Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house in a new estate today?

Options

Comments

Waste of time worrying about it. Old estate or new build.

I live in a 30 year old settled estate where the council has snapped up every available house that has come up for sale, at least 5 houses on my road.

You've no say in who buys next door to you, whether council or private owner.

So buy where you want to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Waste of time worrying about it. Old estate or new build.

I live in a 30 year old settled estate where the council has snapped up every available house that has come up for sale, at least 5 houses on my road.
    And that's very unfair to young people trying to buy homes, as they cannot compete against the unlimited resources of the council and homeless "charities". I've seen it in a nearby town where young couples with families are forced out of their home town due to the lack of affordable homes into rural areas, only to be replaced by non-EU nationals (refugees etc.) and Irish non-workers getting houses bought up by the council. The working couples then have to drive into town for employment and to bring the children to their schools.
    Not only is this environmentally unsound, but it also plain and simple unfair.

Many people in social housing work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Of course they do. Never said that they did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

That's a myth. and if they do work they don't work enough or don't declare it to Revenue. and if they are part of the small % that actually do work then they should be housing themselves so are actually more scum then those not working while in social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

GarIT wrote: »
    Do you have statistical proof of this ridiculous claim?

Not statistical no but personal. Living in a social affordable estate and never a problem bar one or two families. I'm all for integration as coming from the US iv'e seen how large scale social housing projects work and it's an utter disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

That's a myth. and if they do work they don't work enough or don't declare it to Revenue. and if they are part of the small % that actually do work then they should be housing themselves so are actually more scum then those not working while in social housing.

Sweeping statement there.
    There's a council to our back right.
    Parents and 3 late teens.
    4 working.
    Although the 1 has her own child already

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I think another issue worthy of consideration is that of car parking.

I've heard of some developments allocating 1.25 spaces per housing unit, meaning you're fighting with four other households for the use of a shared space forever.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Absolutely not. I'm sure most people in social housing are the finest, but you don't want a half-a-million euro gamble to find out. And all it takes is one or two families in an estate to bring everything down to their level. It's an uncomfortable discussion that polite society don't want to have.

My own two young lads are in their late teens, so a good few years away from buying a house just yet. I'll do everything in my power to bribe and beg them to purchase in a mature part of east Dublin, preferably on the Dart line, and close to a good fee-paying school.

Not statistical no but personal. Living in a social affordable estate and never a problem bar one or two families. I'm all for integration as coming from the US iv'e seen how large scale social housing projects work and it's an utter disaster.

Anecdotal evidence isn't really revlevant. It's not about problem families. You say they are fine, they are relying on social housing therefore they are scum, what amazing contruibutions have they made to the country to elevate them from scum to fine.

• Advertisement

Not a myth.

The basic truth is that not everyone who works will command a salary large enough to be able to save for a deposit or qualify for a mortgage - and even if they did, they would not qualify for a mortgage high enough to buy at today's prices.

This does not mean they do not "work enough" or make them "scum" Stupid statement.

Not a myth.

The basic truth is that not everyone who works will command a salary large enough to be able to save for a deposit or qualify for a mortgage - and even if they did, they would not qualify for a mortgage high enough to buy at today's prices.

This does not mean they do not "work enough". Stupid statement.

They can rent.

Maybe they are working parttime is what I meant by not working enough.

Sweeping statement there.
    There's a council to our back right.
    Parents and 3 late teens.
    4 working.
    Although the 1 has her own child already

Great 1 family out of 200,000

This discussion is just annoying me, I want to enjoy my Sunday so I'm out. If you're not housing yourself by default you are scum that is my opion on the matter.

They can rent.

Maybe they are working parttime is what I meant by not working enough.

Many people on low income work will rely on HAP to rent.

I am sure you think they are "scum" too.

This discussion is just annoying me, I want to enjoy my Sunday so I'm out. If you're not housing yourself by default you are scum that is my opion on the matter.

Thanks for proving my last point.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Biker79 wrote: »
    The real issue here is not social housing - its why there is so much cultural dysfunction among people who avail of social housing.

Where does all of this come from? Its making Dublin unliveable for a lot of people.

Why? The growth of the welfare state. Instead of welfare being provided for decent people who've fallen on hard times, it's now an industry where you can opt to live the welfare lifestyle by choice. We reward people who have chosen to drop out of society. The inevitable result is generations of families who assume that the Government owes them a living.

Irish politicians - Fianna Fail in particular - have used the welfare system as a means to buy votes. Promising to increase welfare is a guaranteed vote getter. Fine Gael, to their credit, have made noises about the need to change this culture, with Leo Varadkar in particular making noises about welfare fraud and the by now infamous statement about rewarding people who get up early. Of course he and Fine Gael have been condemned for this by the usual lefty suspects as being right wing nutters determined to herd the unfortunate poor people into concentration camps. Meanwhile, career welfare lifestyle merchants are pissing themselves laughing at those who work for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

On the broader issue, there is something special that happens when a bunch of young couples, mostly around the same stage of life, with small kids or about to have kids, move into a new estate when it is built. This creates friendships for life, with the kids running in and out of each other's houses, and the parents getting to share in these important stages of life.
    rn wrote: »
    Had a nice house in a nice estate in an urban area that I bought at height of boom. All privately owned houses. Had mortgage nearly paid off. Developers had gone belly up and had many a debate with council to get estate taken over. Anyway in 2016 two houses that were under some sort of bank control and were auctioned. Both were bought by council. They weren't in bad condition, but were gutted and upgraded. Loads of new insulation added, new laminate floors to many rooms. Stoves fitted and all professionally cleaned. Looked like new houses really and defo higher standard than the existing residents. Anyway after the social housing dice were cast we ended up with a huge traveller family in one and an older couple in other. The older couple are grand and have kept place well, even started a garden. The travellers have been a challenging, although the parents have tried to be good. Silly stuff really like 15 kids monopolising green area when their cousins call over. There's 7 kids in the family with 6 boys under 8. The kids play with any toys left out, so all ours have to come inside. The traveller kids pee behind trees on green areas. There's been no fighting or crime thankfully, but what's clear is parents can't control them and you could easily see that coming in next 10 years. All the small things add up unfortunately.

Honestly, if that's your definition of anti-social behaviour, you've lived a fairly sheltered, privileged life.

Do you have statistical proof of this ridiculous claim? Anecdotal evidence isn't really revlevant (sic).

Where and how do you expect the minimum wage earners who mind your children and care for your parents, who clean your toilets and serve your coffee to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Well you're a person of reason

The disabled
    The aged
    The sick
    The abandoned mothers
    The abandoned fathers
    The poor

Scum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Anecdotal evidence isn't really revlevant. It's not about problem families. You say they are fine, they are relying on social housing therefore they are scum, what amazing contruibutions have they made to the country to elevate them from scum to fine.

You seem very angry. I don't see why you view them as scum. Every developed nation has social housing to some extent. Are they all scum?

Not everyone can afford 400k for a house in Dublin for instance.

• Advertisement

Do you have statistical proof of this ridiculous claim? Anecdotal evidence isn't really revlevant (sic).

Where and how do you expect the minimum wage earners who mind your children and care for your parents, who clean your toilets and serve your coffee to live?

To live outside Dublin and commute like so many others.

You seem very angry. I don't see why you view them as scum. Every developed nation has social housing to some extent. Are they all scum?

Not everyone can afford 400k for a house in Dublin for instance.

There are houses going for €150k in Tallaght. They can live next door to me.

Well you're a person of reason

The disabled
    The aged
    The sick
    The abandoned mothers
    The abandoned fathers
    The poor

Scum?

The disabled no. The aged should have housed themselves and/or got a decent pension before they got old. The sick is the same as the disabled. Single parents in many cases could be making a better effort to house themselves, obviously there are many that can't and that's ok. Many people are now chosing to become single parents for the financial gain. The poor? being poor is a choice, before the pandemic we had 100% employment and 3 bed houses available to rent in the countryside for cheep.

I really am going this time :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Why? The growth of the welfare state. Instead of welfare being provided for decent people who've fallen on hard times, it's now an industry where you can opt to live the welfare lifestyle by choice. We reward people who have chosen to drop out of society. The inevitable result is generations of families who assume that the Government owes them a living.

Irish politicians - Fianna Fail in particular - have used the welfare system as a means to buy votes. Promising to increase welfare is a guaranteed vote getter. Fine Gael, to their credit, have made noises about the need to change this culture, with Leo Varadkar in particular making noises about welfare fraud and the by now infamous statement about rewarding people who get up early. Of course he and Fine Gael have been condemned for this by the usual lefty suspects as being right wing nutters determined to herd the unfortunate poor people into concentration camps. Meanwhile, career welfare lifestyle merchants are pissing themselves laughing at those who work for a living.

Nail on the head. You can also add the inability of successive governments to create meaningful long term employment, and so choose a policy of wealth transfer through social welfare, rather than job creation.

This policy also ends up over time rewarding degeneracy.

Wouldn't be such an issue of half of Dublin west of Heuston station and a large chunk of the inner city aren't being affected. Social welfare families are growing faster than any other cohort in Ireland and the UK.

Mix this with the housing crisis. immigration being dictated by EU quotas and Dublin will not be a place to live in the coming decade unless you're by the dart line. The inner city is already deteriorating for these reasons. This had started well before covid.

The disabled no. The aged should have housed themselves and/or got a decent pension before they got old. The sick is the same as the disabled. Single parents in many cases could be making a better effort to house themselves, obviously there are many that can't and that's ok. Many people are now chosing to become single parents for the financial gain. The poor? being poor is a choice, before the pandemic we had 100% employment and 3 bed houses available to rent in the countryside for cheep.

Thanks for making me laugh out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Varadkar did say he’d look after “the man who got up early in the morning to go to work “ but he seemed to have a bout of amnesia afterwards. That lost him many votes, mine included. He continued to give the dedicated wasters more than the working man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Majority don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

This discussion is just annoying me, I want to enjoy my Sunday so I'm out.

That's working well for you I see...
    To live outside Dublin and commute like so many others.
    There are houses going for €150k in Tallaght. They can live next door to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Varadkar did say he’d look after “the man who got up early in the morning to go to work “ but he seemed to have a bout of amnesia afterwards. That lost him many votes, mine included. He continued to give the dedicated wasters more than the working man.

So who did you vote for instead? Genuine question. No other party that I can see (apart from the National Party who are a bit too far right for my tastes) are even asking questions about the Irish welfare state, never mind actually doing anything about it. Fine Gael will still get my vote until a credible alternative emerges. I'm not holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So who did you vote for instead? Genuine question. No other party that I can see (apart from the National Party who are a bit too far right for my tastes) are even asking questions about the Irish welfare state, never mind actually doing anything about it. Fine Gael will still get my vote until a credible alternative emerges. I'm not holding my breath.

I voted for an Independent I know. Probably a wasted vote I know.
    I couldn’t vote for FG on that occasion after what was promised and not delivered. I expect promises to be kept.

Advertisement