Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Added GPU power extension cable, now no signal

Options
  • 03-10-2020 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Not sure if right forum, feel free to move.

I added two gpu power extension cables. The pretty braided white ones to match the black and white theme of the build, and now I'm getting no signal from the GPU.

Specs: B450 Tomahawk Max, R5 3600 CPU, Radeon 5700XT GPU, Corsair RM650X PSU.

This 5700xt needs one 8 pin and one 6 pin power connectors. Before I added the extension cables, it's been working fine for nearly a year.

Added the extension cables, powered on, no signal to monitor.

-Removed the extension cables and wired back original way, no joy.
    -Tried another DP cable just in case, no joy.
    -Tried one of the other DP ports on the card.
    -Tried the HDMI port, nothing.
    -Tried connecting it to another monitor, same. Monitors don't detect anything.
    -Reseated GPU, tried it in other PCIE slot.
    -Reseated RAM, reseated CMOS batt, nothing.
    -PSU came with a spare power connector so replaced this. This is one cable coming from the PSU, split into two parts (6+2 and 6+2 ends). One of the 6+2s is joined to make an 8-pin and the other 6-pin is used.
    -Attached mobo speaker, no beeping from that.
    -All case fans spin as normal, as does the GPU fan and radeon logo lights up.

Only other thing I noticed was the USB ports don't seem to work either. No power to the mouse or keyboard.

Any ideas? My suspicion is I've shorted something somehow and the mobo is maybe now goosed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Where did you get the extension cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Montgomerie

On Amazon. I can post the exact ones if needed.

I used the 8 pin one on my last build as that's all my previous GPU needed. And it worked fine.

The 24 pin mobo, and 8 pin cpu also have the same brand extension cables which have worked fine all along for me.

On Amazon. I can post the exact ones if needed.

I used the 8 pin one on my last build as that's all my previous GPU needed. And it worked fine.

The 24 pin mobo, and 8 pin cpu also have the same brand extension cables which have worked fine all along for me.

Yeah provide the link on Amazon.
    Also what make model PSU are you using?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shakmods-Graphics-Heatshrinkless-Sleeved-Extension/dp/B06XGZ67KD/

PSU is a Corsaid RM650X

Don't have a spare GPU. Might need to get my hands on one to test with though.

Whipped out some of the parts from my previous build and connected them up on the desk.

Old 550w psu, z77 extreme4 mobo, i5 3570k and plugged the 5700xt in too. I can get into the BIOS screen so presume this means my GPU is okay. That's good news coz it's the most expensive part!

So either the PSU or the mobo on my newer build seems to be the issue.

• Advertisement

That's good news.
    Try the 650w PSU on z77 rather than the 550w on the B450.

Yeah, the 650w works okay with the z77 setup.

Connected the 650w back up to the B450 and made sure to disconnect hard drives, case fans etc. Only the CPU, RAM and GPU were in and it still doesn't give any signal. So issue looks to be motherboard related. Makes sense I guess given the USB ports don't seem to be working either.

Kinda strange though since the only change originally was connecting the extension cable from PSU to GPU. Odd that would that cause a problem with the motherboard :confused:

Time to shop for a replacement so. Might get something with two M2 slots and ditch one of my SSDs. Less cables and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Avoid the Asus Prime X570-P. It's a tempting board for the price (or was) but the physical layout is just plain daft.

Check the insulation on those extensions, if they've caused a short Amazon might be willing to meet some of the cost of a new board.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Avoid the Asus Prime X570-P. It's a tempting board for the price (or was) but the physical layout is just plain daft.

Check the insulation on those extensions, if they've caused a short Amazon might be willing to meet some of the cost of a new board.

"Dispatched from and sold by Shakmods."

Seems like a no there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

It might all be a coincidence so I would RMA the board

• Advertisement
Advertisement