Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cratloe woods

Options
  • 03-10-2020 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi lads.
    Returning to mountain biking after a long long long hiatus.
    I know of ballyhoura and bike park Ireland which would be reasonably close to me.
    I'm just wondering has anyone biked in cratloe as it is only ten minutes from me.
    I'm thinking of heading to there next week and just wondering if it's worth my while?

Or even know if any other trails near Shannon/Limerick/Ennis?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hi lads.
    I know of ballyhoura and bike park Ireland which would be reasonably close to me.
    I'm just wondering has anyone biked in cratloe as it is only ten minutes from me.
    I'm thinking of heading to there next week and just wondering if it's worth my while?

TIA

A former colleague mountain bikes in Cratloe frequently. Or at least they used to when I knew them.
    I've seen people bike throughout Dromore Woods outside Ennis but it wouldn't be anything like Ballyhoura.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hi lads. Returning to mountain biking after a long long long hiatus. I know of ballyhoura and bike park Ireland which would be reasonably close to me. I'm just wondering has anyone biked in cratloe as it is only ten minutes from me. I'm thinking of heading to there next week and just wondering if it's worth my while?

Bike parks gone btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

The green roads in the Burren are quite impressive, if I had a bike I'd be out on them a lot.

I've walked the green roads a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Hi lads.

TIA

It's worth it that close! I did it back in Feb (only had the bike a few months so wasn't too technical) but had a local from Limerick MTB guide us. About 14km in 2 hrs. Have a look on the segments on Strava and I'd say you'd work it out easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Used to be an nps course in cratloe? Or was that killaloe.

It's a bit winch and plummet but loads of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭boomdocker

saccades wrote: »
    Used to be an nps course in cratloe? Or was that killaloe.

It's a bit winch and plummet but loads of fun.

that was Killaloe, not Cratloe

Rode in Cratloe years ago, lots of XC trails, not sure what the story is now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Google Maps has Cratloe Woods, Cratloe Forest and Cratloe Forest recreation area, if I go to the recreation area will it be obvious where to go on the bike for some trails? Are they marked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Thargor wrote: »
    Google Maps has Cratloe Woods, Cratloe Forest and Cratloe Forest recreation area, if I go to the recreation area will it be obvious where to go on the bike for some trails? Are they marked?

I doubt it. There are no official trails there afaik, so you'll have to follow your nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

No official trails in Cratloe, some are obvious, some not at all. You'll get a 20-25k spin if you do them all.

Biopace wrote: »
    No official trails in Cratloe, some are obvious, some not at all. You'll get a 20-25k spin if you do them all.
    Starting from the recreation area?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cratloe+Forest+Recreation+Area/@52.7031406,-8.7525138,13z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sCratloe+forest!3m4!1s0x0:0xfe651483a0db64a3!8m2!3d52.7077513!4d-8.759644

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No idea as to the accuracy of this. It kinda looks like something that was mapped after a GPS tracked ride.

Don't know if it is signposted in any way but might be a useful reference.

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/cratloe-brickhill/

Lovely thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

No idea as to the accuracy of this. It kinda looks like something that was mapped after a GPS tracked ride.

Don't know if it is signposted in any way but might be a useful reference.

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/cratloe-brickhill/

The grey dotted lines on that map would be most of the trails, some are gone because of felling.

Advertisement