Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisocial behaviour

Options
  • 03-10-2020 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I was reading an article on the Clare Champion regarding antisocial behaviour in Clare. I unfortunately have had to put up with this behaviour while Clare County Council basically do nothing about these people.

How rampant is it happening and its about time decent people got together to stop this intimidation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

blowin3 wrote: »
    I was reading an article on the Clare Champion regarding antisocial behaviour in Clare. I unfortunately have had to put up with this behaviour while Clare County Council basically do nothing about these people.

How rampant is it happening and its about time decent people got together to stop this intimidation.

Rampant in Dublin. Very little being done by anyone. Gardaí can only do so much. Courts and judicial system constantly let them down. The amount of grey tracksuit wearing scumbags is growing by the day. No political party willing to do anything. Normal people not willing to do anything because if you touched one these angels you’d end up in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I agree the council say its a Garda issue and the Gardai say its a civil issue go to the council so the circular continues. But people need to stand up to these thugs and demand politicians take note . Just interested to see if many more people in clare have similar issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

blowin3 wrote: »
    I agree the council say its a Garda issue and the Gardai say its a civil issue go to the council so the circular continues. But people need to stand up to these thugs and demand politicians take note . Just interested to see if many more people in clare have similar issues.

Large scale vigilante action cannot be far off, as the authorities just pander to scum that make decent people's lives a misery

I am not advocating violence but I am saying council and landlords should be held to account. They dump these people onto private estates and don't care after that. But i can assure you our friends in the council will make sure they are not living close to them.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So this isn't really about antisocial behavior in general, but people in social housing causing trouble? I don't really see any short term solution. Take example of a young guy, living with his Mrs, and he's going out selling drugs. Drugs are bad. He's in a council semi, but so are his Mrs and kids. Do you turf them all out? Is that fair on the kids? Don't tell me that it's the criminal's fault, when some kid is homeless.

Men with big sticks isn't going to work either. They'll get someone. Someone will be caught on CCTV, or just recognized. We all know what happens to masked vigilantes. They get found out. Now their family is at risk. Or should be turfed out of their own council house, (if in one) I presume?

Education and support services would be a better use of time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

MarkR wrote: »
    So this isn't really about antisocial behavior in general, but people in social housing causing trouble? I don't really see any short term solution. Take example of a young guy, living with his Mrs, and he's going out selling drugs. Drugs are bad. He's in a council semi, but so are his Mrs and kids. Do you turf them all out? Is that fair on the kids? Don't tell me that it's the criminal's fault, when some kid is homeless.

Men with big sticks isn't going to work either. They'll get someone. Someone will be caught on CCTV, or just recognized. We all know what happens to masked vigilantes. They get found out. Now their family is at risk. Or should be turfed out of their own council house, (if in one) I presume?

Education and support services would be a better use of time and money.
    if he going out selling Drugs he should be arrested and im sure the Mrs has a fair idea what he is doing.. most council estates I would imagine have some sort of rules for people living there break the rules and pay the price.. So now you want state to also pay for education and support for drug dealer leaving on reduced rates ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Large scale vigilante action cannot be far off, as the authorities just pander to scum that make decent people's lives a misery

I think you might be right. I envisage groups of men in hi-vis jackets and hurls sorting some of these gobdaws out.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

afro man wrote: »
    if he going out selling Drugs he should be arrested and im sure the Mrs has a fair idea what he is doing.. most council estates I would imagine have some sort of rules for people living there break the rules and pay the price.. So now you want state to also pay for education and support for drug dealer leaving on reduced rates ??

See, you didn't answer the question. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be kicked out. I'm asking about the others in the household who aren't responsible.

Do you kick her out, and the kids? He gets a suspended sentence, and come right back home. What is your solution?

See, you didn't answer the question. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be kicked out. I'm asking about the others in the household who aren't responsible.

Do you kick her out, and the kids? He gets a suspended sentence, and come right back home. What is your solution?

Kick him out lock him up ,, Strip house of all proceeds of crime ,, If wife knows as well kick them all out and put them back on waiting list … if you willing to deal drugs you deserve no Sympathy,, Is he worried about ruining other peoples lives or dealing to their children when he returns to his cosy council house with his wife and family.

Kick him out lock him up ,, Strip house of all proceeds of crime ,, If wife knows as well kick them all out and put them back on waiting list … if you willing to deal drugs you deserve no Sympathy,, Is he worried about ruining other peoples lives or dealing to their children when he returns to his cosy council house with his wife and family.

Again, you seem to be ignoring the part about the kids. What do you do about them? They have to be housed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When people are allocated a council house do they not have to sign a behaviour contract with the council?
    If they do then they should be removed from the house if they break the contract. One warning and out the next time.
    Simple way to solve the issue.

When people are allocated a council house do they not have to sign a behaviour contract with the council?
    If they do then they should be removed from the house if they break the contract. One warning and out the next time.

Yes I'd have no issues with this either as long as it is enforced

Again, you seem to be ignoring the part about the kids. What do you do about them? They have to be housed.

Answer this if father and mother both found guilty of dealing drugs what is your solution..
    If they go to jail I'm sure court would look to get children looked after by parents family members. Worse case they might have to be taken into care.. But as already stated what father or mother would be classed as good parents if they ok with dealing drugs.

Answer this if father and mother both found guilty of dealing drugs what is your solution..
    If they go to jail I'm sure court would look to get children looked after by parents family members. Worse case they might have to be taken into care.. But as already stated what father or mother would be classed as good parents if they ok with dealing drugs.

That's still not answering my example. If they're both in prison, then the kids would go into care. If the mother is still home, you want her and the kids turfed out on the street? I don't think they take kids from parents for being homeless. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I've no love for scumbags, just playing the devil's advocate on a complex issue with no easy solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Because soft touch - bleeding heart Ireland won’t ever ever allow that to happen !!

A lot of the antisocial behavior is not always council owned property.

I know of at least 2 cases in Ennis where the families are on the HAP scheme where the council washes their hands saying its a private property that a landlord is responsible. The landlord basically does noting as he/she is guaranteed payment from the lovely people in HAP the Garda will say its civil. The Rental tenants board will rarly give an evection order against a family especially where children are involved.

The people at fault here in my eyes are the council they just sit back and tick boxes and dont give a damn about home owners in these situations .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What sort of anti social behaviour are we talking about here exactly, and where?

What sort of anti social behaviour are we talking about here exactly, and where?
    All night parties fights intimidation drugs etc. does not always have to be Ennis as HAP will pay out anywhere be it Ennis Ruan Milltown etc. But council wash their hands say talk to land lord who gets paid anyway so most dont give a damn.

I know of at least 2 cases in Ennis that have been going on for over 3 years on a private estate where HAP are paying everyone one wins but the neighbors who are often scared to complain.

Plenty of Anti social behavior out In Shannon the last few days
    cant mention the Community involved or I will get banned
    but shocking carry on at Graveyard entrance and surrounding area .. Think Clare FM Have report on it now

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Advertisement

I've seen the video of the car chase / shooting, as well as the "call out" video afterwards. From the article, and it's pictures, it seems that it may involve some people who have been parked up in the local cemetery for the last month or so.

With guns involved, it's a bit more than antisocial behaviour. From the video, I would hope the gardai are able to identify the vehicle, and those responsible.

I've seen the video of the car chase / shooting, as well as the "call out" video afterwards. From the article, and it's pictures, it seems that it may involve some people who have been parked up in the local cemetery for the last month or so.

With guns involved, it's a bit more than antisocial behaviour. From the video, I would hope the gardai are able to identify the vehicle, and those responsible.

MarkR

you forgot to Mention our Local community who are based at Ballymurtagh they are involved also .its their town after all :D

MarkR

you forgot to Mention our Local community who are based at Ballymurtagh they are involved also .its their town after all :D

I'm only going by what's in the news report. I don't have any information about anyone else's involvement in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Plenty of Anti social behavior out In Shannon the last few days
    cant mention the Community involved or I will get banned
    but shocking carry on at Graveyard entrance and surrounding area .. Think Clare FM Have report on it now

Why can't you mention who is involved. It's travellers who have hitched up blocking the graveyard. It's reported on the town community group on FB that there is a local Guard available for 3 hours each day to accompany people who need to use the graveyard to grieve loved ones.
    That's what it's come to. A guard has to sheparone people because of travellers.
    What are the policitians out there doing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lots of reasons for not mentioning who is involved, the main reason would be discussing an ongoing legal matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Apologies. I didn't appreciate the legal aspect. I'm not aware there's a legal case on it.
    Can anyone post a link?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think it's linked to this case https://www.clareecho.ie/two-arrests-made-following-release-of-firearm-in-shannon/

As a general rule of thumb, if someone is named on another site, it's ok to name them once you reference the other site, boards shouldn't be the first place to name someone.

More fun and games in shannon fast food outlet robbed at knifepoint ... attempted break in near Gaa club..and the suspected person did a runner when car stopped by guards.. but guess what this genius left his child behind in his car ..

Geniuses. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm not as well informed about this as I could be as someone else said the situation is very complex. Evictions are a lot slower in Ireland than in other European countries. If there are so many people in the queue for council accommodation I think the ones who aren't two years in arrears or selling drugs/causing mayhem should get swapped in and replaced with someone else who's contributing properly.

On the other side there's a huge amount of vacant or derelict housing around the country that should be taxed. Private rental market is stupid now we should have rents that are affordable for everybody which we don't due to an artificially created shortfall.

In terms of drug dealing we probably should be looking at ways to decriminalise some of the lighter stuff and put the money back into treatment. Addiction needs to be tackled you're always going to have it and it's just creating a huge market for dealers.

Advertisement