Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house in a new estate today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd prefer that there weren't people getting a house almost free that I'm breaking my balls for 30 years to pay for!
    you are breaking your balls for 30 years because you have decided to purchase an asset...your choice. those in social housing are simple renting from the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

oceanman wrote: »
    but someone should care because thats not how the social mix is supposed to work, it defeats the purpose.

Who should care? The builder gets what he wants, the private buyers get what they want (the ones who would rather not share their estate with social housing) then council still get to house people from their list.

As I said its a win win

The council dont even care about the rights and wrongs of social housing, they have lapped up a local estate next to me with 100% social housing. Their attitude is if there is a house and a person to be housed they will house them. They dont care about the %, the lack of integration.
    Social housing is nothing more than a box ticking exercise for local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I am of the opinion that its only worth living in an apartment centre of a city or a one off house in the country, the in between is not as attractive but I think is where most people live. If needs must I would do it but I don't like housing estates in general whether owned or social.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The councils have a habit of buying houses to use as social. You don't get 100% social housing estates anymore that I am aware of. Basically no matter where you buy, luxury apartment, private area, the state or council might buy or lease next door. Talk to your TD/Councilor. Shouldn't be spending tax monies in such a manner. For decades they use to only buy houses off market in extreme emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Right before Brexit? Not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bowie wrote: »
    The councils have a habit of buying houses to use as social. You don't get 100% social housing estates anymore that I am aware of. Basically no matter where you buy, luxury apartment, private area, the state or council might buy or lease next door. Talk to your TD/Councilor. Shouldn't be spending tax monies in such a manner. For decades they use to only buy houses off market in extreme emergencies.

The problem is now any new development is qp% straight to the council, cluid might buy more . Theres one estate in kilcock where they waited till 40% was sold and cluid bought the rest so theres 40-50 couples paid over 350k for a house to be surrounded by mostly unemployed people paying 30 a week to be there, when their kids start being teens itll be like living in a lebanon warzone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭highdef

Wouldn't buy a house in a housing estate, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I wouldn't buy a house at all at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Tork

riclad wrote: »
    If you want to avoid social housing buy a house in an estate that 10 years old.Social housing is given to old people and people on disablity allowance , not just to single mothers .

Why 10 years old?

In my anecdotal experience, councils are buying up quite a lot of the houses which come onto the market, no matter what age they are. After moving in with my OH I sold my house which was in a private estate. I'm glad I got out of there because there are more and more council and rented houses in there. I called in to see a former neighbour last year and was shocked by how the entire place had gone down. It's rough looking in places now and I expect that'll continue. If I was faced with the choice again, I'd avoid estates if possible. Sorry if that makes me a snob but that's how I feel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

oceanman wrote: »
    you are breaking your balls for 30 years because you have decided to purchase an asset...your choice. those in social housing are simple renting from the state.

That might either be the most deluded post I’ve e we read on the subject - or you are Paul Murphy, or that posh boy who’s ma is a film star. Or both.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Tork wrote: »
    Why 10 years old?

In my anecdotal experience, councils are buying up quite a lot of the houses which come onto the market, no matter what age they are. After moving in with my OH I sold my house which was in a private estate. I'm glad I got out of there because there are more and more council and rented houses in there. I called in to see a former neighbour last year and was shocked by how the entire place had gone down. It's rough looking in places now and I expect that'll continue. If I was faced with the choice again, I'd avoid estates if possible. Sorry if that makes me a snob but that's how I feel.

But not at all, I’ve been working from home this last seven months abd I’m struck by how quiet my estate is.

It was built in 05 at the peak of the boom - and I’ve only ever seen two houses for sale in that time I’ve been here. Tenants change rarely.

It’s as quiet as you like. Thank God!

Gervais08 wrote: »
    But not at all, I’ve been working from home this last seven months abd I’m struck by how quiet my estate is.

It was built in 05 at the peak of the boom - and I’ve only ever seen two houses for sale in that time I’ve been here. Tenants change rarely.

It’s as quiet as you like. Thank God!

Where I work is very similar, people wait for years in hope a property comes to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cousin both a house in a very well to do part of Cork back in 2007, 750k he paid for the house. The crash happened, the developer owed fees to the council so gave up a load of houses in this estate to them. It's absolutely overrun with teenage gangs now and incidents from there are on social media regularly.
    Makes him feel sick how hard he worked to live in the nicest area and people were handed out these mansions who have no respect for their neighbours or area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

rob316 wrote: »
    Cousin both a house in a very well to do part of Cork back in 2007, 750k he paid for the house. The crash happened, the developer owed fees to the council so gave up a load of houses in this estate to them. It's absolutely overrun with teenage gangs now and incidents from there are on social media regularly.
    Makes him feel sick how hard he worked to live in the nicest area and people were handed out these mansions who have no respect for their neighbours or area.

But we have to give unending freebies to the mist vulnerable in society.
    If you dont agree with this, then you must be a rich, evil, fascist landlord.

Here's the thing. With social housing you do have problems occasionally with problem behaviour. You also have problems from those not in social housing.

On this thread and countless threads like it you have people not from social housing referring to those from social housing as "feral, scum or low lives". You can't tell me someone with that level of hate is a joy to live beside?

So to be honest I wouldn't live on a housing estate but not for the reasons mentioned. It's because of fact that a lot of the people on housing estates seem to spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about people poorer than them next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Here's the thing. With social housing you do have problems occasionally with problem behaviour. You also have problems from those not in social housing.

On this thread and countless threads like it you have people not from social housing referring to those from social housing as "feral, scum or low lives". You can't tell me someone with that level of hate is a joy to live beside?

So to be honest I wouldn't live on a housing estate but not for the reasons mentioned. It's because of fact that a lot of the people on housing estates seem to spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about people poorer than them next door.

The reason you choose not to live on an estate is that there may be some snobs on it?

I dont believe that my friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The reason you choose not to live on an estate is that there may be some snobs on it?

Huge issues living next to privately owned housing ive heard.

"my neighbour makes a racket when he starts his car at 8am to go to work"
    "my neighbours kids make noise when they come home from school which they attend every day"
    "my hangover gets twice as bad when my neighbour cuts the communal grass verge outside the house at 10am on a Sunday"
    "there was a fierce racket at 5 on a Saturday evening when my neighbours were celebrating their son graduating college"
    "the neighbours called the gards on my dealer"

its terrible Joe....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you are worried about social housing , buy an house thats 20 plus years old, a terraced house in a town or urban area.
    It might be smaller than a brand new house , thats built to high spec standards of energy effeciency and insulation .

my friend bought a house 14 years ago , it was brand new ,
    it was a corner house , her garden was very large, like twice the size of any other house in the estate .in a brand new estate.
    She had no problem with any neighbours in the estate .
    i dont know if there were any neighbours nearby who were on hap.
    Estate was built by a local building company.
    buy a new house ,you will get a front garden, with a driveway,,
    with space to park 1 or 2 cars.

i would not buy a house in the middle of estate ,
    eg you will probably have a house behind you, to the right and the left,

you ,ll have more privacy if you buy a corner house.
    eg you,ll just have a house to the left side
    or one house on the right of your house .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,974 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i bought a house in a new estate this year. I think 1 or two of the houses up from me are social as I never saw them for sale - only hear a couple of months but no issues, lovely estate.

ideally we'd have bought somewhere a bit more private rather than an estate but the 5% HTB scheme was needed and that can only be got for new builds, made a huge difference to us in terms of being able to buy and move in.

I grew up in Dublin suburbia. I also lived in an apartment in Santry (Northwood) for 18 months. I have been living in a decently sized house in a little hamlet about 40km west of Dublin for over 10 years. Best decision I ever made. The house (which was part old cottage and part new build) needed work to finish it but it cost about 1/4 the price of the equivalent in Dublin and is now worth about double of what I paid for it. The front garden is not massive by country standards but I've a lawn and flower beds out the front plus a separate driveway that could fit a half dozen cars in it if required. Back gardens are a good size with wandering pathways through the flora and I have created different compartments for want of a better word plus I've built a pond too for the frogs and other wildlife. I really would be lost without the gardens.

I'm looking out my upstairs office window and I see cows in the field opposite with rolling fields beyond. The setting itself is therapeutic with nature all round and very friendly neighbours. There is literally NEVER any trouble in the area. Everyone knows everyone and if there there were to be any messing going on, you'll be found out pretty quickly and it'll be dealt with locally. Life moves at a slower pace, everything is more relaxed. A 50 minute walk around the 5k block could take a couple of hours due to meeting neighbours/strangers along the way and engaging in chat. I have fibre to the home so have the best broadband connection one can get.

I could never move back to Dublin although I can get as far as Heuston station in about 30 minutes by car so I'm not exactly far from the hustle and bustle, should I want it (which I don't).

The world as changed. Living in a housing estate near/in the city is not required for a large proportion of people. Housing estate houses are way overpriced for what you get, IMO.

For relaxing country living @ less than 300k, you could bag yourself this: https://www.daft.ie/meath/houses-for-sale/kells/copper-beech-cottage-carlanstown-kells-meath-2406101/ Only 2 minutes from Carlanstown village where you can get your basics and less than 10 minutes from Kells for your big shop.

For 370k, there's this very nicely finished home with lovely gardens: https://www.daft.ie/meath/houses-for-sale/kells/limekiln-lodge-moynalty-kells-meath-2585475/ This is less than 2 minutes walk to the centre of the small but beautiful village on Moynalty in Meath. Just found this house now and I myself really like it, both for quality of the house, the price and the location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

highdef wrote: »
    I grew up in Dublin suburbia. I also lived in an apartment in Santry (Northwood) for 18 months. I have been living in a decently sized house in a little hamlet about 40km west of Dublin for over 10 years. Best decision I ever made. The house (which was part old cottage and part new build) needed work to finish it but it cost about 1/4 the price of the equivalent in Dublin and is now worth about double of what I paid for it. The front garden is not massive by country standards but I've a lawn and flower beds out the front plus a separate driveway that could fit a half dozen cars in it if required. Back gardens are a good size with wandering pathways through the flora and I have created different compartments for want of a better word plus I've built a pond too for the frogs and other wildlife. I really would be lost without the gardens.

I'm looking out my upstairs office window and I see cows in the field opposite with rolling fields beyond. The setting itself is therapeutic with nature all round and very friendly neighbours. There is literally NEVER any trouble in the area. Everyone knows everyone and if there there were to be any messing going on, you'll be found out pretty quickly and it'll be dealt with locally. Life moves at a slower pace, everything is more relaxed. A 50 minute walk around the 5k block could take a couple of hours due to meeting neighbours/strangers along the way and engaging in chat. I have fibre to the home so have the best broadband connection one can get.

I could never move back to Dublin although I can get as far as Heuston station in about 30 minutes by car so I'm not exactly far from the hustle and bustle, should I want it (which I don't).

The world as changed. Living in a housing estate near/in the city is not required for a large proportion of people. Housing estate houses are way overpriced for what you get, IMO.

For relaxing country living @ less than 300k, you could bag yourself this: https://www.daft.ie/meath/houses-for-sale/kells/copper-beech-cottage-carlanstown-kells-meath-2406101/ Only 2 minutes from Carlanstown village where you can get your basics and less than 10 minutes from Kells for your big shop.

For 370k, there's this very nicely finished home with lovely gardens: https://www.daft.ie/meath/houses-for-sale/kells/limekiln-lodge-moynalty-kells-meath-2585475/ This is less than 2 minutes walk to the centre of the small but beautiful village on Moynalty in Meath. Just found this house now and I myself really like it, both for quality of the house, the price and the location.

interesting but im slightly confused , you said the house you bought " has doubled in value " and then provide links to two other houses , are you selling the house you currently live in and planning to move ?

Huge issues living next to privately owned housing ive heard.

"my neighbour makes a racket when he starts his car at 8am to go to work"
    "my neighbours kids make noise when they come home from school which they attend every day"
    "my hangover gets twice as bad when my neighbour cuts the communal grass verge outside the house at 10am on a Sunday"
    "there was a fierce racket at 5 on a Saturday evening when my neighbours were celebrating their son graduating college"
    "the neighbours called the gards on my dealer"

its terrible Joe....

Eric you have repeatedly stated that social housing contains undesirables who do not work ect. Well in my experience non-social housing also contains undesirables too. In fact I'd say that most people have had unpleasant experiences in life with people not from social housing.

You also have a very childlike view of people who don't live in social housing. It seems a bit little house on the prairie to be honest. I've lived with all sorts over the years and let me say that I hope I don't shock you too much when I say that people with jobs can be d1cks and anti-social too.

I won't surprise you to know that I consider people who refer to children of people without jobs as "feral scum" as complete d1cks and lacking in social skills. That's been my experience in dealing with people with these views.

So you'll excuse me for wanting to live away from all that in a single family home. I've rented for long time and have met plenty of people with views like this. All of them self hating and unbearable. So now that I can buy a house I'd rather not live away from people like that.

Pkiernan wrote: »

In fairness some of the comments on here on Boards go well beyond snobbery. Referring to children as feral and scum. I've encountered enough people like this in life. The irony is that they're projecting their self hate based on the fact they can't afford to live outside of an estate themselves.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    interesting but im slightly confused , you said the house you bought " has doubled in value " and then provide links to two other houses , are you selling the house you currently live in and planning to move ?

No plans to move.

You only have to look at London to see what could happen in Dublin. Peckham was one of the roughest areas of London but now it's unaffordable.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You only have to look at London to see what could happen in Dublin. Peckham was one of the roughest areas of London but now it's unaffordable.

Many "good" parts of Dublin started out as large social housing estates, but over the years former tenants bought them, and now have second/third generations living there or trying to buy there.

How soon people forget. Many of these are the very ones who would turn their noses up at living near social housing areas now, but forget these roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KiraNerys

I've posted it before and I'll say it again. This impostion of the 10% rulebig for social housing is ridiculous. The blatant example is if a developer builds a small estate of 10 luxury houses to sell at 1 million Euro each, that one lucky social housing recipient gets to win the lottery. How is that fair to anyone?

you can say it til you're blue in the face...its pure nonsense. The million euro house isn't sold to social housing!

The amount of misinformation on here mixed with epic judging is madness.

The councils aren't buying up houses, the tenants aren't council tenants. AHB's such as Cluid and Tuath are, and they are buying cheaper houses in new build estates to get the max number of homes for their money. Social housing tenants are simply renting their houses from the housing bodies, for a lower rate than private renting. They aren't given them, they don't own them. They aren't taking anything from you if you have bought the house next door.. All the rules for renting apply, they sign contracts and can and are evicted for non payment of rent or anti social behaviours.

Most social tenants are perfectly nice people from various backgrounds, the only thing they have in common is that they can't afford to buy their own homes. This can be for many different reasons. To call them all feral and scum and idle is just your nasty prejudice, its not based on reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

KiraNerys wrote: »
    you can say it til you're blue in the face...its pure nonsense. The million euro house isn't sold to social housing!

The amount of misinformation on here mixed with epic judging is madness.

The councils aren't buying up houses, the tenants aren't council tenants. AHB's such as Cluid and Tuath are, and they are buying cheaper houses in new build estates to get the max number of homes for their money. Social housing tenants are simply renting their houses from the housing bodies, for a lower rate than private renting. They aren't given them, they don't own them. They aren't taking anything from you if you have bought the house next door.. All the rules for renting apply, they sign contracts and can and are evicted for non payment of rent or anti social behaviours.

Most social tenants are perfectly nice people from various backgrounds, the only thing they have in common is that they can't afford to buy their own homes. This can be for many different reasons. To call them all feral and scum and idle is just your nasty prejudice, its not based on reality.

Agree totally with this.

I cant say the million euro house is but the 500K house sure it. Ive seen it. 4 bed detached homes in an area where similar homes are selling for 495. Fully furnished too.

Now Im all for supporting those on lower incomes to buy homes but there is something very wrong when we see homes valued at close to half a million euro being going to social housing.

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    I cant say the million euro house is but the 500K house sure it. Ive seen it. 4 bed detached homes in an area where similar homes are selling for 495. Fully furnished too.

Now Im all for supporting those on lower incomes to buy homes but there is something very wrong when we see homes valued at close to half a million euro being going to social housing.

To be honest I'm more disturbed by the types of houses that are being valued at half a million. Our economy had a massive recession, partly based on construction and property. House prices were massively over inflated and it looks like the same thing is happening again to a degree.

You may call social welfare recipients feral or scum but let's not forget that it was working professionals who saddled every Irish man woman and child with huge debt.

Advertisement