Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting house to apartments.

Options
  • 02-10-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

What is needed if covering a house into two apartments.
    It's a large 5 bed house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

farisfat wrote: »

It would be unusual for the conversion to make any sense. All current regulations with regard to insulation, fire safety, disabled access, type of heating et cetera will have to be complied with. The property may reduce and value as a result of the conversion. There are often insurance difficulties with converted properties which do not apply to purpose-built.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

What are you trying to achieve? Split a house into two apartments that you can sell/rent out separately to unconnected people? Or are you looking at something more like a granny flat, where the house would remain in the ownership of "a family", but someone gets their own space and facilities within it?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭farisfat

The idea is to maximise rental income.
    Rental income at the moment would be around 850 Euro.
    Two 2 bed apartment would be around 1400.
    The house currently needs a full refurb,thats the thinking behind the conversion.

5 bed house. Check what sort HAP payment you might get for that as a landlord as is with just done what needs to be done to comply with HAP requirements.
    rates are mentioned here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html#l4292e

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning permission.
    This is the hard bit. You need space provisions, parking, non storage, amenities, open space, private open space etc etc
    If you meet all of this and can get planning then you need the following;

Fire Safety Certificate.
    Disabled Access Certificate.

These are technical works so they are relatively easy to comply with but may be costly but are a lot more black and white then the subjective field of planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

I think this should not be allowed and planning rules are tightened there is a shortage of proper housing and stacking people and shortening house supply is really not on.

it is pure greed i really hope legislation is brought in to halt this sickening trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I think this should not be allowed and planning rules are tightened there is a shortage of proper housing and stacking people and shortening house supply is really not on.

it is pure greed i really hope legislation is brought in to halt this sickening trend.

Not many people will rent a 5 bed house. And normally people that do won’t have 4 kids. By turning it into 2 two beds. He might actually use more of the house.

It is greed as well but I’m sure you try and maximize how much you earn in your day job?

Fol20 wrote: »
    Not many people will rent a 5 bed house. And normally people that do won’t have 4 kids. By turning it into 2 two beds. He might actually use more of the house.

It is greed as well but I’m sure you try and maximize how much you earn in your day job?
    The house next door to the one I live in used to be in 2 flats. The current owner took out the flats and now rents it by way of individual bedroom lettings. He has no issues with the fire officer, planners, insurance and the property can be sold as a single unit quite easily should he desire to do so. He explained that he gets more rent because one of the rooms which would be used as a second kitchen is a bedroom as is the room which would be used as a second sitting room.
    The cost of doing a proper conversion to 2 flats involving installing 2 electric metres and fireproofing between the two units would be considerable. What's more, it would bring down the value of the house since there would be a very limited pool of buyers. It will take a very long time for the extra few hundred a month in rent to pay for the conversion work. Add in the higher insurance and other outlay because of the conversion and it would be very difficult to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

What's sickening about providing more places for people to live in?
    Or do you like seeing people homeless?

• Advertisement

The house next door to the one I live in used to be in 2 flats. The current owner took out the flats and now rents it by way of individual bedroom lettings. He has no issues with the fire officer, planners, insurance and the property can be sold as a single unit quite easily should he desire to do so. He explained that he gets more rent because one of the rooms which would be used as a second kitchen is a bedroom as is the room which would be used as a second sitting room.
    The cost of doing a proper conversion to 2 flats involving installing 2 electric metres and fireproofing between the two units would be considerable. What's more, it would bring down the value of the house since there would be a very limited pool of buyers. It will take a very long time for the extra few hundred a month in rent to pay for the conversion work. Add in the higher insurance and other outlay because of the conversion and it would be very difficult to justify.

I've thought about letting it by individual bedroom but the utility bills would be a night mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

You are totally wrong. There is more money in two small flats than one big house because they are more in demand so providing it is helping more people. Profit is a good thing. That been said I think there are a lot of practical difficulties such as soundproofing, fire and non statutory ones like alarms. These are required between properties but not between rooms of a single house. So it probably isnt worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Countryboy2018

I've thought about letting it by individual bedroom but the utility bills would be a night mare.

Hi I had a property same as yourself which was let to a lovely family, when they left I decided to rent all five rooms individually.
    The house is in a good area with good employment so there is rarely any room left empty.
    I have no issues with utilities.
    Install a prepay meter and let the tenants top up themselves.
    I order heating oil for them in the winter months and they all share cost of oil and pay me when they can.
    There is a bit more work when they decide to leave , with viewings etc but it’s financially better for you and I think this would be the best solution for you rather than converting it into two flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Pkiernan wrote: »

Don't worry about it there is always one going off about providing cheaper accommodation to renters. Remember the bedsits ruling where that left the lower end of the market. On the street but at least it got the boot into the landlords :cool:

Don't be so naive or was that an attempt at sarcasm? To cut a house in two and call it apartments is laughable and then have the audacity to charge premium prices.

Half a house in Drimnagh for 1200 a month being one example, an absolute farce. If people want to make money from it fine, but that doesnt make it morally or ethically right, just pure greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Don't be so naive or was that an attempt at sarcasm? To cut a house in two and call it apartments is laughable and then have the audacity to charge premium prices.

Half a house in Drimnagh for 1200 a month being one example, an absolute farce. If people want to make money from it fine, but that doesnt make it morally or ethically right, just pure greed.

What if the subdvided the house and had a reasonable rate? Is your problem a perception that the OP will overcharge as there is no evidence of that?

What if the subdvided the house and had a reasonable rate? Is your problem a perception that the OP will overcharge as there is no evidence of that?

The idea is to maximise rental income.
    Rental income at the moment would be around 850 Euro.
    Two 2 bed apartment would be around 1400.
    The house currently needs a full refurb,thats the thinking behind the conversion.

From the horses mouth so to speak, op does seem reasonable to be fair though.
    I rest my case,case closed 😂

Thanks folks alot of info their.
    The decision is to do mini refurbish and let it by the room and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Yawn...

So you'd rather see a landlord poorer and less people with a home.

Says a lot...

The Council will pay over declared HAP rate.
    At the very least you should ask an Estate Agent who the prospective Customer for this type house is. If might be a candidate for reconversion to swish family home like much of Rathmines was over the last two decades.

• Advertisement

Yawn...

So you'd rather see a landlord poorer and less people with a home.

Yawn is right you have a terrible attitude, Do you drive a red Audi or and Old Bmw? fits the profile:D

Anyway good luck OP hope it works out for you, Im just not in favour of ruining houses and expecting people to live in shoe boxes.

Half a house is better than no house at all.

Advertisement