Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the possibility of a God not a scary thought...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

"Prayer" may simply be a desperate cry for help. Like the mad primal grab for the teat (like when youre hungry as a baby brat).
    You feel less alone etc

I grab for the teat even in times of joy. If its not there, i try to pray / wishful think it into existence

It doesnt work ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

It is asserted frequently that prayer has physical effects, e.g. healing. It is entirely possible to measure the presence or absence of those physical effects

And conclude what? That prayer isn't answered?

You'll have read this before. Scientist goes crashing through the woods shouting out "are there any lesser spotted shy kites here" and finds there isn't.

Does that mean there are no shy kites in the woods?

If there was an experiment demonstrating a positive correlation between prayer and healing I strongly suspect we'd never hear the end of it.

And with just cause. We would have a positive result with which to conclude something.

But you seem to be supposing this experiment is well designed. When it can't be, it seems, well designed. How would one go about designing such an experiement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wouldn't it be in each particulars religions interest to found out if their particular version of prayers work? Can you imagine if the CC could show, with proof, that praying to the Christian God, using their prayers, has an effect?

It would transform religion and the world.

And it's not like they haven't some of the brightest minds throughout history working for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And conclude what? That prayer isn't answered?

Conclude that a positive effect commonly claimed for prayer has not been observed. Indeed it's probably the most common reason that living people are prayed for.
    Whether that tallies with your or my personal beliefs regarding prayer or not is entirely beside the point.

You'll have read this before. Scientist goes crashing through the woods shouting out "are there any lesser spotted shy kites here" and finds there isn't.

Does that mean there are no shy kites in the woods?

No but failure to find them after repeated trials certainly would cast doubt on the claims of the man who claims that they are common there and he sees them every day.

And with just cause. We would have a positive result with which to conclude something.

Actually no we wouldn't. Correlation is not causation after all... but we would have something worth looking into further.

But you seem to be supposing this experiment is well designed. When it can't be, it seems, well designed. How would one go about designing such an experiement?

Why can't it be? Either prayer can have observable physical effects, or it can't.

Scrap the cap!

I told John Hutton by PM a few weeks ago when I sent him the paper that I would avoid the Christianity forum until November 1st to both give him time to think and come up with replies to the following and because I think we were both getting a bit testy in the the heat of the moment.

1) Read the paper and give a comprehensive reply to its findings
    2) Describe why that example I chose from the video is not contradictory
    3) Respond to the comments from my last post

I look forward to now reading your detailed responses to these which you stated that you would work on over this period. :)

So what should I conclude from your lack of response to this given the ample amount of time that was given? You stated many times in this thread that you would describe why an example from the video was not contradictory if I picked out one, that you would reply to the findings of the paper if I sent it to you etc.

The only conclusion that I can personally draw from it is that asserting that your faith is correct is in fact not as important to you as you previously suggested, and that you have instead simply accepted that Christianity is correct and nothing I or anyone else could say to you or show you could potentially change your mind.

Would this be a fair assumption?

(Mods: not trying to attack the poster of anything, my apologies if it sounds that way. He did however write a lot of posts asking me to pick out an example and suggested he would read and respond to the paper if I paid and sent it to him. I think that it's only fair that I ask why he has not bothered to respond since. :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

After listening to some prominent atheists and doing some research the idea that there maybe a god is just as scary as the thought of simply nothing.

An all powerful god decides to create the world and humans and then fills the world with such pain and misery and then expects us to worship him constantly, why? It then tries to fill us with fear of his wrath if we disobey in anyway.

You're presuming that mankind is effectively innocent which isn't true. Sickness, pain and death are the consequence of sin. God created this world and it was good. We decided to go our own way and say no to God. This world is fallen as a result of disobedience. If you want to see this look to Genesis chapters 1 to 3 in the Bible.

So actually instead of claiming that God filled the world with these things when He created it good, we should be angry at the sin that separated us from God and led to the Fall. We should look to Jesus and the new creation He offers us when He returns and the new life He gives us now through His death and resurrection.
    What kind of a god is it to do that? a very scary one in my honest opinion, I mean if I created life the last thing I would want to do is bestow untold misery on it and then demand it grovels to me, that's insane.

This isn't what Christianity teaches. Christianity teaches that while we were still sinners Christ died for us (Romans 5:8-9). While we were ignoring God's rules and as a result separated from God and His goodness Jesus came to rescue us.

This is also why I don't think He's scary at all. God is merciful to us. Our sin however is absolutely wretched.

What kind of people are we to treat God the way we do should be your question.

How do people reconcile the fact they are worshiping a god that does and behaves this way? We condemn dictators and evil despots for doing this kind of thing but God gets a free pass, why? is it not just as wrong? are people only believing and following out of fear?

God doesn't behave in the way you describe. The evil is from us refusing to honour Him in the world He created us to live in. (see Romans 1 for this)
    Also how many religions and gods are there in the world? we only believe in what we believe because of geography...they can't all be true, if we were born in a different era or a different part of the world our beliefs would be totally different, yet Catholics and Christians don't bat an eye in not believing in any other religion or God..

Jesus is the only one who stepped into history. Jesus is the only one who stepped into this world to rescue us. We've got eyewitness testimony to confirm this also.

I'd encourage you to look at this testimony and listen to Jesus instead of watching "prominent atheists". Jesus speaks with much more authority into our lives than they ever will.

You're presuming that mankind is effectively innocent which isn't true. Sickness, pain and death are the consequence of our sin. God created this world and it was good. We decided to go our own way and say no to God. This world is fallen as a result of our disobedience. If you want to see this look to Genesis chapters 1 to 3 in the Bible.

So actually instead of claiming that God filled the world with these things when He created it good, we should be angry at the sin that separated us from God and led to the Fall. We should look to Jesus and the new creation He offers us when He returns and the new life He gives us now through His death and resurrection.

This isn't what Christianity teaches. Christianity teaches that while we were still sinners Christ died for us (Romans 5:8-9). While we were ignoring God's rules and as a result separated from God and His goodness Jesus came to rescue us.

This is also why I don't think He's scary at all. God is merciful to us. Our sin however is absolutely wretched.

What kind of people are we to treat God the way we do should be your question.

God doesn't behave in the way you describe. The evil is from us refusing to honour Him in the world He created us to live in.

Jesus is the only one who stepped into history. Jesus is the only one who stepped into this world to rescue us. We've got eyewitness testimony to confirm this also.

I'd encourage you to look at this testimony and listen to Jesus instead of watching "prominent atheists". Jesus speaks with much more authority into our lives than they ever will.

What eyewitness testimony? None of the records, that were chosen to be included in what we understand to be the bible, were written by the actual people present.

But on the point of whether God is scary or not, the fact that God is punishing all of us, not only Adam and Eve, for the sins of Adam and Eve would suggest that he is at best unable to forgive.

He definitely holds a grudge. What have you, or I, done to make his actions towards us reasonable? You may say that we must prove that we love God, live in his word, but that is condemning us prior to any act on the basis that we will probably do it.

What sort of justice system treats people like that? Treats everyone as guilty until such time as they prove themselves not to be? Which of course we can't, God seems to believe that we are all inherently sinners and if we are being nice today we don't get to go to paradise we must live out our entire existence to prove that we won't do something bad in the future.

So the thought of such a vengeful, unforgiving and uncaring god does worry me. The rules seem completely arbitrary. Who goes to heaven, who doesn't? We don't know, we can't know. Do all Christians go to heaven simply for being Christian, or do many Christians never make it as they didn't reach the required standard?

What is the standard? Do past transgressions count or are they absolved in confession? What about non-Christians? They don't believe in Jesus, therefore they can never make it to heaven, no matter how good they may be.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But on the point of whether God is scary or not, the fact that God is punishing all of us, not only Adam and Eve, for the sins of Adam and Eve would suggest that he is at best unable to forgive.

All have sinned. The Bible is pretty clear on that. (Romans 3:23)

The question is where do we go from there? Do we turn to Jesus for salvation or do we continue to ignore Him?
    What sort of justice system treats people like that? Treats everyone as guilty until such time as they prove themselves not to be?

This is another mistake. We've all sinned as I previously mentioned, we've all done things that God declares to be wrong in His word. This is the problem with the bolded line. It isn't accurately reflecting what Christianity teaches.

So this is a strawman rather than actual objections to Christianity.
    So the thought of such a vengeful, unforgiving and uncaring god does worry me. The rules seem completely arbitrary. Who goes to heaven, who doesn't? We don't know, we can't know. Do all Christians go to heaven simply for being Christian, or do many Christians never make it as they didn't reach the required standard?

I would heavily dispute the fact that God is uncaring, unforgiving or vengeful. God sent His Son to die for us so we could be right with Him (Romans 5:8-9, John 3:16). That demonstrates that God is none of these things.

Christianity teaches that we are saved by grace through faith in Christ. There's no bar that I need to work towards. (Ephesians 2:8-10). Our salvation is a gift that can be accepted.

If you decline the offer that is up to you. Judgement remains in the absence of salvation.
    What is the standard? Do past transgressions count or are they absolved in confession? What about non-Christians? They don't believe in Jesus, therefore they can never make it to heaven, no matter how good they may be.

All we need to do is believe in Jesus Christ and accept His offer for salvation. He will help us to grow in grace if we trust Him. This is also in Romans. I'd recommend you read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

There's been approx 3,000 or more gods on record so just to clarify, exactly which one are we talking about here. I always found the sun god the most attractive personally. I mean he's tangible, you can see and feel him and at the end of the day if he wasn't there we'd all be toast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There's been approx 3,000 or more gods on record so just to clarify, exactly which one are we talking about here. I always found the sun god the most attractive personally. I mean he's tangible, you can see and feel him and at the end of the day if he wasn't there we'd all be toast.

Mod: You are on a Christianity forum where it should be abundantly obvious God refers to the God in the Christian bible. Carded you for breach of point 6 of the charter

"6. Do not post anything intended to inflame or insult. The goal of this forum is to be a place where ideas relating to Christianity are expounded, debated and challenged. While discussion is encouraged, each member is expected to remain within the boundaries of taste and decency. If you disagree with a opinion expressed, please do so in a well mannered fashion."

If you can't be considerate of the faith of others, you are in the wrong forum.
    Please do not respond in thread, any comments to the feedback thread or PM.
    Thanks for your attention.

• Advertisement

All have sinned. The Bible is pretty clear on that. (Romans 3:23)

That is fine, but it needs to be understood. Have unborn babies sinned? What about before they talk, walk, or think for themselves? I cannot think that newborn babies are sinners, not at least by anything they have done, yet they are born into this world. A world that is full of sin and evil because man sinned.
    The question is where do we go from there? Do we turn to Jesus for salvation or do we continue to ignore Him?

That isn't really the question, the real question is what level of turning to Jesus do we have to get to? Should we all get rid of worldly belongings, not live for the morrow. Should we all forgive those that have sinned (except of course that God doesn't appear to adhere to that). Can we turn to Jesus after an evil act, or is that evil act enough to condemn us? Are we judged on others acts, as we appear to be in respect of Adam and Eve?

This is another mistake. We've all sinned as I previously mentioned, we've all done things that God declares to be wrong in His word. This is the problem with the bolded line. It isn't accurately reflecting what Christianity teaches.

So this is a strawman rather than actual objections to Christianity.

This is the bolded line;
    Treats everyone as guilty until such time as they prove themselves not to be?

If god doesn't treat us as guilty, yet condemns us to this earth instead of Eden, then the only other option is that we are guilty. My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, is that Christianity teaches that we are born sinners. So it goes back to my earlier point. When do we become sinners? At conception, at birth, what is the baptism for if not to above us of the sin, surely we then head straight to paradise?
    I would heavily dispute the fact that God is uncaring, unforgiving or vengeful. God sent His Son to die for us so we could be right with Him (Romans 5:8-9, John 3:16). That demonstrates that God is none of these things.

I know you do, it is just my opinion based on my readings. I have no more knowledge of the true god than you do. God sent his son for us, but what did it actually change? When he resurrected, we didn't get back into Eden. People are born today exactly as they were then. Into a world of disease, war, famine etc. It seems to me that nothing materially changed. I assume you believe that people were always born sinners, well after Adam & Eve, and they are still born sinners.
    Christianity teaches that we are saved by grace through faith in Christ. There's no bar that I need to work towards. (Ephesians 2:8-10). Our salvation is a gift that can be accepted.

If you decline the offer that is up to you. Judgement remains in the absence of salvation.

All we need to do is believe in Jesus Christ and accept His offer for salvation. He will help us to grow in grace if we trust Him. This is also in Romans. I'd recommend you read it.

Right, so there is no actual terms and limits. So everyone, no matter how good, that happens to believe in Jesus gets into heaven and everyone that fails to believe is out, no matter what they do or how they behave. And for all the people that lived before Jesus was sent down to die for us? They can't have believed in Jesus, it wasn't a thing. Are they condemned to eternity in hell?

And that is the bit that gets me. My dad believes in Christ, my mam doesn't. They are both loving parents, work hard, done their best and provided for the family over many years. I would count them both as nice people. Is my Dad going to heaven and my Mam to hell simply because and events in her life that lead her away from the church?

That is fine, but it needs to be understood. Have unborn babies sinned?

Some rather interesting thoughts from a Christian perspective here which concludes babies are born innocent and the concept of inherited sin (see original sin) is not well supported in the bible. Purely speculation, but I would imagine the vast majority of Christians in this country would assert that babies are born innocent and that sin is not something that is inherited. So far as I'm aware this is also the Catholic position but not the Calvinist position which asserts sin is hereditary.

Before I start, I would say if you want to discuss different views of original sin, I'd encourage you to start a new thread. Similarly in respect to Christian views on wealth.
    That is fine, but it needs to be understood. Have unborn babies sinned? What about before they talk, walk, or think for themselves? I cannot think that newborn babies are sinners, not at least by anything they have done, yet they are born into this world. A world that is full of sin and evil because man sinned.

It doesn't take long to discover that children are capable of sin, and it is definitely not an excuse in respect to adulthood where most of us are pretty aware that we've not lived a perfect life.
    That isn't really the question, the real question is what level of turning to Jesus do we have to get to? Should we all get rid of worldly belongings, not live for the morrow. Should we all forgive those that have sinned (except of course that God doesn't appear to adhere to that). Can we turn to Jesus after an evil act, or is that evil act enough to condemn us? Are we judged on others acts, as we appear to be in respect of Adam and Eve?

It is the question that matters in respect to eternity. Christianity is a faith that acknowledges that we are a work in progress (Philippians 1:6). We're not left on our own. If we've turned to Christ and accepted Him as Lord, God will work in the Christian to grow them to be more like Christ. This is why Christians talk a lot about bearing fruit. If you are truly in Christ you will grow to be more like Him.

Most other religions treat our works as ways to be right with God. Biblical Christianity doesn't do this. Biblical Christianity says that God loved us first and in response to God's grace and mercy we live a new life in response to His grace. God actively helps us to live for Him.
    This is the bolded line;
    Treats everyone as guilty until such time as they prove themselves not to be?

If god doesn't treat us as guilty, yet condemns us to this earth instead of Eden, then the only other option is that we are guilty. My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, is that Christianity teaches that we are born sinners. So it goes back to my earlier point. When do we become sinners? At conception, at birth, what is the baptism for if not to above us of the sin, surely we then head straight to paradise?

Bolding the line doesn't make it any less a strawman.

When you phrase it that way you make it sound like humanity isn't actually guilty of sin. Christianity is pretty clear that we actually are. There is no way we can prove ourselves to be any different from the truth.

This is why we need God's mercy.
    I know you do, it is just my opinion based on my readings. I have no more knowledge of the true god than you do. God sent his son for us, but what did it actually change? When he resurrected, we didn't get back into Eden. People are born today exactly as they were then. Into a world of disease, war, famine etc. It seems to me that nothing materially changed. I assume you believe that people were always born sinners, well after Adam & Eve, and they are still born sinners.

Actually, I have more knowledge of God than you do. Why? Because I've accepted Jesus as my Saviour and I've been living with Him as my Lord for 13 years. A Christian who walks with God and who knows Him personally is going to have more knowledge than a non-Christian who doesn't.

God sending Jesus changes everything. It changes how we view every aspect of life, and it changes our eternity.
    Right, so there is no actual terms and limits. So everyone, no matter how good, that happens to believe in Jesus gets into heaven and everyone that fails to believe is out, no matter what they do or how they behave. And for all the people that lived before Jesus was sent down to die for us? They can't have believed in Jesus, it wasn't a thing. Are they condemned to eternity in hell?

Goodness is based on God's standards. We're all guilty to begin with. That is the verdict. Therefore we are all in need of God's grace.

God's mercy is offered as a gift. It isn't a matter of works, because no matter what works we do we remain guilty because of our sin.

As for before Jesus came in the flesh, you'll see in the Bible that many were justified before Christ (Hebrews 11). This is because they trusted in God as He revealed Himself to them then.
    And that is the bit that gets me. My dad believes in Christ, my mam doesn't. They are both loving parents, work hard, done their best and provided for the family over many years. I would count them both as nice people. Is my Dad going to heaven and my Mam to hell simply because and events in her life that lead her away from the church?

I won't comment on your family members since I don't know them.

What I would say is that there are two aspects to righteousness. Firstly, how we view God (vertical), and how we view others (horizontally).

I can treat others well (for the most part, all people have mistreated others at some stage), while still dishonouring God by ignoring what He says and by living in a way that ignores what He has said about how we should live in His world.

Before I start, I would say if you want to discuss different views of original sin, I'd encourage you to start a new thread. Similarly in respect to Christian views on wealth.

Mod warning: With respect, I consider this to verge on back seat modding. You are also the person that introduced the concept of inherited sin with "All have sinned. The Bible is pretty clear on that. (Romans 3:23)". If you wish to start another thread on original sin, by all means please do so. Do not however instruct other posters in this manner. Please do not respond in thread, any comments to the feedback thread or PM. Thanks for your attention.

I think the set up is something like:

God created man. When man reproduced, whatever man was was reproduced. When man fell and obtained for himself a sinful nature ( or a nature stimulated by and desiring of sin) he naturally propogated this on - just like he propagated on everything else. A genetic mutation, as it were.

And so children are innocent (in that they have committed no sin). But, having a sinful nature, they will in time, sin.

If God set up all good and the deal was that all would propogate onwards, then he is not responsible for the self- mutation brought upon man by man himself.

He might attempt to reverse the consequences but he is not responsible for the consequences of mans decisions.

..is the way it appears to be constructed

I think the set up is something like:

God created man. When man reproduced, whatever man was was reproduced. When man fell and obtained for himself a sinful nature ( or a nature stimulated by and desiring of sin) he naturally propogated this on - just like he propagated on everything else. A genetic mutation, as it were.

And so children are innocent (in that they have committed no sin). But, having a sinful nature, they will in time, sin.

If God set up all good and the deal was that all would propogate onwards, then he is not responsible for the self- mutation brought upon man by man himself.

He might attempt to reverse the consequences but he is not responsible for the consequences of mans decisions.

..is the way it appears to be constructed

But why not start everyone in paradise, like Adam? Adam was, obviously since he sinned, of a sinful nature. And since God made him, then God made him as sinful.

Why would God do that? But even having a sinful nature God started him the Garden of Eden. Why not do the same for everyone? (9ne could argue that is what happens, we are born into this world after sinning in Eden, but that is not what Christianity teaches).

But if people are condemned to a lifetime of slavery, disease, pain, disability, loss, heartache, and in many cases a painful death, on the basis that they will probably sin at some point, even though that is exactly what God created them to be able to do, that seems pretty messed up and would make one question the fairness of that God.

We know what we are told about God in the Bible, although there is some interpretation over the Old Testament version, but we don't know, cannot know, if God sticks to that after we die.

Satan choose to disobey God, so as such it must be that even in heaven we can be sinful. And we are back where we started.

I worry that despite the bible, and people claiming the know God, an answer as to exactly what constitutes the level we need to be at to guarantee heaven is disconcerting.

Theo, you don't need to know my parents, treat it as a hypothetical position. Does one, both or none get to heaven? Does my Dad's continued relationship with a non believer count against him? Does his belief not cover her since they were joined in marriage through God?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

smacl wrote: »
    Some rather interesting thoughts from a Christian perspective here which concludes babies are born innocent and the concept of inherited sin (see original sin) is not well supported in the bible. Purely speculation, but I would imagine the vast majority of Christians in this country would assert that babies are born innocent and that sin is not something that is inherited. So far as I'm aware this is also the Catholic position but not the Calvinist position which asserts sin is hereditary.

Might just try to clear up this point. The Catholic position is that all human beings are born with original sin (the only exception being the Mother of Christ, for reasons I will let all y'all explore for yourselves :)):

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
    402 All men are implicated in Adam's sin, as St. Paul affirms: "By one man's disobedience many (that is, all men) were made sinners": "sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned." The Apostle contrasts the universality of sin and death with the universality of salvation in Christ. "Then as one man's trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one man's act of righteousness leads to acquittal and life for all men."

403 Following St. Paul, the Church has always taught that the overwhelming misery which oppresses men and their inclination towards evil and death cannot be understood apart from their connection with Adam's sin and the fact that he has transmitted to us a sin with which we are all born afflicted, a sin which is the "death of the soul". Because of this certainty of faith, the Church baptizes for the remission of sins even tiny infants who have not committed personal sin.

The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative language, but affirms a primeval event, a deed that took place at the beginning of the history of man. Revelation gives us the certainty of faith that the whole of human history is marked by the original fault freely committed by our first parents.

There is a difference between original sin and personal sin. A child has no personal sin, but it is already marked by the sin of our first parents.

And from the Council of Trent:
    If anyone denies that infants, newly born from their mothers' wombs, are to be baptized, even though they be born of baptized parents, or says that they are indeed baptized for the remission of sins, but that they derive nothing of original sin from Adam which must be expiated by the laver of regeneration for the attainment of eternal life, whence it follows that in them the form of baptism for the remission of sins is to be understood not as true but as false, let him be anathema (...)

For in virtue of this rule of faith handed down from the Apostles, even infants who could not as yet commit any sin of themselves, are for this reason truly baptized for the remission of sins, in order that in them what they contracted by generation may be washed away by regeneration

Therefore, this point is not even up for discussion for Catholics. With Protestants though, all bets are off. Each of the 20,000 or so different Protestant ecclesial communions preach whatever they want.

But why not start everyone in paradise, like Adam? Adam was, obviously since he sinned, of a sinful nature. And since God made him, then God made him as sinful.

Adam wasn't created with a sinful nature (the argument goes), rather, he obtained a sinful nature upon sinning.

A sinful nature is one that is excited by, stimulated by and bent towards sin. It doesn't have a free and balanced will in the face of sins temptations. Paul describes us as slaves to sin.

Adam, on the other hand had a free and balanced will in relation to sins temptation.

-

I suppose you could ask why everyone wasn't placed in the same position as Adam and allowed to freely choose in blank slate fashion.

I guess the answer to that would be that: in order to really be able to choose for God and against God you have to be able to experience what for God and against God is like.

Adam wasn't a moral agent at the time of his choice (he only gained a knowledge of good and evil upon choosing). He was a kind of proto-person in that regard.

This fallen world of ours gives us that experience. It contains what God is about (love, relationship, joy, peace, selflesness) and what God is not about (the opposites of the above)

We get to experience the fruits of both (whether the holy or unholy delights of both) and get to make a choice as to which we'll spend eternity in.

But if people are condemned to a lifetime of slavery, disease, pain, disability, loss, heartache, and in many cases a painful death, on the basis that they will probably sin at some point,

The world and man fell. The reason why suffering is frequently because of our nature. Our sin creates the awfulness of the world. And the world is awful because it was out under our dominion: when the head fell, all under the dominion of the head fell.

It is not made awful because we might sin. It became awful due to self infection with sin.

even though that is exactly what God created them to be able to do, that seems pretty messed up and would make one question the fairness of that God.

God created them able to make a choice. And he set about giving them a choice, allowing the serpent into the garden.

I'd see the ability to choose 'not God' as of primary import. The consequences are pretty irrelevant. The alternative is to offer no choice (robots).

As for Satan being allowed to choose?

It seems superfluous to give people as second choice as to God/not God. Once a person has been presented a choice (wheter Satan or us) and has given their answer, why ask them again? Now I know we do that here with referendums (when the right answer isn't given to the powers that be) but we all know what a crock that was.

Therefore, this point is not even up for discussion for Catholics. With Protestants though, all bets are off. Each of the 20,000 or so different Protestant ecclesial communions preach whatever they want.

That old chesnut sidesteps the choice of some people to believe whatever they want. In this case, Catholicism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

That old chestnut sidesteps the fact that everyone makes the choice to believe whatever they want. Some chose to believe the Catholic Church is the ultimate authority on what is and isn't Christianity, for instance.

A person might grant the Catholic Church the authority to tell them what the Bible says and means. But they themselves cannot but remain the ultimate authority on what they choose to believe. Their granting authority to the Catholic Church makes the Catholic Church a secondary authority to their own primary authority.

For people who are Catholics, the Magisterium (the teaching authority of the Church) is the final authority on the interpretation of Scripture and Tradition. The Church interprets authoritatively through defining Dogmas of the Faith. An example of this is the Eucharist being the real Body of Christ (not in any figurative sense, but really and truly the body of Our Saviour).

Catholics who vocally disagree with these definitions are in danger of automatic (latinae sententiae) excommunication (this will apply if certain conditions are met, as determined by Canon Law). So no, everyone cannot be their own Pope and remain a Catholic (if that is what you meant, I wasn't clear :)).

This is because, as a Church, you cannot lay claim to holding the One True Faith and at the same time allow for a multiplicity of beliefs on essential issues. This is illogical.

Additionally, the Bible cannot interpret itself, therefore it cannot be its own final authority.

However, it is worth noting that Christianity flourished for decades before the Bible was written (yes, a Christianity without a Bible!). Then the Catholic Church assembled the Canon of Scripture ie. discerned which books can be trusted as authoritative and which must be rejected as inauthentic. One of the key factors in rejecting a book,eg the alleged Gospel according to St Thomas, was that it did not square with the faith which was handed down orally from the Apostles (who knew Christ personally) and carefully preserved by the Catholic Church. Therefore, it was out of the bosom of the Catholic Church that we now have the Bible.

There is also ample evidence for Church authority in the Scriptures themselves:

“He who hears you hears Me, and he who rejects you rejects Me, and he who rejects Me rejects Him who sent Me.” (Lk 10:16)

Here, Christ explicitly identifies himself with the Apostles: this identification is so complete that accepting or rejecting the Apostles is the same as accepting or rejecting Christ. Catholic Bishops are successors of the Apostles ie. you can trace their chain of consecration all the way to the Apostles.

And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock, I will build My Church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in Heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in Heaven.(Mt 16:18-19)

This is a key passage for understanding the Catholic doctrine of Church authority: Christ’s deliberate intent to establish a new Church (“I will build My Church”) His choice of Peter as the foundation, or head, of this Church Christ confers on Peter his own divine authority (“the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven”) for ruling the Church (“bind” and “loose”). This power to “bind and loose”, repeated also in Mt 18:18 to the Apostles as a whole, is understood as applying first to Peter and his successors (the Pope), and then to the rest of the Apostles and their successors (the other Bishops) in union with Peter.

http://www.beginningcatholic.com/church-authority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

However, it is worth noting that Christianity flourished for decades before the Bible was written (yes, a Christianity without a Bible!). Then the Catholic Church assembled the Canon of Scripture ie. discerned which books can be trusted as authoritative and which must be rejected as inauthentic. One of the key factors in rejecting a book,eg the alleged Gospel according to St Thomas, was that it did not square with the faith which was handed down orally from the Apostles (who knew Christ personally) and carefully preserved by the Catholic Church. Therefore, it was out of the bosom of the Catholic Church that we now have the Bible.
    Well, not quite.

For a start, we have to qualify the claim that “Christianity flourished for decades before the Bible was written”; the Old Testament texts, which are the bulk of the Bible, had of course been written and received as canonical before Christianity came along, so there was never a time when Christianity was without them. And what is thought to be the earliest of the New Testament texts, 1 Thessalonians, was probably written between fifteen and twenty years after the death of Christ. So I don’t think we can even say that Christianity “flourished for decades” without the NT texts. It was a while before the last of the NT Texts was composed, but the process started almost immediately.

As for the reception of the NT texts as canonical, this seems to have been a bottom-up process more than a top-down one. No pope or church council pronounced on the matter until the fourth century, and that came after a long process of debate, discussion and scholarship in which competing views as to which texts where authoritative, and as to what the criteria for authority should be, were aired.

I describe the process as “bottom up” because, in fact, the first question usually seems to be “is this text being used in liturgies by the church”? The question of whether a text should be received as scriptural mostly arose because (a) the text was being treated as scripture in some local church, and (b) someone objected to this or questioned it or, alternatively, urged that other churches should also employ that text in liturgy.

A consensus on the proper criteria to consider when answering this question emerged over a period of time. The criteria used included:

- Who is believed to have written this text? How confident can we be that he wrote it? Was he a recognised apostle or, if not, was he someone close to a recognised apostle? How consistent is this text with other texts that we receive as inspired, and with the faith universally held by the church?

The Gospel of Thomas is interesting in this context. There’s no evidence that it was ever a serious contender to be received as canonical. Various different writers and teachers proposed various lists of texts that they considered to be canonical, or that they proposed should be received as canonical; Thomas doesn’t appear in any of them. Nor does anybody denounce it as not canonical before the third century. The parsimonious explanation for this is that (a) it didn’t exist before the third century, or (b) it did, but no local church treated it as scriptural and therefore the question of whether it was truly scripture didn’t come up, and didn’t have to be either affirmed or rejected.

The net effect of the criteria for canonicity was that, to have any chance of being received as scripture, a text had to be early - i.e. the date of composition had to be such that it could have been written by an apostle, or by someone who knew an apostle at first hand. The texts that were proposed as canonical but ultimately rejected as apocryphal were, by and large, later compositions than the ones that were received as canonical. And, secondly, the text had to be not merely of early composition, but to have been widely known from an early date. This was because, if it wasn’t widely known, how confident could you be that it was an early composition? A text popping up in the third century claiming to have been written by someone who died in the first century would be automatically suspicious. But it was also because of the need for use in liturgy; even if a genuine text had existed in hiding, it couldn’t have been used in public liturgy and, therefore, the question of whether it was scriptural wouldn’t arise.

By the time popes and councils rule on this, the controversy is largely over; a consensus has already emerged, and the formal rules merely confirm the consensus. The purpose of these formal declarations is (a) to confirm that the discussion has concluded, and (b) to provide an authoritative record the result of the discussion. Sometimes the trigger for a ruling is a practical one; an effort is being organised to copy and distribute bibles for use in churches, and in that context, for the benefit of the copyists the same authority that it telling them to produce the copies is telling them which texts to include.

I found Bart Ehrman's Lost Christianities made for some good reading on proto-Christianity and how the canonical New Testament was formed. From my reading there was a very broad range of conflicting beliefs during the early stages of Christianity.

the Magisterium (the teaching authority of the Church) is the final authority on the interpretation of Scripture and Tradition.

Indeed. The point was though, that that authority is granted the Magesterium by you. Making you the ultimate authority for what you believe.

Like, if you, like me, didn't grant it authority in matters of the faith, then it would have none. None that can be demonstrated in any case

Same thing if you grant one of the 20 squillion Protestant denominations authority over you on matters faith

Or decide not to grant authority to any authority and make up your own mind.

Messy, I know, but it can't be helped. You're on your own, even if part of a crowd.

The Church interprets authoritatively through defining Dogmas of the Faith. An example of this is the Eucharist being the real Body of Christ (not in any figurative sense, but really and truly the body of Our Saviour).

Catholics who vocally disagree with these definitions are in danger of automatic (latinae sententiae) excommunication (this will apply if certain conditions are met, as determined by Canon Law). So no, everyone cannot be their own Pope and remain a Catholic (if that is what you meant, I wasn't clear :)).

An example of your own authority to remove the authority of the Magisterium over you. You would see the authority kicking you out. But only because you first expressed your authority to differ.

In which case so what if your kicked out. By someone who you grant no authority over you??
    This is because, as a Church, you cannot lay claim to holding the One True Faith and at the same time allow for a multiplicity of beliefs on essential issues. This is illogical.

It isn't so difficult if you don't suppose yourself as having the last word. You might learn something, for instance.

I appreciate the Magisteriums view. But seeing as I haven't granted it an authoritative voice, I can decide that view erroneous.

And you can decide it non erroneous. We are each the authority.

Additionally, the Bible cannot interpret itself, therefore it cannot be its own final authority./quote]

Since we are both our own authority we are each our own interpreters. Now you can decide to cook for yourself or farm out the work and get a takeaway. But what nutrition we put into our bodies is our own choice.

“He who hears you hears Me, and he who rejects you rejects Me, and he who rejects Me rejects Him who sent Me.” (Lk 10:16)

Here, Christ explicitly identifies himself with the Apostles: this identification is so complete that accepting or rejecting the Apostles is the same as accepting or rejecting Christ. Catholic Bishops are successors of the Apostles ie. you can trace their chain of consecration all the way to the Apostles.

All this rests on your having granted the Magisterium the authority to tell you hoe it all stitches together.

Once you start with the bible itself and itself alone, those arguments fall asunder. Only the authority granted to the Magisterium binds things together. Apostolic sucession from a verse. A huge doctrine. From a verse? Not possible. Well if that possible and permissible then just about anything else too.

If you strip back the boiler plate stuff, the stuff which is assumed without evidence, there is very little upon which the Magisterium stands.

I can appreciate a system constructed with a verse left hanging over the door which is said to encompass it. But that verse isn't sufficient to ground the structure. You can't pull a massive church out of a hat with 'on this rock'. Not a chance..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

We cannot talk about God except through faith and revelation.
    We can't scientifically prove or disprove the existence of God.
    No atheist can say with absolute certainty God does not exist.
    The possibility exists and that fear and awe is what people call fear of the Lord.
    I would be 99% an atheist but that 1% remains and it is an awesome concept.

the Magisterium (the teaching authority of the Church) is the final authority on the interpretation of Scripture and Tradition.

Indeed. The point was though, that that authority is granted the Magesterium by you. Making you the ultimate authority for what you believe.

Like, if you, like me, didn't grant it authority in matters of the faith, then it would have none. None that can be demonstrated in any case

Same thing if you grant one of the 20 squillion Protestant denominations authority over you on matters faith

Or decide not to grant authority to any authority and make up your own mind.

Messy, I know, but it can't be helped. You're on your own, even if part of a crowd.

The Church interprets authoritatively through defining Dogmas of the Faith. An example of this is the Eucharist being the real Body of Christ (not in any figurative sense, but really and truly the body of Our Saviour).

An example of your own authority to remove the authority of the Magisterium over you. You would see the authority kicking you out. But only because you first expressed your authority to differ.

In which case so what if your kicked out. By someone who you grant no authority over you??

It isn't so difficult if you don't suppose yourself as having the last word. You might learn something, for instance.

I appreciate the Magisteriums view. But seeing as I haven't granted it an authoritative voice, I can decide that view erroneous.

And you can decide it non erroneous. We are each the authority.

Additionally, the Bible cannot interpret itself, therefore it cannot be its own final authority./quote]

Since we are both our own authority we are each our own interpreters. Now you can decide to cook for yourself or farm out the work and get a takeaway. But what nutrition we put into our bodies is our own choice.

All this rests on your having granted the Magisterium the authority to tell you how it all stitches together.

I mean, how do you get to the idea of tracing bishops all the way back to the apostles without the a priori idea that there's such a thing as apostolic succession. If there is then perhaps, if there isn't such a thing then all the tracing is worthless.

How to decide, other than taking it on Authority? I mean, we can't take on mere Authority when we are questioning whether there is an Authority..

Set aside 'because the Church says so and its the Authority" then whats left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

I found Bart Ehrman's Lost Christianities made for some good reading on proto-Christianity and how the canonical New Testament was formed. From my reading there was a very broad range of conflicting beliefs during the early stages of Christianity.

Yeah, he writes some interesting stuff but as an agnostic atheist he may just have an agenda? ;)

I think you're right about there being lots of conflicting beliefs, but there are a couple of things that spring to mind. First is that there are lots of areas of difference where we have freedom of conscience. An obvious one is the subtle differences between Jewish and Gentile Christians in the early church - culturally they were very different. I'm sure the church in Jerusalem would have had a very different feel to say Philippi or Corinth. Another is the teaching on eating meat sacrificed to pagan idols. Some Christians could do that happily, knowing that the idol is not real while others could not (especially those who came out of a pagan background).

The second thing to bear in mind is that error and false teaching have been a constant presence since New Testament times; the NT books talk about Judaisers (those who maintained that Christians had to keep to the OT ceremonial law, be circumcised etc. as prerequisites to salvation) and Gnosticism (secret knowledge and further revelation), and many of the NT letters mention false teaching of one sort or another.

In deciding if a teaching is false or true, we need to weigh and assess it against some higher authority. Depending on which branch of Christianity you're coming out of that could be scripture, church teaching, or human reason.

We cannot talk about God except through faith and revelation.
    We can't scientifically prove or disprove the existence of God.
    No atheist can say with absolute certainty God does not exist.
    The possibility exists and that fear and awe is what people call fear of the Lord.
    I would be 99% an atheist but that 1% remains and it is an awesome concept.

Yes, but we are discussing here is whether than concept is a scary thought.

Given the multiple mistakes that God has made that we know of through the bible; the number of restarts, having to sacrifice himself for the chaos that his creation had become, not delivering a message straightforward enough that it didn't need interpretation by self-appointed experts, the death, disease, natural disasters, Nazi's, Stalin, etc etc.

What confidence can one have in such a being that he won't take a dislike to you or loved ones and simply send them to hell out of spite? In fairness, he has deemed that every single person born mut pay the price for the sins of Adam, so it doesn't seem much a stretch to think he would use the same logic to punish all members of a family that let their children turn away from the church for example.

Does he take account of circumstances for example? Does he give a pass to babies that died in the womb, since they never repented are they bound for hell? Does he hold parents reponsible for the actions of their children? Are paedo prients going to hell? Apparently since they believed in Jesus they they go to heaven. Do the abused go to heaven? To meet up with the person that abused them?

I have no idea of the answers, but I do know that the simple refrain of belief in Jesus to get to heaven leaves so many questions as to be almost more worrying that the thought of their being nothing.

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Yeah, he writes some interesting stuff but as an agnostic atheist he may just have an agenda? ;)

No doubt, though you could say the same for any biblical scholar who is vocally theistic. In either case, it is effectively an ad hominem as it is attacking the person's work through their personal beliefs.

Personally I find Ehrman very readable and his academic credentials in this area would appear to be excellent.

Given the multiple mistakes that God has made that we know of through the bible; the number of restarts, having to sacrifice himself for the chaos that his creation had become, not delivering a message straightforward enough that it didn't need interpretation by self-appointed experts, the death, disease, natural disasters, Nazi's, Stalin, etc etc.

What confidence can one have in such a being that he won't take a dislike to you or loved ones and simply send them to hell out of spite? In fairness, he has deemed that every single person born mut pay the price for the sins of Adam, so it doesn't seem much a stretch to think he would use the same logic to punish all members of a family that let their children turn away from the church for example.

Does he take account of circumstances for example? Does he give a pass to babies that died in the womb, since they never repented are they bound for hell? Does he hold parents reponsible for the actions of their children? Are paedo prients going to hell? Apparently since they believed in Jesus they they go to heaven. Do the abused go to heaven? To meet up with the person that abused them?

I have no idea of the answers, but I do know that the simple refrain of belief in Jesus to get to heaven leaves so many questions as to be almost more worrying that the thought of their being nothing.

I'm not sure that giving a person a choice whether they want to exist (or not) as you intended them to exist (under your fathership) is a mistake.

You might say it is a necessity if robots is to be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

We can't say anything definitive about God. There's zero evidence for anything in the Bible or any other religious book.
    We cannot know anything about God not even existence of God.
    We just have a strong suspicion that an entity created everything and controls everything and that whatever it maybe is benevolent and looks out for us.
    That's all.

No doubt, though you could say the same for any biblical scholar who is vocally theistic. In either case, it is effectively an ad hominem as it is attacking the person's work through their personal beliefs.

For sure, I don't mean it as an attack on Ehrman but rather that everyone brings their presuppositions with them and that inevitably influences their conclusions. It would be a remarkable if an atheist scholar like Ehrman concluded that scripture was the living and inerrant word of God!

I also don't think it's possible to completely separate the work and the personal beliefs in this instance - the content of biblical scholarship is intrinsically linked to matters of personal belief.
    Personally I find Ehrman very readable and his academic credentials in this area would appear to be excellent.

Agreed, and me saying that I disagree with his conclusions in no way implies that I think that the questions he asks aren't valid. They absolutely are, and are important for people like me to engage with - our faith isn't up to much if it can't stand up to scrutiny, or answer difficult and awkward questions.

I also don't think it's possible to completely separate the work and the personal beliefs in this instance - the content of biblical scholarship is intrinsically linked to matters of personal belief.

Wouldn't the exact hold true of both the people that wrote the bibles and those that complied in into what we understand it today?

Wouldn't the exact hold true of both the people that wrote the bibles and those that complied in into what we understand it today?

I'd want to draw a distinction between books about the bible and the bible itself. Books about the bible, theology, commentaries etc. have purely human authorship, and are subject to error, the biases of the author, and so on.

The bible has both human and divine authorship as it is God's word and revelation of himself, mediated through human authors. So, the biblical books reflect the personality and background of the people who wrote them, but this process was also supernaturally controlled by the Holy Spirit. This ensured that the bible is both inerrant, and a true revelation of God that tells us what we need to know for salvation.

Of course, the above reflects my traditional / orthodox belief in the inerrancy, authority and sufficiency of scripture. Those with a different view of scripture would obviously take a different view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For sure, I don't mean it as an attack on Ehrman but rather that everyone brings their presuppositions with them and that inevitably influences their conclusions. It would be a remarkable if an atheist scholar like Ehrman concluded that scripture was the living and inerrant word of God!

Claiming he was prejudiced because of the conclusions he came to as a result of his studies is quite a thing...

Ehrman was a fundamentalist Christian and began his biblical studies believing in biblical inerrancy.

Wikipedia wrote:
    In Misquoting Jesus Ehrman tells how he was a born-again, fundamentalist Christian as a teenager.[1][4] He recounts being certain in his youthful enthusiasm that God had inspired the wording of the Bible and protected its texts from all error.[1][4] His desire to understand the original words of the Bible led him to the study of ancient languages, particularly Koine Greek, and to textual criticism. During his graduate studies, however, he became convinced that there are contradictions and discrepancies in the biblical manuscripts that could not be harmonized or reconciled.

Scrap the cap!

I'd want to draw a distinction between books about the bible and the bible itself. Books about the bible, theology, commentaries etc. have purely human authorship, and are subject to error, the biases of the author, and so on.

The bible has both human and divine authorship as it is God's word and revelation of himself, mediated through human authors. So, the biblical books reflect the personality and background of the people who wrote them, but this process was also supernaturally controlled by the Holy Spirit. This ensured that the bible is both inerrant, and a true revelation of God that tells us what we need to know for salvation.

Of course, the above reflects my traditional / orthodox belief in the inerrancy, authority and sufficiency of scripture. Those with a different view of scripture would obviously take a different view.

Regardless of ones belief as to the divine nature, or otherwise, of the collection of recollections that we commonly understand to be the Bible, that is an argument for another thread.

But one thing that is clear from the bible is that God has had to rectify his mistakes. Be it having to flood the entire world because sin had got out of hand, be it the destruction of Soddam & Gomorrah, be it having to sacrifice his own son to cast away the sins of man. There are multiple instances of God having to take action to correct something that has happened.

It is also true that God has carried the responsibility of Adams sin to each and every person that is born, so we know that he is not a particularly forgiving (at least as we would understand it) God.

So, does having a god like that bring a sense of fear? I would argue that absolutely it does. An all-powerful being that can make and amend the rules whenever and for any reason that he wishes? That holds grudges, that looks to test people and trick them into sin. The example of the Pharaoh, were he actively hardened his heart and then lay plagues on the entire populace for something he forced the pharaoh to do? Does that sound like a reasonable god?

So how can we be sure that such a god will give us a fair hearing when we die? Will we be held accountable for our families sins, or countrymen, or maybe just any person in the world? Are only those than fully believe in Jesus, that stay celibate, that never sin, that never lust or think bad thoughts?

There is a vagueness in the rules. Belief in Jesus is the usual refrain. But what does that mean? Many people do horrible things in the name of Jesus (in their own minds), so does that mean they get to heaven? Some people do amazingly kind things but happen not to believe, are they cast to hell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

We can't say anything definitive about God. There's zero evidence for anything in the Bible or any other religious book.
    We cannot know anything about God not even existence of God.
    We just have a strong suspicion that an entity created everything and controls everything and that whatever it maybe is benevolent and looks out for us.
    That's all.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry reading this - you speak with such confidence about something you don't seem to have any knowledge at all. There is as much evidence for the existence of God (should you choose to look) as their is for the holocaust - I hope you don't deny this too

Which would seem unavoidable.

How could it be shown that a persons work isn't influenced by their belief.

Which would indicate a belief that academic credentials prevent personal beliefs shaping ones writing.

You can be rigorous in your arriving at the conclusion you want to arrive at.

Ehrman was a fundamentalist Christian and began his biblical studies believing in biblical inerrancy.

His enquiry leading him to atheism?

And if he started out an unbeliever and became one via rigorous enquiry, say like C.S. Lewis, then what?

We can't say anything definitive about God

I'm not sure it matters whether "we can't". We is everyone on the planet. Or might be some subset of 'we' of your choosing.

The question for me is whether I can. And if I can (and I can) then what matter if 'we' can't?

This statement of yours is another candidate for entry to the 'I say God would be unable to demonstrate His existence to someone' bonkers raving looney School of Thought.

Which would seem unavoidable.

How could it be shown that a persons work isn't influenced by their belief.

It clearly doesn't matter whether someone's work is influenced by their belief, the work stands or falls based on its own merit. What does matter is that those critical of that work base their criticism on the work itself as opposed to their prejudice regarding the author.
    Which would indicate a belief that academic credentials prevent personal beliefs shaping ones writing.

No idea where you're getting that notion. Academics are as prone to bias as anyone else.
    You can be rigorous in your arriving at the conclusion you want to arrive at.

Published academic works however are typically subject to critical scrutiny which would highlight unreasonable bias carried into that work. To publish is to invite criticism and genuinely rigorous methods either eliminate author bias or highlight the flaws. Of course you still get a low quality and dubious work published but it tends to get recognised for what it is, if not immediately, over time.

• Advertisement

It clearly doesn't matter whether someone's work is influenced by their belief, the work stands or falls based on its own merit.]/quote]

So who decides on merit? If you start from naturalistic assumptions for example, the work can have merit, being better than the average work starting from that assumption. Clearly, the person supposing it as having merit would ne starting from the same place.

What does matter is that those critical of that work base their criticism on the work itself as opposed to their prejudice regarding the author.

Dawkins is probably a bad example but his prejudice and woeful understanding of theology make it painful to work through. Whereas others consider his work a contribution, slicing through one holy cow after another.

How does one remove ones own presuppositions. I might read Ehrman and conclude he is a far better read than Dawkins whilst still concluding him blind as a bat.

Published academic works however are typically subject to critical scrutiny which would highlight unreasonable bias carried into that work. To publish is to invite criticism and genuinely rigorous methods either eliminate author bias or highlight the flaws. Of course you still get a low quality and dubious work published but it tends to get recognised for what it is, if not immediately, over time.

I don't think blind people (my starting bias granted) reviewing Erhman renders their conclusion anything other than blind. Peers or otherwise.

Peers review as adding weight to this subject would be a presupppsition of yours.

But surely having something open to review is a better practice at getting a balanced view that demanding that a text is true, because of god, and nothing anybody can ever say or do will change that?

But surely having something open to review is a better practice at getting a balanced view that demanding that a text is true, because of god, and nothing anybody can ever say or do will change that?

How does one achieve this balance? The reviewers are coming at it from their worldview. A believer reviews the Bible and Erhman from their perspective - Ehrman, they conclude, though perhaps stitching his case together somewhat better than say, Dawkins, doesn't alter the review that he is an unbeliever coming to the conclusions his unbelief, surprise, surprise, brings him to.

His starting assumptions sets him off on a path and he arrives at a not unsurprising destination.

-

There is no demand that you, an unbeliever, consider the bible as the word of God. To demand that would demand of you that you be a believer.

The Bible as God's word is a starting point for those who want to discuss what it might have to say. That we forward that view as a given isn't a demand that you agree.

So who decides on merit? If you start from naturalistic assumptions for example, the work can have merit, being better than the average work starting from that assumption. Clearly, the person supposing it as having merit would ne starting from the same place.

For academic work, one's peers.
    Dawkins is probably a bad example but his prejudice and woeful understanding of theology make it painful to work through. Whereas others consider his work a contribution, slicing through one holy cow after another.

How does one remove ones own presuppositions. I might read Ehrman and conclude he is a far better read than Dawkins whilst still concluding him blind as a bat.

Dawkins is indeed a bad example if we're talking about theology as Dawkins is not a theologian. Ehrman on the other hand is a biblical scholar and historian and hence well placed to write on this topic.
    I don't think blind people (my starting bias granted) reviewing Erhman renders their conclusion anything other than blind. Peers or otherwise.

Peers review as adding weight to this subject would be a presupppsition of yours.

In what sense would you consider Ehrman blind in the context the history of Christianity? His work focuses on history first and foremost, not theology nor the merits or lack thereof of religious belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don’t believe in god. I think death is the end and there is nothing and that comforts me.

I'm extremely comfortable with the concept of death as a finality.

For academic work, one's peers.

Believing or unbelieving? A certain church leader I know decided to do theology in TCD. Fascinating, he found, but all his lecturers were atheists..

Wouldn't they constitute academic peers?

Dawkins is indeed a bad example if we're talking about theology as Dawkins is not a theologian. Ehrman on the other hand is a biblical scholar and historian and hence well placed to write on this topic.

Well placed, from an unbelieving perspective. How does he treat God of the Bible (old and new) from a historical perspective? Say, Jesus's miracles. Historically, Jesus either performed miracles or he didn't. Presumably Erhman treats them as not occurring and constructs a narrative explaining their being recorded a miracles?

In what sense would you consider Ehrman blind in the context the history of Christianity? His work focuses on history first and foremost, not theology nor the merits or lack thereof of religious belief.

See above.

Theology can be approached atheistically. It can look at the historical development of a religion or how a particular element of the religion works. An atheist could consider the question of salvation and form an opinion on whether salvation is by faith or by works - without believing there is such a thing as salvation. Or it can be approached theistically (what is God saying here: by faith or by works?)

Erhman being blind means he can approach things from the POV that God doesn't exist but still find the development and spread of religion an interesting subject.

But his blindness limits his enquiry, in the event God exists, because he is missing out on a huge contributor to what went on and why it went on.

Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that the development of the Catholic Church has a spiritual root. That Satan, seeking to thwart emerging the momentum of 'by faith 'Christianity assists in redirecting people in the direction of a performance based religion.

He would be a smart operator: better to misdirect the momentum of emerging Christianity down a side path than try to halt it outright. Trying to halt it outright didn't work afterall.

Keep the lie closest to the truth..

Performance based religion suits Satan down to the ground and the greater the spread of such a religion the happier he is. For a person who thinks salvation can be gained by personal performance will be diverted from obtaining the only salvation there is. Which is by faith, we suppose for the sake of argument

Would Erhmans understanding of the historical rise of the Catholic Church consider this? Well, obviously not - his construct would consider geo political and social reasons for the growth of Catholicism. His blindness would confine his scope to that of his worldview.

The more I read posts I realise that you don't understand what you are criticising. The same seems to be true of the position of many atheists in respect to Biblical Christianity. Perhaps that is a bit blunt, but I think it needs to be said directly.

Why? Two reasons. Firstly, it might prompt a more humble response. Secondly, it might cause one to investigate the truth. I hope that will be true for you and for other readers.
    But one thing that is clear from the bible is that God has had to rectify his mistakes. Be it having to flood the entire world because sin had got out of hand, be it the destruction of Soddam & Gomorrah, be it having to sacrifice his own son to cast away the sins of man. There are multiple instances of God having to take action to correct something that has happened.

Of course not. The Bible is pretty clear that it was God's plan from the fullness of time to send Jesus to rescue us from sin:
    In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

Arguably when God provides the ram after He tells Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, He is pointing to the day when He will provide a greater sacrifice in His own Son Jesus. (Genesis 22:13).

God sending His Son is to provide a way of atonement for our sin. Although He would be entirely right to condemn us to hell. He chooses not to. He provides His Son instead. This atonement is for our own sin, which we are entirely responsible for. It requires pretty contorted logic to argue otherwise.

It is also true that God has carried the responsibility of Adams sin to each and every person that is born, so we know that he is not a particularly forgiving (at least as we would understand it) God.
    So, does having a god like that bring a sense of fear? I would argue that absolutely it does. An all-powerful being that can make and amend the rules whenever and for any reason that he wishes? That holds grudges, that looks to test people and trick them into sin. The example of the Pharaoh, were he actively hardened his heart and then lay plagues on the entire populace for something he forced the pharaoh to do? Does that sound like a reasonable god?

Being on the same side with God - I have nothing to fear. Nothing can separate those in Christ:
    For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God gives the Christian confidence in this life that enables them to be more free from fear:
    Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say,“The Lord is my helper;
    I will not fear;
    what can man do to me?”

You're right in one sense, God is genuinely scary for those who continue to oppose Him:

How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

It is definitely a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God in that circumstance. As for me - I have nothing to fear. God promises to help me through my fear. That is part of the good news of Jesus, it means I have God as my friend and not as my judge.
    So how can we be sure that such a god will give us a fair hearing when we die? Will we be held accountable for our families sins, or countrymen, or maybe just any person in the world? Are only those than fully believe in Jesus, that stay celibate, that never sin, that never lust or think bad thoughts?

God has determined the outcome of the hearing. We are guilty (Romans 3:23).

Christianity is unique among world religions in that it says clearly that we've fallen short of God's glory through our sin and we need His grace. We can't work there (Ephesians 2:8-10). We need His mercy.

And that is much better than other world religions, and the atheist worldview actually. God offers us a clean conscience if we turn to Him and trust in Him. He offers us help to live for Him in our daily life.

One of your consistent misunderstandings in your posts is that you seem to think that Christianity is a works based religion rather than being based on grace.

Other religions say you need to do X, Y and Z to be right with God.
    Christianity says we are guilty, but we can turn to Christ and God will help us to live for Him.
    There is a vagueness in the rules. Belief in Jesus is the usual refrain. But what does that mean? Many people do horrible things in the name of Jesus (in their own minds), so does that mean they get to heaven? Some people do amazingly kind things but happen not to believe, are they cast to hell?

Christianity is pretty clear that it is a grace based religion. It isn't about rules primarily. If we try the rules based approach we are guilty because we've sinned against God. It is a dead end (Romans 3:23 again). You seem pretty keen that we should try it though for some reason.

In our youth group we were looking at Galatians the other week, and there was a striking passage in it (chapter 5 on the bottom). Galatians is all about people trying to justify themselves according to the law, and Paul tells them if you want to be justified by the law you make the cross meaningless.

The cross is only meaningful if we need it for our salvation:
    I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

You're stuck in the mode of Do X, Y and Z to be right with God. The Christian life starts after we are right with God, not before. You're stuck before the cross because you want to try justify yourself without Jesus. Christianity doesn't entertain that idea. To get into the heart of Christianity you need to accept that you've sinned against God and need His mercy. If you're not there, you won't get it, and it is clear that you don't. (Blunt I appreciate, but it needs to be said).

The God of the Bible says "You are saved through the cross already, come to me, follow me and I will help you live for me". We follow God, not because we're afraid of being thrown into hell, but because we love Him.

Christianity is more about the heart than it is about following rules. We do what God commands us because we love Him.
    For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another.
    But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

The Christian starts with freedom. Freedom from judgement, freedom from being chained to the law. What's left then? Christianity is about the heart.

In the passage above. God gives us two ways to walk. One leads to destruction. Following your own desires leads to the selfish works of the flesh. If we follow the Spirit, we will seek godly characteristics and they are fruits. They grow within us if we follow Christ in the same way as an apple tree grows in my garden if I plant a seed. The more I love God and His word, the more you will see these fruits in my life, and in the life of others.

So Christianity isn't about rules, it is about mercy, grace and forgiveness. If you are stuck before the cross, you will never understand Christianity. In order to understand Christianity, you need to recognise that you're a sinner in need of a Saviour. Until you do that you've not even started to understand it.

Well placed, from an unbelieving perspective. How does he treat God of the Bible (old and new) from a historical perspective? Say, Jesus's miracles. Historically, Jesus either performed miracles or he didn't. Presumably Erhman treats them as not occurring and constructs a narrative explaining their being recorded a miracles?

You appear to be making uneducated presumptions. I'd suggest reading Ehrman before commenting on his narrative.
    Theology can be approached atheistically. It can look at the historical development of a religion or how a particular element of the religion works. An atheist could consider the question of salvation and form an opinion on whether salvation is by faith or by works - without believing there is such a thing as salvation. Or it can be approached theistically (what is God saying here: by faith or by works?)

Erhman being blind means he can approach things from the POV that God doesn't exist but still find the development and spread of religion an interesting subject.

But his blindness limits his enquiry, in the event God exists, because he is missing out on a huge contributor to what went on and why it went on.

Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that the development of the Catholic Church has a spiritual root. That Satan, seeking to thwart emerging the momentum of 'by faith 'Christianity assists in redirecting people in the direction of a performance based religion.

He would be a smart operator: better to misdirect the momentum of emerging Christianity down a side path than try to halt it outright. Trying to halt it outright didn't work afterall.

Keep the lie closest to the truth..

Performance based religion suits Satan down to the ground and the greater the spread of such a religion the happier he is. For a person who thinks salvation can be gained by personal performance will be diverted from obtaining the only salvation there is. Which is by faith, we suppose for the sake of argument

Would Erhmans understanding of the historical rise of the Catholic Church consider this? Well, obviously not - his construct would consider geo political and social reasons for the growth of Catholicism. His blindness would confine his scope to that of his worldview.

Again you seem to be engaging in uniformed speculation. What I've read of his work deals with history, not theology. I've seen nothing in what I've read of his that comments on faith or the merits of religious belief. To suppose that to study of the history of a religion demands being a member of that religion seems entirely specious.

Claiming he was prejudiced because of the conclusions he came to as a result of his studies is quite a thing...

No, as others have said in this thread his prejudice (and we all have them) predisposes him to certain conclusions. I really struggle to see how that is a controversial point. When approaching matters of faith, our faith (or lack thereof) is going to have an influence on us. Shocker! ;)

As to his former belief, all I can say is that people are complex beings and can gain or lose faith for any number of reasons. Plenty of people look at the evidence and move from unbelief to belief - so while it's interesting on a personal level, I don't think it helps us move this conversation forward.

The more I read posts I realise that you don't understand what you are criticising. The same seems to be true of the position of many atheists in respect to Biblical Christianity. Perhaps that is a bit blunt, but I think it needs to be said directly.

You continually reply to my posts with a theme similar to this. That I don't understand the bible, that I need to read it correctly. What gives you the idea that your interpretation of the text is correct?

If god has one major failing, it is his inability to provide a text that was not open to such widespread interpretation. Interpretation that has lead to countless branches within the chistian community such that there is no single accepted version of the 'Truth' as you like to claim it.

If you believe that God had always intended to send Jesus down to save us, then one must accept that god always planned that Adam would sin, that the murder of all living things in the flood would not solve the problems.

So it wasn't a bug in the system, it was the purpose of the system. God intended every single person to have to suffer for the 'sin' of Adam, even though it was a sin that God had prearranged to happen.

That although he had the power to defeat death at any point, which he proved with Lazarus, he choose not to and instead to sacrifice himself so that nothing in particular would change for anybody at all. But hopefully, after a few hundred years, perhaps the Romans would decide to follow this particular religion and look to spread it word. What happened to all the people that died between the time of Jesus' death and the Romans declaring the faith valid is unknown. But I assume they went to hell for not believing in Jesus.

So should we be scared of god? Yes, even by you own beliefs it is a god that has planned to make each and every one of us suffer based on the sin of someone else, a sin that he preordaned was going to happen so that he could come down and be the saviour for a problem that he created.

Except he wasn't a saviour, at least not in this life. So suffering continues. Famine, desease, natural disasters, fear, hate, rape, torture, dementia, cancer, Covid etc etc. These are all parts of God's plan for us in this life.

And you happen to believe that should we live by his rules, then he will, although he has been less than clear about the actual levels he expects, will then give you heaven. But you have only the word of the very person that created the suffering in the first place. I asked you previously what was going to happen to my parents, which you avoided answering on the basis that you didn't know them. Of course you don't know them, but if the rules were clear you wouldn't need to. And therein lies the problem. We just don't know, we can't know. You think you know, based on your reading and your belief. But you must be able to acknowledge that you can't know for certain, as there is simply no way of knowing.
    Being on the same side with God - I have nothing to fear. Nothing can separate those in Christ:

I'm pretty sure Adam and Eve felt the same way!

• Advertisement
Advertisement