Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think life is as fun for an introvert?

• 02-10-2020 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Discuss

BRB can't organise impromptu dates
    BRB find social interactions jarring even tho idea of them seems good
    BRB never really getting to know people

Introversion is good but life seems funner as an extro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Discuss

They probably wont meet as many a$$holes though which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Yes.

I'm an introvert. Other people annoy me greatly and there is nothing I enjoy more than pursuing my hobbies alone.

TBH, everyone else can f*ck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

Discuss

The above is not really true. I think you are describing people on the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

jackboy wrote: »
    The above is not really true. I think you are describing people on the spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

What does BRB mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

No

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Discuss

I'm an introvert and have no problems with any of this. I prefer to schedule things as much as possible and can't stand the flakey stuff. Do it or don't!

Reasons i don't get to know people are either 1 of 2, their assholes or I've never met them. :D

Life’s only funner being an extro if your naturally that way inclined I’d imagine..Other wise it would be tedious and not very enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Discuss

I'm an introvert. None of the above is an issue for me.

Tbf I'd be happier at home on the couch than out in a mad social situation. That still does't stop me going on dates or having fluent chats with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

What does BRB mean?

Big red butt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

What's with this 'BRB' shit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

they are all single

live with.parents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    they are all single

live with.parents

Not all of us! Well, I am, but I'm not all of us.

I used to be an extrovert, and due to humanity in general I've turned into an introvert and I'm much happier in my life. People suck, and you don't need a large amount of "friends" or social activities to enjoy life. It's a myth which is constantly spouted by those who think they know how everyone else should feel.

As long as you're happy, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hell is other people. L'enfer c'est les autres, JP Sarte. Discuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It can be painfully lonely, but I am who I am

Yeah, I used to be reasonably social until my social circle was kind of invaded by the bad kind of extroverts.. I've somewhat receded from society..

Introverts like myself cope far better with lockdowns. But extros may find it difficult.

A hell of a lot of people who post on discussion boards are loners and enjoy the interraction without having to physically do it.

We are all diiferent, but I am happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Discuss

Isn't the whole point of an introvert meaning you make your own fun......

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It can be painfully lonely, but I am who I am

At the beginning of my introversion, I used to think the same. But if I think back enough, even surrounded by "friends" and being social, I was even more painfully lonely, especially at the end of the night when everyone went home with their significant others and I went home to a bad idea bottle of rum (which seemed the best idea at the time... ugh).

At the beginning of my introversion, I used to think the same. But if I think back enough, even surrounded by "friends" and being social, I was even more painfully lonely, especially at the end of the night when everyone went home with their significant others and I went home to a bad idea bottle of rum (which seemed the best idea at the time... ugh).

Had to give up drinking myself, dangerous stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept, The Architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I only need my siblings and my Wife and two daughters in my life to be happy.
    I can honestly say I wouldn't miss anyone else in this world if I never saw them or spoke to them again.
    Also, hand on heart the so called "Lockdown" this year hardly affected me at all.
    I just don't "do" other people
    Extreme introvert here and enjoy being one.
    My idea of Hell is large gatherings of people and have to make small talk and keep up conversations about meaningless sh!t that I have no interest in.
    Weddings are especially trying for me.
    Lighthouse keeper my dream job ha ha

Steve F wrote: »
    I only need my siblings and my Wife and two daughters in my life to be happy.
    I can honestly say I wouldn't miss anyone else in this world if I never saw them or spoke to them again.
    Also, hand on heart the so called "Lockdown" this year hardly affected me at all.
    I just don't "do" other people
    Extreme introvert here and enjoy being one.
    My idea of Hell is large gatherings of people and have to make small talk and keep up conversations about meaningless sh!t that I have no interest in.
    Weddings are especially trying for me.
    Lighthouse keeper my dream job ha ha

I could have written this post about myself. Glad I am not alone. I am quite sociable and have a good sense of humour, but in small doses please!

Don't get me wrong I enjoy gatherings, but not for hours and hours and hours of shyte talk as you say. We do have to play the game now and then, but it is a lot easier now with lockdown. Sorry all you extros!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Had to give up drinking myself, dangerous stuff

Best decision I ever made I reckon. Mind, I replaced it with weed, but that works far better for me. At least I can still adult when needed.

I could have written this post about myself. Glad I am not alone. I am quite sociable and have a good sense of humour, but in small doses please!

Don't get me wrong I enjoy gatherings, but not for hours and hours and hours of shyte talk as you say. We do have to play the game now and then, but it is a lot easier now with lockdown. Sorry all you extros!

I know what you mean about playing the game yes,there are times when being sociable is unavoidable,but I am always relieved when it over.As you said Covid19 has made it "easier"
    Do I see myself as "odd" or "strange"? Frankly no.
    I sometimes think other people doing all the same things as each other are the odd and strange ones.
    Doing something because it's expected of them.
    Just like Sheep 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'm an introvert and it's not true that one doesn't get to know people well. In fact, I'd say the small number of people I've gotten to know, I got to know them extremely well.

Don't like mixing with strangers, like at a house party, but if I already know people it's less of an issue.

Definitely not the life and soul of a party, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

What does BRB mean?

Boyd Richard Barrett

When I hear people going on about physical distancing and not being able to socialize I smile to myself and think "Well I've managed it quite easily for 57 years" 😄

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I'm an introvert and it's not true that one doesn't get to know people well. In fact, I'd say the small number of people I've gotten to know, I got to know them extremely well.

Don't like mixing with strangers, like at a house party, but if I already know people it's less of an issue.

Definitely not the life and soul of a party, though.

Quality of friends more important than quantity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Discuss

You keep saying BRB, but....
    dGMazIz.png

I'll Be Right Back...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Discuss

Why is Be Right Back so controversial now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Introverts like myself cope far better with lockdowns. But extros may find it difficult.

A hell of a lot of people who post on discussion boards are loners and enjoy the interraction without having to physically do it.

We are all diiferent, but I am happy.

I’m in between. As in I’m genuinely extremely picky who I accept into my trusted circle or circle of friends, I gots burned by a couple of good friends in my teens... I don’t have a massive need for 24 hour human contact in fact I find anyone who does to be weird. My friends now may not number many but you could rely on them, bet the house on them not to fûck me or anybody over, they will watch my back as i theirs.

I’ve coped grand with lockdown, my Dad, an outright extravert has not. His head is melted without his friends and family meetups. I don’t think that’s a great way to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

They live sad introverted lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Social distancing and working from home are an introverts dream. Continue on like this forever please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Ah,I'll tell ya, as an introvert and former weak kid, I have several close friends who are absolute gold dust and they have got me out of my shell and I enjoy life much more. I'm married with two wonderful daughters and a fantastic wife but there are times when I want to be on my own and there are other times when I want to be surrounded. I went through a period when I was deeply alone, after a breakup and it was a corner of hell. I have also had other incidents in my life that shook me to the core and quite simply,good friends got me through. Company is ultimately better than solitude. Loneliness is a deep,deep ballache of the worst kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

some of that unwillingness to deal with people is snobbery and contempt. I knew a woman who worked in retail and she basically hated people and would treat the person walking in form the street in such a shabby fashion. She worked in one of the high end shops in Grafton street and people thought being treated in such an offhand manner was normal for G Street. She kept getting sacked from retail shops until her parents took her aside and made it clear that the money stream from home was going to run out...she, in fairness,made a strenuous effort to deal with customers properly but, fundamentally, she hated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭zuhuraswa

Stovepipe wrote:
    Ah,I'll tell ya, as an introvert and former weak kid, I have several close friends who are absolute gold dust and they have got me out of my shell and I enjoy life much more. I'm married with two wonderful daughters and a fantastic wife but there are times when I want to be on my own and there are other times when I want to be surrounded. I went through a period when I was deeply alone, after a breakup and it was a corner of hell. I have also had other incidents in my life that shook me to the core and quite simply,good friends got me through. Company is ultimately better than solitude. Loneliness is a deep,deep ballache of the worst kind.

I think that's where people go wrong. There's a big difference between being alone and being lonely.
    You can be in a social setting, or even a relationship, yet you are very lonely.
    Most introverts like myself, enjoy our time alone, but by no means lonely.
    If you are alone because you don't have people or friends to hang out with, it doesn't make you an introvert.
    I'm an introvert with friends and colleagues whom I hang out with after work, but I pick and choose this activity in very small and spaced sessions. I'd much prefer doing these activities alone. It's a choice, not that I'm shy, not that I don't have friends, not that I feel lonely. Infact it's the opposite, I'm quite content with my own company. When I want to meet a friend for lunch, I do so. But I can easily (and happily at that) spend all weekend by myself and my hobbies and feel so rejuvenated to deal with colleagues or work or friends or whatever other social interaction is planned for the other week ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    They live sad introverted lives

You sound very threatened or bothered by them. You seem insecure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I remember when I was working for the training department of a multinational, i and others would jump on hot coals to get a trip abroad for work. It was all expenses paid, four star or good three star hotel... Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, London, Rome, Paris, Stockholm... 99% of trips, one week and solo.....

It was my job to organize them, one older guy just HATED the idea, of being sent to Madrid in May, one of the most culturally vibrant and interesting and fun cities...

Flight, food, Hilton / Radisson hotel, entertainment allowance expenses, ALL that and food paid for...

This dude would hate the idea... “can’t stand being away, on my own, away from the guys, I’ll be alone, I don’t know if anybody there”

I and others, would bite your hand off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm very introverted and I live alone. Generally very happy in life with my hobbies and solo travel, gigs etc. 2020 has been very different for me on the last two however.

I'm working from home since March which I enjoy most of the time but sometimes I have to make an effort to get out in order to avoid becoming lonely. Even though office small talk bores me to tears I miss seeing many of my funnier colleagues in person. Phone calls do not cut it!

I have a good but fragmented (most don't know each other) circle of friends but I enjoy meeting new people through group activities; e.g. hiking. I can come out of myself even with strangers if there's a common interest. It's a more superficial connection than that I have with actual friends however. I notice some people love to make themselves seem more popular by talking about how many friends they have (even superficial acquaintances) but to me a friend is a person who knows everything about me (Even where I have buried the bodies! :D) and still likes me!

I detest occasions like weddings and birthday parties but I have no problem giving a presentation to 100+ people for work. I'll jump at the chance to travel for work too (Brussels mostly, but I love beer!).

I'm a little 'odd' certainly but by no means unhappy or not having fun!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Two pages in, and I've no idea what BRB stands for. Are ye all in a club or something?

I even searched for definitions!
    Acronym Definition
    BRB Be Right Back (chat/slang)
    BRB Barbados (ISO Country code)
    BRB Brandenburg
    BRB Birmingham Royal Ballet
    BRB Be Right Back
    BRB Benefits Review Board (US Department of Labor)
    BRB Brienz Rothorn Bahn (Swiss railway)
    BRB British Railways Board
    BRB Bond Review Board (Texas)
    BRB Banque de la République du Burundi (Central Bank of Burundi)
    BRB Bar Room Bar (UK)
    BRB Bathroom Break (chat)
    BRB Big Red Button
    BRB Benelux Research Business
    BRB Biometric Research Branch
    BRB Brigade de Répression du Banditisme (French police)
    BRB Builders Registration Board (AU)
    BRB Buckling-Restrained Brace (engineering)
    BRB Big Red Balls (gaming)
    BRB Brazilian Rainbow Boa (herpetoculture)
    BRB Butler Rogers Baskett Architects
    BRB Bright Red Blood (medical)
    BRB Benzodiazepine Receptor Binding
    BRB Bath Room Break
    BRB Blue Ridge Broadcasting
    BRB Business Research Bureau
    BRB Blue Ridge Boogie
    BRB Busy Rescuing Batman
    BRB Black River Boats
    BRB Baseline Review Board (US Navy)
    BRB Budget Review Board
    BRB Briggs Rainbow Buildings, Inc.
    BRB Biweekly Rate Booklet
    BRB Base Rate Boundary
    BRB Bug Review Board
    BRB Brittany Rolled Baits
    BRB Business Reducing Barriers (UK)
    BRB Big Red Band
    BRB Bernard and Audre Rapoport Building (University of Texas, Austin)
    BRB Bayerische Regionalbahn (German: Bavarian Regional Rail; Bavaria, Germany)
    BRB Bongibault Rénovation Bâtiment (French building renovation company)
    BRB Black Raid Bulls (French airsoft club)
    BRB Batteries de Renseignement de Brigade (French armed forces unit)
    BRB Banco Regional de Brasília SA (Brazilian bank)
    BRB Buried Ruins of Bacaba (gaming, Outwar Zone)
    BRB Baguio Realtors Board (Philippines)

This seems like some clique **** that I'm not up on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

People can be content as introverts.
    They may be happy in their comfort zone but it's always good to challenge yourself and push your boundaries now and again.

I suppose it depends on whether you're an introvert due to confidence, conversation or shyness issues or by choice and happy with your own company.

Also depends on your age. Introverts in their 20s are probably missing out more than middle aged people.

I think most of us are just ignoring BRB, treating it like a - more than anything. To me it means be right back, but that don't make sense, so I'm ignoring it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

What would introverts be missing out on? Overpriced alcohol and people being fake at social gatherings?

Introverts are smart and avoid bulls**t. Yes they probably will never be high up in certain careers but probably wouldn't be interested in those careers anyway.

Introverts are very observant and can see the fakeness of people and have an inward chuckle at it and it's like a radar for knowing who is an ass.

They would also be less prone to mental health problems and suicide.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Discuss

the fact you asked that question with mirth, tells me 1 of 2 things:

not an ounce of empathy

trying to billy big balls

kowloonkev wrote:
    What would introverts be missing out on? Overpriced alcohol and people being fake at social gatherings?

I cannot speak for all introverts, but I would not call extraverts fake, they are also who they are, they're just enjoying themselves in social situations, we all act to some degree, while in such situations
    kowloonkev wrote:
    Introverts are very observant and can see the fakeness of people and have an inward chuckle at it and it's like a radar for knowing who is an ass.

Yes we can be very observant, but the world also needs the extraverts, this does not mean we are superior than others, all humans can be a$$holes at times, including myself, our ego can sometimes get the better of us.
    kowloonkev wrote:

Interesting point, but I'd largely disagree on this one, I suspect we re actually more prone, but it's hard to know for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

It's great being an introvert. You can be riding half of tinder and the wife suspects nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Car buyer.

It's great being an introvert. You can be riding half of tinder and the wife suspects nothing

Or you don't know she suspects

kowloonkev wrote: »

Introverts are smart and avoid bulls**t. Yes they probably will never be high up in certain careers but probably wouldn't be interested in those careers anyway.

Being introverted helps a lot career wise. There is big advantage in not having to be involved in all the social crap, and distilling your interactions with people down to the high yield relationships.
    For example at a work meal doing the extroverted talking to everybody versus spending the majority getting to know the new engineer or scientist.

Car buyer. wrote: »
    Or you don't know she suspects

Either way not blowing up in my introverted face which avoids enotional drama. Benefits of marrying an introvert and only swiping the profiles high on the introversion scale

• Advertisement
Advertisement