Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Stick up Cam Battery V Ring Video doorbell

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Main questions being:

Can infrared be disabled on either camera?
    Are they both rain proof?
    Can you view both cameras via a windows PC?
    Do they detect motion through a glass window?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

obi604 wrote: »
    Main questions being:

Can infrared be disabled on either camera?
    Are they both rain proof?
    Can you view both cameras via a windows PC?
    Do they detect motion through a glass window?

No. Infrared can't be disabled on either.
    They are splash resistannt so should be rain proof.
    Possibly but you'd have to login and out of an app constantly so its not really what you want there.
    No i wouldnt thing so. Most cameras without motion detection would have issue with the window inbetween.

If you are looking for something where you can record and monitor locally, look elsewhere. Lots of cheaper SD card options on amazon.

peteb2 wrote: »
    No. Infrared can't be disabled on either.
    They are splash resistannt so should be rain proof.
    Possibly but you'd have to login and out of an app constantly so its not really what you want there.
    No i wouldnt thing so. Most cameras without motion detection would have issue with the window inbetween.

If you are looking for something where you can record and monitor locally, look elsewhere. Lots of cheaper SD card options on amazon.

Thanks. I just need to monitor real time. Any suggestions of the cheaper options?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Thanks. I just need to monitor real time. Any suggestions of the cheaper options?

I been looking into these myself. Guide to choosing below.
    https://uk.pcmag.com/home-security-cameras/119880/the-best-outdoor-home-security-cameras

Simplisafe and Wyze are the two recommended brands ahead of Amazon's Ring and Blink products. Readers choice picks below.
    https://uk.pcmag.com/simplisafe-home-security-system/123573/readers-choice-awards-2019-home-security-systems-cameras

Wyze is mostly indoor but they have outdoor cams. Blinks cams can be used Indoor and Outdoor.
    https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/reviews/wyze-cam-outdoor-review/

Wyze is cheapest and is recommended for SD storage. They also provide 2 week rolling cloud recording and no subscription necessary.

Quote from Readers choice above:
    For $20 and no monitoring fees, you can get Wyze Labs' Wyze Cam V2 with 1080p resolution and lots of powerful surveillance features. What's not to like? According to PCMag readers, not much. Wyze wins our Readers' Choice Award this year, unseating SimpliSafe, which won in the video surveillance camera category last year.

Wyze received an excellent overall satisfaction rating of 8.9 and an even better result for likelihood to recommend: 9.4. Despite how inexpensive Wyze's cameras are (the company's more advanced Wyze Cam Pan is only $30), we're still blown away by Wyze's near-perfect rating of 9.8 for satisfaction with the cost of the cameras. That 9.8 is probably the highest rating ever seen in any category or sub-category in PCMag Readers' Choice survey history. Readers love low prices with high quality.

The lack of subscription fees doesn't mean you don't get cloud storage: Wyze gives you two weeks of rolling storage. Said one respondent, "The cost is amazing. The product is phenomenal. Free 14-day cloud event recording is awesome

I been looking into these myself. Guide to choosing below.
    https://uk.pcmag.com/home-security-cameras/119880/the-best-outdoor-home-security-cameras

Simplisafe and Wyze are the two recommended brands ahead of Amazon's Ring and Blink products. Readers choice picks below.
    https://uk.pcmag.com/simplisafe-home-security-system/123573/readers-choice-awards-2019-home-security-systems-cameras

Wyze is mostly indoor but they have outdoor cams. Blinks cams can be used Indoor and Outdoor.
    https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/reviews/wyze-cam-outdoor-review/

Wyze is cheapest and is recommended for SD storage. They also provide 2 week rolling cloud recording and no subscription necessary.

Quote from Readers choice above:
    For $20 and no monitoring fees, you can get Wyze Labs' Wyze Cam V2 with 1080p resolution and lots of powerful surveillance features. What's not to like? According to PCMag readers, not much. Wyze wins our Readers' Choice Award this year, unseating SimpliSafe, which won in the video surveillance camera category last year.

Wyze received an excellent overall satisfaction rating of 8.9 and an even better result for likelihood to recommend: 9.4. Despite how inexpensive Wyze's cameras are (the company's more advanced Wyze Cam Pan is only $30), we're still blown away by Wyze's near-perfect rating of 9.8 for satisfaction with the cost of the cameras. That 9.8 is probably the highest rating ever seen in any category or sub-category in PCMag Readers' Choice survey history. Readers love low prices with high quality.

The lack of subscription fees doesn't mean you don't get cloud storage: Wyze gives you two weeks of rolling storage. Said one respondent, "The cost is amazing. The product is phenomenal. Free 14-day cloud event recording is awesome

Thank you for the long post.

Had a quick look, so the Wyze and SimpliSafe camera all have to be plugged in all the time?

• Advertisement

Thank you for the long post.

Had a quick look, so the Wyze and SimpliSafe camera all have to be plugged in all the time?

I'm not sure. I'm in the same boat as you, looking into camera systems.

Something to watch out for:
    There are good deals on Amazon that have bundles of 2-4 cameras such as Blink's deals but some of those cameras will only start recording video when a motion sensor is triggered.

That means they won't catch people approaching your front gate/driveway. They will be at the door before the recording kicks in.

However these camera deals could be suitable by using most inside and using 1 outside with a more powerful pan camera. So put two cameras at the front of the house. One for wide long range shots and one for close up. You could also use a Doorbell/Video combo instead of the close up cam.

Hikvision Colorvu CCTV is recommended elsewhere on boards but I think they are wired only so potentially more work and more expensive

thanks for the replies, to be honest, I am not looking for a complete security solution with multiple cameras.
    I am looking for something that will allow me to monitor the front door from inside (on an indoor windowsill pointing out a window) .............with the flexibility to possibly later on to mount it outside with motion detection and that operates with a battery (rented house etc and then move to own house)
    (I don't think motion detection works through windows for the initial setup)
    So when someone rings the normal doorbell that I can quickly connect to the camera to see who is there. Or just have a look every now and then at 'live view'

I have narrowed it down to these 3:

1. Ring Stick up cam battery: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q4R7VWN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_XGbHFbS5TVJ6K

2. Blink XT2 1 camera system: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M98TLCK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_8GbHFb6MXZNDE

3. Reolink Argus Pro: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D9ZP6F5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_hHbHFbMYTSB61

thanks for the replies, to be honest, I am not looking for a complete security solution with multiple cameras.
    I am looking for something that will allow me to monitor the front door from inside (on an indoor windowsill pointing out a window) .............with the flexibility to possibly later on to mount it outside with motion detection and that operates with a battery (rented house etc and then move to own house)
    So when someone rings the normal doorbell that I can quickly connect to the camera to see who is there. Or just have a look every now and then at 'live view'

1. Ring Stick up cam battery: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q4R7VWN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_XGbHFbS5TVJ6K

2. Blink XT2 1 camera system: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M98TLCK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_8GbHFb6MXZNDE

3. Reolink Argus Pro: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D9ZP6F5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_hHbHFbMYTSB61

If someone rings the doorbell how will your camera see them if it's mounted on a windowsill inside. Will the windowsill have clear sight of your door?

A video doorbell might be a better option and use a camera to detect approaches from the front gate.

If someone rings the doorbell how will your camera see them if it's mounted on a windowsill inside. Will the windowsill have clear sight of your door?

A video doorbell might be a better option and use a camera to detect approaches from the front gate.

yes the way the house is, the windowsill has a clear view of the front door area.

yes the way the house is, the windowsill has a clear view of the front door area.

Good, that would work so.

Do you know if all those cameras depend on detecting motion before they activate the camera?

I noticed the reo link is not compatible with NVR or Nas recording.

What recording features do they have, SD card etc?

• Advertisement

Good, that would work so.

Do you know if all those cameras depend on detecting motion before they activate the camera?

I noticed the reo link is not compatible with NVR or Nas recording.

What recording features do they have, SD card etc?

im not sure

Plus I dont even know what NVR or Nas is :o

im not sure

Plus I dont even know what NVR or Nas is :o

NVR is Network Video Recording.

NAS is a Data Storage Server that's used to manage your home or office Network. Uploaders/Gamers etc would use it to serve videos to their clients and provide secure access.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage#:~:text=Network%2Dattached%20storage%20(NAS),a%20heterogeneous%20group%20of%20clients.&text=They%20typically%20provide%20access%20to,NFS%2C%20SMB%2C%20or%20AFP.

Recording/storage is useful if you need to look back on who was at/around your house on a given day . Some of these cams record for a week or so and then overwrite the videos at the start of the next week. Cloud storage is useful too.

so of those 3 cameras, which one do yo think best suits my needs

so of those 3 cameras, which one do yo think best suits my needs

I'll look into it in detail later and post back here.

I want to know myself as I think these would be a good option for me also especially inside.

Just looking at the physical size of the cameras the Blink seems more discrete . It would be useful as a side profile camera in the porch or at side of house but the others would probably provide more of a deterrent .

I'm not an expert so hopefully some other posters can give some advice.

I'll post later when I've had time to review them properly.

Read through the general guide above . It has good recommendations on what features to look for. Then compare the 3 cameras against those features.

Another thing is speed of connection and reliability, from what I read, the simple Alfred app on an old iphone seems to be a lot quicker connecting than the actual Ring scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

https://powermoves.blog/blink-vs-ring/

I only went with ring over any other options because i had the doorbell and i'd rather consolidate apps than have different things for everything.

Been looking through reviews and specs on Amazon.

Blink are releasing New cameras on Amazon between Oct 16th and 22nd. These will be 3rd Gen. One advantage that Blink has over the others is a 2yr battery. 1 cam is €100, 2 cams €180. These come with a Module that you can save video to as well as sub to cloud. Might be good for Black Friday.

Reolink battery lasts only 4 weeks. However you can connect a Solar panel to it for free power 24/7.

Been looking through reviews and specs on Amazon.

Blink are releasing New cameras on Amazon between Oct 16th and 22nd. These will be 3rd Gen. One advantage that Blink has over the others is a 2yr battery. Reolink battery lasts only 4weeks. However you can connect a Solar panel to it for free power 24/7.

from what I read, the blink battery is nowhere near 2 years, about a month

from what I read, the blink battery is nowhere near 2 years, about a month

I'm going by what Amazon says. There 2yr claim is misleading going by their technical details below.

Two AA lithium metal batteries last up to two years, based on an average use per day of 8 seconds of Live View, 60 seconds of motion-activated recording and 6 seconds of two-way audio. XT2 provides nearly double the seconds of use as the original XT when used exclusively for Live View and motion-activated recording. Battery life will vary based on device settings, use and environmental factors. Use of two-way audio will reduce battery life.

Just looking at SD cards for a security camera. Is there a particular type of SD cars or size I should be looking at?

• Advertisement

Just looking at SD cards for a security camera. Is there a particular type of SD cars or size I should be looking at?

Youl need to know what size and type the camera takes first.

Youl need to know what size and type the camera takes first.

Right so you can’t just buy a standard 64gb SD card and away ya go.

Right so you can’t just buy a standard 64gb SD card and away ya go.

I'm not certain but I think there are different physical sizes and different storage capacities.

Look up a spec sheet of the Camera Model to see what's it's storage type is.

A quick Google search told me there is 3 different sizes of SD card.

Hi

So in the last couple fo weeks, I have ordered and used

Ring video doorbell Gen 2
    Blink XT2 1 camera system

just had them indoors pointing out a window and when someone rang doorbell, I would do a 'live view'
    They were grand and a decent image etc, but the speed of connection is sh1te.
    they are near the modem and internet is 40 mb download 20 upload

doorbell rings and id have the phone in my hand, by the time the app opens and spins and spins and thinks about it, the person is nearly gone

Can anyone recommend a camera that just connects quickly

I used the Alfred app device with an old phone and the connection speeds here were really good, but don't want to use this long term.

Hi

just had them indoors pointing out a window and when someone rang doorbell, I would do a 'live view'

doorbell rings and id have the phone in my hand, by the time the app opens and spins and spins and thinks about it, the person is nearly gone

I used the Alfred app device with an old phone and the connection speeds here were really good, but don't want to use this long term.

I want to avoid slow response times myself. There's no point in buying cameras/doorbells with slow response video.

The feature to look for is a pre buffer video.

From PcMag:
    Some of latest doorbell cameras offer a pre-buffer feature that records several seconds of activity prior to when a motion sensor is triggered or the doorbell button has been pressed so you can see what happened just before an event.

Hi

I want to avoid slow response times myself. There's no point in buying cameras/doorbells with slow response video.

The feature to look for is a pre buffer video.

From PcMag:
    Some of latest doorbell cameras offer a pre-buffer feature that records several seconds of activity prior to when a motion sensor is triggered or the doorbell button has been pressed so you can see what happened just before an event.

One camera that has pre buffer is the Arlo 2 but note the bold part below

When plugged in, Arlo Pro 2 uses a pre-buffer to record the three seconds before motion is detected. Your motion-triggered video recordings start before the motion happens, so you don’t miss a thing. Pre-buffering also reduces the latency between motion detection and the start of video recording. When operating on battery power, Arlo Pro 2 does not pre-buffer.

From the above I presume that only the pricier cams like the Arlo 2 will have pre buffer but they will need to have either a wired connection or solar power.

Ring video doorbells are being revoked due to being a fire hazard
    https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1326333010837446657?s=19

Advertisement