Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisocial behaviour

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'm not as well informed about this as I could be as someone else said the situation is very complex. Evictions are a lot slower in Ireland than in other European countries. If there are so many people in the queue for council accommodation I think the ones who aren't two years in arrears or selling drugs/causing mayhem should get swapped in and replaced with someone else who's contributing properly.

Do you know many (any?) families who would take up residence in a property from which those "selling drugs/causing mayhem" were evicted?
    I think most would refuse such accomodation.
    On the other side there's a huge amount of vacant or derelict housing around the country that should be taxed. Private rental market is stupid now we should have rents that are affordable for everybody which we don't due to an artificially created shortfall.

They are taxed and if disposed of, taxed again.
    'Should have' is just aspirational.
    Would you rent your property for considerably less than the going rate?

In terms of drug dealing we probably should be looking at ways to decriminalise some of the lighter stuff and put the money back into treatment. Addiction needs to be tackled you're always going to have it and it's just creating a huge market for dealers.

There is no need to look far for the ways and means to do this and to study the results of such actions.

We never, ever do things right in this country ....... half arsed attempts at reform and inadequate support afterwards causing failure.

But then we, the citizens, elect these people so we get what we vote for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think I'd take a house if I was on a waiting list for 10 years. Surely of the thousands in those lists someone will take it?

I do rent out my apartment for below the going rent. I've had the tenant for 7 years and 500 euro a month for a 2 bed apartment sounds about right to me.

Maybe people could be better incentivised to refurbish and rent a place out if there are blocks in dublin with 20% occupancy and flipping sites without ever building on them. I've had multiple tenants destroy my place, travellers squatting in there etc. It's a nightmare but I do believe deliberate vacancy is public vandalism. Of course I'd have probably have left it vacant and flipped it at this point if Ennis apartments still weren't less than half their 2006 valuations.

Agreed on the political front. They're just a reflection of our choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I know a property in Ennis that Clare CoCo is paying HAP for. The tenant was found guilty of antisocial behavior by the RTB but no termination order was served. The antisocial behavior is still going on there and also drug dealing also months of rubbish dumped out the back .
    Both the landlord and the council do noting the local politican FG for the area just ignores all communication. So the residents and some are frontline workers basically have no rights just told phone the guards who in fairness do their best. This is a private estate in Ennis town.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

blowin3 wrote: »
    I know a property in Ennis that Clare CoCo is paying HAP for. The tenant was found guilty of antisocial behavior by the RTB but no termination order was served. The antisocial behavior is still going on there and also drug dealing also months of rubbish dumped out the back .
    Both the landlord and the council do noting the local politican FG for the area just ignores all communication. So the residents and some are frontline workers basically have no rights just told phone the guards who in fairness do their best. This is a private estate in Ennis town.

Any other local politicians you can chase up? You can call environmental health to report rubbish dumped like that.

You may have seen this.

https://www.clarecoco.ie/services/housing/social-housing/anti-social-behaviour/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

blowin3 wrote: »

Might be worth asking in the Accommodation & Property forum as well, some of the folks there really know their stuff.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Any other local politicians you can chase up? You can call environmental health to report rubbish dumped like that.

You may have seen this.

https://www.clarecoco.ie/services/housing/social-housing/anti-social-behaviour/
    I spoke to the lady involved.
    She says Clare Coco say its a private house its up to landlord they only pay the HAP payment.
    She said Clare coco environment if it not the front of the house not their problem HSE environment say due to Covid restrictions etc.
    Because they from a certain ethnic background local politicians back off dont want to get involved. She told me one neighbor has been intimidated all summer in her own garden and in town by this family. This is while holding down a job in a hospital .

I don't think bringing travellers into this help. Codewords like "certain minorities" isn't cool or clever.

Written complaints would be best at this stage, if you're not getting help on the phone.

I don't think bringing travellers into this help. Codewords like "certain minorities" isn't cool or clever.

Written complaints would be best at this stage, if you're not getting help on the phone.

Hey Mark I am sure if you lived next to this intemadtion its not cool or clever either. If I said an Ennis family of social economic background would that be ok. Its sicking that the protection these people get as I said Garda politicians and the paymaster Clare COCO no one cares. But I tell you something Mark this lady saw 3 of her clients die from Covid this week and is dealing with another 7 that are on a very sorry state. These are mother fathers grandfathers etc of Clare people and she puts her life on the line to try protect them. Than her neighbors who never have or will contribute to society party and have people coming and going from the house with no regard for Covid or regulations.

Than you tell this lady to phone or write she has done it all that Mark she even spent 2 days in a RTB tribunal where this family were found guilty of antisocial behavior but they are still there WHY I ask. The reason being no one wants to take them on am I angry yes I am Mark. This lady is a very good meek person and does not deserve to live or be treated like this in her own home which she has bought out of her hard earned money . Sorry for rant Mark I will prob get banned for this but do I care.

Doesn't help who?

Perpertrators?
    Victims?
    Reader?

I would certainly expect it to be acceptable to state the general area of residence of perpetrators.
    Oh yeah ..... they do not have any fixed address. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should use the term 'of no fixed abode' in place of 'travellers'.

Doesn't help who?

Perpertrators?
    Victims?
    Reader?

I would certainly expect it to be acceptable to state the general area of residence of perpetrators.

It's more anti traveller bias. It's not allowed here. Please don't post about it again.

• Advertisement

My post was not anti-traveller, but most definitely was anti 'anti-social-behaviour'.

If those perpetrators were from any housing estate in any town then their location would be used to call them out without naming them.

Why should they not be called out in this case?
    Because they have no fixed abode?

You can misinterpret my post in any way you wish, but my attitude is consistent regardless race, colour, creed or any other designation you care to mention.
    Scrots are scrots regardless the designation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Doesn't help who?

Perpertrators?
    Victims?
    Reader?

Travellers are a ethnic minority in Ireland so using any term to identify a minority would be considered racist which is against the rules of boards.ie so it cannot happen. If you don't like it I'd suggest bring the discussion to the main feedback forum or to your elective representatives, this isn't a mods issue but anyone that does bring ethnic/racial backgrounds into a discussion will have the ability to post removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Clareman wrote: »
    Travellers are a ethnic minority in Ireland so using any term to identify a minority would be considered racist which is against the rules of boards.ie so it cannot happen. If you don't like it I'd suggest bring the discussion to the main feedback forum or to your elective representatives, this isn't a mods issue but anyone that does bring ethnic/racial backgrounds into a discussion will have the ability to post removed.
    Clareman

Would the Protestant community not fall under Ethnic minority Banner also
    You just cant label one Community with the term.

afro man wrote: »
    Clareman

Would the Protestant community not fall under Ethnic minority Banner also
    You just cant label one Community with the term.

That would be religion rather than ethnic group.

I didn't "label" the group, Enda Kenny did so it's outside my control completely but I have to act on it if anyone posts outside the guidelines.

Advertisement