social behaviour.

They don't fear the state or the application of the law. Imagine if you were whipped for 3 criminal offences or the death penalty for drug dealing.

But at the very least, curfews and GPS trackers on anti social offenders during any probation or suspended sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

We have many uninhabited offshore islands that were previously inhabited. Drop them off with some simple tools, seed potatoes, a tent, and a crate(100kg) of tinned food and tell them the boat will be back in 5 years for 1 hour only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We have many uninhabited offshore islands that were previously inhabited. Drop them off with some simple tools, seed potatoes, a tent, and a crate(100kg) of tinned food and tell them the boat will be back in 5 years for 1 hour only.

Interesting movie, should do well at the box office

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Interesting movie, should do well at the box office

Its a really old style punishment.

Its a really old style punishment.

No offence, but it sounds kinna stupid, but maybe a good movie plot

No offence, but it sounds kinna stupid, but maybe a good movie plot

What is stupid? Scumbags get to avoid a prison cell. We get to avoid scumbags. And if the scumbag survives playing Robinson Crusoe, the recidivism rate will be low. And the scumbag may luck out and be sent to Circe's island.

What is stupid? Scumbags get to avoid a prison cell. We get to avoid scumbags. And if the scumbag survives playing Robinson Crusoe, the recidivism rate will be low

It isn't a way of truly dealing with complex and dysfunctional human behaviour, it's just a dream, a fantasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Car buyer.

Didn't new York already show the way on this with zero-tolerance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Put them in cage suspended over the Liffey and lower it twice a day for them to wash and drink some river water.

bigroad wrote:
    Put them in cage suspended over the Liffey and lower it twice a day for them to wash and drink some river water.

Could be intigrated into the movie, good idea

It isn't a way of truly dealing with complex and dysfunctional human behaviour, it's just a dream, a fantasy

The answer to a complex problem doesnt have to be complex. The simple solutions are often the best. Choose, scumbag on an island for 5 years or scumbag over 5 years with multiple crimes and suspended sentences with lawyers, probation officers, social workers, kids dragged up? Are you a solicitor or a quango employee?

The answer to a complex problem doesnt have to be complex. The simple solutions are often the best. Choose, scumbag on an island for 5 years or scumbag over 5 years with multiple crimes and suspended sentences with lawyers, probation officers, social workers, kids dragged up? Are you a solicitor or a quango employee?

Again, more fantasy.... no, both professions are a critical need in society

bigroad wrote: »

Love it. And they can eat the rotten fruit thrown at them. Would be very suitable for short sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Just don't use the Skellig Islands are they could learn the ways of the force.

• Advertisement

Love it. And they can eat the rotten fruit thrown at them. Would be very suitable for short sentences.

This movie really is shaping up, how can we get funding?

Again, more fantasy.... no, both professions are a critical need in society

And high trust low crime societies have much fewer of those professions than we do. Japans prison are very strict.

Just don't use the Skellig Islands are they could learn the ways of the force.

Or they could beat eachother with the rocks. Survival dilemma, shelter or weapon?

Could be intigrated into the movie, good idea

Oh yea and no food so that in time they will eat each other.
    Last man left will die from the drinking the Liffey water anyway.

And high trust low crime societies have much fewer of those professions than we do. Japans prison are very strict.

Has it reduced crime? You really don't want to abolish those professions, how do you feel about organisations such as health and safety authorities?

• Advertisement

Oh yea and no food so that in time they will eat each other.
    Last man left will die from the drinking the Liffey water anyway.

I'M sure somebody will throw plastic bottles of drinking water at them.

Has it reduced crime? You really don't want to abolish those professions, how do you feel about organisations such as health and safety authorities?

Not abolish them. If the criminal class keep expanding the country will be divided into two camps-criminals and probation officers. And yes the japan style justice system does keep crinme in check.

If anyone is caught giving them food or water ,the will be put in the cage also.

Wanderer is right. There is a great movie here. A woke version of Death Wish without the killing

If anyone is caught giving them food or water ,the will be put in the cage also.

Unless it is rotten fruit being thrown, medieval stocks style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have recently just learnt a trick to repell some unwanted characters.

I have recently just learnt a trick to repell some unwanted characters.

what character repellent are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No more free money, free gaffs, benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Administer a few kicks up the hole.

No more free money, free gaffs, benefits.

money only truly becomes free when the debts its based on are defaulted upon or forgiven, which doesnt happen all that much, very few if any citizens receive free homes, the real description is 'heavily subsided', what if you cannot afford to provide yourself with your most critical of needs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We need a modern day version of Lugs Branigan and his sidekick Forty Coats

The hardshaws gurriers and corner boys didn't know what hit them when these two arrived on the scene

The hardshaws gurriers and corner boys didn't know what hit them when these two arrived on the scene

any relation to zapp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Parents must also take responsibility. You’d have to ask do most parents even make their kids do choirs anymore ?

Lugs Brannigan had the support of society at large during his time. He knew that the politicians, judges and potential jurors had his back. Now if you beat a criminal, the DPP, charities and government funded quangos will go for you. And you most certainly cannot trust a modern jury to look at a scumbag complainant in the witness box and acquit automatically.
    That farmer in Mayo got very lucky with his retrial

Valresnick wrote: »
    Parents must also take responsibility. You’d have to ask do most parents even make their kids do choirs anymore ?

lines are better than choirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

And what about the ones whos parents aren't on Social Welfare?

It would reduce the numbers of them which is a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

I'm guessing a very small minority. So their parents get fined, and if needs be, fines are deducted by Revenue.ie.

Problem is now 100% solved.

You're Welcome.

I'm guessing the lotto numbers this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Stop the parents Social Welfare/Dole/Benefits.

95% of the problem stops overnight.

Kids are kept in line.

That sounds really easy, and I'm sure saying it satisfies your urge to punish th e parents, but what evidence is there for that actually working?

If crime is a social norm in the family then they'll just get their money elsewhere and at the expense of some poor sap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

That sounds really easy, and I'm sure saying it satisfies your urge to punish th e parents, but what evidence is there for that actually working?

If crime is a social norm in the family then they'll just get their money elsewhere and at the expense of some poor sap

It doesn't work, neither does building more prisons. Look at my country as an example. We have more prisons per head of population that any other country in the western world and crime and anti social behaviour continues unabated.

Education and early intervention is the only way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Absolutely, many if not most of the people that engage in criminal activities show signs of complex and dysfunctional behaviour at an early age, early intervention would reduce this behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

In my work I can see the kids who are going to grow up to be the problem teenagers and adults. Its down to parents. Some don't care about how their kids turn out and some do but don't have the mental ability to know how to manage them as they grow. Its usually overwhelmingly the latter. I've yet to meet a parent who doesn't want to see their child have a good education and live a somewhat normal life.

Preventing problems takes massive investment in the early years, we spend a fraction of what other nations do, we have long waiting lists for services and make cut backs to programmes that help these families. Last year I was involved in a workshop in Darndale where the community workers there said the rising number of young people in the area getting into crime can be directly linked to cuts made to services during the 09 recession. Then people wonder why we have issues. But what government has ever put money into something where it will take the best part of a generation to see the impact.

One of the saddest things you'll see sometimes in my job is a child of seven or eight in a challenging family situation. They are a great kid but you know you have a tiny window of time where you can steer them down the right path. Otherwise they go down the path of lack of engagement and once they are there its very hard to bring them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but I definitely think a lot more needs to be invested in apprenticeship training in Ireland. This could maybe catch a lot of the older teens that contribute to this lawlessness. For the younger teens, this is probably not an option yet and as other have mentioned, more needs to be provided for youth services or even just better promotion of the current offerings, just have one central place where people can get an idea of everything ongoing in their area. In addition of all of that, Ireland needs better policing. Just having police walk around on patrol I think would help.

eviltwin wrote:
    In my work I can see the kids who are going to grow up to be the problem teenagers and adults. Its down to parents. Some don't care about how their kids turn out and some do but don't have the mental ability to know how to manage them as they grow. Its usually overwhelmingly the latter. I've yet to meet a parent who doesn't want to see their child have a good education and live a somewhat normal life.

What if the parents own psychological needs have never been met?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What if the parents own psychological needs have never been met?

Well there you have another issue. How can someone parent if they are struggling, where is the help they need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It doesn't work, neither does building more prisons. Look at my country as an example. We have more prisons per head of population that any other country in the western world and crime and anti social behaviour continues unabated.

I think you're spot on. There's a place for punishment in the system but the bulk of it should be about education and aspiration and social mobility. So people know that if they work hard they can better themselves. But that takes a generation as it's the parents who teach children about the world. So its a long term plan. It takes a long time and a lot of neglect to cause the problems and it will take a long time and a lot of attention to solve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

By using Judges who would chuck them in a Iso Cube for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

yer man! wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned already but I definitely think a lot more needs to be invested in apprenticeship training in Ireland. This could maybe catch a lot of the older teens that contribute to this lawlessness. For the younger teens, this is probably not an option yet and as other have mentioned, more needs to be provided for youth services or even just better promotion of the current offerings, just have one central place where people can get an idea of everything ongoing in their area. In addition of all of that, Ireland needs better policing. Just having police walk around on patrol I think would help.

I always feel secondary school isn’t for some people. We know you’ve have to do it but for some it just seems pointless.
    At the moment we have LCA for people after t don’t think this is a good enough element to motivate people to get them through the Junior Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

I think you're spot on. There's a place for punishment in the system but the bulk of it should be about education and aspiration and social mobility. So people know that if they work hard they can better themselves. But that takes a generation as it's the parents who teach children about the world. So its a long term plan. It takes a long time and a lot of neglect to cause the problems and it will take a long time and a lot of attention to solve them.

Agree but we also need accountability in this social utopia you speak of. I can educate my children but if I let them away with blue murder does that not undo all the good work I’ve just done ? Lots of these scrotes are smart enough but they take advantage of a very very weak judicial system.

eviltwin wrote:
    Well there you have another issue. How can someone parent if they are struggling, where is the help they need?

Exactly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement