Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A warning on windscreens

• 02-10-2020 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Just want to get it out their - I've had windscreen cover for years and always assumed that windscreen claims didn't count - anyway a fairly large crack developed on my windscreen after the big snow a few years ago (probably a small unnoticeable chip a that that water got into and the cold weather caused it to crack). I had the windscreen replaced no issue. Then just after the lockdown I was on the motorway and the car in front sent a stone at me and left a small crack, I knew it was so small that they could repair rather than replace so said Id get it done in case there was a frost and it developed into a bigger crack. No issues there - windscreen place said insurance would cover it. My insurance renewal came out and my insurance jumped by €200 so said Id shop around - two claims were recorded on my cert of NCD - one for the replacement for €280 and one for the repair for €80. I was refused insurance by several companies on account of the two claims. Had I known this would happen I would have paid for the second one myself. Fortunately I got sorted with the AA in the end but just wanted to let people know that windscreen claims can impact on your ability to shop around.

Comments

Sounds strange, they shouldn’t count.

I had a windscreen replaced at the start of the year and my insurance renewal was last month and it was nearly 100 euro down on the previous year, I didn’t even read the documents to be honest to see if there was any mention of the replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭macchoille

GoWhest wrote: »
    Just want to get it out their - I've had windscreen cover for years and always assumed that windscreen claims didn't count - anyway a fairly large crack developed on my windscreen after the big snow a few years ago (probably a small unnoticeable chip a that that water got into and the cold weather caused it to crack). I had the windscreen replaced no issue. Then just after the lockdown I was on the motorway and the car in front sent a stone at me and left a small crack, I knew it was so small that they could repair rather than replace so said Id get it done in case there was a frost and it developed into a bigger crack. No issues there - windscreen place said insurance would cover it. My insurance renewal came out and my insurance jumped by €200 so said Id shop around - two claims were recorded on my cert of NCD - one for the replacement for €280 and one for the repair for €80. I was refused insurance by several companies on account of the two claims. Had I known this would happen I would have paid for the second one myself. Fortunately I got sorted with the AA in the end but just wanted to let people know that windscreen claims can impact on your ability to shop around.

Think it depends on the insurer really I think....

I had a basic windscreen replaced on my last car years ago and my renewal went way up. I rang up the insurer (can’t remember who) and asked about it and they said I had a windscreen claim, I told them I had a fully protected NCD but they said yeah your NCD is fine but your premium went up because of the claim. They were basically recovering the cost of the screen on my next premium as far as I could tell.

A few years after I had windscreen claim on my current car, it’s a heated IR screen on a Ford S-Max and my insurance actually went down and continued going down year on year since that.

Advertisement