Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just had a head scratcher this morning - email from DPD saying "Your parcel is on a van and due for delivery".

Great but I don't have any parcels due from DPD/Amazon?

When I checked the tracking history the package started on the road 21 days ago on the 5th October.

Turns out this was a package I got a refund for 2 weeks ago because it was lost. It initially went to Antrim instead of Waterford but got to Waterford around the same time as I got the refund and then has been scanned multiple times since (26 entries in the tracking history, including several saying "PIN override?"). It even looks like it made it back to the UK after being in Waterford for a while because the 25th entry is "DPD IE UK Inbound".

At least Amazon did specifically say keep the item if it arrives.

Amazons own tracking is up the wall at this stage telling me "Delivery on hold. Delivery attempted 19 October. Unfortunately, DPD wasn't able to complete your delivery and needs additional information to try again. We're sorry for the inconvenience" on the Tracking page and doesn't match up with DPD's own history.

Will be interesting to see what turns up this afternoon - at best its only a set of blades for an electric planer or maybe just an empty envelope?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Back and forths are still going on related to this. The seller is claiming Amazon is responsible and Amazon are claiming the seller is responsible. It's looking like I'll just have to return it and have it shipped again to one of the drop-off locations in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Hi all, i ordered two items from Amazon UK yesterday evening, i thought the delivery would be around sometime next week, i checked the expected delivery date just now and it's December 19th, that's 7 weeks away at the height of the Christmas rush.

I've ordered a few things from Amazon UK before but never had a delivery date anywhere near as long as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Generally items have been coming quicker than ever for me lately however one item last week did state when I was buying that delivery would be Dec 5th. They've since updated that to Nov 15th. It probably depends on when stocks are expected.

If you have a delivery date thats a good thing. Normally you get items well before that. Very rarely do they go beyond that.

However if you have Prime nothing wrong with getting on to CS (I always use Chat) and ask them why you pay for Prime and get such poor service. Assuming the item is showing in stock. If its out of stock then thats more your problem.

• Advertisement

Thanks both, i don't have prime, i checked the items again, one says in stock the other doesn't say if it's in or out of stock but says delivery is on 23 of nov.

A wee update on above query, both items now showing as in stock, the main item i ordered is showing as 2 in stock, the delivery date hasn't changed though.

So now is the time to get on to the CS reps and ask why aren't both being dispatched as they are now both in stock. It costs you nothing other that your time so keep at them. But when the computer says no there is little they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I keep finding power tools, without batteries, sold & fulfilled by Amazon that won't ship to ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭deezell

One UK place I used to buy powertool parts from, well before brexit, stopped shipping to ROI because of fraudulent non delivery. When I rang about my cancelled trivial order for a chainsaw clutch flywheel, they told me ROI packets were being signed for by unknowns at dodgy addresses, then buyer would submit a claim for non delivery. The shop was losing a fortune, delivering chainsaws, impact drills etc to you-know-who.

• Advertisement

One parcel changed from 19th Dec to out for delivery tomorrow, main parcel still down for Dec delivery, tried CS but all i get is pre loaded questions to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I had one parcel delivered this morning after CS said both would be delivered, i got back on to them earlier but got no satisfaction, they just kept saying they apologised for the delay as the item is out of stock, i repeatedly told the CS it is advertised as in stock with 2 available but still got the same answer of it being out of stock, so to save my increasing blood pressure i cancelled the order, the message i got from my cancelation is the item is being prepared for dispatch and cancelation may not be possible, so according to Amazon they're ready to dispatch an item that isn't in stock.

There's nothing unusual in that. I've been told an item is out of stock loads of times including recently. What they actually mean is that its not is stock in a warehouse that they use to send stuff to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Any tricks to getting electrical items delivered from Amazon.de?

Specifically marketplace sellers, I've had 3 orders cancelled recently of the same type of item, apparently it's an issue with shipping a 2 pin plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

I don't see how the plug type would affect shipping? The only thing I can think of is Irish/UK buyers complaining about it being the "wrong" plug type (as if adapters don't exist).

I've bought electrical items a few times from Amazon.de but only sold or fulfilled by Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭deezell

Perhaps the CE regs have tightened to include region specific electrical requirements, such as mains connectors. This might prevent sale of goods with the wrong plug top for the region address, which is potentially a hazard. A lot mains products will come with a set of pin adapters to match your standard plug but an item with a moulded European round pin plug might be considered hazardous to supply to countries with British 3 pin, or other standard, as it invites purchasers to force the connection, or cut the lead.

Its perfectly possible that someone might cut the cable from a euro two pin connection and fit a UK 3 pin, or vice versa, without realising that the moulded plug also contained a power transformer and regulator, and the voltage in the cable is low voltage DC, not mains AC. The result would be a big smokey bang. See this Google Mini plug. Cut this off and fit a European two pin and you'll fry the device.

Another bit of Amazon strangeness.

I wanted a couple of "Really Useful Box" boxes - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VVS7LY/

Thought they were a bit expensive at £9.97 so didn't bother. Came back later determined to find them cheaper and found you can get them direct from Amazon for half that price. If you scroll down a bit on the right it says Other sellers on Amazon. Clicking on that reveals Amazon sell them themselves for £4.50 each but with a minimum order quantity of two. Doh, I want two. That just seems weird to me, headline price double what you can get the same item for by clicking on the side box?

Moral: Always check the Others sellers on Amazon prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've found Mr Price have that range of boxes much cheaper than Amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Just checking again

Items fulfilled (but not sold)by Amazon means no extra charges at door is that definitely correct ?

Yep, if Amazon do the paperwork what you see at the checkout is what you pay. However where Amazon fulfill third party sales you sometimes get anomalies when the UK VAT is taken off and when there are special offers. Just check that at the checkout you are paying listed price minus UK VAT plus Irish VAT. Some items over €150 may have additional duty added at the checkout but I've bought a few items over that and not been hit for any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

This is getting crazy with delivery times from .co.uk.

Amazon.co.uk on prime forecast late next week for delivery.

Amazon.de on langstrecke premium on Thursday this week (2 days).

And I found in most cases, even with the shipping charges it's cheaper on .de too.

So always use something like haggelzone to compare if you want to buy Amazon stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Must be whatever you're buying. My last two orders (not prime) arrived from the UK in 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

.co.uk shows for example for one item that it will be Our fastest delivery Monday, November 14

.de however shows that Our fastest delivery Tomorrow, November 9

Same item and both will come from Dublin (giving it's next day).

I just purchased something from .it which will be here on Wednesday while the co.uk would have been here next Wednesday, and tracking shows that it's dispatched from the UK.

So, either co.uk is artificially increasing their estimates or they are now trying to push customer onto the European sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Pre ordered a book,

It was released today, Amazon yesterday "It will be delivered tomorrow"

Amazon right now "It'll be delivered 9th of December"

and they can't tell me why?

whats the point of taking pre-orders if they won't deliver on time, and won't order sufficient stock in to cover the pre-orders they've taken?

should have just bought it from bookstation!

Post edited by The Continental Op on

• What was original virus problem? How was it identified and dealt with?

In meantime advice would be to change passwords for everything, check bank accounts, anywhere you make transactions.

Presumably this is indeed a valid email from Amazon, check carefully sender ID etc.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

• Advertisement

• Treat that “Amazon” email with the highest degree of suspicion. It’s amazing how legit-appearing things can seem these days.

We’ve all downloaded some dodgy stuff at times, I got adware downloaded alongside other freeware, started siphoning off small amounts of money for a bogus service. Thankfully Bank of Ireland flagged it and re-issuing card.

Advertisement