Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cream (Baileys) essence / flavouring - anyone know how to make this?

Options
  • 03-10-2020 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to a mistake when ordering ingredients, I find myself with two Alcotec liqueur base kits, but only enough flavouring (coconut rum) to make one of them. Given the time of year, a flight of fancy took me to try to make a baileys clone with the second, unflavoured liqueur kit.

How would one go about doing this at home, using non-homebrew store ingredients? I know one can buy Irish Cream essence for these kits as well but I've always been a "make as much as you can in your own kitchen for the craic" kind of guy, and had great success earlier this year making a coconut flavouring gel using glycerine and a fresh coconut, to compliment the aforementioned coconut rum essence supplied with the kit.

There are recipes online for homemade Baileys esque drinks, but they seem to focus on things you add to a glass of vodka immediately before drinking to make it Irish cream-esque. Many use fresh milk and other ingredients which I highly doubt would remain fresh if the plan was to bottle them and drink them over the course of several weeks, and obviously as one can store an open bottle of real Irish Cream for a month or so without its flavour degrading, I highly doubt this is how it's done professionally or the only way one could approach doing it at home.

All that being said, has anyone here ever done anything like this and have ye any idea how I might go about it myself? Or even what kind of ingredients I might look into buying just as a starting point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thanks to a mistake when ordering ingredients, I find myself with two Alcotec liqueur base kits, but only enough flavouring (coconut rum) to make one of them. Given the time of year, a flight of fancy took me to try to make a baileys clone with the second, unflavoured liqueur kit.

How would one go about doing this at home, using non-homebrew store ingredients? I know one can buy Irish Cream essence for these kits as well but I've always been a "make as much as you can in your own kitchen for the craic" kind of guy, and had great success earlier this year making a coconut flavouring gel using glycerine and a fresh coconut, to compliment the aforementioned coconut rum essence supplied with the kit.

There are recipes online for homemade Baileys esque drinks, but they seem to focus on things you add to a glass of vodka immediately before drinking to make it Irish cream-esque. Many use fresh milk and other ingredients which I highly doubt would remain fresh if the plan was to bottle them and drink them over the course of several weeks, and obviously as one can store an open bottle of real Irish Cream for a month or so without its flavour degrading, I highly doubt this is how it's done professionally or the only way one could approach doing it at home.

All that being said, has anyone here ever done anything like this and have ye any idea how I might go about it myself? Or even what kind of ingredients I might look into buying just as a starting point?

Bailey's simply has got to be UHT treated in order to stay 'fresh' for so long!

Any recipe I've seen uses condensed milk as well as UHT cream in a 40% ABV whiskey, with other ingredients like caramel, vanilla bean, chocolate sauce added to the mix. Check out a youtube video from Still-It who discussex this and makes one..

Advertisement