Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway city recycling centre - city residents only?

Options
  • 02-10-2020 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I live near Claregalway - am I allowed to take stuff to the recycling centre in Liosban? The web site says "Galway City residential customers only":
    https://www.galwaycity.ie/recycling-centre

I've taken stuff to Barna Recycling at Carrowbrowne before, but they charge by weight. I'm clearing out my garage of lots of old heavy electrical items, like TVs, computers, Stereos, electrical cabling etc. so was hoping to take them to Liosban to avoid being charged.

Just wondering if they're going to ask me when I arrive if I'm a city resident, and perhaps demand proof?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

They've never asked me for proof of address or anything. Don't abuse it and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have never been asked either but then I usually bring just a few items each time.
    Unless they suspect you are a business I doubt they will ask anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Gwynston wrote: »
    I live near Claregalway - am I allowed to take stuff to the recycling centre in Liosban? The web site says "Galway City residential customers only":
    https://www.galwaycity.ie/recycling-centre

I've taken stuff to Barna Recycling at Carrowbrowne before, but they charge by weight. I'm clearing out my garage of lots of old heavy electrical items, like TVs, computers, Stereos, electrical cabling etc. so was hoping to take them to Liosban to avoid being charged.

Just wondering if they're going to ask me when I arrive if I'm a city resident, and perhaps demand proof?

You're only asked what you're bringing sometimes. Never asked for address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

I was once stopped form bringing a small fridge here, as it had a logo from a commercial company on it, and they are very strict about household waste only.
    Other than that, no issues. Its a clean and well run facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Thanks for the replies.
    I had no problems, despite having a car load of stuff, and in fact the lads there were very helpful directing me to the right dumps with all my stuff!

I feel like a weight has literally been lifted off me! De-cluttering gives such a sense of fulfilment and the thought that I sent so much old electrical equipment for recycling is very satisfying! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Ballina one used to cover a lot of the rest of the county. I know material from a place near Belmullet was being driven over there.
    So would assume that would be true elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

There’s another recycling place in Oranmore that might be handier for you and it’s got longer opening hours. Just at the level crossing opposite the Maldron hotel. I don’t think they charge for dumping electrical items like that. They do charge by weight for other waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Gwynston wrote: »

They never asked me before when i was dumping stuff.

There is "country" one, out near Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

JoeA3 wrote: »
    There’s another recycling place in Oranmore that might be handier for you and it’s got longer opening hours. Just at the level crossing opposite the Maldron hotel. I don’t think they charge for dumping electrical items like that. They do charge by weight for other waste.

Never knew this! I've a toaster and a few bits I want rid of....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

Barna waste have one out on Headford road opposite mc gaughs garden centre. Very reasonably priced and great if you want to clear out shed or clutter around the house. Usually go there every 2 months with vanload of stuff. They weigh you on entry and again when leaving. 15cent per kg on recyclable waste and 22 cent per kg on general waste. They also accept electrical goods mattresses batteries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

mjp wrote: »
    Barna waste have one out on Headford road opposite mc gaughs garden centre. Very reasonably priced and great if you want to clear out shed or clutter around the house. Usually go there every 2 months with vanload of stuff. They weigh you on entry and again when leaving. 15cent per kg on recyclable waste and 22 cent per kg on general waste. They also accept electrical goods mattresses batteries etc.

Gas when you see the account of crap fkd on the side of the road out there. Its maddening

Advertisement